Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy! (The Cards going to the series.)

legendarypegasus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
In the words of the late, great Jack Buck, "Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy."

The Cardinals are going to the world series, and what a game to win it. Edmonds made one of the greatest catches in post-season history. Suppan pitched 6 great innings, only allowing 1 earned run. Pujols showed why he should be the NL MVP. Rolen came through in the clutch. Tavarez destroyed the heart of the Astros order with a broken left hand. Renternia made several great plays at shortstop. Womack overcame his back spasms with 2 hits and great play at second. And finally, Izzy redeemed himself after his collapse in game 5 by retiring the last 3 Astros batters to get the save.

Next up the Redsox. I can't wait to crush their dreams once again

Come on Cards let's keep it Rolen (bad pun fully intended)

Crush us with who? Matt Morris? Jeff Suppan? Woody Williams? Jason Marquis? I'm not impressed.

Your lineup is good, but so were the Yankees. In the NL thats a monster lineup, in the AL its just another team.

Just two words:

THE CURSE

ph_history_timeline_story1914.jpg

GO CARDS!!

Isringhausen was the weakest closer from all the play off teams this year, and I figure he will lose (not just blow a save) at least one game this series.

As an unbiased observer I would feel pretty shaky sending him out there bottom or top of the 9th against the heart of Boston's order.

The Cards were built for the regular season, Boston was built for the playoffs.

If injuries would not have plagued the Houston and Chicago pitching staffs, the Cards would not have even made it to the playoffs.

As an unbiased observer I would feel pretty shaky sending him out there bottom or top of the 9th against the heart of Boston's order.
Well, after what we did to the best closer in baseball, maybe of all time this series...

Honestly, I would have given Houston a better chance to beat us, they have better pitching. I don't know if Fenway Park would give a chorus of boos or explode into laughter if Jeff Suppan was announced as the starting pitcher.

BTW, Did Kurt Warner ever win a single game again for the Rams after the Patriots destroyed him?

i was at the game!! it was awesome, hopefully i can get some tickets to the world series, although i would have to miss some class to go to the games, gotta make sacrifices.
--Shadd

[quote name='dafoomie']
Crush us with who? Matt Morris? Jeff Suppan? Woody Williams? Jason Marquis? I'm not impressed.

Your lineup is good, but so were the Yankees. In the NL thats a monster lineup, in the AL its just another team.[/quote]

The Boston lineup is equally suspect, Wakefield---knuckle baller can be great or can get lit up, Shilling---well who knows about that tendon held together by sutures, Pedro-- coming of a 6.23 ERA in the ALCS, and Lowe. (wild card, wonderful outing on Wed, but lets see.)

The lineup of the Cards I would place ahead of the yankees, because they can bunt and not just try to long ball it. For the Sox Manny has got to pick it up, he can't have a series like the ALCS likewise Damon, did he break the slump yesterday or was it an abberation?

I see this World Series playing out like the both the ALCS and NLCS... whoever gets the breaks and the hot bats will win.

CaseyRyback... "The cards were built for the regular season, Boston for the playoffs" that is one goofy cliche that makes no sense.

prediction. Cards in 7. (schilling only pitches one game because of injury)

goofy cliche?

How is it a goofy cliche? Pitching is the most important aspect in the playoffs, and the Red Sox have a much better pitching staff than the Cards.

Look at the Rams in the NFL and Mavs in the NBA for examples of teams built for the regular season and not the playoffs. The old adage defense wins championships is almost always true

Pedro has a history of playing bad aganist the yankees.

The boston bullpen has been damn near unhittable this postseason.

Schilling showed what he can do as long as he gets rest.

The Boston lineup can go into a slumber, but they have too much talent to stay in a slump for long. The cards do have a better overall lineup though.

Bullpens and starting pitching win championships, not having the best hitters in the league on your team.

The Boston lineup is equally suspect, Wakefield---knuckle baller can be great or can get lit up, Shilling---well who knows about that tendon held together by sutures, Pedro-- coming of a 6.23 ERA in the ALCS, and Lowe. (wild card, wonderful outing on Wed, but lets see.)

The lineup of the Cards I would place ahead of the yankees, because they can bunt and not just try to long ball it. For the Sox Manny has got to pick it up, he can't have a series like the ALCS likewise Damon, did he break the slump yesterday or was it an abberation?

I see this World Series playing out like the both the ALCS and NLCS... whoever gets the breaks and the hot bats will win.

CaseyRyback... "The cards were built for the regular season, Boston for the playoffs" that is one goofy cliche that makes no sense.

prediction. Cards in 7. (schilling only pitches one game because of injury)
You don't think Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield, and Derek Lowe are better than Matt Morris, Jeff Suppan, Woody Williams, and Jason Marquis? Are you kidding?

Wakefield pitched great against the Yankees, Schilling's first start was with a boot, his 2nd was with his tendons stitched in place, not held together. He'll be fine, he shut down the Yankees. Pedro was good in his two starts, he gave up runs in relief in game 7 to drive the ERA up. Derek Lowe came through big time in game 7, he completely shut down the Yankees for 6 innings, on 2 days rest. 2 days rest, thats unheard of for a starting pitcher.

As for the "goofy cliche", pitching wins championships, its a fact.

1)how were the cards 'built for the regular season?"

2) how differently were the sox put together for the playoffs back in march? So they didn't really care to play 4 games at fenway in the ALCS?

3) in my mind it seems the fairly new All-star winner getting home field is huge especially this year as the sox can start schilling in game 2 and maybe 6 or 7 and not have to expose him to hitting at all, whereas if the NL won either he only pitches once or ends up having to bat (which I'm sure would have been rough on that tender ankle) also Ortiz only has to play first base 3 times instead of 4 (and his D is terrible ((speaking as one who has followed the twins for a number of years)

4) in previous post you mention the Astros and Cubs injuries, but fail to mention that the Cards best pitcher Chris Carpenter has been out since sept 18.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']goofy cliche?

How is it a goofy cliche? Pitching is the most important aspect in the playoffs, and the Red Sox have a much better pitching staff than the Cards.

Look at the Rams in the NFL and Mavs in the NBA for examples of teams built for the regular season and not the playoffs. The old adage defense wins championships is almost always true

Yes.. but look at the Pats or the Pistons, they build the best team for the year and the playoffs. Baseball has a long season and a long post season--I'm not arguing that the sox don't have better starting pitching than the Cards right now, but I don''t see the difference in signing a team for the playoffs vs the regular season.

Pedro has a history of playing bad aganist the yankees.

And because of that I don't know, and I don't know if anyone knows, how good Pedro is in pressure playoff baseball anymore... he was great in 99, but after year after year of get shelled by the yankees in the playoffs how might he respond?

The boston bullpen has been damn near unhittable this postseason.

Undeniable.

Schilling showed what he can do as long as he gets rest.

The Boston lineup can go into a slumber, but they have too much talent to stay in a slump for long. The cards do have a better overall lineup though.

I would say that if Damon goes in a slump like he had against NY and Manny it would be a short series. LIkewise if Edmons, Rolen, Walkers bats go silent like they did in 3 losses to the Astros it will be a short series the other way.

Bullpens and starting pitching win championships, not having the best hitters in the league on your team.[/quote]

I would add not having the biggest names pitchers either, Cards pitchers don't look real hot on paper, but they have been solid.

[quote name='dafoomie']You don't think Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield, and Derek Lowe are better than Matt Morris, Jeff Suppan, Woody Williams, and Jason Marquis? Are you kidding?

Wakefield pitched great against the Yankees, Schilling's first start was with a boot, his 2nd was with his tendons stitched in place, not held together. He'll be fine, he shut down the Yankees. Pedro was good in his two starts, he gave up runs in relief in game 7 to drive the ERA up. Derek Lowe came through big time in game 7, he completely shut down the Yankees for 6 innings, on 2 days rest. 2 days rest, thats unheard of for a starting pitcher.

As for the "goofy cliche", pitching wins championships, its a fact.[/quote]

No you misunderstand, I'm not saying that the Sox lineup isn't better, but that it isn't unhittable. I love Schilling and hope he has 2 GREAT games to rival the 2001 series, but if the ankle gets worse the lineup takes a huge hit, I also love Wakefield and have followed him for years, but know that if he is off on that knuckleball it can be a long night (or a few innings) for him. Pedro and Lowe... solid but nothing spectacular. They lineup is solid and has potential (with Schilling) to be pretty good, but this rotation doesn't have the pop of Schilling-Johnson, or the Marlins of 2003.

Cards lineup is even more shakey.. Morris isn't right, and Izzy is getting hit in the post season, but they have been solid enough for the bats to come through.

In short I'm not blown away by the pitching of Boston nor ESPECIALLY the cards, and think this series is going to be unlike the past few where the bats are gonna win it (be it Manny-Ortiz etc, or Pujols-edmonds-rolen

I'm sorry, but when you said that Chris Carpenter was your best pitcher, I laughed my ass off. When Suppan and Carpenter were in the AL, we would light them up all the time. Whats different between then and now? Its easier to pitch in the NL.

The Redsox pitching rotation goes:
Game 1 @ Boston: Tim Wakefield vs Woody Williams
Game 2 @ Boston: Curt Schilling vs Matt Morris
Game 3 @ St. Louis: Pedro vs Jeff Suppan
Game 4 @ St. Louis: Derek Lowe vs Jason Marquis
Game 5 @ St. Louis: Tim Wakefield vs Woody Williams
Game 6 @ Boston: Curt Schilling vs Matt Morris
Game 7 @ Boston: Pedro vs Jeff Suppan

Chris Carpenter is either out for the year or bullpen only.

And don't put a hall of famer like Pedro in the same sentance as Derek Lowe. Though Lowe can be great at times, he does have a no hitter and 2 20 win seasons. I wouldn't exactly call that nothing spectacular. The Cardinals pitching staff is completely average in all aspects.

Again, 6 innings, 1 hit, 1 run against the Yankees by Derek Lowe, on 2 days rest. Thats incredible.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm sorry, but when you said that Chris Carpenter was your best pitcher, I laughed my ass off. When Suppan and Carpenter were in the AL, we would light them up all the time. Whats different between then and now? Its easier to pitch in the NL.

The Redsox pitching rotation goes:
Game 1 @ Boston: Tim Wakefield vs Woody Williams
Game 2 @ Boston: Curt Schilling vs Matt Morris
Game 3 @ St. Louis: Pedro vs Jeff Suppan
Game 4 @ St. Louis: Derek Lowe vs Jason Marquis
Game 5 @ St. Louis: Tim Wakefield vs Woody Williams
Game 6 @ Boston: Curt Schilling vs Matt Morris
Game 7 @ Boston: Pedro vs Jeff Suppan

Chris Carpenter is either out for the year or bullpen only.

And don't put a hall of famer like Pedro in the same sentance as Derek Lowe. Though Lowe can be great at times, he does have a no hitter and 2 20 win seasons. I wouldn't exactly call that nothing spectacular. The Cardinals pitching staff is completely average in all aspects.

Again, 6 innings, 1 hit, 1 run against the Yankees by Derek Lowe, on 2 days rest. Thats incredible.[/quote]

Wakefield vs Williams----- I give to Williams, Like I said I like Wakefield and he pitched great vs yankees, but his career numbers just indicate that he is a week game 1 pitcher, Any pitcher can get hot, but overall with an era of nearly 5 this year and that averages 4.29 for career, his drop in strikeouts from last year. have to be taken into account. Williams won 18 games last year, 11 this year and era a bit over 4. W Vs W--defn not a marquis matchup pitching.

Schilling Vs Morris---I give to Schilling obviously, Morris has pitched well at times but really has struggled the past 2years (really it seems since daryl kiles death) Morrjs needs to 'get a bit lucky' for game 2 and rely alot on arguably the best defense in baseball. Schilling, is a monster, I hope his ankle is fine--if not --well lets not even think about that.

Pedro vs Suppan- It would seem to have had pretty comparable years.
Pedro has 2 more games and a huge lead in Strike outs, but ERA are close, hits, homeruns, BB are all very close. If pedro of even last year shows up this is a huge edge to Boston, but the games I've seen Pedro's pitching has been but decent, not great or dominating.

Lowe vs Marquis--Toss up.. I MUST BE DRUNK you might say, "DIDN"T YOU WATCH THE ALCS?" yes I did, but I don't put too much stock in momentum when it comes to baseball, you are only as good as your starting pitcher that day. Marquis has the better numbers over the year, but Lowe was better in the ALCS than Maquis in the NLCS.

I could be dead on with my assessment, or I could be totally wrong, that is the beauty is that games aren't played on paper nor are they played with players from the past (so what if pedro had a no hitter and 2 20 win seasons, of if Matt morris once won 22 games) its only this year, it only the next week or so that matters. One thing is that I KNOW its going to be a fun series to watch with 2 of the best baseball franchises and towns cheering madly, it will be so different for me to no be able to really cheer AGAINST a team (no evil empire) .

Cards in 7

bread's done
Back