GOG Deals Thread

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I'm going to sound like the old guy that I am - I think Baldur's Gate is a great game, but it was so much more amazing at the time it came out. There was kind of a lull in decent RPG's after the last of the gold box games came out (and honestly Dark Queen of Krynn and Pools of Darkness were not as amazing for their time as Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn were). I guess there was Wizardry 7 and the Might and Magic games, but even Wizardry 8 and the later M &Ms (7-9) didn't really represent true innovations in the way that BG1 did.

I still love it and think it is worth playing, but I wouldn't play it instead of the modern RPG's (only if I were tired of them).[/QUOTE]
I get what you're saying. I'm not really turned off by aged graphics in RPGs (Avernum 4 was awesome, from what I played of it), but games like The Witcher 1/2 and The Last Remnant are definitely a bit higher in my backlog than BG2, at this point.

[quote name='MysterD']

Besides TOEE, Icewind Dale (IwD) is another game that got pushed aside NUMEROUS times...for whatever reason.
And I really liked IwD, as well.
Hell, I never even tried IwD2.

And yes - I do own the entire IWD series (on discs from Retail).[/QUOTE]

I like building a whole party, so I really enjoyed IWD. Unfortunately I had a bug that corrupted my save game about 80% of the way through and I never went back and restarted it. Maybe this will spur me to do it.

My humble opinion is that D&D 3.5 represents the pinnacle of a RPG system. If you like that style too, it's definitely worth spending sometime with IWD2.

However, I don't have much experience with D&D 4th edition, it seems like it has potential. I'd love to see something like a NWN 3 using 4th edition rules.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Honestly, I kind of prefer the lone wolf approach. I'm not the kind of person who takes companions with me in Fallout or Elder Scrolls, basically.[/quote]

I love Dragon Age Origins, but I've never finished it. Why?
Because managing a party every battle becomes tedious in the back end of the game. I get tired of managing a bunch of party members to kill mob after mob after mob.

But it sounds like I hate party based RPGs after saying that, when I don't really. That style of combat just gets boring and tiring sometimes. DAO's world, lore, writing coupled with high customization and choices is what makes it a favorite of mine, while the combat was good but isn't a reason why I like it, per se.
All the bolded stuff tells me DAO + BG series probably just aren't your cup of tea.

These games are so about the strategic combat - and you controlling everything. Especially since the AI ain't anything special.

If you aren't into real-time games that require you to pause the game on your own very often when you see fit; and are not into strategically planning/making your moves...
....then DAO + BG series are games you should stay clear of.

[quote name='MysterD']All the bolded stuff tells me DAO + BG series probably just aren't your cup of tea.

These games are so about the strategic combat - and you controlling everything. Especially since the AI ain't anything special.

If you aren't into real-time games that require you to pause the game on your own very often when you see fit; and are not into strategically planning/making your moves...
....then DAO + BG series are games you should stay clear of.[/QUOTE]
I still enjoy them, like I said, but the writing has to grab me (and the dialogue and voiceovers shouldn't annoy me). Story, I'd say, is the most important aspect of an RPG anyways. Party based combat just has a habit of getting rather repetitive (especially when a certain strategy works better than others), for example, the furthest I got into DAO, every battle pretty much consisted of Morrigan hitting the field with ice cone over and over while everyone else cleaned up.

When a combat style gets repetitive (not that it's bad), the story needs to pull you through and make you want to keep playing. After an hour or so of BG2, I felt like I was forcing myself to play it.

But hey, if someone gives me BG1, maybe I'll give it all another chance. :lol:

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I'm going to sound like the old guy that I am - I think Baldur's Gate is a great game, but it was so much more amazing at the time it came out. There was kind of a lull in decent RPG's after the last of the gold box games came out (and honestly Dark Queen of Krynn and Pools of Darkness were not as amazing for their time as Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn were). I guess there was Wizardry 7 and the Might and Magic games, but even Wizardry 8 and the later M &Ms (7-9) didn't really represent true innovations in the way that BG1 did.

I still love it and think it is worth playing, but I wouldn't play it instead of the modern RPG's (only if I were tired of them).[/QUOTE]

I'm at the point where there's too many "one man show" RPG's on the market. It felt like Morrowind was the start of this becoming more common-place. Nowadays, there's so many RPG's where you are controlling one character, it ain't even funny.

In the (not that) old days, we had the reverse. So many RPG's doing the "party-based" thing - BG1; BG2; PST; NWN: Hordes; IWD series. We have had a few Indies and Drakensang do this, in (somewhat) recent years - but, it ain't nowhere as common-place as in the Infinity Engine days and Aurora Engine days.

I would love to see more party-based RPG's come out of the woodworks - and I am glad to see Torment: Tides; Project Eternity; Shadowrun Returns; and Wasteland 2 plan to try to fill that void.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I still enjoy them, like I said, but the writing has to grab me (and the dialogue and voiceovers shouldn't annoy me). Story, I'd say, is the most important aspect of an RPG anyways. Party based combat just has a habit of getting rather repetitive (especially when a certain strategy works better than others), for example, the furthest I got into DAO, every battle pretty much consisted of Morrigan hitting the field with ice cone over and over while everyone else cleaned up.

When a combat style gets repetitive (not that it's bad), the story needs to pull you through and make you want to keep playing. After an hour or so of BG2, I felt like I was forcing myself to play it.

But hey, if someone gives me BG1, maybe I'll give it all another chance. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I was never annoyed by BG series' voice-acting or characters. BG2 was a much more traditional style RPG, in terms of characters, setting, and whatnot. It's definitely no Planescape: Torment, in that regard. Then again, not many are in PST's league, in that regard.
But for combat - I'll take BG series ANY DAY over PST. It's no contest there. PST's combat and character classes just are not in BG's league.

Torment was much more interesting & unique, in terms of setting; characters; story; actual prose itself; and number of choices/decisions it let the player make.

EDIT:
IMHO - both PST and BG series are great RPG's, for much different reasons.

I know in the past people on this thread have helped others get a few games from these bundles at their cheaper price (because they had, of course, already bout several in this bundle). I know this because of the fact that that's how I was able to get BG 1, 2 & NWN 1. :D This time I am looking to get Icewind Dale 1 & 2, and NWN 2, so if I anyone can help me out that'd be fantastic. I can do PayPal, and I think I also might have few leftover keys from GG Bethesda Bundle, if that interests ya any - just send me a PM. Thanks!

I thought if you already own something it takes it off of the bundle and then lowers the discount on the remaining games? I think they might have wised up to the old tricks.

I owned nothing from that bundle, so I just bought the whole pack. After I did, I went back to check & see if I could buy individual games from the pack to help out other CAGs. But I'm only given the option to gift the entire pack. Not sure how that would work for people who already own a game or two from the pack. If you gifted the pack to them, would they end up with giftable copies of the extra games? Or would those games just be lost?

[quote name='The End']I owned nothing from that bundle, so I just bought the whole pack. After I did, I went back to check & see if I could buy individual games from the pack to help out other CAGs. But I'm only given the option to gift the entire pack. Not sure how that would work for people who already own a game or two from the pack. If you gifted the pack to them, would they end up with giftable copies of the extra games? Or would those games just be lost?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that once you own the entire pack, you can make individual purchases or combine them however you want. Just mark which game(s) you want on a purchase and the 80% should be reflected.

[quote name='inm8num2']Pretty sure that once you own the entire pack, you can make individual purchases or combine them however you want. Just mark which game(s) you want on a purchase and the 80% should be reflected.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case with this promo. Here is what it looks like for me:
gogddpack.jpg

The only option I have is to click on the "Gift Entire Pack" button at the bottom left corner of that image. I'm not sure if this is just for this promo, or if this is how they're handling it from now on. But fox might be right. This might be them fixing a loophole that has been exploited by us in the past.

They should each be $1.99 to begin with 365 days/year. I know some of these gog games were good in their day, but trying to charge $10 each for games from two decades ago, they should be ashamed of themselves. The developers got paid years ago, time to charge smartphone or bargain bin prices for what are essentially now smartphone quality games. Better yet, allow fans of these museum pieces to host the files for free.

Re: how to extend the 80% off discount for an individual title if purchaser already owns the whole lot.

Just navigate to each individual game page, click gift this to a friend under the purchase button, and you should see the price shift to the promo one inside your cart. From there, just have the person who only wants some of the games pay via Paypal/Amazon, etc. and you can then send to their email in the purchase options/checkout.

I own all of the games now, so if a couple of you want the 80% help feel free to PM me.

I had all of the games besides NWN2 and I was able to get it for $3.99. I don't think I did any trick to get that price, it was just there on the right hand side below the ticker.

btw I am still waiting for them to get the Gold Box Series.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I'd love to get NWN2 myself, but I'm not sure that works on this one. I got help from someone last time as well.[/QUOTE]

NWN2
I guess the problem for me is - I own a fair amount of the D&D games from Retail already, hehe.

NWN2 (base game) is pretty good - it feels like a classic party-based traditional style RPG like BG series, since we have full party control here;
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer expansion is great...and similar to PST;
and NWN2: Storm of Zehir expansion is good...and reminds me a bit of IwD 1.

What I'm Missing
For BG1 - I'm only missing Tales of the Sword Coast.

For NWN1 -> I'm missing Kingmaker premium mod compilation pack (contains Witch's Wake Remastered, ShadowGuard, and Kingmaker);
and I am missing many of the NWN Modules (Pirates of the Sword Coast, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, and Infinite Dungeons) that came out after the above said compilation pack.

For NWN2 -> I never played Mysteries of Westgate, so if I do need to eventually get NWN2: Complete, I need it when it's dirt cheap.

Oh, I'm also missing Dragonshard and Demon Stone.

Hrm, slightly frustrated that it appears you can gift individual games at cost when I had asked about that previously and was told that it wasn't possible this time. Ah well what's done is done, and I own them all now so I'm also happy to gift individual games if people want, although I'm not sure how much I'll be around this weekend.

[quote name='The End']Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case with this promo. Here is what it looks like for me:
gogddpack.jpg

The only option I have is to click on the "Gift Entire Pack" button at the bottom left corner of that image. I'm not sure if this is just for this promo, or if this is how they're handling it from now on. But fox might be right. This might be them fixing a loophole that has been exploited by us in the past.[/QUOTE]

My mistake. I think you actually have to go to the game's main page, and the 80% off should be reflected there. If not, hmmm.... People have definitely been buying individual games at 80% off because of owning all of them.

[quote name='inm8num2']My mistake. I think you actually have to go to the game's main page, and the 80% off should be reflected there. If not, hmmm.... People have definitely been buying individual games at 80% off because of owning all of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you've gotta go to the game's page to do it.

[quote name='inm8num2']My mistake. I think you actually have to go to the game's main page, and the 80% off should be reflected there. If not, hmmm.... People have definitely been buying individual games at 80% off because of owning all of them.[/QUOTE]

You have to go to the individual page for the game. It will say you already own it and will only give you the option to gift it. The gift price will show the price with just 40% off, but it will be added to your cart at the 80% off price.

This D&D deal is good enough to get my first GOG purchase. After downloading them yesterday, that is 23GB of games and content for $20. Not sure what to try first though the Baldurs Gate games were something I had meant to play at some point.

[quote name='crimsonassassin']This D&D deal is good enough to get my first GOG purchase. After downloading them yesterday, that is 23GB of games and content for $20. Not sure what to try first though the Baldurs Gate games were something I had meant to play at some point.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend that you did the engine swap mod, it upgrades the first game to the BG2 version of the infinity engine. It takes some time, but it definitely takes the edge off the fact that the game is 14 years old.

[quote name='TheThoughtlessOne']I'd recommend that you did the engine swap mod, it upgrades the first game to the BG2 version of the infinity engine. It takes some time, but it definitely takes the edge off the fact that the game is 14 years old.[/QUOTE]
This one good?

http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']All their sales should be 80% off. I'd buy alot more.[/QUOTE]

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html?m=1

GOG is DRM free, and has its own game library for what you buy, as well as an optional downloader you can install that gives pretty damn good speeds. GOG games also almost always come with extras (OSTs, art books, manuals, reference cards, etc).

But no, no Steam keys.

[quote name='Idiotekque']This one good?

http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/[/QUOTE]

That's the one I always use. There's another one some people like called Baldur's Gate Trilogy. Either choice is better than trying to play the first Baldur's Gate game as is. Just be aware that both of the mods require you to have both Baldur's Gate games.

[quote name='KillingMachine']That's the one I always use. There's another one some people like called Baldur's Gate Trilogy. Either choice is better than trying to play the first Baldur's Gate game as is. Just be aware that both of the mods require you to have both Baldur's Gate games.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I just downloaded BGT. I do have both games, so I think I'm gonna try that since it links them together and works with all the expansions and whatnot. Seems to be the vastly more popular choice.

Egads. I bought the two collection packs for about $14 on GG last winter (with the IGN Prime discount), and I still want to buy them all on GOG with this kind of deal. But I will show restraint!

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Egads. I bought the two collection packs for about $14 on GG last winter (with the IGN Prime discount), and I still want to buy them all on GOG with this kind of deal. But I will show restraint![/QUOTE]

I didn't grab them on GG, and know that they will be cheaper there at some point. GOG might be a better place to get them from, however, and the extra cost may be worth it.

Hey, if anybody wants me to gift them stuff from this weekend's promo, shoot me a PM. I have everything except these: Fallout Tactics, Freespace 2, Descent 1 + 2, Sacrifice, Earthworm Jim 1 + 2, MDK 1, MDK 2, Shogo, Kingpin, and Screamer 2.

warreni said:
Hey, if anybody wants me to gift them stuff from this weekend's promo, shoot me a PM. I have everything except these: Fallout Tactics, Freespace 2, Descent 1 + 2, Sacrifice, Earthworm Jim 1 + 2, MDK 1, MDK 2, Shogo, Kingpin, and Screamer 2.

Very generous of you to offer, but it doesn't appear that you need to buy any specific amount of games to get the 50% discount. I just picked up Giants: Citizen Kabuto & Evolva and I got the 50% discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']Very generous of you to offer, but it doesn't appear that you need to buy any specific amount of games to get the 50% discount. I just picked up Giants: Citizen Kabuto & Evolva and I got the 50% discount.[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay. Chalk it up to reading the site too early in the morning! ;)

Wasn't it also in an Indie Gala Store bundle, but only the first chunk of purchasers got it because they ran out of keys or something? Or was that The Whispered World?

I think that's the cheapest it's been.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Wasn't it also in an Indie Gala Store bundle, but only the first chunk of purchasers got it because they ran out of keys or something? Or was that The Whispered World?

I think that's the cheapest it's been.[/QUOTE]

It was the whispered world...bundlestars

Gala also had it in one of their bundles as well, not a gala but one of those gala store bundles.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']It was the whispered world...bundlestars

Gala also had it in one of their bundles as well, not a gala but one of those gala store bundles.[/QUOTE]
I know of the Bundlestars one, I was talking about Indie Gala Store. They had a similar situation where they ran out of keys on it. Was it Whispered World or Book of Unwritten Tales?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I know of the Bundlestars one, I was talking about Indie Gala Store. They had a similar situation where they ran out of keys on it. Was it Whispered World or Book of Unwritten Tales?[/QUOTE]

pretty sure it was whispered world, i could be wrong though

bread's done
Back