God of War III now 720p, variable frame rate.

Even with the compromise, I can still appreciate that the game is running in 720p, and not in 640p like a lot of other games. (as they've made sacrifices to resolution for gameplay as well, however no one really notices). I did play the demo, and it played great... so I don't have any issues with the game. The main thing is to make sure the gameplay is good. As long as this game doesn't have the issues that Bayonetta had, I think we'll all be fine.

I agree that Sony should be taken to task for promises they don't keep. Don't brag about a feature/stat and then back track. For me, 1080 never has mattered. As long as the framerate doesn't affect game play I'm good. Both the Wii and PS3 have impressed me with graphics that are not 1080 and I expect GoWIII to do the same.

[quote name='Suade']I agree that Sony should be taken to task for promises they don't keep. Don't brag about a feature/stat and then back track. For me, 1080 never has mattered. As long as the framerate doesn't affect game play I'm good. Both the Wii and PS3 have impressed me with graphics that are not 1080 and I expect GoWIII to do the same.[/QUOTE]

The first thing they should be taken to task on is for backpedaling on backwards compatability.:roll: They touted it as this great feature, then when they saw many of us didn't wanna pay $500-600 for that ability they yanked it out or put it in in limited software version.

However, the one thing that the software BC PS3's show us is that Sony can get the tech ready and have it in the system without needing the hardware in there. But what they've shown us by taking it out altogether is they'd much rather penalize we cheapasses who didn't wanna pay but still have PS2 games we want to finish.

As long as it can be upscaled to 1080 I don't care. Uncharted looks great. The PS3 is a JOKE as the "true HD console" though.

[quote name='javeryh']As long as it can be upscaled to 1080 I don't care. Uncharted looks great. The PS3 is a JOKE as the "true HD console" though.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 has more games in 1080p by 5x then 360. How is that a "JOKE"? When it comes to native 1080p titles on consoles, PS3 has the most by a long shot.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The PS3 has more games in 1080p by 5x then 360. How is that a "JOKE"? When it comes to native 1080p titles on consoles, PS3 has the most by a long shot.[/QUOTE]
Source?

(I asked this on the first page, but no one replied...)

My two cents on the issues in this thread:

1. I have never been more content with choosing the best 720p over a mediocre 1080p TV when I bought mine over a year ago. It's still great, and I chose it because I wasn't convinced at the time that most sources would even get to 1080p before much better televisions came out.

2. I would not go anywhere near as close as saying that the current games are better than the games 10 years ago, because it simply isn't true in my opinion. However, I do believe that games no longer always become failsauce when developers choose to focus on graphics (FF8 vs FF7, any one?)

3. Next generation of consoles might become better, but if you look at academic research done on the PS3, it's easy to see that memory bandwidth bottlenecks what the processor can do. So while the processor really can theoretically perform everything they say, and maybe more, there's no way in hell that they can utilize the processor even 50% with the bandwidth in the PS3. But even then, I'm a bigger PS3 supporter than 360, simply because I don't worry about using my PS3 because of RROD-type issues.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I would rank this gen pretty high in satisfactory level. Online gaming has taken things up so high that its just ridiculous to look back to the old days where you had to had everyone in the same room to play. When arcades were thriving, it was ok, everyone had a central meet spot. Those are long dead and online is where its at.

Heck, SF4 alone makes this my fav gen so far. I have hundreds of hours on ps3/360 versions each, and lets not discuss MW2, i have over 100 hours on the PS3 one already. My cousins and i all play together online and it is a blast. We're all old now and live apart, we cannot have a day where we all meet once a week with our busy schedules just to play some games. But an hour or so every few nights online, that is 100% do-able.

Really, it is a great gen and its just going to get better. Its also going to be one of the longest gens in gaming history. Which is nothing but good unless you're some kind of graphics whore who needs bleeding edge, but that is the minority of this gen obviously. I am super happy with how much power the ps3/360 have and the online on both work great. I just hope we can get another 4 years before they even announce another system.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you 100 percent. even though for the most part this gen of gaming hasnt had too many holy shit moments to it online gaming is what makes it so damn amazing. if you had told me 20 pluss years ago youd be able to do the things we can do now with a console id have laughed in your face.

i enjoyed the hell out fo the arcade scene back in the day but its nice to be able to challenge people from all over from the comforts of home. yeah its not always percfect you get signed out or kicked out of games randomly and yuve got the lazy bastard lagger/cheaters but all the minuses aside theres alot of plusses to gaming now.

i not happy with how we get screwed at times with dlc and i hope they dont go full dl for games but it will be cool to see what the real innovators and lovers of games in the industry will come up with.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The PS3 has more games in 1080p by 5x then 360. How is that a "JOKE"? When it comes to native 1080p titles on consoles, PS3 has the most by a long shot.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't comparing it to anything. It's a JOKE because it doesn't do the basic things Sony claimed it would do. It doesn't even have an internal scaler - is there another piece of "HD" consumer electronics out there that doesn't scale?

[quote name='javeryh']I wasn't comparing it to anything. It's a JOKE because it doesn't do the basic things Sony claimed it would do. It doesn't even have an internal scaler - is there another piece of "HD" consumer electronics out there that doesn't scale?[/QUOTE]

It does scale. And there are a lot of TVs that are 720p and cannot scale 1080p. OMG WHAT GARBAGE THEY SUCK. The way things ended up are how they ended up, crying or complaining is never going to add a scaler to the ps3 so seriously, just get over it. I played God Of War Collection in 1080i. PS3 scaled to it even tho it runs in 1280x720. They just cannot make anything scale to anything like the 360 does, which is why so many of 360 games, especially the top sellers, are 600p or below in resolution. In the situation that we have, i'll take the PS3s higher res games.

Also, a company claimed a product would do something and it ended up not doing it. Call the press, we have a news story of epic proportions here.

A TV is an input device - of course there are a ton of them that don't scale. Also, the PS3 only scales if the game in question is coded for it. I think I'd rather be able to play all of the games available for a system in HD then have to hope and pray that a developer decides to incorporate scaling.

[quote name='Strell']"Filet minge."[/QUOTE]

I can't help but picture some British bloke bragging to his friends about the woman he slept with the other night, and weaving this phrase into his story.

EDIT: As for God of War, I'm positively outraged and can't stand it anymore. I'm canceling my preorder and driving home to set fire to my PS3 right fucking now.

[quote name='blitz6speed']It does scale. And there are a lot of TVs that are 720p and cannot scale 1080p. OMG WHAT GARBAGE THEY SUCK. The way things ended up are how they ended up, crying or complaining is never going to add a scaler to the ps3 so seriously, just get over it. I played God Of War Collection in 1080i. PS3 scaled to it even tho it runs in 1280x720. They just cannot make anything scale to anything like the 360 does, which is why so many of 360 games, especially the top sellers, are 600p or below in resolution. In the situation that we have, i'll take the PS3s higher res games.

Also, a company claimed a product would do something and it ended up not doing it. Call the press, we have a news story of epic proportions here.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. I agree with you for once. It's the end of the world as we know it.

A company failing to follow through on promises or claims is not a major fuckin' tragedy. The only reason they really do so so often is because gamers put up with it and still buy their friggin' products.

If enough people spoke with their wallets and didn't just blindly buy a game that has issues that they're not happy with, something might change.

But for now, companies know they have you by the balls and that you'll buy it whether or not you like the failed promises and claims.

no one said shit when it was discovered that Modern Warfare was discovered to run at 640p. Excuse me, it's running at 600p, and I can remember that Halo 3 was running at 640p.. As long as the game is running at least at 720p, then I don't think that anyone should be complaining.

bread's done
Back