God of War Collection - The Thread

Update:

Just finished GOWII and there were no freezing problems whatsoever. Only happened a few times in the first game and its really negligible.

Love these games! Playing it in HI-DEF is totally worth the cost of admission.

[quote name='addicted2games']I am taking my time going through it. I want to enjoy the whole experience and am looking for every powerup and extra chest.[/QUOTE]

I did that on my first playthrough, my second I just skipped all the side passages and secret rooms, and stuff like that and I beat it in just over 4 hours.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I did that on my first playthrough, my second I just skipped all the side passages and secret rooms, and stuff like that and I beat it in just over 4 hours.[/QUOTE]

what weapons/magic did you power up and how far?

[quote name='lokizz']what weapons/magic did you power up and how far?[/QUOTE]

I was using the business suit alt costume that gives you more red orbs on my 2nd playthrough, so I maxed everything out.

Just got this game in the mail from BB finally (I ordered on 11/27) with my $20 PSN card. I never played either game before, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this a lot

played GoW last night been awhile since i beat it on my PS2 looks amazing nice and clear. i tried playing the PS2 version on my PS3 about a month ago the black bars and blurriness of it on my HDTV made my head hurt so glad they updated it

Just finished GOW 1 for the first time and I'm about 1/3 through GOW2. These games are very impressive and better than most PS3 games out there now. I am very happy this collection came out

Yes, I am very glad I picked up this game. Made the mistake of trying it out this week; it's now trumped Valkyria Chronicles and Ratchet & Clank: ACiT. I can't stop playing this game now. Still on GoW1 (only able to steal 2-3 hours a night to play), other than the inability to move the camera, this is a great game.

beat GoW my 4th time since PS2 days trying to go for the plat on it now just need beat challenge of the gods and beat it in under 5 hours. got to room 8 today man it's hard i beat it on my PS2 along time ago now to do it all over again T_T btw playing on a 60GB no freezing at all

[quote name='jh6269']Yes, I am very glad I picked up this game. Made the mistake of trying it out this week; it's now trumped Valkyria Chronicles and Ratchet & Clank: ACiT. I can't stop playing this game now. Still on GoW1 (only able to steal 2-3 hours a night to play), other than the inability to move the camera, this is a great game.[/QUOTE]

I've only ever played CoO- and I assumed the camera thing was a quark of the handheld- not the main series. I was really disgusted when i played the GoW3 demo and couldn't move the camera.. It was very jarring. I'm sure I'll adjust after an hour or so- but it's just so weird in this generation.

[quote name='jh6269']Yes, I am very glad I picked up this game. Made the mistake of trying it out this week; it's now trumped Valkyria Chronicles and Ratchet & Clank: ACiT. I can't stop playing this game now. Still on GoW1 (only able to steal 2-3 hours a night to play), other than the inability to move the camera, this is a great game.[/QUOTE]

Wait till you play the second one. Some of the bosses/characters and levels themselves will have you going "Woah"! But you'll find out a thing about Kratos that is so cliched and done a million times. But the story is still kickass and leaves you waiting for the third one.

I finished GoW 1. I couldn't beat the challenge of the gods. I got to 8/10 and tried it a million times and got it down to 2 Medusas and died. It was definitely a rage-quit situation.

I have no idea how to get 100 combos, 200 combos, and I don't get the point of getting Athena's blades (you can't play the main quest with them).

[quote name='jh6269']I finished GoW 1. I couldn't beat the challenge of the gods. I got to 8/10 and tried it a million times and got it down to 2 Medusas and died. It was definitely a rage-quit situation.

I have no idea how to get 100 combos, 200 combos, and I don't get the point of getting Athena's blades (you can't play the main quest with them).[/QUOTE]

best place to get a 200
is in that section where youre trying to get those 2 shields to open a door. you drop down into this room go across a rope and then you have this spiked wall coming at you and a constant wave of enemies coming at you. go to the very end of the path where the invisible barrier is , wait for all the enemies to come at you and use posiedons rage and regular attacks.

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']beat GoW my 4th time since PS2 days trying to go for the plat on it now just need beat challenge of the gods and beat it in under 5 hours. got to room 8 today man it's hard i beat it on my PS2 along time ago now to do it all over again T_T btw playing on a 60GB no freezing at all[/QUOTE]

I got up to the level with the Satyrs. They kept throwing me off of the platforms on Challenge Of The Gods. I would end up out in midair thanks to them using their staffs on me and throwing me with them.:roll:

After about 20 times trying it(back on the PS2)I gave up on the COTG.

As for the 200 combo, I picked up one on the God Of War III demo in the part
where the minotaur comes out just before the part with Helios circling the lava dude.

It was hellish getting the combo up that high, but now I at least know they're possible.

If you really want to try and get the combos going really high, try using some of the L1 special moves that shoot some of your enemies up into the air....then pummel them while they're in mid air.

Ahhh I remember the challenge of the gods and the relief I felt after beating it, since it was one of the most frustrating hours of my life. Never going to attempt to beat it again.

[quote name='jh6269']Thanks all, I'll try again.

So what are Athena's blades for?[/QUOTE]

In the room after you get them, break both statues of the bosses youve killed. On the PS2 versions, you would get a phone number to call. It was hilarious.

i played the demo for GoW3
and i am breathless.

I have never played a GoW game before and i am definitely thinking on grabbing the GoW Collection this Christmas.

Hopefully, we have great deals on this collection and after i am done with GoW1 and GoW2, ill be ready for GoW3 when it comes out.

:D

[quote name='nbballard']I've only ever played CoO- and I assumed the camera thing was a quark of the handheld- not the main series. I was really disgusted when i played the GoW3 demo and couldn't move the camera.. It was very jarring. I'm sure I'll adjust after an hour or so- but it's just so weird in this generation.[/QUOTE]
yeah my only rant in the demo is the camera.

i mean is fine that it adjust itself, BUT you have to move to a certain spot for it to move. wish the game fixes this problem or enhances the camera in some way. Even if it wont let us use the right stick to move the camera. :cry:

[quote name='KingBroly']That part isn't really that hard. You can just spam Cronos' Rage and move the gears that way.[/QUOTE]

I did that and was out of magic by the time I got to the second gear.

Finally got around to playing this. What little I played was pretty fun. The graphics look fantastic for being a PS2 game, though I know they upgraded them a bit for the Collection.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I did that and was out of magic by the time I got to the second gear.[/QUOTE]

That part really isn't hard. Magic is a waste and takes too long.

Here's what you do:
1. Get on the spinny dealy.
2. Spam square, square, and triangle and take out first few waves of enemies. After that, they'll slow down.
3. Start spinning... make sure you get the angle right so it spins fast (keep an eye on Kratos' angle).
4. As soon as an enemy shows up, take him out. Continue spinning the thing when possible. If it's getting out of hand, just grab the lever real quick and let go, that will slow it down at least a bit.
5. Jump to the next one when you can and start the process over again.

[quote name='Vinny']That part really isn't hard. Magic is a waste and takes too long.

Here's what you do:
1. Get on the spinny dealy.
2. Spam square, square, and triangle and take out first few waves of enemies. After that, they'll slow down.
3. Start spinning... make sure you get the angle right so it spins fast (keep an eye on Kratos' angle).
4. As soon as an enemy shows up, take him out. Continue spinning the thing when possible. If it's getting out of hand, just grab the lever real quick and let go, that will slow it down at least a bit.
5. Jump to the next one when you can and start the process over again.[/QUOTE]

also dont try and get the gear all the way to the end it only needs to be close enough so you can jump to the next one.

[quote name='jh6269']Any tips for CotGs 8/10?[/QUOTE]
use lance of the furies over and over ( jump up press L1 and circle). when a medus stars to shoot at you get down on the ground to dodge and then go back to using lance of the furies.

So I never played any of the God of War games even when I had a PS2 back then.

Hot damn, was I missing out ! Got this on release day but didn't open it till today and it looks fantastic (GoW 1). Game did not age at all. Already have GoW III preordered.. got to make sure beat the collection before that comes out. :lol:

lokizz,

::sigh::

That was my exact strategy :(. I got them down to 2 medusas left and died. Damn I was steaming pissed (I tried it at least 20 times before giving up).

I tried to keep knocking them off the edge as fast as possible (L1/circle combo). Do they respawn if you do the QTE on them? I thought maybe that was my problem.

Count me in as one of the few people who never played the previous GoW games. I just bought the GoWC mainly so I could catch up on the series to prepare myself for GoW3, but after playing and beating GoW I can see why these games were as popular as they are. I don't know why I missed out out the original PS2 releases, I guess I always thought they were Devil May Cry rip offs, guess I was wrong >,<

I'm about to start on GoW2 and judging from what other people are saying in this thread, I'm in for a more epic adventure :)

[quote name='cupcakex1']So I never played any of the God of War games even when I had a PS2 back then.

Hot damn, was I missing out ! Got this on release day but didn't open it till today and it looks fantastic (GoW 1). Game did not age at all. Already have GoW III preordered.. got to make sure beat the collection before that comes out. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually, they upgraded the graphics to HD for the games in this collection, though I remember being in awe when I played these on the PS2 originally.

I'm hoping that GoHastings.com gets this collection back in stock before midnight tonight when their 30% off HOLIDAY code sale ends so I can get it for $25 and change since I no longer have a PS2 or the PS2 versions of the games to play through.

[quote name='jh6269']lokizz,

::sigh::

That was my exact strategy :(. I got them down to 2 medusas left and died. Damn I was steaming pissed (I tried it at least 20 times before giving up).

I tried to keep knocking them off the edge as fast as possible (L1/circle combo). Do they respawn if you do the QTE on them? I thought maybe that was my problem.[/QUOTE]

just keep at it they keep on respawning for a while , seems like a damn eternity, but after a bit youll see they arent returning. you dont have to qte the medusas its a good way to get more magic but too frustrating imo.

[quote name='lokizz']just keep at it they keep on respawning for a while , seems like a damn eternity, but after a bit youll see they arent returning. you dont have to qte the medusas its a good way to get more magic but too frustrating imo.[/QUOTE]

THIS just keep at it until it's finally over T_T now i have to beat it in under 5 hours for my plat

I broke down and bought this with credit I got from flipping copies of Fairytale Fights and games I bought from HWV with credit from copies of Fairytale Fights. LOL

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I broke down and bought this with credit I got from flipping copies of Fairytale Fights and games I bought from HWV with credit from copies of Fairytale Fights. LOL[/QUOTE]

so technically you more or less got this game at full price? i thought you were going to wait until it dropped in price? man sony has been breaking your hate for them with very decisive atacks. i predict that when gow3 comes out you will buy the ultimate edition and never complain about sony again lol.

[quote name='lokizz']so technically you more or less got this game at full price? i thought you were going to wait until it dropped in price? man sony has been breaking your hate for them with very decisive atacks. i predict that when gow3 comes out you will buy the ultimate edition and never complain about sony again lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I bought it at full price with credit from games either 1) free from Best Buy(14 copies of Fairytale Fights, two of which I traded to GS for the 4/$20 trade deal along with 2 copies of FF) or 2) from the credit from trading in free copies of Fairytale Fights.

So, I didn't pay shit for the GOW Collection. Thanks Best Buy. Merry Christmas, fuckos.

I still haven't had a chance to play this much at all, so I don't know why I torture myself by coming in here and reading everyone's comments.

[quote name='cupcakex1']So I never played any of the God of War games even when I had a PS2 back then.

Hot damn, was I missing out ! Got this on release day but didn't open it till today and it looks fantastic (GoW 1). Game did not age at all. Already have GoW III preordered.. got to make sure beat the collection before that comes out. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Same exact deal for me, except I did play the first God of War and hated it. I guess it was because I'm such a DMC whore, and trying to transition from DMC to GoW at the time made me completely dislike GoW.

However, playing them now, I don't see how I ever disliked it. I already beat GoW1 on the collection, and am half-way through GoW2 (which completely decimates GoW1 in-terms of gameplay). I also have the GoWIII demo, which was alright.. but I played it before playing through these, so I'll have to re-try it after I beat GoW2.

I still personally like DMC better, but GoW is pretty awesome so-far.

I played a bit of the first game last night after cracking my copy of the collection open. Although, I remember even back on the PS2 hating certain parts when you had to hammer the circle or other buttons to advance, since I always felt like I'd hear a loud snap or pop and I'd need a new controller from doing so.

Thing is, I got one of the Kratos skin/God Of War III demo code cards for pre-ordering GOW III yesterday when I picked this up AND I got a copy of it in the collection, but I already have the demo from a giveaway a certain GC employee who's on CAG did a while ago.

Now before everybody floods my PM box with 'zomg gimme the demo code if you're not gonna use it' PM's, I may come up with a contest for these where I give them away or I may just add them as 'free' giveaways on my tradelist for people buying 10 guides from me.:D;)

Can't blame me for wanting to make some Christmas $$ and give people an incentive to 'CML' at the same time, right?

tl;dr version of the above: Don't PM me begging for a GOW III demo code, as I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. I bought it at full price with credit from games either 1) free from Best Buy(14 copies of Fairytale Fights, two of which I traded to GS for the 4/$20 trade deal along with 2 copies of FF) or 2) from the credit from trading in free copies of Fairytale Fights.

So, I didn't pay shit for the GOW Collection. Thanks Best Buy. Merry Christmas, fuckos.[/QUOTE]

trade in or not they still got full price for the game out of you which you adamantly said youd never do. im telling you sony has found a way to crack that wall of hate and theyre getting nothing but love from you.

[quote name='lokizz']trade in or not they still got full price for the game out of you which you adamantly said youd never do. im telling you sony has found a way to crack that wall of hate and theyre getting nothing but love from you.[/QUOTE]

Nah. I did want the collection and I missed out on the collection from GoHastings because I took a wait and see approach on their other games I bought from them, so it sold out in the meantime.

Plus, I DID want the collection, I just didn't want any money to come out of my pocket for it or I wanted to buy it used so Sony and the Santa Monica studio wouldn't see a dime from me.

To me, Best Buy paid for my copy of the game and that's fine with me.

Now Rockstar needs to release a PS2 compilation of the GTA games and I'd buy that in a second, but only if it was compatible with saves that you have already.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. I bought it at full price with credit from games either 1) free from Best Buy(14 copies of Fairytale Fights, two of which I traded to GS for the 4/$20 trade deal along with 2 copies of FF) or 2) from the credit from trading in free copies of Fairytale Fights.

So, I didn't pay shit for the GOW Collection. Thanks Best Buy. Merry Christmas, fuckos.[/QUOTE]

That's still credit that could've been spent towards something else, which essentially makes it paying "full price" for the title. Even though you may make money on various flips, I still treat my credit like cash, because ultimately it has almost that same intrinsic value (since I'll be buying games down the road anyway). You worked for that credit (a little), and BestBuy could've essentially paid for any of your future purchases at full price (or several games at discounted prices).

Either way, the GOW Collection is well worth the full price, so I'd say you made out great either way. ;)

[quote name='GuardianE']That's still credit that could've been spent towards something else, which essentially makes it paying "full price" for the title. Even though you may make money on various flips, I still treat my credit like cash, because ultimately it has almost that same intrinsic value (since I'll be buying games down the road anyway). You worked for that credit (a little), and BestBuy could've essentially paid for any of your future purchases at full price (or several games at discounted prices).

Either way, the GOW Collection is well worth the full price, so I'd say you made out great either way. ;)[/QUOTE]

If I had it my way, I would've been dumping copies of FF on 3 seperate FYE stores for $18 cash each and unloading a PS3 and 360 version at each store. So I would've been making real cash(not crappy store credit)and would've made $100+ on free games by now.

But none of the local FYE stores are even doing trades at all until AFTER Christmas and I'm just afraid that with so many copies of this game entering the used market due to flipping that the values would've dropped significantly before then.

So I've settled on store credit anywhere I can get it, which has helped me to pick up items I previously wanted to pick up again but didn't want to pay real cash for any of them.

For the little bit of effort I've put out and the tiny bit of gas spent so far, I'd still say I made out pretty well on this deal.

But to me, store credit does not equal cash.

Finally dove into GoW1 today. So much fun. Can't really say I'm impressed with the holding up, just because I first beat them last year. But the upgraded visuals are very nice and these games are always a blast to play.

Can't wait for 3!

bread's done
Back