Goddammit... I guess I have to buy an X-box.

The_Continental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I've been putting it off for 2 years. . . I've got 400 games between my Cube and PS2, but it looks like full spectrum warrior is gonna be an X-clusive.

Sooo... I need advice. . . Is Live worth it? Where is the system the cheapest?

Thanks for your help!

I get so tired of posting this......... get a preowned Xbox from Gamestop for $120 since they give you three free games: Morrowind, Star Wars: KOTOR, and Splinter Cell.

As for Live being worth it, IMO it is, especially compared to how much it costs to play PC games online. Of course, in many games, people exploit things they shouldn't. I'm a big fan of Capcom vs. SNK 2, and when people are losing, they just quit the game and their rank doesn't go down...

I vowed several months ago never to do business again with gamestop. I ordered final fantasy origins *new* at 29.99, but received only the game, used, with no manual, in the little green Gamestop sleeve.

I my haste, I removed the sticker sealing the game in - I guess because I was in a WTF mood..

Long story short, they refused to refund me, or send me a NEW game, simply because I broke the seal.

- In reading other CAG posts it appears that I am not the only one who's had this experience.

[quote name='whitereflection']I get so tired of posting this......... get a preowned Xbox from Gamestop for $120 since they give you three free games: Morrowind, Star Wars: KOTOR, and Splinter Cell.[/quote]

also, is this a B&M deal? It doesn't appear on thier website.

[quote name='whitereflection']I get so tired of posting this......... get a preowned Xbox from Gamestop for $120 since they give you three free games: Morrowind, Star Wars: KOTOR, and Splinter Cell.

As for Live being worth it, IMO it is, especially compared to how much it costs to play PC games online. Of course, in many games, people exploit things they shouldn't. I'm a big fan of Capcom vs. SNK 2, and when people are losing, they just quit the game and their rank doesn't go down...[/quote]

[quote name='The_Continental']also, is this a B&M deal. It doesn't appear on thier website.

[quote name='whitereflection']I get so tired of posting this......... get a preowned Xbox from Gamestop for $120 since they give you three free games: Morrowind, Star Wars: KOTOR, and Splinter Cell.

As for Live being worth it, IMO it is, especially compared to how much it costs to play PC games online. Of course, in many games, people exploit things they shouldn't. I'm a big fan of Capcom vs. SNK 2, and when people are losing, they just quit the game and their rank doesn't go down...[/quote][/quote]

No, actually, this is only an online deal.

I woldnt get a used xbox, or any other console. There is probably a good reason they were traded in. Get the halo edition, cause halo rules, or a just get a new one. Oh, I'm glad you finally saw the light!

BIG Nick

damn straight. I got my Halo Green Xbox a little while back, and I love it.

With this, your guaranteed to have a newer one with the Samsung DVD ROM drive. *mine does I'm assuming all do* If you buy used, you dont know what your getting.

And its really sad b/c ive seen like 1 year old xboxes just peter out because they cant read the disc.

wouldu like to buy mine? Its been played about 3 times, bought a few months ago, and has all the packaging and stuff.

get a new one from FYE for $110 after the mail in rebates. Yeah it comes bundled with games(you get to build your bundle). I think i will wait a year or so when xbox is super cheap, if it falls below maybe $70 after all the rebates, then maybe I would trade in some played out games and get a new xbox.

I don't think FYE still offers that deal. I was at FYE this morning trying to get that deal but did not see the sign any more. Only sign for the regular at 149 and Halo ones at 169.

Go to Best Buy, buy Halo bundle for $180, buy replacement plan for $30, return it in two years when XBox 2 is/is about to come out, get $180 store credit back, use towards XBox 2.

pm sent

[quote name='BasketCase1080']wouldu like to buy mine? Its been played about 3 times, bought a few months ago, and has all the packaging and stuff.[/quote]

FSW really isn't worth buying an XBox for, I just bought it, and while it is great, it has it's flaws. One being that while a enemy is behind something, you can't hit him until you destroy his cover, and by this I mean that 3 guys with m-16's and a guy with a SAW miss every shot they take until the car or whatever the enemy is behind is destroyed.
Also, the M203 grenade doesn't arc like it is supposed to, it goes in a strait line for the target, so to kill a enemy behind cover you have to hit him while he is standing up, no lobbing the grenade over the cover onto the ground.

Thanks... I took everyone's advice and dropped 2 bills for the Halo special edition "extreme" bundle:

http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/520386.asp

I also got in on the breakdown/dtr gamestop deal. I think I might take some more of your advice and hold off on FSW, but I don't think I'll be able to keep myself away from Riddick.

Again, thanks for all your input! I hope green machine gets as much play as the PS2!

edit: yes, I realize that by ordering Breakdown/DTR from gamestop, I am contradicting my earlier post. Ugh . . . It's just way too hard to pass up a good deal.

[quote name='drfrielgood']Go to Best Buy, buy Halo bundle for $180, buy replacement plan for $30, return it in two years when XBox 2 is/is about to come out, get $180 store credit back, use towards XBox 2.[/quote]

that has got to be the most pathetic pseudo-con I've seen in a while.

Well since you have 400 games for your PS2 and Cube why dont you sell your worst games on ebay and make some $$$ and buy a Xbox without digging out of pocket. You can't go wrong with xbox, It is a awesome system that has tooken over my entertainment center.

[quote name='The_Continental']I've been putting it off for 2 years. . . I've got 400 games between my Cube and PS2, but it looks like full spectrum warrior is gonna be an X-clusive.

Sooo... I need advice. . . Is Live worth it? Where is the system the cheapest?

Thanks for your help![/quote]

First off, welcome to the dark side The Continental. You are now a true gaming master, and Bill Gates will show you how to further increase your powers when you purchase his dark system. I was once a huge Nintendrone till I bought an XBox, and I was by Sony's side for every RPG that came out. But I did not allow myself to fully embrace the dark side until the summer of 2003. The Lord showed me the power of the XBox.

I would actually have to recommend you purchasing a new XBox system. I heard the older models were less reliable, and many had faulty thompson drives. But with good care your system will last a eternity, well atleast mine has lasted a year ;) Edit: I guess you already bought your system anyways :p

Is Live worth it? Ah a very good question. This depends on if you already have broadband and how interested you are in online gaming. If you already have broadband then It's a bargain. For fifty dollars a year you will be allowed to download exclusive content and experience lag free (for the most part) online gaming. The headset allows you to talk with your enemies and teammates, but can be annoying depending on how mature the people are that you play with. I personally prefer voice over text, but that's just me.

There are plenty of live games to spark up my interest. To name a few? Capcom vs Snk 2 (atleast till all the other fighters come out), Wolfenstein (Till Halo 2 comes out ;), Links 2004, ESPN Nhl Hockey, Project Gotham Racing 2 and Rallisport Challenge 2. The future even looks brighter with Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, DOA Ultimate, Guilty Gear #Reload, King of Fighters 2002/2003 (notice the trend here?) and of course Halo 2. Even the games that just have the scoreboard feature allow you to get a good look at how you rank amongst the elite. I would say at the current price of $49.99 a year Live is a good deal, but if it were to be $99.99 a year it would be a complete rip off.

Ah, and of course thou art a cheapass gamer. There are plenty of good cheap games for the XBox. Ask around and ye shall receive.

Again, welcome to the dark side.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='drfrielgood']Go to Best Buy, buy Halo bundle for $180, buy replacement plan for $30, return it in two years when XBox 2 is/is about to come out, get $180 store credit back, use towards XBox 2.[/quote]

that has got to be the most pathetic pseudo-con I've seen in a while.[/quote]everytime I buy a warranty from BB they actually tell me to do it. I used mine 2 times so far(one to get a replacement Xbox) and then to get a PS2.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='drfrielgood']Go to Best Buy, buy Halo bundle for $180, buy replacement plan for $30, return it in two years when XBox 2 is/is about to come out, get $180 store credit back, use towards XBox 2.[/quote]

that has got to be the most pathetic pseudo-con I've seen in a while.[/quote]everytime I buy a warranty from BB they actually tell me to do it. I used mine 2 times so far(one to get a replacement Xbox) and then to get a PS2.[/quote]
Thats a really good idea. Ill have to keep it in mind when the next round of systems come out.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='drfrielgood']Go to Best Buy, buy Halo bundle for $180, buy replacement plan for $30, return it in two years when XBox 2 is/is about to come out, get $180 store credit back, use towards XBox 2.[/quote]

that has got to be the most pathetic pseudo-con I've seen in a while.[/quote]everytime I buy a warranty from BB they actually tell me to do it. I used mine 2 times so far(one to get a replacement Xbox) and then to get a PS2.[/quote]

I would'nt have wasted the money on the BB service plan, it's only a one time thing if something goes wrong with the system. After that your screwed if it breaks.
I would recomend the plan on the PS2 but not the Xbox.

Your better off buying the Microsoft service plan. It's for 2 years and they will fix or replace your system and controller no matter how many times it breaks with in the 2 year period.

Niether plan is good if you plan to mod your system.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='drfrielgood']Go to Best Buy, buy Halo bundle for $180, buy replacement plan for $30, return it in two years when XBox 2 is/is about to come out, get $180 store credit back, use towards XBox 2.[/quote]

that has got to be the most pathetic pseudo-con I've seen in a while.[/quote]

actually not completly, i use to work at best buy and we encourage buyers to do this, buy and trade up 2 years later, even gaming consoles. its one of the plans selling points, but be sure to say one of the (covered parts i.e. dvd drive) stopped working and not that you just want to trade your old one for an new one... and modding voids the plan.

bread's done
Back