GOG.com just closed down - Publicity Stunt - Close Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='opportunity777']I can see new games coming out on a client, but after 1 to 2 years maybe moving to completely DRM free. That would open the door to a lot more games.[/QUOTE]

And yet this industry hardly shows itself to be trustworthy. GoG wouldn't be able to say hey, buy our games and don't worry in a couple of years we'll remove the DRM and have me actually believe them.

I don't know why they unlisted OR2006, but I suspect they unlisted SEGA Rally Revo because it seemingly has issues with newer OSes. It runs just fine on my XP x86 partition, but it's choppy on my 7 x64 partition. Unfortunately, SEGA disbanded the development team, so there's no chance of there ever being a patch.

And even though it was unlisted, I was able to redownload SEGA Rally Revo last week.

[quote name='Foxamojo']Abandonware sites won't even have the downloads anymore because you know, that's kind of the point of abandonware: let you download games that are not currently sold officially. Sites that let you download games that are currently sold by any official means are not abandonware sites, they're warez sites.[/QUOTE]

You're right, that's what I should have said. :bomb:
But I consider them all the same. Pirate sites.

[quote name='mogamer']But I consider them all the same. Pirate sites.[/QUOTE]

They are pirate sites, but they do demonstrate that there is a market for certain titles and in the end create profit for the rights holders. This is a similar model to fansubbing for anime. Without fansubbing US publishers would have no market data about what to push in the US.

WTF if this is just them leaving beta, brilliant/stupid PR stunt. In the video, there are images of games that have NOT been released in the store yet. Thats all the proof rright there methinks

Annoying for those who had to go days without being able to dl their stuff, but its worked. Everyones attention and I for one will peruse their collection and maybe make a purchase...its been a while

What's that link for? It says there's still room available. It asks for a username, which it doesn't accept. Then I just hit the cancel button and it takes you to this screen with some controls at the top.

I'm not sure if it's going to do anything, or if I'm supposed to be connected to it :lol:

Please please PLEASE tell me GOG isn't going away, but is coming back stronger than ever!

[quote name='jcallina']They are pirate sites, but they do demonstrate that there is a market for certain titles and in the end create profit for the rights holders.[/QUOTE]Yeah, but how many of the people that download the software are going to go buy the game when it gets released? I'd be willing to bet that most of those people won't see the need to since they already have the game downloaded. Any demand created by those players has already been fulfilled by the pirate sites.

:lol: this is insane...I'm watching the video right now, and...they're dressed up as monks, and calling each other "brother", and one notices a spelling mistake, and another goes "brother, let us pray on this spelling mistake" or something :lol:

This is insane and kind of awesomely hilarious. They're talking about how they "sinned" by taking down the site and must redeem themselves, etc. :lol:

"This is just like the guys from...I forget the name...shmoogle?"

Oh man, I can't wait for it to come back up! I want to buy something right away :lol:

Baldur's Gate is an AWESOME addition, though I already own it on (90? ;) ) discs. I don't own Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale though...

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']It was a hoax/PR stunt.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/22/gog-com-apologise-for-hoax-closure/

But... they now have Baldur's Gate![/QUOTE]

It was a stupid idea, as it generated a lot of negative PR, but at least they're not changing anything fundamental, plus they're bringing in the #1 requested series.

I'm not angry at them. I understand that they don't have a large marketing budget and they wanted to generate some buzz. I think bringing Baldur's Gate is a good step towards bringing some of the good will they lost with this stunt. Hopefully they'll have a nice sale on it. I'd love to pick up the entire series and expansions for

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back