Glasses, Contacts, Surgery, or Perfect Vision

I've had glasses since third grade. 29 now. So over 20 years. I could go for Lasik but I hate things close to my eyes. Maybe after I go sky-diving this summer I can do it. Plus they said I'm so close to the top limits that I may still have to wear glasses for reading and such. Not sure if it's worth it then.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Glasses. I wear contacts for special occasions, but working in front of a computer every day make my eyes too dry to wear them daily. Once my vision stabilizes, I want to do laser.[/quote]

Ditto... exactly.

I wear glasses, but generally for words and signs that are far away. Like stuff on the whiteboard at college. I know I have needed glasses since at least my sophomore year in high school, but never did. After getting them it was a world of differences as far as my sight was concerned, I'll probably get lasik in the future, depending on the cost and other factors.

I think you should forfeit your eyesight if you sit way too close to the screen. It was my parents actually who told me not to sit so damned close, otherwise I'd have to wear glasses. Seems like sage advice.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I've done it for 5 years heavily and haven't had a huge problem, but it could be why my left eye isn't as good as it use to be. I just have strain every once in a while (not everyday) thankfully. Right now, it's just really painful.
[/QUOTE]

lets put it this way-- your eyes aren't getting any healthier. strain and headaches are a sure sign that your eyes aren't enjoying all that time in front of the screen. there's no way you could keep up 12-17 hours a day without some bad side effects. especially if you keep it up for another 5 years.

[quote name='Thongsy']I wear glasses, but generally for words and signs that are far away. Like stuff on the whiteboard at college. I know I have needed glasses since at least my sophomore year in high school, but never did. After getting them it was a world of differences as far as my sight was concerned, I'll probably get lasik in the future, depending on the cost and other factors.[/QUOTE]You could just sit in the front row of every class like me, to see the front. ;) Yeah, most people who got glasses that I know of, told me they couldn't believe how bad their eyes really are. I'd probably learn that myself, but I'll get around to it one day.
[quote name='Apossum']lets put it this way-- your eyes aren't getting any healthier. strain and headaches are a sure sign that your eyes aren't enjoying all that time in front of the screen. there's no way you could keep up 12-17 hours a day without some bad side effects. especially if you keep it up for another 5 years.[/QUOTE]I'll try doing that for five years and prove my vision won't get worse. ;) j/k though.

[quote name='tiredfornow']1 for perfect vision.[/QUOTE]

Likewise. Can't say I'm surprised at the results of this poll :lol:

i'm thinking of getting lasik surgery. anybody can give me info? i'm 20 right now and sick of glasses and contacts all together

[quote name='crazytalkx']Likewise. Can't say I'm surprised at the results of this poll :lol:[/QUOTE]Is it because you think most everyone here is a nerd/geek (well, I'm not one of them oh course), because many of those people wear glasses and spend too much time on the PC.

[quote name='shadylane']i'm thinking of getting lasik surgery. anybody can give me info? i'm 20 right now and sick of glasses and contacts all together[/QUOTE]I just know for sure it isn't cheap, and I believe your eyes need to mature/stabilize for a while, before it can be done. I believe those who get it, can't wear contacts for a while. I never had to go through it, but that's just stuff I overheard.

I tried this vision chart, with my right eye and left. Using a 17" LCD monitor with a resolution of 1024 X 768, my left eye cannot see the bottom two rows and only part of the third row. My right eye can't see the bottom row, and only part of the second to last row. I don't know how much a person with perfect vision (with or without glasses) can see.

From my brief exploration of the pricing of laser eye surgery, it can range anywhere from 600$ an eye to 2k an eye. Most insurance won't pay for most of that, though I believe it is an FSA-eligible expense (save on taxes at least, if you plan the year before).

Bobthecat: That's one of my major concerns. First, just the general creepiness of someone using a laser on my eye when I'm awake; and second, yes, the odds of them screwing up are low, but the stakes are high.

I voted contacts but I use my glasses 50% of the time and contacts 50% of the time. My left eye is worse than the right because I have an astigmatism in it.

[quote name='dtcarson']From my brief exploration of the pricing of laser eye surgery, it can range anywhere from 600$ an eye to 2k an eye. Most insurance won't pay for most of that, though I believe it is an FSA-eligible expense (save on taxes at least, if you plan the year before).

Bobthecat: That's one of my major concerns. First, just the general creepiness of someone using a laser on my eye when I'm awake; and second, yes, the odds of them screwing up are low, but the stakes are high.[/quote]

yeah if i ever get lasik i'll make sure to have it done by the best even if i have to drive or fly across the country. that's definitely something you DON'T want to be cheap about. :)

i'm probably -5 in both eyes now, last known prescription was -4.5 but i know they've gotten a little worse.

[quote name='Chitown021']I voted contacts but I use my glasses 50% of the time and contacts 50% of the time. My left eye is worse than the right because I have an astigmatism in it.[/QUOTE]Question, is your right eye 20/20, or slightly worse than 20/20? Just curious, because I'm still wondering if there are those who one eye is perfect (or near), while their other eye is pretty bad.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Question, is your right eye 20/20, or slightly worse than 20/20? Just curious, because I'm still wondering if there are those who one eye is perfect (or near), while their other eye is pretty bad.[/quote]

No, my right eye is bad and my left is worse. I'm very near sighted without my glasses or contacts in. I don't remember what my vision is w/o corrective lenses but it's not good. Also having an astigmatism sucks because I have to buy the specialized toric lenses and they cost a lot more than regular.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Question, is your right eye 20/20, or slightly worse than 20/20? Just curious, because I'm still wondering if there are those who one eye is perfect (or near), while their other eye is pretty bad.[/quote]

My left eye is around 20/20 but my right eye is horrible because of the astigmaism. I bet if I wore an eye patch I could be see better than I normally do and become a modern day pirate.:bouncy:

I'm still waiting for more info from those people that had lasik surgery? How was it after all these years? More info please.

[quote name='Thongsy']My left eye is around 20/20 but my right eye is horrible because of the astigmaism. I bet if I wore an eye patch I could be see better than I normally do and become a modern day pirate.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]I'm betting I have the same problem too (but in my left eye). I'm probably not going to bother getting it checked until I'm out of college and have a decent income. My income goes to games, anime, and other important stuff for now (although my parents may cover me now, I just feel bad making them pay).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']So the question of this thread is to see who wear glasses, contacts, had surgery, has perfect vision, or has no clue what their vision is because they're too cheap, lazy, etc. to get their eyes checked.

I use to think I had perfect vision, but when I took a Physical back in 2003, I failed the vision test and was told to see an eye doctor. Well, I still never did. From what I gather, my right eye seems to be perfect, but my left eye isn't. But since only one eye isn't perfect and I don't really drive (and I sit in the front row in classes), not worth the hassle for me to pay $50 for an exam.

All right, so what's the percentage at CAG? On most gaming forums, the percentage who wear glasses/constacts is usually above 50%.[/QUOTE]

You should have had an option for people who know what their vision is and may even have glasses or contacts but never wear them. I wear my glasses all the time but have known plenty of people with lousy vision who never wore theirs. I've heard that about 50% of the population has poor vision and it doesn't seem like any where near that number wear glasses or contacts or get their eyes corrected so there must be tons of people running and driving around with poor vision. Disturbing when you think about it.

[quote name='Collectordragon']You should have had an option for people who know what their vision is and may even have glasses or contacts but never wear them. I wear my glasses all the time but have known plenty of people with lousy vision who never wore theirs. I've heard that about 50% of the population has poor vision and it doesn't seem like any where near that number wear glasses or contacts or get their eyes corrected so there must be tons of people running and driving around with poor vision. Disturbing when you think about it.[/QUOTE]What I meant by my poll was, some people have glasses and wear them all the time, or some people have them but never wear them. That counts as having glasses, because a doctor prescribed them to that person.

My last option, was intended for those who probably don't have perfect vision, or aren't 100% sure what their vision is. For the most part, those who have not seen an eye doctor and never got glasses prescribed to them.

I doubt there are many drivers out there who don't wear glasses/contacts who have worse than 20/40 vision (unless they cheated and wore glasses on the exam at the DMV, but took them off on their picture and not wearing them while driving). If people don't meet the requirement, they will have a restriction on their license. I barely got by the test on my left eye.

I'm one of those people who probably doesn't have perfect vision (I can tell because a lot of stuff looks blurry to me, especially through my left eye. My right eye, seems okay, but it might be slightly off 20/20). I always thought my vision was perfect until I could see crap on an eye chart at the doctor's office four years ago, and my eyes seem to be getting worse since then. However, I'm not 100% sure or convinced I need glasses, which is why I won't get them checked (Eye Exams are expensive). I need to spend my money on more video games, lol. ;) It's not just a matter of the eye exam, but glasses aren't exactly cheap either (I believe at least $200). And if I need them, not sure I can pay that amount currently, especially if it was mostly fixing one eye. But, if I had two really bad eyes (basically being blind without glasses), then I'd have no choice, but I'm not blind yet.

Surprised so many people wear glasses. From my personal experience eye doctors are out to make money. I don't wear glasses, but my eye doctor told me I need some when I was 8 or so. Got glasses went back in 6 months later just to make sure everything was good. "oh noes you need another set of glasses that are stronger." Thats just one of many things he told me, and pretty much everyone in my family. I see fine nowadays.

All right, I think I'm about ready to give up and get my eyes checked this year. Today I went golfing with my Dad for a little (he kind of forced me out a little). For one, I had lots of trouble seeing where my ball went, so I lost several balls. Second off, I either couldn't see the flag on the green or just see a blur ahead. Due to my eyes having to focus really hard, I had a HUGE headache from my eyes, because I was trying really hard to focus clearly (especially out of my left). And a giant scoreboard near the parking lot, I could see it all right with my right eye, but my left eye couldn't see it at all. I was thinking I was just getting headaches from looking at my PC/TV too much, but I seem to get it whenever I'm using my eyes extensively. This sucks because I was hoping to go quite a while without getting glasses. :(

Sorry for the rant, but this is really the first time I needed good vision, and I can tell I may not have it. :(

Wow, CAG is blind. Glasses for me, since 3rd grade. I have very sensitive eyes, so contacts were never really feasible for me. One day I might look into surgery, but considering my vision degredation has slowed down to where I only need new prescriptions every 5 years or so, it's not really something I'm worrying myself about.

I wear glassees as well I tried getting contacts but when I went to go get them the lady who was there was too busy helping customers then trieng to show me how to put them on that I have never put contacts on. Just a pain to put on so I wear mostly glasses inside the car and in class. Other then that I dont put my glasses on regularly.

[quote name='ttriber']I wear glassees as well I tried getting contacts but when I went to go get them the lady who was there was too busy helping customers then trieng to show me how to put them on that I have never put contacts on. Just a pain to put on so I wear mostly glasses inside the car and in class. Other then that I dont put my glasses on regularly.[/QUOTE]I'd just try to see the doctor sometime they aren't busy to learn, because I'd think having to deal with glasses would be a pain (like they fog up in rain), hang on you when doing stuff (may not feel natural). I can't say if this is the case because I don't wear glasses.

I'm a tad curious because I tried on a pair of glasses (near sighted ones), and they didn't appear to help me see any better with my left eye. I'm getting worried my problem just might not be correctable.

Last time I went to the eye doctor I barely passed the exam for 20/20 (you can get up to 2 letters wrong for each eye, and I got 2 letters wrong each time... guessed on some though). I'll probably need glasses in the coming years, but for now I still qualify for perfect vision.

edit: When I saw the topic/poll and who made it I was gonna come in here and rag on you mana knight. But since the results have actually intrigued me I'll absolve you this time. But don't go making a bunch more stupid polls or your absolution will be retracted.

Glasses for me, starting in 8th grade.

Switched to contacts for a few years in high school. I really needed them, since I was in marching band and the stupid heavy hats we had to wear would fog up my glasses.

I liked the freedom of contacts, but didn't like cleaning them or having them spontaneously decide to eject themselves.

Went back to glasses, and since polycarbonate lenses came into being, have stuck with them. They're light and durable and they're simpler than contacts.

I don't need my glasses for most things, but I do to watch TV.

I won't do Lasik. That may be Luddite of me, but since it's not even as old as I am, there are no really long term studies, and I want to still use my eyes 50 years from now, assuming I'm still around.

+1 for perfect vision. 20/10 last time I checked. I imagine I'll need glasses eventually but both my parents were in their mid-40s before they needed them...

Wore glasses starting in fifth grade. Had them or contacts until I was 34. About three years ago had Lasik and wish I had done it sooner. Better than 20/20 vision in both eyes, however, I still have a slight astigmatism that affects my vision in low light and when I am tired. I have a pair of very thin lense glasses that I sometimes wear when watching TV or driving at night. I can see in low light but somethings look fuzzy around the edges.
Lasik cost me about $900 per eye. When I first went in for the procedure the machine that holds your eye so the cornea can be cut couldn't get a good grip on my eye. The doctor said is was because my eyes are larger than average it could form a good seal. They couldn't do the procedure that day because of it. It left large red spots on my eye for several weeks and was told I may need to have a different procedure done. Also, while I was waiting a guy came in who had the procedure done a few weeks prior. He was there because he got hit in the eye and his corneal flap reopened.
Almost didn't go back. I knew that if I didn't go back though I would always wonder what could have been. So, I made another appointment, took a Valium, and went back. The second time worked and like I said earlier, I wish I had done it years ago.

Contacts when Im going out somewhere and glasses when Im too lazy to put them in or if Im somewhere where I dont think ill be able to take my contacts off. -4.50 in my right eye and -5 in my left. They appear to be stabilizing because my right eye went down over the last year (was -4.25) but my left stayed the same. Don't know if I would consider surgery. My aunt had it done and is happy with it but she had like -11.

I am nearsighted(I can see close things but not far things)?

I used to wear contacts regularly. I loved my day&night lenses that I could wear for a few weeks and often didn't even notice they were in.

Then I found out I had an astigmatism and needed toric lenses, AKA the weighted things that are different powers on different parts of the lense. They never line up properly for me so I don't wear them very often. The only problems I run into is if I drive somewhere I am not familiar with, as the signs are hard to read from a distance. It's not bad enough where I see large colored blurs.

I'm starting a new job and getting new insurance, so I may see if I can go back to more comfortable lenses, or perhaps try glasses. I've never worn them since I hate not being able to look to the sides and whatnot.

[quote name='Surferflames']I am nearsighted(I can see close things but not far things)?

I used to wear contacts regularly. I loved my day&night lenses that I could wear for a few weeks and often didn't even notice they were in.

Then I found out I had an astigmatism and needed toric lenses, AKA the weighted things that are different powers on different parts of the lense. They never line up properly for me so I don't wear them very often. The only problems I run into is if I drive somewhere I am not familiar with, as the signs are hard to read from a distance. It's not bad enough where I see large colored blurs.

I'm starting a new job and getting new insurance, so I may see if I can go back to more comfortable lenses, or perhaps try glasses. I've never worn them since I hate not being able to look to the sides and whatnot.[/quote]

I've got an astigmatism in my left eye so I have to wear the special "toric" lenses in it. I wear my contacts to work and usually wear my glasses nights and weekends. My contacts fit very comfortably until they start to get old. I think they're the newer Hydraclear that are designed to stay moist longer.

my eyes arent perfect but they work well enough that I dont need them to pass vision tests or to get by in life etc as such I am not getting glasses or contacts till I have to

bread's done
Back