GOG Deals Thread

[quote name='JanusDS']Does anybody have any opinions or would recommend Gothic or Arx Fatalis at these prices? [/QUOTE]

I paid full price and beat Arx Fatalis back in the day for the Xbox. Fantastic game, immersive world, it definitely filled the void left after I did all I wanted to do in Morrowind. For this price, you can't go wrong.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Almost everything will be on sale, on steam during the summer sale which looks like it will be next week.[/QUOTE]

Steam is cool and all, but the Vampire Masequerade: Bloodlines I bought off of them awhile back would not work on my computer and I'm too lazy to look up fan patches/mods. I love the fact GOG does all the hard work for me on making sure the game will work and the fact that it's DRM free means they get my business far more than Steam.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Almost everything will be on sale, on steam during the summer sale which looks like it will be next week.[/QUOTE]

Heh heh, yeah that was kinda what I was banking on when I made the comment about a sale, so I figure it's probably better just to wait for the summer sale and see. :D

Bosamba said:
I paid full price and beat Arx Fatalis back in the day for the Xbox. Fantastic game, immersive world, it definitely filled the void left after I did all I wanted to do in Morrowind. For this price, you can't go wrong.

Cool, thanks. I'm assuming that even though they don't explicitly state it, the game has also been made compatible with Win7 since nearly all of their old games are - does anybody know if I'm correct in that assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP updated. (I wake up late and my timezone doesn't help; sorry it's a bit delayed each day.)

I'm somewhat surprised that The Last Express is blowing away Broken Sword. I've actually heard of Broken Sword and heard good things about it. I've never even heard of The Last Express and it's winning by a landslide. Perhaps I've just heard of the more obscure title.

[quote name='JanusDS']Cool, thanks. I'm assuming that even though they don't explicitly state it, the game has also been made compatible with Win7 since nearly all of their old games are - does anybody know if I'm correct in that assumption?[/QUOTE]
Yes. As it states in the OP:

[quote name='Idiotekque']If you haven't bought from GOG before, all of their games are no-hassle DRM free and almost all of them come with bonus content (soundtracks, wallpapers, concept art, etc). These are also old games that typically would not work on new operating systems like Vista and Win7. GOG tweaks all their games to work perfectly with any system![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mugatu']Argh! So ticked I missed Fahrenheit![/QUOTE]
If it's any consolation, the game is pretty cheap as it is. If you really want it, an extra $3 or so isn't too bad.

Otherwise it will probably be a long time before it's on sale again. :cry: GOG deals are sparse because their normal prices are pretty good as is.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yes. As it states in the OP:[/QUOTE]

Ok, yeah I read and already knew that; I was just asking if anybody had experience with this particular game on Win7 since GOG also almost always includes Win7 in the list of compatible OS's and doesn't with this one. But I'm assuming it was just an erroneous omission since they do generally tweak all their older games to work properly with current operating systems.

Hm, well I'm not sure then. I've never heard of a GOG game not working on Win7 (it's kind of their "thing" that the games play on anything), but I can't be sure. If you do bite on it let us know whether or not it works for you. For the price I'd call it worth the risk (if you want the game).

The Last Express is such an amazing experience. Seriously, experience. I remember getting it years ago and just being pulled into the game. I had never played anything like it before and I'm honestly not sure I have ever since. Comes highly recommended.

[quote name='sultangaming']Getting it as soon as I wake up tomorrow. :)[/QUOTE]

I hope you wake up before 9 am EST.. that's when the current deal ends.

Decided not to bite on Arx Fatalis. I still never played either of the Ultima Underworlds (and I KNOW I'm getting them if they go on sale), any of the Might and Magic games (which are in the same boat), and I know I'm itching to get a good copy of Master of Orion 2. Hell, I never played much of the original Ultimas.

Too many games to get and even if I really want Arx in the future it can wait more than a year anyway.

Knowing my luck, the Ultimas and Might and Magics 1-6 will be on the same day (at least they would be on sale but still...)

If you are a fan of adventure games I would highly recommend The Last Express. A great game with a great story. I played it growing up and was very happy to see it on sale.

Yeah I missed Arx as well. These damn sales are too fast! Anyway, I think The Last Express won because Broken Sword was actually a freebie GoG gave away last year sometime (for like 4 days). Looks like an interesting adventure game, I'm pretty sure I'll grab it - and I voted for JA2.

I grabbed The Last Express while I had the chance - $2.39 is an amazing price, and I never played it back in the day. Plus, it's cheaper than your usual GOG sale price.

With this latest sale, GOG has been getting quite a bit of my business lately.

OP updated.

Remember, you can check how long the deal is on for on the voting page. When the vote ends, the current deal ends with it! Be sure to act quick if you don't want to miss something!

Kinda disappointed with the next two games as they've been on sale all over the place.

The Last Express is a fantastic game, very unique and original, and everyone should at least try it at this price!

I already have JA but voted for it anyway. I've played the UFO series before and didn't care for it, it's a pale imitation of XCOM.

@keithp
XCom used to be called UFO bro.

Piccard-Facepalm.jpg

I had never been exposed to The Last Express or Broken Sword, one reason these type of sales are so badass. Bought both on the reviews and the CAG recommendations here. Thanks Guys. Looking forward to the next 2 weeks with GOG's sale, Steam's Summer Sale, and the responses to it from other outlets like Amazon,Gamersgate, GreenManGaming,etc. I just bought 2 Hitachi 2TB drives, and stocked $300 away, oh yeah, I'm ready to increase my back log.

[quote name='sultangaming']@keithp
XCom used to be called UFO bro.

Piccard-Facepalm.jpg
[/QUOTE]

UFO and X-com are different series. The UFO series is a spiritual successor to the x-com games.

I actually liked UFO: Afterlight. The game does have its flaws but did have some enjoyable bits. I think it got a lot of criticism because of how poorly the previous UFO games were received.

Edit: I do know that the original X-com was called UFO: Enemy unknown. I just didn't want people to think that the X-com and UFO series are the same.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']UFO and X-com are different series. The UFO series is a spiritual successor to the x-com games.

I actually liked UFO: Afterlight. The game does have its flaws but did have some enjoyable bits. I think it got a lot of criticism because of how poorly the previous UFO games were received.

Edit: I do know that the original X-com was called UFO: Enemy unknown. I just didn't want people to think that the X-com and UFO series are the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for straightening Sultangaming out for me. You were more diplomatic than I would've been. I'm sure he appreciates it!

UFO: Afterlight $5.99 (40% off)
Jagged Alliance 2 $3.99 (60% off)

Next Round
Sacred Gold
vs
Divine Divinity :applause:

I cannot sing the praises of Divine Divinity enough. This is one of a few games (Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights) that I actually managed to beat on the PC. Most of the older RPGs are complicated and I have a hard time jumping into them (Baldur's Gate, Fallout), but this has the simple gameplay like Diablo combined with the storytelling of Planescape: Torment. It's accessible, fun for all skill levels, and I never saw the story twist coming.

If you have any interest in RPGs at all, do yourself a favor and pick up Divine Divinity.

[quote name='sultangaming']The first title was UFO: Enemy Unknown you dipshit. Then in the US it was re-named X-Com[/QUOTE]

No shit Sherlock. I never said anything about the title. I said it was a pale imitation of the original XCOM. In other words, and spelling it out for you since you obviously have no reading comprehension skills, it came out after, much later, actually, and it tried to be the spiritual successor to XCOM but did not live up to the hype. And yes, it was hyped as the next XCOM. I'm sure you were still in diapers at the time but I wasn't, it was indeed hyped up to be the new and improved XCOM, which for your information I have in the box on my shelf, and OH MY GOD, it's called UFO: Enemy Unknown! Now get the hell off my lawn, and next time facepalm your mother's crotch.

Back on topic, either selection today is great. I have both (again), but voted for DD.

Can you two go back to your shitty JRPGs and leave the rest of us to our deals? Even after two other users asked you not to shit up this thread, you did it anyway.

Both of the next round's games look like Diablo-ish games. Is that right? If so, I'd want Sacred Gold to get the bigger discount since it's $9.99 whereas Divinity is $5.99; if you want both games, the total would be $7.60 if Sacred wins and $8.40 if Divinity wins.

OP updated.

Thanks for the review on Divine Divinity, Bosamba! I was leaning towards that one as well since either GamersGate or GetGames (I forget which one) has had Sacred Gold on sale for $3 recently.

And please keep it civil, guys. I think we're all old enough to avoid the name-calling.

facepalm your mother's crotch

If we're going to slander each other, let's at least use insults that make sense.

I'm holding out hope Divine Divinity wins this sale; while I realize that the two combined would be cheaper if Sacred came out ahead (good thinking, whitereflection), I have Sacred Gold on disc thanks to Target clearance. Then again, I somewhat recently acquired Last Express on disc too and that didn't stop me from buying it from GOG.

I have JA2 Gold on disc also and don't feel like I need UFO, so another skip today. I'm feeling like I should be collecting adventures/RPGs through this sale, hopefully some good ones come out to play.

OP updated.

Not big on flight/combat sims myself. Looks like you're getting more bang for your buck with the Red Baron Pack since it comes with three titles, but it's also more expensive than The Mighty 8th (which looks like it might be some fun to a history buff since it has historically accurate missions).

Now to decide whether or not to pick up Divine Divinity...

[quote name='sunghost']i'm hoping anachronox makes it into the whole voting thing. Would love to grab that at 60% off.[/quote]

this!

Having fun with Arx Fatalis at the moment. I daresay it plays better than some newer Elder Scrolls titles.

Divine Divinity's setup file is 1.6 gigs! Surprising for such an old game of that style (pretty minimalist graphics compared to new stuff). Hopefully that means there will be a heck of a lot of content. ;)

Next round is Realm of Arkania 3 vs. Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator.

Really hope Septerra Core wins, I'd like to buy it at 60% off.

[quote name='sunghost']I'm hoping Anachronox makes it into the whole voting thing. Would love to grab that at 60% off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Eurogamer.net just recently ran a Retrospective on the game which piqued my interest.

OP updated.

Septerra Core definitely looks interesting. Something I'm incredibly surprised about with these older early nineties RPGs is the wonderfully done voice acting. Whereas only the most famous of consoles RPGs like Lunar had voice acting, these PC RPGs really were ahead of the times in that regard. I never played PC games as a young kid (besides some MUDs and whatnot; those are classic), so GOG is definitely schooling me in what I've been missing! Lets just say Divine Divinity has quickly gotten me addicted.

In any case, Septerra Core is blowing Arkania 3 out of the water. A $2.39 price point sounds awesome.

I voted for Septerra Core because the "most helpful" reviews for Realms of Arkania 3 say that it's a hardcore (very complex) RPG, which kinds of alienates me. I have to play Dragon Age: Origins on easy to give you a measure of my gaming (dis)ability.

Hey, Dragon Age is pretty difficult once you get further. Can't blame you for that (Arkania 3 doesn't appeal to me for generally the same reason).

In other news, OP updated. 60% off new Telltale games titles.

Here is hoping we see Operation Flashpoint (ArmA: Cold War Assault) go on a daily. Even though I already own the retail GOTY Edition (I could easily just download the install files directly from BIS and just use my old key), I really want to add the game to my GoG collection. Crap I think I have a problem.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Here is hoping we see Operation Flashpoint (ArmA: Cold War Assault) go on a daily. Even though I already own the retail GOTY Edition (I could easily just download the install files directly from BIS and just use my old key), I really want to add the game to my GoG collection. Crap I think I have a problem.[/QUOTE]
Well, GOG is awesome.

Just saying.

So what's the story with Syberia and The Longest Journey - looks like they're both point and click adventures, which I'm fond of assuming that they have a decent story, interesting and/or challenging puzzles and don't get repetitive or have a ton of filler (i.e. having to walk 20 miles back and forth just to do 1 stupid puzzle :whistle2:x). So has anybody played either of them and have any opinions? Thanks.

Bought Septerra Core, this is actually my first purchase on GOG.. all I've had before are the free games they've given out occasionally and The Witcher backup copy. Already have The Longest Journey + Dreamfall on Steam (I think I got it from the winter sale when the bundle was around $6).

[quote name='JanusDS']So what's the story with Syberia and The Longest Journey - looks like they're both point and click adventures, which I'm fond of assuming that they have a decent story, interesting and/or challenging puzzles and don't get repetitive or have a ton of filler (i.e. having to walk 20 miles back and forth just to do 1 stupid puzzle :whistle2:x). So has anybody played either of them and have any opinions? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

FYI that The Longest Journey was $2.49 last year on the Steam summer sale so you may want to wait for their sale this year as it may be sub 60% that GOG might offer.

So far Syberia has not dipped below $4.99 on Steam though.

[quote name='JanusDS']So what's the story with Syberia and The Longest Journey - looks like they're both point and click adventures, which I'm fond of assuming that they have a decent story, interesting and/or challenging puzzles and don't get repetitive or have a ton of filler (i.e. having to walk 20 miles back and forth just to do 1 stupid puzzle :whistle2:x). So has anybody played either of them and have any opinions? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The Longest Journey is one of my all time favorite point and click adventure games. The story is really good. There's a lot of dialogue, so be prepared to listen to a lot of banter. If that's a big turnoff, maybe you won't like it. I also have Syberia, but to be honest I haven't sunk much time into it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it didn't grab me like TLJ did.

bread's done
Back