GOG.com Holiday Sale - 25% to 40% Off

Thanks OP!, beside the Heroes of Might and Magic pack I purchased earlier, I picked up Fallout, Fallout 2, Septerra Core, Beyound Good and Evil and Warlord Battlecry 3.

If only they have the earlier Warlord games...

[quote name='opportunity777']Exactly what he said. Apparently, goodwill has gone a long way because the company's catalog has exploded into a nice collection.[/QUOTE]

And besides, these are good old games that aren't usually sold elsewhere. So the only alternative is to pirate, but GoG is so awesome that it is worth buying from them.

The first game I bought from GOG was Rise of the Triad and I am pretty sure that back when I played it with my friends in 95, I didn't actually own it... ;/

I will gladly goof around the office a little more and give that underserved pay to GOG for some gaming goodness.

[quote name='wasabi5858']The first game I bought from GOG was Rise of the Triad and I am pretty sure that back when I played it with my friends in 95, I didn't actually own it... ;/

I will gladly goof around the office a little more and give that underserved pay to GOG for some gaming goodness.[/QUOTE]
You just added another game to my list. I had a shareware copy of it that my brother and I used to play all the time.

I wish they had Baldur's Gate 2 +exp and Icewind Dale 2, I'd get those in a heartbeat. As it is I pretty much have everything I'd want from them already, but they are a neat place. Maybe they'll add them in the next 2 days! There's probably a big thread on the forum detailing why they'll never have Infinity Engine games but I haven't investigated, oh well. :(

[quote name='Nathrak']I wish they had Baldur's Gate 2 +exp and Icewind Dale 2, I'd get those in a heartbeat. As it is I pretty much have everything I'd want from them already, but they are a neat place. Maybe they'll add them in the next 2 days! There's probably a big thread on the forum detailing why they'll never have Infinity Engine games but I haven't investigated, oh well. :([/QUOTE]

Tried Lionheart? Probably the closest they have.

[quote name='Nathrak']I wish they had Baldur's Gate 2 +exp and Icewind Dale 2, I'd get those in a heartbeat. As it is I pretty much have everything I'd want from them already, but they are a neat place. Maybe they'll add them in the next 2 days! There's probably a big thread on the forum detailing why they'll never have Infinity Engine games but I haven't investigated, oh well. :([/QUOTE]

Until beginning of next year, GoG is not going to release any more titles.

Man, I have physical copies of Freespace 1 & 2, hugely loved those. I think I'll pick up Descent 1-3 and Painkiller Black Edition for about 15 bucks, nice! I played those before but I don't know where the copies are and if these are set up to work for modern OSes I'm in.

[quote name='bruceg']So the installers can be easily copied/backed up to any other computer or blank storage media for safekeeping? And if so and there are no usage restrictions, then how do they prevent piracy?[/QUOTE]

I think they are one of the few distributors that realize that you can't prevent piracy. This is how it should have always been, rather than inconveniencing the paying customers. No copy protection scheme has stopped pirates in the history of gaming. The only hope to stop it is to go to 100% digital distribution or subscription based gaming - which is where the industry is heading. I have made around 20 purchases from gog.com and spent over $50 there today. I never would have bought any of these games if they weren't drm free. I bought Sins of a Solar Empire when it came out just to support the fact that they didn't put annoying copy protection on it - and I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I buy from steam occasionally when they have a ridiculous sale going on, but I prefer gog because I can back my games up and not have to worry about 'no cd' cracks.

[quote name='Punk0']I think they are one of the few distributors that realize that you can't prevent piracy. This is how it should have always been, rather than inconveniencing the paying customers. No copy protection scheme has stopped pirates in the history of gaming. [/QUOTE]

This. GOG has me as a customer for life.

Hmm, I have:
Tropico
The Longest Journey
Redneck Rampage
Psychonauts (already owned on PS2, but...)
Painkiller Black
Oddworld 2
MDK 2
Duke Manhattan Project
Beyond Good and Evil (also already owned)
Arx Fatalis
Advent Rising

All in my cart...anyone have any can't-miss gems we should be getting? There's a lot of really interesting looking strategy games on there....

(I already own a bunch more that I'd be getting otherwise.)

You can get the longest journey with the Dreamfall GOTY edition, I got that for under $7 shipped from galactrix(3rd party seller on amazon, prime eligible).

I'm guessing that Fallout 1 & 2 both work well on netbooks, but has anyone actually tried them? Diablo 2 works well, so I don't think I should have any problems.

Even though netbooks have greatly hobbled hardware compared to most computers, they are still far more powerful than the computers that existed back in the late 1990s. The only issue might be the power-intensive 3D games from the era, such as Deus Ex. But since Fallout is mostly sprite based, it should be more than enough. The only worry I'd have would be compatibility, but GOG takes care of that for you.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Do these games work for MAC?[/QUOTE]

Not natively, but I don't have a problem running Fallout 1 & 2 through Vmware Fusion 3.

I have a 13in Macbook Pro with nvidia 9400m graphics, and most older games (and some newer indie games) run just fine in vmware fusion in windows xp.

I've heard that Beyond Good and Evil for PC has a lot of issues. Should I take my chances and get it anyway or try and obtain a console version?

The site works for me, but the cart from the Holiday sale page doesn't. I had to add the games from the main site in order to purchase them.

[quote name='Fonic']I've heard that Beyond Good and Evil for PC has a lot of issues. Should I take my chances and get it anyway or try and obtain a console version?[/QUOTE]

I know that the steam version was buggy as heck, but I've heard that the GoG version works a lot better. Even though I bought it from them in case I have the sudden urge to give it a second go (likely at some point), I still haven't installed it.

[quote name='watcher0']Do the versions of Fallout I & II on this site have less compatibility/bug issues than the originals or the collection?[/QUOTE]

I used the patches from NMA-fallout.com.

[quote name='SScorpio']GOG offers a download client you can use, but you can also directly download the installers through your normal browser. Once they are downloaded they are just normal DRM free setup programs you can run on any computer you want, there isn't a client that you need to install and there aren't online activation or number of install limits.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your answer, bro!

Now, anotherr, even more important for me question, does anyone successfully play these games on a 64-bit OS? I have a Vista.

Thanks a lot!

[quote name='jumbo11']Thanks for your answer, bro!

Now, anotherr, even more important for me question, does anyone successfully play these games on a 64-bit OS? I have a Vista.

Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

Im running on W7 64 bit and I have not had any issues. I used to have vista x64 and didn't have any problems either.

I've never bought anything on GOG before and this seemed like a good time to start up an account.

I picked up the Fallout Pack, the Freespace Pack, and Psychonauts.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I know that the steam version was buggy as heck, but I've heard that the GoG version works a lot better. Even though I bought it from them in case I have the sudden urge to give it a second go (likely at some point), I still haven't installed it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, guess I might just go ahead and get it from them then. PS2 version's $19.99 on Amazon but I'd rather support GOG and get a much better price to boot. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I know that the steam version was buggy as heck, but I've heard that the GoG version works a lot better. Even though I bought it from them in case I have the sudden urge to give it a second go (likely at some point), I still haven't installed it.[/QUOTE]

Yea my copy from Steam is all messed up occasionally but it's just graphical. I'd update my graphic card drivers but I can't because I have special "Sony Viao" ones which sucks. Game is still great though.

It's funny, these games are 12 years old and we're asking about specs :)

I assume Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics are all turn based? I know I have played one of them before but can't recall which. Tactics has a party, and 1+2 are single character, correct?

I'm a sucker - I just bought the M&M pack and haven't even finished my first game of HoMM, and I'm tempted by this. And even worse, I'm tempted by the "Fallout Pack" even know AFAICT there's not actually a pack/bundle discount for it.

But yeah, like someone has said before, this is the kind of DD I want to support. Quality content, playable offline, ability to make legal backups of the data, and not linked to a specific machine. The only concern is that the site will just fold, but hopefully they'll either stay in business a long time, or at the very least send people a notice before anything happens so we can download all the stuff we've bought.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea my copy from Steam is all messed up occasionally but it's just graphical. I'd update my graphic card drivers but I can't because I have special "Sony Viao" ones which sucks. Game is still great though.[/QUOTE]

You can probably force Nvidia's divers to install, but it sucks that Sony won't let them support them...crazy conspiracy theory I just made up...maybe they don't want their computers competing with Playstation? :lol: )

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea my copy from Steam is all messed up occasionally but it's just graphical. I'd update my graphic card drivers but I can't because I have special "Sony Viao" ones which sucks. Game is still great though.[/QUOTE]

Mine was also laggy, and I hated how the cut scene audio was off from the video. I still loved it despite those problems.

I ended up getting Advent Rising and Duke Nukem 3D. Here's to hoping I have enough time to play these and all the games I'll eventually get off the steam sale.

Picked up Descent 1&2, Freespace 2, and Pro Pinball Big Race USA, several games I've never played but always heard good things about.

We never did find out what the alternative Christmas gift was, huh? (For those who already had Mean Streets/Martian Memorandum)

Random note...I'm up to $35ish spent at GOG.com, $48ish spent at Gogamer, and $21 spent at Steam...which like I said in the other thread, isn't the dumbest way I've ever spent money :D At least I'm getting a bunch of neat games in the process.

(Ugh...just remembered a couple of years back when I spent a bit more buying just that horrible Nights sequel and Resident Evil lightgun game...yeah, I don't feel bad about what I spent this week :D )

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Should I expect much more trouble with running their games than on Vista?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Vista and 7 are pretty much the same OS deep down. Everything that runs on one should work about the same on the other, from everything I've heard so far.

[quote name='Vegan']We never did find out what the alternative Christmas gift was, huh? (For those who already had Mean Streets/Martian Memorandum)[/QUOTE]

Check your email, they just sent out a coupon code that is redeemable for any normally $5.99 game that is good through 1/10/10.

[quote name='SScorpio']Check your email, they just sent out a coupon code that is redeemable for any normally $5.99 game that is good through 1/10/10.[/QUOTE]

yep including games like Myst and Riven which are the only games not on sale right now (oh and The Manhole)

seems odd that Cyan Worlds (presumably) wouldn't let their games be discounted for the sale yet you can get them for free as a Christmas gift :???:

Cool, I'll be curious if you like it. I tried it a few years ago and couldn't get into it, I think partly because of the graphics. I played it at least 5 years AFTER playing Balder's Gate, so...

Either way though, this sale is definitely the time to try it!

[quote name='SScorpio']Check your email, they just sent out a coupon code that is redeemable for any normally $5.99 game that is good through 1/10/10.[/QUOTE]

Yup used mine for Riven since i never actually played it.:)

[quote name='Layd Dly']Yup used mine for Riven since i never actually played it.:)[/QUOTE]

Cool, hope you like it! I HATE PC style 'adventure' games...even stuff like the charming Curse of Monkey Island...

Except Riven. It's literally the only one I've liked to date. Of course I played it a decade ago, but I found it incredibly immersive (played at night with the lights off)-the graphics STILL look great from the screen shots I was just looking at. Some of the puzzles drive me nuts, but they all felt organic to the world (unlike all the rest of these games), and the one I cheated on I about slapped my forehead afterwords, at how clever it was and how I should have gotten it.

It's also notable for being the only game that Next Generation online and Next Generation the magazine diverged on-all the rest they'd use the same reviews or at least the same scores. If I'm remembering correctly, the magazine gave it 1 star or something like that, while the website gave it 5 stars and called it brilliant, and they had an article talking about why they had to diverge. That bizarre situation alone had it on my radar.

I'm wondering how the GOG version works? The original came on something like 6 or more CDs, and occassionally you'd have to swap them, but I guess the GOG version wouldn't have that limitation. (I think early on there was a special DVD release too, but this was several years before DVD ROM drives were semi-common)

[quote name='Hudson187']I have yet to receive the email promo code - does this go to everyone who has a gog.com account?[/QUOTE]

No it was only sent out to people who didn't get the free Tex Murphy 1+2 gift because they had already bought it. You needed to enter your email on the alternative gift request form.

These guys rock and they deserve more support, luv their prices. Bought a couple of games. They let you download and save the file and you can install it at a later date. I like them better than Steam because it uses no DRM. :applause:

I bought a couple of good flight sims for $3.59 each.

I just spent about $100 over at GOG. Picked up the Tex Murphy series (got 1+2 free last month during the promotion), Postal 2, 1nsane, all of the Pro Pinball games, all of the MegaRace games, Sanitarium, Obscure, Giants, Manhattan Project, Expendable, and several more titles.

A lot of the ones I mentioned I still have on CD, but IMO, they're worth buying again. GOG deserves the support and I really appreciate what they're doing.

That's awesome :whistle2:D

I've only spent $35 on this sale, but I'm thinking of getting Empire Earth (I don't exactly know why), and there's probably other great stuff I'm m issing.

I already played it on the Gamecube, but I bought a copy of Beyond Good & Evil during the sale. Love that game.

bread's done
Back