GOG.com just closed down - Publicity Stunt - Close Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Brownjohn']There are very few games offered by both GOG and Steam. I belive most of GOG's games were not available on Steam, and therefore had little to do with Steam's pricing.[/QUOTE]

This. Off hand I can think of the old Fallout Trilogy, and I think there were a couple RPGs / Strategies. And if they were available on Steam I bet they are available on at least 1 other service as well (IE Fallouts on D2D).

So, for people who use both websites this outcome would be quite nice. And since steam sales tend to be a lot better than GOG sales were, I bet we'd get a lot of these games for cheap on the holidays.

[quote name='Brownjohn']There are very few games offered by both GOG and Steam. I belive most of GOG's games were not available on Steam, and therefore had little to do with Steam's pricing.

I would be thrilled if all my GOG games were merged with my Steam account. I understand that publishers like DRM, and Steam is the sort of DRM I can deal with.[/QUOTE]

A Steam takeover would defeat one of the basic principals of GOG. No drm. :bomb:

And another thing, we would probably have to put up with those horse's asses called Steam Moderators. God those guys are pathetic. :roll:

[quote name='mogamer']A Steam takeover would defeat one of the basic principals of GOG. No drm. :bomb:

And another thing, we would probably have to put up with those horse's asses called Steam Moderators. God those guys are pathetic. :roll:[/QUOTE]
The DRM shouldn't be an issue, at this point you either support DRM or you support the pirates.

It's like someone that will only shop at a store where there's no locks on the doors, it's unreasonable.

As far as a Steam takeover they each fit a different part of the market and Steam's ability to advertise and price goods is a huge asset.

[quote name='mogamer']A Steam takeover would defeat one of the basic principals of GOG. No drm. :bomb:

And another thing, we would probably have to put up with those horse's asses called Steam Moderators. God those guys are pathetic. :roll:[/QUOTE]

1) Yes, including DRM would defeat the original purpose of GOG, however, apparently it hasn't worked as a good business plan. At this point, you have two options: 1. Deal with DRM, and accept that Steam is the best form, or 2. don't buy any downloads.

2) No one is forcing you to post on the Steam forums. Problem solved.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The DRM shouldn't be an issue, at this point you either support DRM or you support the pirates.[/QUOTE]

That sir is what is known as a false dichotomy.

I hope they're not gone for good and I did buy a few games from them. I can't see why Publishers would have a problem with them not using any DRM on games that are no longer in circulation. I think part of the problem is the cost involved in removing DRM, running and maintaining a server, billing, a customer database and paying the publishers their royalty fee. All this is hard to do and make money when you are selling an average game for less than $5.

[quote name='Brownjohn']
2) No one is forcing you to post on the Steam forums. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

I rarely do. Doesn't change the fact that they're asses. ;)

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The DRM shouldn't be an issue, at this point you either support DRM or you support the pirates.

[/QUOTE]

So if I don't support drm I'm a pirate? That's like saying if you do support drm, you support corporate thuggery. :roll:

Man, it is a shame. GOG always treated the fan base well. I was so hoping that the rest of the Journeyman Project would have been released - I miss playing those classics!

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm actually amazed Good Old Games lasted THIS long (in that format). They had some great old games but still too many games that weren't, well, THAT GOOD. Couple that with the prices that simply weren't low enough and the only way to end up is where we are now.

I look forward to their restructuring and hope it can get more people to spend more money. If that means DRM, well, let's hope it's well-implemented, non-intrusive DRM. What Good Old Games is doing (making old games super easy to play on new hardware) is something that needs to stay alive.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The DRM shouldn't be an issue, at this point you either support DRM or you support the pirates.

It's like someone that will only shop at a store where there's no locks on the doors, it's unreasonable.

As far as a Steam takeover they each fit a different part of the market and Steam's ability to advertise and price goods is a huge asset.[/QUOTE]

This whole series of events is exactly why DRM is an issue and is a perfect example of why DRM fears are reasonable.

Because I purchased from gog.com, I still have all my installers and all my gog.com games work exactly as they did last week. Because they did not have any DRM system. Could the same be said if Valve suddenly went out of business? What about if this same thing happened to Impulse? Will your retail boxed games work in 5 years if the activation servers are down?

This is more of a reason than ever to support systems without DRM.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The DRM shouldn't be an issue, at this point you either support DRM or you support the pirates.[/quote]

[quote name='megma42']That sir is what is known as a false dichotomy.[/QUOTE]

^ This.

[quote name='Slash']This whole series of events is exactly why DRM is an issue and is a perfect example of why DRM fears are reasonable.

Because I purchased from gog.com, I still have all my installers and all my gog.com games work exactly as they did last week. Because they did not have any DRM system. Could the same be said if Valve suddenly went out of business? What about if this same thing happened to Impulse? Will your retail boxed games work in 5 years if the activation servers are down?

This is more of a reason than ever to support systems without DRM.[/QUOTE]

You'll probably die before steam does.

As far as a Steam takeover they each fit a different part of the market and Steam's ability to advertise and price goods is a huge asset.[/QUOTE]

Eh.. lock on the doors would be more like a secure website to shop on..

It would be more like if a comic publisher laced their comics with a special chemical that prevented people from scanning the pages.. A lot of people may experiance no problem with this and go on reading their comics without worry!

Other people may find that their comics smel funny now! Or that the chemical causes the print to smear.. Or they catch it melting and dripping on their furniture causing minor damage.

In the end, people posting the comics online for free just use a camera and do a little more work touching it up in photoshop.. People viewing the stolen comic don't have their experience changed negatively like people buying them might.

Analogies are fun!! I know nothing about the mechanics of scanners and cameras though! LETS JUST PRETEND THEY DON'T DO THE SAME EXACT THING.. if they do! or something!!

[quote name='Brownjohn']There are very few games offered by both GOG and Steam. I belive most of GOG's games were not available on Steam, and therefore had little to do with Steam's pricing. [/QUOTE]

That's like saying that Home Depot and Lowe's aren't competing with each other because they've got different brands of air conditioners. (Totally true, I saw this first hand.) Sometimes you're not looking to get a Maytag specifically. Sometimes you're just looking to get the best price on an air conditioner.

Sometimes you're not looking to get Modern Warfare 2 specifically. Sometimes you're just looking to get the best price on a game.

[quote name='helmet']You'll probably die before steam does.[/QUOTE]
It's not Steam that would die, but rather a licensing agreement which would result in delistings.

It's happened to almighty Amazon's Kindle marketplace. Hell, people plugged in their Kindles and it erased some of their books. It happens all the time on Apple's app store. It can happen here.

So, yes, the fears are rational.

Well, this is disappointing. I was going to buy their copies of Fallout 1 and 2 so I could have a copy without DRM, but I guess that's not an option anymore, if rumors are to be believed. The one reason I was going to begin buying from GOG was because it lacked DRM. Definitely feeling like I missed the boat on this one.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Well, this is disappointing. I was going to buy their copies of Fallout 1 and 2 so I could have a copy without DRM, but I guess that's not an option anymore, if rumors are to be believed. The one reason I was going to begin buying from GOG was because it lacked DRM. Definitely feeling like I missed the boat on this one.[/QUOTE]
actually just get fallout trilogy off amazon or ebay. it's DRM free and comes with all interplay fallouts with bonus stuff like high res, mods, restorations etc. i got mine for $5

My take is that anyone who is still oblivious or in denial to the grand potentiality of a "marketing" scheme here lacks a lot of insight. The writing's not just on the wall, it's on our foreheads and GOG's holding a mirror up.

The duplicitous nature of the documentation and notices is almost overkill, it's blatant, IMO.

Of course I'm not psychic so I could end up eating crow here, but, I think there is enough evidence and further CAG insight to designate the situation as an upgrade/renovation and not a shutdown.

I have 7 games from GOG, I believe, and they *should* be downloaded some place or another...I know I just bought 3 in the Codemasters sale, and I have those on the drive.

I like them for both the anti-DRM stance and the unique selection, as well as the bonuses that come with the games. The slight price difference from a comparable STEAM budget price is negligible with these perks.

Their "forthcoming announcement" is nothing more than the official word that they've upgraded/hit full stride or merged with someone. They're just dangling it in front of anyone attentive enough to catch it.

More like shopping at a store that doesn't perform a cavity search on your way out the door, the way a lot of DRM schemes are. :shame:

Perhaps they'll merge with Steam?

Anywho, there were some games that I wanted to get
on GOG, but never got around to it. I guess that I was
hoping that they'd come over to Steam instead, since
I was already on Steam, and liked their system.
I have a hard time making due with change, unless
I find a functioning arcade machine.

Perhaps GOG could team up with Valve, and they
could focus on getting the older games on Steam's
service.

I can't imagine this is a PR stunt. This is a business (download games) that's biggest weakness is credibility/longevity -- people fear that even Steam (however unlikely) is going to shut down overnight. Many people still prefer games in a box.

This would be like Toyota making their slogan 'ACCELERATION THAT NEVER STOPS!'.

The best hope for GOG is for someone to pick them up. I always figured their business was unsustainable....they had great games, but probably not enough sales. They'll probably migrate accounts & downloads to Direct2Drive or Steam, in exchange for bringing the customer base over.

[quote name='Dwapook']Eh.. lock on the doors would be more like a secure website to shop on..

It would be more like if a comic publisher laced their comics with a special chemical that prevented people from scanning the pages.. A lot of people may experiance no problem with this and go on reading their comics without worry!

Other people may find that their comics smel funny now! Or that the chemical causes the print to smear.. Or they catch it melting and dripping on their furniture causing minor damage.

In the end, people posting the comics online for free just use a camera and do a little more work touching it up in photoshop.. People viewing the stolen comic don't have their experience changed negatively like people buying them might.

Analogies are fun!! I know nothing about the mechanics of scanners and cameras though! LETS JUST PRETEND THEY DON'T DO THE SAME EXACT THING.. if they do! or something!![/QUOTE]

This was better than the entire thread rolled up into a Katamari. Fun and messy, like playing in mud only to realize that it was in fact chocolate so you get to eat it when you're all done.

In the case of the GoG news, the mud turned out to be poo, and yet many still ended up eating it anyway.

Gog posted a teaser video today, and it looks like this whole thing is probably a pr stunt regarding an announcement that they've achieved a deal to sell Baldur's Gate through gog.
That would be one of the biggest deals the site has ever made, and definitely something worthy of them making such a huge fuss over.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jaysonguy']
[/QUOTE]

LOL so it's better to buy stuff from a shop that requires you to give a copy of your keys to your house and agree they can invade your house at anytime and take the stuff back. Yeah that's much more reasonable.:roll:

[quote name='Foxamojo']Gog posted a teaser video today, and it looks like this whole thing is probably a pr stunt regarding an announcement that they've achieved a deal to sell Baldur's Gate through gog.
That would be one of the biggest deals the site has ever made, and definitely something worthy of them making such a huge fuss over.[/QUOTE]

Exclusive distribution for Baldur's Gate 3? That's pretty cool.

Check out the "farewell" video on GOG.com's site as of this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ

Interestingly, at the 0:12" mark they show Baldurs Gate, a game series that wasn't originally on their service:

gogbaldursgate.jpg

A sign of things to come? That would be great, particularly since I could only find the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games on GameTap years ago in digital form (looks like neither series are on GameTap anymore though).

Edit: HAH! Looks like you fellow CAG's beat me to the punch with Baldurs Gate ;) Good eyes!

In regard to the Baldur's Gate series. Atari now holds the rights to all those D&D franchise games (including Icewind Dale series). And I saw on another site, forgot which one, that rumors in Europe had Atari buying CDProjects parent company. So maybe those rumors are true? Or maybe this is just a continuation of GOG's current contract with Atari? I guess we'll see in the next couple of days.

[quote name='choral_music']It's not Steam that would die, but rather a licensing agreement which would result in delistings.

It's happened to almighty Amazon's Kindle marketplace. Hell, people plugged in their Kindles and it erased some of their books. It happens all the time on Apple's app store. It can happen here.

So, yes, the fears are rational.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Steam games they delist are no longer available for purchase, but remain available for re-download. There's actually a list of them on the Steam forums if you care to look. See, your Steam purchase entitles you to a license to use said game, so even if they can't sell any more licenses, they still store your purchase and allow you to redownload it when needed.

Sorry to poke a hole in your tinfoil hat. Omg, all the evil satellite transmissions from aliens are going into your brain unfiltered! RUN! RUN!

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Sorry to poke a hole in your tinfoil hat. Omg, all the evil satellite transmissions from aliens are going into your brain unfiltered! RUN! RUN![/QUOTE]

I hope you're a shill and don't actually buy into that. :roll: The popular "you're being paranoid!" response to why we shouldn't care about not owning games is beyond tired.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Actually, Steam games they delist are no longer available for purchase, but remain available for re-download. There's actually a list of them on the Steam forums if you care to look. See, your Steam purchase entitles you to a license to use said game, so even if they can't sell any more licenses, they still store your purchase and allow you to redownload it when needed.

Sorry to poke a hole in your tinfoil hat. Omg, all the evil satellite transmissions from aliens are going into your brain unfiltered! RUN! RUN![/QUOTE]

This is true. I remember when Sega delisted Outrun 2006 after the holiday sale and I was able to still download it. Both Steam and GOG have a lot of goodwill with their customers and will not want to ruin this if things go bad because they will want to keep this goodwill with them when going on to other business ventures.

OMFG. I would be all over Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, especially if they can get them to work with Win 7. Planescape Torment would be nice too.

Looking around the net, there are the things I see being speculated.

It looks like there will be a client now, which would satisfy the DRM option that publishers wanted.

Prices may no longer be sticking at $5.99 and $9.99.

They are going to give customers the option to redownload the games they previously bought DRM free, but all future purchases will be tied into this GOG client (similar to Steam).

I guess we'll see tomorrow. I can see all three happening.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']This is true. I remember when Sega delisted Outrun 2006 after the holiday sale and I was able to still download it.[/QUOTE]

I just checked, and Outrun 2006 is still there...

[quote name='animalspinners']It looks like there will be a client now, which would satisfy the DRM option that publishers wanted. [/quote]

If there is, and it involves activation, then that completely ruins the point of GOG.

Now if it requires a client, but the client doesn't have activation, that would be...well, more annoying than NOT having it, but still acceptable for many (myself included).

Prices may no longer be sticking at $5.99 and $9.99.

Now that's fine. I've long wanted them to sell first run games, or whatever-I was attracted due to the lack of DRM, not the price points (not that I minded having $10 be the max price :lol:)

I'm almost positive the no DRM thing will be a thing of the past, from here on out. From the tweets about how it's difficult running a no-drm service due to publishers and management, to the interview with one of the heads of GOG that brought this quote:

"Unsurprisingly DRM plays a huge part in putting off some publishers. As GOG have a strict policy of having no DRM whatsoever in any of the products they sell, the “big guys in the industry like Activision, Atari or Ubisoft” have proved most difficult to accept the GOG ethos…"

If the Baldur's Gate thing is true, that's Atari, and you can put the pieces together. I doubt they suddenly changed their minds on what will be a huge cash cow for all parties involved.

Here is the article if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2010/09/20/the-making-of-good-old-games/1

Makes me think also the site isn't coming back as GOG, but rather something else.

Man, that "GOG Chick" picture in there kicks ass :whistle2:D

I wonder...wouldn't it be funny if every single pro-DRM person on the intertubes was a shill? :lol:

Sure, we'd love for you to sell our 10 year old games that we don't give a shit about anymore, but only if they're infested with our particular brand of DRM.

With the way the game industry moves, it seems simpler to have some kind of statute of limitations and say, after 10 years, any released game is free of all copyright.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']With the way the game industry moves, it seems simpler to have some kind of statute of limitations and say, after 10 years, any released game is free of all copyright.[/QUOTE]

uhhh, sure tell that to Miyamoto..I guess if you mean an individual game, then maybe, but if you mean an entire license..no way!

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Sure, we'd love for you to sell our 10 year old games that we don't give a shit about anymore, but only if they're infested with our particular brand of DRM.

[/QUOTE]

That's the truely pathetic thing about it. These companies have all but given up on selling older releases in favor of pushing newer stuff. But now that they have seen that they can make money on older games, they want to load up on drm schemes.

ATTENTION BIG PUBLISHERS! All of these older games have been available through abandonware sites for years. We're buying them because it's easier and more satisfying buying them. If the product is loaded with some dumb drm scheme, people will just go back to the abandonware sites and you'll make no money on them.

[quote name='token2k6']uhhh, sure tell that to Miyamoto..I guess if you mean an individual game, then maybe, but if you mean an entire license..no way![/QUOTE]

I can see a series being protected, because that means new stuff is still being created. But Disney basically did nothing with Mickey Mouse for years, but whined about the early MM cartoons expiring, thus copywrite was extended. Earlier creators were able to be creative and make good money under the original law, why do current creators need longer periods of protection? Are Walt Disney's or Miyamoto's creations any more important than H.G. Wells or Mark Twain's?

[quote name='mogamer']Are Walt Disney's or Miyamoto's creations any more important than H.G. Wells or Mark Twain's?[/QUOTE]

no, they just have better lawyers.

the former we individual's rights whereas these are corporation's. an individual dies and stops making money, a corporation lives on as long as its making money for someone.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Actually, Steam games they delist are no longer available for purchase, but remain available for re-download. There's actually a list of them on the Steam forums if you care to look. See, your Steam purchase entitles you to a license to use said game, so even if they can't sell any more licenses, they still store your purchase and allow you to redownload it when needed.

Sorry to poke a hole in your tinfoil hat. Omg, all the evil satellite transmissions from aliens are going into your brain unfiltered! RUN! RUN![/QUOTE]If by poking a hole, you mean completely circumventing the Kindle argument, along with a slew of other examples that say otherwise? (Including the almighty Steam...)

Who cares if there is DRM, as long as I can continue to download through the client like Steam. I mean, Steam has DRM and I don't really care. I have faith that Steam will never flat-out close, and if it does shift to a new owner or something they won't want to piss off all the loyal customers who use the service and pay their bills.

To me, the "main point" of GOG was never that it was DRM-free. The selling point of GOG was that it had older games that couldn't be purchased anywhere else and were guaranteed to run on modern hardware/OS's. That's all I really care about, so if they unveil some new client-based service that allows me to do that, I'm on board.

[quote name='choral_music']If by poking a hole, you mean completely circumventing the Kindle argument, along with a slew of other examples that say otherwise? (Including the almighty Steam...)[/QUOTE]

Did he say they did not delist games? No. He said you can still play the games you purchased even if they aren't sold anymore.

If anyone is curious what's going on here, GOG updated the website to say they will talk about what's happening Wednesday at noon, EST.

We confirm that the official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events will take place on Wednesday at 12 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. CET)

[quote name='mogamer']That's the truely pathetic thing about it. These companies have all but given up on selling older releases in favor of pushing newer stuff. But now that they have seen that they can make money on older games, they want to load up on drm schemes.

ATTENTION BIG PUBLISHERS! All of these older games have been available through abandonware sites for years. We're buying them because it's easier and more satisfying buying them. If the product is loaded with some dumb drm scheme, people will just go back to the abandonware sites and you'll make no money on them.[/QUOTE]

Abandonware sites won't even have the downloads anymore because you know, that's kind of the point of abandonware: let you download games that are not currently sold officially. Sites that let you download games that are currently sold by any official means are not abandonware sites, they're warez sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back