God of War 2 for $15.99!!! (not Greatest Hits)

illini1010

CAGiversary!
Alright, if you have seen the posts on the offical price drop thread you will know what i am about to say... if not read on.

I consider this a deal and belongs here because its 20 bucks off of a 40 dollar game. Yes the greatest hits version will be out proly next week, but this way you can get a black label copy and get it a week early.

This deal is at Gamestop (or you can price match at other stores). Go to the counter and grab one of the free booklets they have, it is called "The Guide". It has a picture of the main charactor from GTAIV on the cover.

Turn to page 44, and look at the bottom of the page. It says God of War 2 is the newest greatest hit and of course is priced at $19.99. Show the person at the counter at they will have to honor that price, even for a black label copy! On the back of "The Guide" it says all prices are valid til april 6 so you will have to do this either Saturday or Sunday. On top of it all, if you use the 10 percent off coupon, it will take an additional 4 bucks off because it takes the 10 percent off of the original $39.99 price. so your actually getting it for $15.99!

here are the scans...

Front Cover of "The Guide"
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0002-20080405005149.jpg/view/

Back Cover of "The Guide" (the small print on the bottom is where it says April 6)
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0003-20080405005207.jpg/view/

Page 44 showing the GoW2 as a Greatest Hits title.
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0004-20080405005914.jpg/view/

Recipt of the purchase showing the $20 and $4 discount.
http://s2.supload.com/free/scan0005-20080405005933.jpg/view/

On a side note; the ad also said ratchet and clank for the psp is confirmed as a greatest hits title, and it was good to see the dualshock 3 on store shelves finally... it just wasnt the same without them.

[quote name='Mac the KNife']It's unbelievable how often the last copy is the display copy. I hate Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

yeah i hate it too, but i went to 3 best buy's and 2 other gamestops today and i was at my "whatever, ill take what i can get" stage.

i think it's the only time i've taken a display copy. every other time i just walk out.

Ugh must pick this up tomorrow. I'll try to go to a Gamestop nobody goes to...in the ghetto, they'll have a new copy.

[quote name='emg28']:lol:. Nice story. The only thing missing from it was a magazine rack and glitter.[/QUOTE]

Im thinking about doing that. Could i get arrested?

I mean the glitter. The rack thing is for children.

well, now that i think about it, I might need that gamestop in the future. And really, some people that see me drop gallons of glitter might remember me. After all, i started living in this crummy town 3 years ago. One more and Ill have my degree, and the same guys will probably still remain there.

[quote name='daruler022']I got the last SEALED copy that my local GS had yesterday. Good thing to,because none of the BB around me had any.[/QUOTE]
thats lucky

[quote name='daruler022']I got the last SEALED copy that my local GS had yesterday. Good thing to,because none of the BB around me had any.[/quote]

Same here!:bouncy:

[quote name='Alucard400']Has the greatest hits label copies hit the retail stores yet?[/quote]

I went to my local Circuit City, Target, and Gamestops, none of them had the GH versions. But all had the normal version for $19.99

[quote name='CrimGhost']Ugh must pick this up tomorrow. I'll try to go to a Gamestop nobody goes to...in the ghetto[/quote]

(In the ghet-toooo)

[quote name='Larrabee213']I went to my local Circuit City, Target, and Gamestops, none of them had the GH versions. But all had the normal version for $19.99[/QUOTE]

The Targets around me,NC,still have it in the system for $39.

[quote name='jdawgg76']They only give the extra 10% if you buy it first and then come back with a lower advertised price later.[/quote]

Not true, I used to work at CC awhile back. If someone comes in with an add or a price tag from another store within a certain radius, they are required to price match the item down before purchase. Did this with my old cybershot camera :)

I show two of the BB's near me as having it, I'm going to stop by after work and pick it up. Hopefully they'll have a Dual Shock 3 in as well.

[quote name='MWB'](In the ghet-toooo)[/QUOTE]

Score! The ghetto Gamestop had quite a few new non-GH copies left.

Game Crazy just dropped it down to $19.99 new and $14.99 used.
We also just dropped Ratchet for PSP to the same prices.

couldn't get black label at walmart because fat b**** wouldn't price match online walmart and circuitcity.com printout. said they needed weekly ad or something. fuck

Picked mine up at best buy today, it was still marked 39.99 on the price plate, but was listed as 19.99 on the site and when i had the lady scan it it rang up at 19.99. Much easier than hassling at GS.

[quote name='daruler022']The Targets around me,NC,still have it in the system for $39.[/QUOTE]

Same here in western PA.
I bought the last black label copy with a GH sticker at $39 and I'm hoping for an adjustment in the next few days, or else I'll just return it.

I got a call from my EBgames saying that their MGS Saga Vol.2 discs came in. I went in after work and got that and then turned my attention to God of War II. I asked the guy if they had a copy and one of the other employees tossed me a Non-GH copy. And yes, it rang for $19.99

Overall, another good day. Now I'm just waiting for Arcana Heart and paying off MGS4 Limited little by little. Gosh, this month is gonna be brutal on my wallet. Persona 3, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Rondo of Swords, World Ends with You...like my backlog needs to be further backed... :boxing:

--Michael

[quote name='Civickid96']I got a call from my EBgames saying that their MGS Saga Vol.2 discs came in. I went in after work and got that and then turned my attention to God of War II. I asked the guy if they had a copy and one of the other employees tossed me a Non-GH copy. And yes, it rang for $19.99

Overall, another good day. Now I'm just waiting for Arcana Heart and paying off MGS4 Limited little by little. Gosh, this month is gonna be brutal on my wallet. Persona 3, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Rondo of Swords, World Ends with You...like my backlog needs to be further backed... :boxing:

--Michael[/quote]
sounds like ur tight on money. so why bother with the le verison of mgs4? $25 more for just a metal casing and vids that someone will most likely put up on utube

[quote name='(psp)snake']sounds like ur tight on money. so why bother with the le verison of mgs4? $25 more for just a metal casing and vids that someone will most likely put up on utube[/QUOTE]

Youtube has hidef video now? Not to mention you get the soundtrack with the LE.

Also picked up GoW II at BB in Gainesville today. About 2 more copies left. I used a 3 dollar off coupon from Chex Mix that I bought (the chex mix was less than 2 dollars lol).

[quote name='(psp)snake']sounds like ur tight on money. so why bother with the le verison of mgs4? $25 more for just a metal casing and vids that someone will most likely put up on utube[/quote]

Well, I do have the means to get all the games I want, it's just the TIME to spend with them. With a full time job, 2 night classes, and family time, I'm lucky to even spend 5 minutes with any gaming activity. With that said, I picked up Arcana Hearts today and my copy of Odin Sphere arrived as well.

Of course, I can be a CAGer and wait for all those games to come down in price also...which is probably what I'll do. :lol:

--Michael

[quote name='Civickid96']Well, I do have the means to get all the games I want, it's just the TIME to spend with them. With a full time job, 2 night classes, and family time, I'm lucky to even spend 5 minutes with any gaming activity.[/quote]
Amen to that brother, this semester has sucked ass for me yet I'm still buying games like I have tons of free time (3 night classes, a full time day job, 2 kids, and a wife). Once this semester is over I'll be much better and might actually be able to play this game I just bought. I was more than happy to slap down $20 for it, especially considering I got the 2 disk non-GH version.

Why does it matter if the game is black label or not? It's the same game right? It's not like this is some rare collector's niche title.

finally got around to making this post.

finished watching the entire 2nd disc - special features. very impressed, lots of excellent making-of and behind-the-scenes content. testing segments were my faves. keep an eye out for hawt level designer ashley m. / playboy bunny. also got to play the first level; sweet.

picked it up last Sat for $17.99 (@CC) using the methods OP mentioned. thanks!

[quote name='Jackalope']Why does it matter if the game is black label or not? It's the same game right? It's not like this is some rare collector's niche title.[/quote]

you are about the 5th person to ask that already, if you really want a response to that read the thread.

[quote name='Jackalope']Why does it matter if the game is black label or not? It's the same game right? It's not like this is some rare collector's niche title.[/quote]

Because people are anal retentive and an 'ugly' red cover Greatest Hits version(or any of the greatest hits equivalents on other consoles too) will 'throw off' their color scheme on the shelves where they have their vast collection of games, of course.

I STILL don't get the whole reasoning behind that. Then again, I keep my small collection of games on a small dvd shelf in my closet where no one but me can see them. Plus, many GH version games end up resolving the glitches and other problems that were present in the non-GH versions.

It all comes down to personal preference and to me, if both are the same price, but the GH version may include extra levels or whatever, that's the one I'll get.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because people are anal retentive and an 'ugly' red cover Greatest Hits version(or any of the greatest hits equivalents on other consoles too) will 'throw off' their color scheme on the shelves where they have their vast collection of games, of course.

I STILL don't get the whole reasoning behind that. Then again, I keep my small collection of games on a small dvd shelf in my closet where no one but me can see them. Plus, many GH version games end up resolving the glitches and other problems that were present in the non-GH versions.

It all comes down to personal preference and to me, if both are the same price, but the GH version may include extra levels or whatever, that's the one I'll get.[/quote]

I will be anal about certain games being GH or not, RPG's for the most part I will only get black label and usually thats all you get unless it's a Square-Enix game. Lately though I have been getting more and more lax about the GH department in my non RPG games simply because A) I can not find a complete BL one B) I run into it at a store for a cheap price and If it's a game I want screw the red label it's something I want.

Recently picked up these games sealed for $5 but were GH

Hot shots Golf: Fore!
Jak & Dexter (original)

If it is a trilogy or something and I have 2 of the 3 black label it only makes sense to try and find the game non GH to keep it uniform but if is a stand alone title im begining to just grab em anyway I can complete.

I understand that people are proud of their collections and what not, but I'm not one of those people. I never was, but I DID have a 'collection' of games for the longest time. They were scattered all over my house, whether in my closet, by my PS2/Xbox or wherever. I never had them 'displayed'.

To me anymore, if I don't watch/play/read something in a while, it's getting sold for whatever I can get for it. I just don't have the patience to sit and stare at my old stuff sitting here collecting dust since I haven't used it in a while.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']finally got around to making this post.

finished watching the entire 2nd disc - special features. very impressed, lots of excellent making-of and behind-the-scenes content. testing segments were my faves. keep an eye out for hawt level designer ashley m. / playboy bunny. also got to play the first level; sweet.

picked it up last Sat for $17.99 (@CC) using the methods OP mentioned. thanks![/QUOTE]

Just finished GOW2 today on normal difficulty; 19 hrs and 47 mins. Took about 4 weeks while babysitting.

Next up: going back and playing GOW1 and lending my brother GOW2. I'll go back and play the bonus missions later. Titan difficulty seems worthwhile for the unlockables. [

I was puzzled at how they could release a PS2 game when they did for $40... Much less release a PS2 game when they did.

This is pretty much the price it should've been in the first place.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I was puzzled at how they could release a PS2 game when they did for $40... Much less release a PS2 game when they did.

This is pretty much the price it should've been in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Wha--? I'm glad Sony released a swan song to the PS2. GoW2 represents a technical marvel that pushes the PS2 in every way imaginable. As to the price, all new releases are typically higher than $40 so IMHO, Sony did right in releasing it for a little less. No way should this have been priced any lower at the start; it's a franchise title.

You don't release games like GoW, GTA, Mario, or Halo at a budget price (unless they're re-releases, ala GTA on the PSP ported to the PS2). Sure, we'd like that, but that isn't how business works, dude.

I guess I totally missed the memo on why GoW series is so great... oh well.

I feel like Heavenly Swords is a girl version of that game btw... Also, just button mashing. Visuals are nice though.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Wha--? I'm glad Sony released a swan song to the PS2. GoW2 represents a technical marvel that pushes the PS2 in every way imaginable. [/quote]

Button mashing technical marvel? okie dokie...

[quote name='romeogbs19']As to the price, all new releases are typically higher than $40 so IMHO, Sony did right in releasing it for a little less. No way should this have been priced any lower at the start; it's a franchise title. [/quote]

When it's based on hype of the first one I don't see it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I guess I totally missed the memo on why GoW series is so great... oh well.

I feel like Heavenly Swords is a girl version of that game btw... Also, just button mashing. Visuals are nice though.

Button mashing technical marvel? okie dokie...

When it's based on hype of the first one I don't see it.[/QUOTE]

To each their own, man. GoW is considered one of the greatest games ever on the PS2 -- but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it. I guess it's just not your type of game.

Yeah, I guess it's not. just like GTA4 isn't even though I said it sucked before I played it and still got flamed since like GoW I'm the only one in the world that doesn't like it. : shrugs : Oh well.

I haven't played GOW2, but I have played the first one. (second is supposed to be much better) But even the first one is better then some games of the same genre releasing on current gen consoles for 60$ (Conan anyone). The PS2 is dying out yes, but it is far from dead. They still have Persona 4 coming, sequal to RPG of the year in many publications and peoples minds. I'm sure that will be a 29.99 release if not 39.99. I have no problem with releasing a PS2 game for 39.99 at this stage in it's life as long as they keep making games like these.

[quote name='underliness']I haven't played GOW2, but I have played the first one. (second is supposed to be much better) But even the first one is better then some games of the same genre releasing on current gen consoles for 60$ (Conan anyone). The PS2 is dying out yes, but it is far from dead. They still have Persona 4 coming, sequal to RPG of the year in many publications and peoples minds. I'm sure that will be a 29.99 release if not 39.99. I have no problem with releasing a PS2 game for 39.99 at this stage in it's life as long as they keep making games like these.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree -- Love that the PS2 keeps getting new releases. And why not, its penetration is huge.

bread's done
Back