God damn steak and beer are getting expensive...

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
It's not exactly a newsflash that foodstuffs are going up in price dramatically. But some massive price increases (gouging?) came to my attention while shopping for a BBQ this weekend.

Steak in my area (Nor California) has gone up probably 40-50% in very recent times... maybe more for some cuts. I don't eat steak terribly often, but it's hard to stomach $7-8 for one (on sale) small rib-eye. Well, it's a BBQ, so I stomach it and throw it in the basket.

Then, as I make my way to the beer fridge, fresh from the sting of my $8 steak, something slowly sinks in (and it's been sinking in these past few months) -- most all 6-packs of beers are rapidly approaching the $9-10 mark. I feel like a grandpa saying this, but I distinctly remember (um like 1-2 years ago?) when it was easy to find a $5-6 six pack.

Any other items that you regularly buy that have been killing you at the supermarket lately? Discuss.

I don't drink, but around here (Illinois), a 6-pack is about $6. Also, $7 for a steak is normal. But lucky for my family, we got the hook up. We get all of our food direct from distributors down in Chicago and pay about 50% of the price. (A small rib-eye there is about $4.)

The price of Hops are on the rise...thats why beer (especially the small time breweries) are raising their prices. I remember seeing this in the news.

And of course anything that is heavy and needs to be chilled is going to be affected pretty harshly by gas and energy prices. Beer just has a big ass bulls-eye on it right now.

And when the price of hops goes down, I bet the new price standard will remain. Welcome to the era of the $10 six pack. Bullshit.

Well, we live in California, expect prices to get worse. Especially with all that's going on, such as the increase in gas prices.

You don't need to drink beer, so stay away from that.

Food prices in general have gone up. For an example, I get oil for making greasy foods. I remember it being like $3.99 for the size I bought, and now it's around $6. My favorite rice use to just be over $1, and now it's getting close to $2.

id say try making your own . im pissed at the rising prices too of certain things but luckily with many of those things you can make some of them yourself. but if you dont want to do that then check out this website i saw on food network.

http://www.thegrocerygame.com/

the chick who started this site says in a month she saves 500 pulss on her grocery bill and on the show she was on (unwrapped) she dropped a 290 dollar food bill down to 72 bucks using the right combo of coupons at the right time. basically you go to her site input your zip code and it will tell you the coupons in your local papers or ads and when the best time i to use them.

i personally think it takes a it of time before you get it down the way she does but its worth it in these times if it can be done.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You don't need to drink beer, so stay away from that.
[/QUOTE]

No one asked for the teetotaler position.

Soda is on the rise, too. Coming soon: $1.50 20oz.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']No one asked for the teetotaler position.

Soda is on the rise, too. Coming soon: $1.50 20oz.[/quote]

You don't need to drink soda, so stay away from that...

Well, maybe this will lower the food consumption of the country as a whole and maybe fight obesity.

Soda is on the rise, too. Coming soon: $1.50 20oz.[/quote]

That's been a $1.59 here in Alaska for past six months and before it was $1.50. so nothing new. Rice is facing a shortage with production cut and the disaster in Burma, it's going to go much higher. Sucks living here, everything already costs so much and now it's going to cost more.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Do what I do and drink liquor instead.

Less of a beer gut as well![/QUOTE]

Agreed, I made the switch and didn't look back

[quote name='chakan']Any special reason why hops are expensive?[/quote]

Because the government doesn't subsidize hops nearly as much as they do for corn, wheat, and soybeans. There is less incentive to grow hops.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You don't need to drink beer, so stay away from that.

Food prices in general have gone up. For an example, I get oil for making greasy foods. I remember it being like $3.99 for the size I bought, and now it's around $6. My favorite rice use to just be over $1, and now it's getting close to $2.[/QUOTE]
Everyone needs beer.

I don't drink so I have no idea how alcohol prices have risen this past year or so.

Our normal grocery bill, which includes a lot of meat, has probably gone up about 20% or so from a year or two ago. I've noticed the increase but it hasn't affected my spending habits.

You think that's bad? Hookers went up fifty cents in just this past week. At this rate, to make fifty-thousand dollars, Peter would only have to whore himself out to a hundred fat chicks or just ten really fat chicks.

TheIconJimmieMac (6:43:29 PM): Go into this thread and say that hops are expensive because there is a global shortage due to rough weather in the areas of the world that grow hops.

Soda is on the rise, too. Coming soon: $1.50 20oz.[/QUOTE]

by coming soon you mean: been here for 2 years. At least that's how it is in CA!
That's why I endorse Gatorade. 1 dollar= 32 OZ.

I have noticed most things going up in price, but I haven't noticed it in beer yet. Decent 6-packs are still around the 6.99 price here. I just got a Sierra Nevada Summer Lager six pack for 6.79.

[quote name='xmrblondex']by coming soon you mean: been here for 2 years. At least that's how it is in CA!
That's why I endorse Gatorade. 1 dollar= 32 OZ.[/quote]

32oz Gatorade around here is like $1.89 or something.

up here in michigan its about 4-5 dollars for a 6 pack (Coors light, bud, miller) good stuff around 7-8$ I usually buy 3 24oz Coors light cans at walmart for $4.04 out the door which is cheaper then even a 6pack of Busch Light.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You don't need to drink beer, so stay away from that.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but do not judge things you do not understand...

[quote name='Aleryn'][quote name='The Mana Knight']You don't need to drink beer, so stay away from that.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but do not judge things you do not understand...

Don't need beer... even at least occasionally... takes all kinds I guess.

Not a major part of my diet, but I've noticed that eggs have really risen in price, almost double what I remember them being a year ago.

I cut way back on my at-home beer consumption this year. It's getting tough to find anything decent for under $9 a six pack, and I've noticed several hitting the $11.99 and $12.99 marks. It's a bitch, but what can ya do?

[quote name='Maklershed']A case of Beast Light (Milwaukees Best Light) is still $10.50 in my area so that's all I need to know.[/QUOTE]

:nottalking:

First of all California is like the worst place in the world to judge Prices, same thing with NYC...you live in bat-shit crazy pricing land. But guess what....weak dollar means imported goods cost more and that word "inflation" you hear about on the news is slowly rising...thats where your dollar buys you less than it used to.

We are getting hammered this year....a bunch of things hit at once.

1) Big Droughts in alot of grain-prouducing nations like Australia means there is a shortage. Yep, an actual shortage. This means that while we are going to have to pay twice as much for Rice, poor folks in developing nations are actually going to starve to death, the rice just wont be there. It'll be here, where we will begrudgingly pay twice as much for it.

2) Increased demand for Food across the world as developing nations with assloads of people want more to eat. We are a stupidly wealthy nation who, by and large, eat too much. Even our poor and homeless folks can baloon to ginormous sizes....go look at poor people in developing nations, they're walking skeletons.

3) Many Corn crops went to make BIOFUEL this year instead of going to market....alot of farmers who produced other edible crops planted CORN instead this year since there was such a demand to use it for biofuels and the price shot up., so there was less food-grain made available.

So there we have the big whammy, and of course the falling dollar and the stock market driving up inflation meaning our dollar buys less. Its a fairly viscious cycle.....when even the cheap foods are now becoming expensive.

The nice thing is that, in general, we can expect this problem to disappear in a year if people pull their heads out of their asses.....huge demand means farmers can plant more and still make money, the thing will be if farmers DONT plant more, afraid of flooding the market and watching their prices plummett......or they all plant corn to make biofuel. Eventually it'll shake out.

Of course you may also find that Potatos are still cheap.....in fact Potato-based bread may be the cheapest bread on the shelf soon.

[quote name='dopa345']Not a major part of my diet, but I've noticed that eggs have really risen in price, almost double what I remember them being a year ago.[/QUOTE]
I get my eggs from Safeway where 18 large are always buy one get one free. So 36 eggs for about $6.xx seems fair.

Thanks Trakan, JimmieMac, and Headrusch for the hops answer. Can all that ethanol corn be made into a palatable liquor?

[quote name='chakan']Thanks Trakan, JimmieMac, and Headrusch for the hops answer. Can all that ethanol corn be made into a palatable liquor?[/QUOTE]

no, but you can cover a rag in gas and huff it for about $.50. That's what real men do.

[quote name='life.exe']32oz Gatorade around here is like $1.89 or something.[/QUOTE]

no shit!
well, look at ralphs or Target maybe? I know at vons it is usually 1.89 or so, but when I'm at ralphs, they have been 10 for 10 dollars (buy as many as you want) for as long as I can remember.

[quote name='chakan']Any special reason why hops are expensive?[/QUOTE]

JimmieMac hit the nail on the head: all the popular varieties (cascade and fuggle come to mind) have had about 50% the typical yield. So us IPA drinkers are fucked. And us homebrewers too.

Food prices in general have gone up. For an example, I get oil for making greasy foods. I remember it being like $3.99 for the size I bought, and now it's around $6. My favorite rice use to just be over $1, and now it's getting close to $2.[/QUOTE]

You don't need greasy foods, you bloated prick, so stay away from that.

[quote name='dopa345']Not a major part of my diet, but I've noticed that eggs have really risen in price, almost double what I remember them being a year ago.[/QUOTE]

The price of EVERYTHING ON EARTH HAS GONE UP. Yes, eggs too. I could get a dozen large for 99 cents, and now they're $1.69. Milk, which I could regularly get for $1 (half gallon) is now $1.75. $0.88 sammich bread (multigrain) is now $1.35. You can thank this colossally fucked up economy for raising the price of everything. The dollar is the new ruble.

[quote name='Trakan']TheIconJimmieMac (6:43:29 PM): Go into this thread and say that hops are expensive because there is a global shortage due to rough weather in the areas of the world that grow hops.[/QUOTE]

Again, yes. The worst part is (this is a total guess on my part) is that brewing traditions in some countries involved the use of pine and cilantro instead of hops - and cilantro is Satan's fuckin' spice, so if cilantro-hopped beers come around, I'ma go on a killing spree.

[/quote]

You don't need to make threads whining about not having a drivers license, so stay away from CAG

[quote name='lokizz']id say try making your own . im pissed at the rising prices too of certain things but luckily with many of those things you can make some of them yourself. but if you dont want to do that then check out this website i saw on food network.

http://www.thegrocerygame.com/

the chick who started this site says in a month she saves 500 pulss on her grocery bill and on the show she was on (unwrapped) she dropped a 290 dollar food bill down to 72 bucks using the right combo of coupons at the right time. basically you go to her site input your zip code and it will tell you the coupons in your local papers or ads and when the best time i to use them.

i personally think it takes a it of time before you get it down the way she does but its worth it in these times if it can be done.[/quote]

I saw that episode. That lady is a little crazy if you ask me. I can use coupons but I don't think I can organize them into categories and research on the internet for the best deal, but hey to each there own.

[quote name='ighosty']I saw that episode. That lady is a little crazy if you ask me. I can use coupons but I don't think I can organize them into categories and research on the internet for the best deal, but hey to each there own.[/quote]

And there's also the idea that instead of wasting hours of your life searching for coupons to save $5 you could just put in a little OT at work...

Talking about inflation, look at flour. Price per 50-lb commercial bag has gone from the $20 range to about $35. And increased fuel prices have been passed all the way down the line to the consumer... no companies want to eat the cost, so eventually you're the one that gets fucked.

[quote name='gamefan1686']I have noticed most things going up in price, but I haven't noticed it in beer yet. Decent 6-packs are still around the 6.99 price here. I just got a Sierra Nevada Summer Lager six pack for 6.79.[/quote]

Where do you live? Curious because I leave near a SN brewery...

Anyway, It sucks cooking oil has gone up. I just got into deep frying!

I generally don't buy much meat , but I haven't noticed a big increase yet.

I just read that Trader Joe's is getting $6 6-packs so I guess I should go try that. The $3 wine is actually pretty good, and I'm much more of a beer than a wine person. The whole foods that is around the corner from Trader Joe's had wine for $2.97 last time I was there which was tempting but I passed, hopefully this will make them drop their beer prices too (no I can't afford to buy all of my food at whole foods, but they have some things that are priced well and not available elsewhere).

bread's done
Back