Go with Sony or Xbox?

AzGoat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I know this question has been asked over and over? With the next gen maybe coming out with in the next few years I was looking to pick one and stay with one. I have both system and enjoy them very much but with having our first kid my gaming time has been cut down to maybe a few hours a week. I know both systems pretty much have 90% of the same games and they both have great exclusive games. I Love sony free live service and never had a problem with online game playing. With xbox the main thing is my most of my friends have the 360 but are going to ps3 as many of them are on their four or fifth system. So what i'm asking is where do you guys seeing gaming going and which one will be the smarter pick in the long run? Now when it comes to sony i'm not sure on getting the Vita, I have my psp but have only the god of war games and metal gear.

I don't think the last couple revisions of the 360 are any less reliable than PS3s so don't let fear of it breaking make your decision for you.

That being said, if you play online buy the system your friends play on. Or just wait and see what the next consoles offer.

Pick which one you personally enjoy the best. If you have more games for one system than the other, it may make more sense to keep that system. Personally, I would just keep both systems unless you are desperate for money.

I don't get it... You have both systems but you're asking which one to go with?

Or do you mean next generation? Because no one can tell you which would be the better one to pick in that case yet.

I have both but to me i would rather play on the xbox because i like the controller 10x better. Those third market contollers for the PS3 that look like a 360 controller dont cut it.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']Get a game.com portable gaming machine. It has games like Resident Evil 2, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Batman and Robin. You can't lose![/QUOTE]

I have a Game.com.

I always thought it was cool that it had 2 cartridge slots. :)

As someone who has sent in his Xbox 360 in four times since 2007, I am confident that the issue is no longer a major one. Don't let this influence your decision unless you have some qualms about supporting a company that released such a shitty product before.

They did, however, take a $1 billion hit for the debacle so I'm satisfied.

Smartest decision in the long run? Get a gaming PC!

(and this is from a mainly console player).

As for me personally, I'll likely go PC or Xbox just because of Kinect. My boys love playing around with the Kinect games (they are all 3 and under). I dont think there is much difference in 360 and PS3 and dont expect much difference b/w NextBox and PS4. But the Kinect gives something that, so far, Sony hasn't matched. If the PC-Kinect tools turn out to be worth a damn, that will likely end-up my platform of choice.

damn that game con is kinda cool i remember when tiger used to make some of the coolest and shittiest portable games. i used to love that castlevannia they had and the double dragon.

i play my pc more but it gives me more headaces due to errors and junk

pc tho is getting great at controller support, tho

i think next gen it's not going to matter much honestly. i plan on getting a wi u then an xbox and when sony finally comes out i'll probably skip them for a while unless they actually got good exclusives again. :)

[quote name='shadowkast']Sony, less swearing kids.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure if the ps3 came with a headset you would hear the same old thing on PSN.

[quote name='shadowkast']Sony, less swearing kids.[/QUOTE]
Which games are you playing on on the PS3? I know I hear a lot of lil brats cursing at me in games than not.

[quote name='j-cart']Apple.[/QUOTE]

#-o

And now for a comment that is not entirely useless... Go with the system the majority of your friends play on, otherwise you will be sad when they are online killing digital people and you cant play with them.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']#-o

And now for a comment that is not entirely useless...[/QUOTE]
All comments here are useless.

That's the joke.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which games are you playing on on the PS3? I know I hear a lot of lil brats cursing at me in games than not.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they're tired of hearing your pointless stories over and over again like most people here are.

My personal preference for next gen home system would be Sony. Look at the reliability of each company's consoles over the past few generations.

It is no problems to find PS1 and PS2 consoles that still operate and the PS3 tends to have a decent longevity for a modern piece of complex hardware. Also over the past couple of years the PS3 has arguably led the pack in exclusives (in quality and quantity). Top that off with Bluray and there's not much else you could ask for.

Microsoft has only two consoles under their belt but there have been major issues with the hardware. Personally I have had issue with finding a working Xbox while the problems with the 360 are well documented. The controller, to me, seems clunky and akward. On the plus side, the 360 seems to be ahead as far as system setup and wanted online options.

Nintendo seems to be the most reliable although the hardware has not advanced as much as other companies. You have the standard first party titles with characters that have been around for years and up until recently backwards compatibility for GC. The Wii U sounds like Nintendo is finally catching up with the other manufacturers, so we shall see.

Yeah i think i'm going to stick with sony on this one just because the only game I really enjoy playing on the 360 lot is gears 3 and every other game I own on the 360 can be own on the PS3. Now for geting DLC first on the 360 over the ps3 is really no big deal. Thanks for the help guys :D

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Maybe they're tired of hearing your pointless stories over and over again like most people here are.[/QUOTE]
:booty:There's always the ignore function, ya know.;) But if I regale even one person who hasn't heard how I price matched a penny guide or any of the other 'gems' I'm known for repeating, then it's a good day for me.;)
[quote name='Invicta 61']My personal preference for next gen home system would be Sony. Look at the reliability of each company's consoles over the past few generations.

It is no problems to find PS1 and PS2 consoles that still operate and the PS3 tends to have a decent longevity for a modern piece of complex hardware. Also over the past couple of years the PS3 has arguably led the pack in exclusives (in quality and quantity). Top that off with Bluray and there's not much else you could ask for.

Microsoft has only two consoles under their belt but there have been major issues with the hardware. Personally I have had issue with finding a working Xbox while the problems with the 360 are well documented. The controller, to me, seems clunky and akward. On the plus side, the 360 seems to be ahead as far as system setup and wanted online options.

Nintendo seems to be the most reliable although the hardware has not advanced as much as other companies. You have the standard first party titles with characters that have been around for years and up until recently backwards compatibility for GC. The Wii U sounds like Nintendo is finally catching up with the other manufacturers, so we shall see.[/QUOTE]
I would say the exact opposite is true for many other folks though. I had more friends who had the Disc Read Error with their Playstation 2's than ever had an issue with their original Xbox. As for the PS1 systems, some of those had shoddy lasers as well. I went through 2-3 of them during that gen.

As for Nintendo 'finally catching up with the other manufacturers', I have to say that I LIKE that Nintendo went off and did their own thing by not shoving a mega "HD and does everything" console down everyone's throats. They went the bargain gamer route and it paid off in spades with sales out the wazoo from casual gamers and people who couldn't afford $500-600 for one of the big two's consoles.

Don't get me wrong. I have never owned a Wii myself because of the lack of games I would play on it. But making their next console more expensive(and probably having their spare controllers cost $60 or more each) is going to alienate a LOT of Nintendo's current customers.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which games are you playing on on the PS3? I know I hear a lot of lil brats cursing at me in games than not.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Use to people on psn rarely used a mic. Now in certain games you hear all kinds of kids/people on the mic.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']So, you stuck with Sony. You made the only right choice.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I would say the exact opposite is true for many other folks though. I had more friends who had the Disc Read Error with their Playstation 2's than ever had an issue with their original Xbox. As for the PS1 systems, some of those had shoddy lasers as well. I went through 2-3 of them during that gen.

As for Nintendo 'finally catching up with the other manufacturers', I have to say that I LIKE that Nintendo went off and did their own thing by not shoving a mega "HD and does everything" console down everyone's throats. They went the bargain gamer route and it paid off in spades with sales out the wazoo from casual gamers and people who couldn't afford $500-600 for one of the big two's consoles.

Don't get me wrong. I have never owned a Wii myself because of the lack of games I would play on it. But making their next console more expensive(and probably having their spare controllers cost $60 or more each) is going to alienate a LOT of Nintendo's current customers.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure YMMV, but this is going by my personal experience. I've never had a problem with Sony equipment. Ever. My PS1 purchased in 1998, while it hasn't been played in awhile, was still going strong when boxed up in 2002. The PS2 that I got in 2002 is still going with no problems. While I've only had my slim PS3 for two years it's still working fine.

If you read the yardsale thread you will know that I hit the strip in search of deals on weekends. I see more junk Xboxes than anything and none of them seem to work. While I've never owned one new, I figure since I still get operating PS2's at yard sales the Xbox must be less reliable.

As for the 360, I decided not to get one after watching a friend of mine go through 3 of them within the first year. My brother has also had to replace his a few times. I would rather deal with lesser software than have to haggle with broken consoles. The new slim model may be an upgrade but I will never find out because I'm not willing to take the risk, I'm content with the PS3 until I start having problems.

As for Nintendo, I thought it was great that the system was more affordable, but the only difference between the Wii and the GC it seems is the controller. I have a Wii and it's fun in a gimmicky way, but I prefer the better quality titles that are found on the other systems. I think that is ultimately what convinced them to upgrade, the possibility of more 3rd party games which they very much need.

One word: "Both!"

For the same reason you bought both consoles this generation. In my case was for the exclusives that each side had. I enjoyed Halo 3 and I enjoyed Haze. I also enjoyed Alan Wake and I also enjoyed Yakuza 3.

[quote name='silentevil']You're all wrong he/she should pick up a Jaguar 64 or a 3DO.[/QUOTE]

I still do have the Jaguar 64 and my bro gave me his 3do and Few years back yo!

Gotta look at what games are available for your system of choice. MOST are on both platforms, but some great games are exclusives. Also, at the exact week you're looking to buy, any number of retailers could have a sweeter deal for one system over another. Follow your heart/wallet/game preference.

If you really like First Person Shooters, and online play, go with the 360.

If you don't, or like Bluray movies, go with PS3.

In my experience (i have both systems, play them both, and have played the same games on both) PS3 online and chat is utter shite. I also prefer the 360 controller over Dualshock 3 for shooters. Xbox Live may cost money, but it's worth it if you play online. PS3 online is free but you get what you pay for.

[quote name='Invicta 61']I'm sure YMMV, but this is going by my personal experience. I've never had a problem with Sony equipment. Ever. My PS1 purchased in 1998, while it hasn't been played in awhile, was still going strong when boxed up in 2002. The PS2 that I got in 2002 is still going with no problems. While I've only had my slim PS3 for two years it's still working fine.

If you read the yardsale thread you will know that I hit the strip in search of deals on weekends. I see more junk Xboxes than anything and none of them seem to work. While I've never owned one new, I figure since I still get operating PS2's at yard sales the Xbox must be less reliable.

As for the 360, I decided not to get one after watching a friend of mine go through 3 of them within the first year. My brother has also had to replace his a few times. I would rather deal with lesser software than have to haggle with broken consoles. The new slim model may be an upgrade but I will never find out because I'm not willing to take the risk, I'm content with the PS3 until I start having problems.

As for Nintendo, I thought it was great that the system was more affordable, but the only difference between the Wii and the GC it seems is the controller. I have a Wii and it's fun in a gimmicky way, but I prefer the better quality titles that are found on the other systems. I think that is ultimately what convinced them to upgrade, the possibility of more 3rd party games which they very much need.[/QUOTE]

Odd. I've never known anyone who had an original Xbox die. My launch unit is still going strong. So i my launch PS2. (I also have a reserve launch Xbox given to me by someone who hardly used it after Microsoft sent it to them. Not a console user but Microsoft used to send him at least one of EVERYTHING they made.)

Keep in mind that several times as many PS2 units were sold than the Xbox. So the probability of coming across one, working or otherwise, is considerably higher.

My suggestion is neither and both.

Today you can go out and buy both the PS3 and Xbox 360, both in smaller and improved designs, for what the PS3 alone cost at launch. (The PS3 lost some features but nothing critical to gaming.)

Be patient. Delayed gratification means getting more out of the existing products and enjoying a wider range of what the newer generation offers when the price is right.

Sony is obviously the best choice. More exclusives, free online and bluray. It's the only choice if you care about video games for the unique experience it offers.

[quote name='Kilvas09']Sony is obviously the best choice. More exclusives, free online and bluray. It's the only choice if you care about video games for the unique experience it offers.[/QUOTE]

Trollin' hard, y'all.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']One word: "Both!"

For the same reason you bought both consoles this generation. In my case was for the exclusives that each side had. I enjoyed Halo 3 and I enjoyed Haze. I also enjoyed Alan Wake and I also enjoyed Yakuza 3.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you could enjoy something as terrible as Halo 3 after playing something as great as Haze.

Before my terrible experience with MS customer service (see blog) I'd have said Xbox as that was all I had.

Now I've shifted most of my gaming to the PS3, and only have a 360 since MS ended up giving me a new one after my ordeal. Next gen I'll probably go Sony only as I just have a hard time spending money on MS stuff after my experience.

I say go with the ps3. I play my 360 more but thats just because i bought fifa for it. most third party games come out on both and the ps3 has more exclusives more often that are worth playing. gears of war 3 was awesome but once you beat the campaign you're done with it. at least for me i don't care about multiplayer at all. halo is cool but i stopped caring really after 3. i love my ps3 for killzone, motorstorm, resistance, infamous, and uncharted. also ps+ is cool. downloading about $50 worth of games free right now that just came out in last 2 weeks

bread's done
Back