Give me your input on this monitor...

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
NewEgg is having a special today on this monitor for $170 (after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

It seems like it would be a great monitor as there are many user reviews (which are usually worthless, i know) praising it for it's excellent image quality.

However, i've read bad things about the poor menu and buttons and some people are on the opposite side of the spectrum saying that the image quality isn't that great and that it ends up distorting the image.

I'm in the ballpark for a new monitor and an Asus isn't probably the first choice since I usually only buy motherboards from them. But I've had a big honking red line down the center of my current monitor for 9 months and it's getting to be unbearable.

So, opinions? Get it? Forget it and wait for a better deal on a better monitor?

For the price you can't beat it, but keep in mind that a max resolution of 1080p isn't really that great for a monitor. You're not going to be doing any super-high-res gaming on it, and I wonder what lower resolutions it accepts (don't see those listed in specs).

Well my current monitor has a native res of 1680x1050 (which some people call low?), so it can only get better. However, it would be nice to know if a lower resolution would look any good on it.

I went for it. I decided there was enough good buzz about it and the only real major complaints were the clunky menu and not enough view tilting angle. All small potatoes IMO. Also got a Western Digital 1TB hard drive for 90 bucks. $270 all together.

I'll post some pics and impressions later if anybody really cares.

However, i've read bad things about the poor menu and buttons and some???
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

I have a 24 inch monitor from them, while not as good as yours, it has performed very nice over the year I had the monitor. No complaints whatsoever.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']...praising it for it's excellent image quality.[/QUOTE]

A 6-bit TN panel will never have "excellent" image quality. Don't get me wrong, they can be very very good (have one myself), but I would never call them excellent since they are incapable of displaying the true 24-bit color spectrum a monitor with an 8-bit panel can.

Alright, after about 5 days with this monitor, I think I can finally post my impressions of it.

It's awesome. The colors are super rich. I thought it looked a bit off at first, but that was because my old monitor was so washed out I figured out. I wasn't used to such nice looking colors. The menu is a little clunky, but it's not a huge deal. The viewing angle problem is non-existent for me, and my 360 looks fantastic on it connected via the HDMI cable. Since i'm sitting so close though, I can see aliasing all over the place. But only if i'm looking for it.

So all in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Thanks to all who helped out and posted their opinion!

Personally, I like being able to run my monitors at 1600x1200, especially if they are 21 inches or larger. (obviously, even wider for a widescreen aspect) But I am a graphics designer, so higher resolutions are more important to me than the average user.

bread's done
Back