GOG Deals Thread

[quote name='elessar123']I jog across the Sahara when I lurk CAG.[/QUOTE]

Mind the landmines! (Seriously, desert off the beaten path in North-West Egypt is unsafe due to landmines from WWII. There are still civilian causalities to this day from UXO there. Which is extra funny/sad since Rommel's forces were so under-supplied there that they were stealing landmines from enemy minefields to use in their own.) I suspect the same is true is parts of Libya.

I've heard some things about Septerra Core.

Avoid Dream Pinball 3D, to borrow my post from a month back...
[quote name='asheskitty']When I was looking at that it seemed unusually familiar... /facepalm

Okay, so I played one game on the Amber Moon table and one game on the Aquatic Table, and a couple balls on Spinning rotors. Uncollected thoughts...

No AA setting but it needs AA badly (haven't tried forcing it yet). It has a lot of eye candy.
I don't like any of the cameras (esp with AA & perspective issues), give me something more overhead.

Ball inertial is whacked. I think maybe the ball (I'm talking the metal one here, I didn't notice too much difference on the wood/marble in my limited time with them), is too light. Pinballs are (supposed to be) heavy.

Ball-Flipper interaction is terrible. True overall, but let me highlight this with a specific point. If you have a ball cradled and you quickly toggle the flipper (ball starts at rest near flipper pivot, and it hit again near pivot), it goes very unrealistically flying off.

There is an activation item on the main menu that brings up dialog box for serial activation, I'm guessing that's the TopWare DRM. (GOG version, so I guess they just disabled the DRM-checks, I did experience one crash while quitting that spewed forth some serialcheck somethingorother crashed.

Verdict: For $0.74 you won't be kicking yourself too hard. The Amazon version could have TopWare DRM. The pinball gameplay is middling due to crappy physics (or lack thereof). The eye Candy Visuals are marred by a lack of AA. Camera angles and FOV/perspective are mildly annoying. I'm sure there are better pinball games that you could be playing.

TL;DR It's the Bad Rats of pinball games. (I don't mean to start a CAGy: I play it cause it's bad thing.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']I've heard some things about Septerra Core.

Avoid Dream Pinball 3D, to borrow my post from a month back...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick to Pinball FX (or whatever the XBL game is called). Septerra Core looks interesting, but I'm not a huge RPG player. If anyone wants to comment on the complexity and ease of use, I'd be interested:)

[quote name='INCyr']Anyone with the full catalog interested/willing to gift a selection of games at cost?[/QUOTE]

In think that I read if you own all the games you can only purchase the ones you don't own at the scaled discounted price. Say if you bought the d&d pack at Xmas it didn't include never winter nights 2. You could buy that for 4, but everything else if you were to gift it would be 40% off unless you bought the collection.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']In think that I read if you own all the games you can only purchase the ones you don't own at the scaled discounted price. Say if you bought the d&d pack at Xmas it didn't include never winter nights 2. You could buy that for 4, but everything else if you were to gift it would be 40% off unless you bought the collection.[/QUOTE]

Doh. Back to deciding if I want to pick up all of them, or just some.

[quote name='INCyr']Doh. Back to deciding if I want to pick up all of them, or just some.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm getting them all, they may not be this cheap again.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']I think I'm getting them all, they may not be this cheap again.[/QUOTE]

Well, weren't they this cheap in a similar promotion around christmas?

And really, it appears that the question is whether to get NWN2, and whether I want to add Dragonshard, Temple & Demon Stone to my library for nothing. Usually I'd be all over getting more games for practically free, but these all looks bad enough that I know I'll never play them, and I'm not really sure it's worth even having them in my library.

[quote name='INCyr']Well, weren't they this cheap in a similar promotion around christmas?

And really, it appears that the question is whether to get NWN2, and whether I want to add Dragonshard, Temple & Demon Stone to my library for nothing. Usually I'd be all over getting more games for practically free, but these all looks bad enough that I know I'll never play them, and I'm not really sure it's worth even having them in my library.[/QUOTE]

We're they 80% off then too? I'm not really sure honestly. It's 2 buck a game....ill wait till I'm drunk tonight to decide

Hmmm, seems like a sweet deal on all these games. $21.10 for them.

Though I do recall some deals for this franchise before, I don't recall all the details of those deals.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hmmm, seems like a sweet deal on all these games. $21.10 for them.

Though I do recall some deals for this franchise before, I don't recall all the details of those deals.[/QUOTE]

By searching reddit I haven't found them this cheap before, cheapest was up to 75% off and it didn't include all these games. Namely never winter nights 2.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']By searching reddit I haven't found them this cheap before, cheapest was up to 75% off and it didn't include all these games. Namely never winter nights 2.[/QUOTE]

I think Impulse had them on sale for a slightly cheaper price but I don't think it included Demon Stone. Most people probably prefer GOG over Impulse anyway though.

[quote name='Jon7']I think Impulse had them on sale for a slightly cheaper price but I don't think it included Demon Stone. Most people probably prefer GOG over Impulse anyway though.[/QUOTE]

It was actually about half price. 11.24 but I don't believe it included dragonshard or demon stone

[quote name='Drabelincoln']I think I'm getting them all, they may not be this cheap again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Drabelincoln']By searching reddit I haven't found them this cheap before, cheapest was up to 75% off and it didn't include all these games. Namely never winter nights 2.[/QUOTE]

Damn you. Alright, picked them up. God only knows when I'll play them, but at least I have them now, and can try and find some time to play them eventually. I wonder how they'd run on my laptop? Gotta imagine pretty well, if it can handle DX:HR...

Right. GameStop/Impulse had this for $11.24, see this post, minus Dragonshard and Demon Stone. Unfortunately, Impulse has a funky downloader and you can't back up your install files in a normal way.

GG has had Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection - for ~$7 (Feb 2012) then glitched to $5 at xmas, normal sale was $10 at xmas. Also was on Gamestop for $5.
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions
Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions
Planescape: Torment
The Temple of Elemental Evil

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']So realistically, how many 100s of hours would one be adding if these joined the backlog?[/QUOTE]

Does it really even matter :)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']So realistically, how many 100s of hours would one be adding if these joined the backlog?[/QUOTE]

3-4, maybe 5 if you're really methodical; I have pretty much all of these and have played all except Dragonshard and TOEE (all of these are box copies; actually just sold Dragonshard to a Half-Price Books in Houston when we took a road trip over there a couple of weeks ago). I played a bit of Dragonshard but as cool as it sounds the mechanics weren't really easy to get into (a bit like Lords of Everquest). I played a bit of TOEE but it was kind-of a buggy mess, so I didn't get far with that one, but I'm curious about trying it again with the Circle of 8 mod.

Have them all on GoG already with the exception of NWN2. I did buy NWN2 on Direct2Drive but that's one of the games still missing from Gamefly after they bought them out. I guess I might as well pick up the GoG version so I have it DRM free.

[quote name='jthieme']Have them all on GoG already with the exception of NWN2. I did buy NWN2 on Direct2Drive but that's one of the games still missing from Gamefly after they bought them out. I guess I might as well pick up the GoG version so I have it DRM free.[/QUOTE]

Did the same here as well.

It was $21.41 for the holiday sale (75% off), for everything but NWN2.

gog_zps60455d3d.png

[quote name='TheHelp']Did the same here as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jthieme']Have them all on GoG already with the exception of NWN2. I did buy NWN2 on Direct2Drive but that's one of the games still missing from Gamefly after they bought them out. I guess I might as well pick up the GoG version so I have it DRM free.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Same.
Shame upon you Gamefly.

[quote name='stupidproz1']I havn't played any of these games and it looks like I really should. How do these games hold up?[/QUOTE]

Most of them hold up well, especially modded. Nice thing about IE games is that graphically they still look great (with hi res fix) since the backgrounds are hand drawn. I'd skip NVN 1 (super ugly now), Demonstone and Dragonshard..

I know it's a mixed bag but I have nothing but love for ToEE. The game is amazing, still play it every once in a while.

Completely disagree. NWN 1 holds up very well graphically. The textures are surprising high resolution and quality and the GOG version supports 1920x1080 res without any haggling with mods and tweaks.

The character models don't look amazing though, and the strange fusion between turn-based and real-time combat feels sort of clunky, but like I said, NWN 1 holds up pretty well.

No kidding though, Baldur's Gate 2 just annoyed me. Within the first 5 minutes, a handful of characters are shoved into your face and into your party, and half of them have the most annoying dialogue I've ever heard. Expected so much, didn't enjoy what I played of it at all.

And of course, Planescape Torment is as amazing as everyone says it is. If you haven't played it, get on that.

[quote name='asheskitty']Right. GameStop/Impulse had this for $11.24, see this post, minus Dragonshard and Demon Stone. Unfortunately, Impulse has a funky downloader and you can't back up your install files in a normal way.[/quote]
Well, you need to use the Archiver option on GameStop PC App/Impulse...
....but you need to make a version of the "Archived game" for each different OS you decide to put the game on!
WTH?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Completely disagree. NWN 1 holds up very well graphically. The textures are surprising high resolution and quality and the GOG version supports 1920x1080 res without any haggling with mods and tweaks.

The character models don't look amazing though, and the strange fusion between turn-based and real-time combat feels sort of clunky, but like I said, NWN 1 holds up pretty well.

No kidding though, Baldur's Gate 2 just annoyed me. Within the first 5 minutes, a handful of characters are shoved into your face and into your party, and half of them have the most annoying dialogue I've ever heard. Expected so much, didn't enjoy what I played of it at all.

And of course, Planescape Torment is as amazing as everyone says it is. If you haven't played it, get on that.[/QUOTE]

To each his own. The thing I remember most about NVN 1 is that the online persistent worlds were amazing. Still have fond memories of Neversummer and Abyss 404. Single player wise Hordes of the Underdark was great rest was kind of... eh? I assume the online stuff is completely gone now though for the most part.

[quote name='confuseousprime']To each his own. The thing I remember most about NVN 1 is that the online persistent worlds were amazing. Still have fond memories of Neversummer and Abyss 404. Single player wise Hordes of the Underdark was great rest was kind of... eh? I assume the online stuff is completely gone now though for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Hordes was great - agreed.

[quote name='Idiotekque']

And of course, Planescape Torment is as amazing as everyone says it is. If you haven't played it, get on that.[/QUOTE]
I loved both BG2 and PST.
Those are some of the best RPG's ever made, IMHO.

[quote name='MysterD']I loved both BG2 and PST.
Those are some of the best RPG's ever made, IMHO.[/QUOTE]
I just wish the story grabbed me even the slightest bit. It felt dated (naturally), it threw you into full party battles too quickly (where you're managing like five party members at once), and everything was so damn vague and driven mainly by obnoxious dialogue. I absolutely loved the writing in PST from the very beginning, while the writing in BG2 just felt flat and cliche to me immediately. Did they have the same writers? Because it didn't seem like it at all.

I'm sure I should have played BG1 first, but that's a lot of time to devote to making the second game's story "work", and from what I heard across the board is that BG2 is pretty much the better game and the better place to start.

I dunno, maybe I'll give it another chance one of these days. It's still installed I think.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I absolutely loved the writing in PST from the very beginning, while the writing in BG2 just felt flat and cliche to me immediately. Did they have the same writers? Because it didn't seem like it at all..[/QUOTE]
No.
BioWare developed BG2; while Black Isle developed PST.

[quote name='MysterD']No.
BioWare developed BG2; while Black Isle developed PST.[/QUOTE]
Weird, since I'm usually all over Bioware's writing. Guess personal taste just turned me off the writing style and dialogue.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Weird, since I'm usually all over Bioware's writing. Guess personal taste just turned me off the writing style and dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Colin McComb and Chris Avellone were involved w/ PST's writing.
And of course, those two are involved w/ the upcoming Torment: Tides.

EDIT 1:
BioWare's actual writing from BG2 was much improved from BG1, if you ask me.
And TOB is one of the best expansions I've ever played - PERIOD.

IMHO, not much in the gaming-world can honestly really compete w/ PST's writing, dialogue, and ESPECIALLY its prose.

EDIT 2:
[quote name='Idiotekque']
I'm sure I should have played BG1 first, but that's a lot of time to devote to making the second game's story "work", and from what I heard across the board is that BG2 is pretty much the better game and the better place to start.

I dunno, maybe I'll give it another chance one of these days. It's still installed I think.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you should've started w/ BG1.
This way, you could've and would've been prepared for the tough strategic-style of battles BG series is known to throw at you that pretty much BG2 decides to toss at you from start, as it's expected you already played the original BG.
Also, you would've had a better understanding of the characters BG2 is having you deal w/ (many of them were in BG1) in the brutal opening level and how evil Jon Irenicus really is.
If you leveled-up enough in BG1, you really should import that character into BG2.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confuseousprime']Most of them hold up well, especially modded. Nice thing about IE games is that graphically they still look great (with hi res fix) since the backgrounds are hand drawn. I'd skip NVN 1 (super ugly now), Demonstone and Dragonshard..

I know it's a mixed bag but I have nothing but love for ToEE. The game is amazing, still play it every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Idiotekque']Completely disagree. NWN 1 holds up very well graphically. The textures are surprising high resolution and quality and the GOG version supports 1920x1080 res without any haggling with mods and tweaks.

Hmm thanks for the input guys. Think I may start with Planescape. Especially since I backed the recent Kickstarter one.

[quote name='confuseousprime']Most of them hold up well, especially modded. Nice thing about IE games is that graphically they still look great (with hi res fix) since the backgrounds are hand drawn. I'd skip NVN 1 (super ugly now), Demonstone and Dragonshard..

I know it's a mixed bag but I have nothing but love for ToEE. The game is amazing, still play it every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Agree - especially if you loved the gold box games but want better graphics and mechanics from the 3rd edition, you should definitely give ToEE a try. It's not as polished or engrossing as the Bioware/Obsidian games, but sometimes it's nice to play a true turn based RPG. I kind of wish it was a Forgotten Realms setting instead of Greyhawk, but I guess it would have been a pain to mess with the original pen and paper adventure.

[quote name='MysterD']Colin McComb and Chris Avellone were involved w/ PST's writing.
And of course, those two are involved w/ the upcoming Torment: Tides.

EDIT 1:
BioWare's actual writing from BG2 was much improved from BG1, if you ask me.
And TOB is one of the best expansions I've ever played - PERIOD.

IMHO, not much in the gaming-world can honestly really compete w/ PST's writing, dialogue, and ESPECIALLY its prose.

EDIT 2:

Yes, you should've started w/ BG1.
This way, you could've and would've been prepared for the tough strategic-style of battles BG series is known to throw at you that pretty much BG2 decides to toss at you from start, as it's expected you already played the original BG.
Also, you would've had a better understanding of the characters BG2 is having you deal w/ (many of them were in BG1) in the brutal opening level and how evil Jon Irenicus really is.
If you leveled-up enough in BG1, you really should import that character into BG2.[/QUOTE]
Well, I didn't have a problem with the difficulty level (I think I had it on hardcore, the second to top one?), it was really just the writing/characters/dialogue that turned me off, not to mention I prefer for a game to ease you into the gameplay a bit, as opposed to you needing to play through a 20 hour+ game before it to have the hang of things.

Really though, I'm not sure I'd want to play through two whole games with those characters and their dialogue (and voices...).

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']Agree - especially if you loved the gold box games but want better graphics and mechanics from the 3rd edition, you should definitely give ToEE a try. It's not as polished or engrossing as the Bioware/Obsidian games, but sometimes it's nice to play a true turn based RPG. I kind of wish it was a Forgotten Realms setting instead of Greyhawk, but I guess it would have been a pain to mess with the original pen and paper adventure.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but I've had TOEE from Retail for quite some time...
...and NEVER really touched it for long.

Some other game always came along and got in my way.

Thanks for posting about this deal - picked up NWN2 since that was the only one I was missing. Don't know when I'll ever find the time to play them - I need to figure out how to play these at work. Or win the lottery.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well, I didn't have a problem with the difficulty level (I think I had it on hardcore, the second to top one?), it was really just the writing/characters/dialogue that turned me off, not to mention I prefer for a game to ease you into the gameplay a bit, as opposed to you needing to play through a 20 hour+ game before it to have the hang of things.

Really though, I'm not sure I'd want to play through two whole games with those characters and their dialogue (and voices...).[/QUOTE]

I think BG1 does a better job of easing players in w/ story, setting, characters, gameplay, and all of that stuff.
You really do need to go through all of that, before even jumping into BG2.

BG2 pretty much throws you right into the fray and madness, from the jump - starting you at either level 7 to 8 (that depends on your class, if you decide to pick a new character to start BG2 off); or w/ your imported character from BG1.
IMHO - starting w/ BG2 is a BIG mistake.

EDIT:
[quote name='simmias']Thanks for posting about this deal - picked up NWN2 since that was the only one I was missing. Don't know when I'll ever find the time to play them - I need to figure out how to play these at work. Or win the lottery.[/QUOTE]
If you loved Planescape: Torment, you'll love NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer expansion. :D

EDIT 2:
[quote name='PsiScream']That's quite a backlog MysterD![/QUOTE]
TOEE isn't the only game that's been pushed aside numerous times b/c I bought something else or decided to go onto something else.
I must have a backlog of over 200 games or so. I'd have to actually look into it (and a part of me actually does want to), but a part of me would probably rather not. ;)
It would be rather time-consuming to figure out what I have never downloaded (from digital store); never installed (from retail disc); never ever played; started but never finished; or what-have-you.

[quote name='MysterD']I think BG1 does a better job of easing players in w/ story, setting, characters, gameplay, and all of that stuff.
You really do need to go through all of that, before even jumping into BG2.

BG2 pretty much throws you right into the fray and madness, from the jump - starting you at either level 7 to 8 (that depends on your class, if you decide to pick a new character to start BG2 off); or w/ your imported character from BG1.
IMHO - starting w/ BG2 is a BIG mistake.

EDIT:

If you loved Planescape: Torment, you'll love NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer expansion. :D[/QUOTE]
Yeah, BG2 was the only one I bought since people seemed to say it was the better game. Seems like BG1 takes at least 50 hours to beat, so... yeah, sorry Baldur's Gate, but I don't think we were meant for each other.

I loved BG 1 and PST. I really enjoyed BG2, and the Icewind Dale games. PST clearly has a great story, and the rest are good to excellent, but I would recommend playing all of them in chronological order (more or less). NWN and NWN2 have a lot more freedom in terms of races, classes and skills (especially if you get a mod like Kaedrin PRC for NWN2) and it can be kind of frustrating that you can't (for example) play an elf paladin in BG 2 (well, you can use a save game editor, but you know what I mean).

I'm also a big fan of creating a custom character... along with a custom history. In NWN I could do that, while in BG2 I still did, but as soon as the game started it was like "Yeah, the background I wrote for this character means nothing, I'm playing a cement storyline."

Nothing wrong with that I guess, just something that disappointed me. I like a little more creative roleplaying freedom.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, BG2 was the only one I bought since people seemed to say it was the better game. Seems like BG1 takes at least 50 hours to beat, so... yeah, sorry Baldur's Gate, but I don't think we were meant for each other.[/QUOTE]
Yes, BG1 is a long epic.
You really do need time, if you're going to sink your life into BG1; BG2; and BG2: TOB.

If you loved Dragon Age: Origins (and its strategic-style of gameplay), I would HIGHLY suggest you should reconsider and do go after BG1...

Even though DAO uses more of a dark-fantasy setting (in 3D), while BG feels more traditional fantasy (in 2D) - these games in the combat factor are similar (i.e. strategic RPG game w/ full-control over your party).

EDIT:
[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I loved BG 1 and PST. I really enjoyed BG2, and the Icewind Dale games. PST clearly has a great story, and the rest are good to excellent, but I would recommend playing all of them in chronological order (more or less). NWN and NWN2 have a lot more freedom in terms of races, classes and skills (especially if you get a mod like Kaedrin PRC for NWN2) and it can be kind of frustrating that you can't (for example) play an elf paladin in BG 2 (well, you can use a save game editor, but you know what I mean).[/QUOTE]
Besides TOEE, Icewind Dale (IwD) is another game that got pushed aside NUMEROUS times...for whatever reason.
And I really liked IwD, as well.
Hell, I never even tried IwD2.

And yes - I do own the entire IWD series (on discs from Retail).

[quote name='MysterD']Yes, BG1 is a long epic.
You really do need time, if you're going to sink your life into BG1; BG2; and BG2: TOB.

If you loved Dragon Age: Origins (and its strategic-style of gameplay), I would HIGHLY suggest you should reconsider and do go after BG1...

Even though DAO uses more of a dark-fantasy setting (in 3D), while BG feels more traditional fantasy (in 2D) - these games in the combat factor are similar (i.e. strategic RPG game w/ full-control over your party).[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I kind of prefer the lone wolf approach. I'm not the kind of person who takes companions with me in Fallout or Elder Scrolls, basically.

I don't mind party based games, but usually if it isn't turn based, it annoys me somewhat. There are few exceptions to this, like FFXII and Dragon Age Origins. I love Dragon Age Origins, but I've never finished it. Why? Because managing a party every battle becomes tedious in the back end of the game. I get tired of managing a bunch of party members to kill mob after mob after mob.

But it sounds like I hate party based RPGs after saying that, when I don't really. That style of combat just gets boring and tiring sometimes. DAO's world, lore, writing coupled with high customization and choices is what makes it a favorite of mine, while the combat was good but isn't a reason why I like it, per se.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, BG2 was the only one I bought since people seemed to say it was the better game. Seems like BG1 takes at least 50 hours to beat, so... yeah, sorry Baldur's Gate, but I don't think we were meant for each other.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to sound like the old guy that I am - I think Baldur's Gate is a great game, but it was so much more amazing at the time it came out. There was kind of a lull in decent RPG's after the last of the gold box games came out (and honestly Dark Queen of Krynn and Pools of Darkness were not as amazing for their time as Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn were). I guess there was Wizardry 7 and the Might and Magic games, but even Wizardry 8 and the later M &Ms (7-9) didn't really represent true innovations in the way that BG1 did.

I still love it and think it is worth playing, but I wouldn't play it instead of the modern RPG's (only if I were tired of them).

bread's done
Back