GOG Spring Promo - 30-50% off 10 'Top Games'

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

Until Tuesday, April 6 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, get any of 10 Good Old Games for 30-50% off.

This isn't a bundle promo, so get one or grab them all. (Why not?)

GOG's 2010 Spring Promo

Beyond Good and Evil $6.99 (30% off)
Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete $6.99 (30% off) [includes HOMM3, Armageddon's Blade, and Shadow of Death]
Disciples 2: Gold Edition $4.99 (50% off) [includes Disciples 2, Guardians of the Light, Servants of the Dark, and Rise of the Elves]
Divine Divinity $2.99 (50% off)
Evil Genius $4.99 (50% off)
Fallout $2.99 (50% off)
Gothic II: Gold Edition $4.99 (50% off) [includes Gothic II and Night of the Raven]
Myst: Masterpiece Edition $2.99(50% off)
Red Baron Pack $4.99 (50% off) [includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D]
Simon the Sorcerer $2.99 (50% off)

[Orders should be made from the promo page - game links are for informational purposes]

Metacritic
:
Beyond Good & Evil (83)
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy (84)
Disciples II: Guardian's of the Light (72)
Disciples II: Servants of the Dark (65)
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves (80)
Divine Divinity (81)
Evil Genius (75)
Fallout (89)
Gothic II (79)

Mobygames:
Heroes of Might & Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia (89)
Heroes of Might & Magic III: Armageddon's Blade (82)
Heroes of Might & Magic III: The Shadow of Death (78)
Gothic II: Night of the Raven (86)
Myst (88)
Red Baron (3.9/5)
Red Baron: Mission Builder (4.5/5)
Red Baron 3D (82)
Simon the Sorcerer (83)

Demos:
Beyond Good & Evil
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Disciples II Empire Campaign & Undead Campaign
Divine Divinity
Evil Genius
Fallout (unique map)
Gothic II
Red Baron 3D

No demo, but here's some footage from Simon the Sorcerer (and download the enhanced music while you're at it).
And as for Myst...well...if you don't know what it is - just buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heroes of Might and Magic III is one of the best games ever made - better than any of its many sequels. To add to that, it's awesome and addicting. Worth a try for just about everyone.

[quote name='The Nephilim']Wow I just tried a Gothic II demo and man do I hate the way this controls...
Not sure if you can configure resolutions and stuff in the full game, but they certainly aren't impressing me with these awful graphics.[/QUOTE]

-Have you tried disabling the 'Classic Control Scheme' in the options? See which is more to your liking.

-Gothic II supports widescreen resolutions, but requires changing an.ini file. Then bump up AA and AF and you're good to go.

-For those with the full game, you can try the IronKeep Community Patch which fixes remaining bugs/quirks. Only install the balancing portion of the patch (the installer gives you an choice) if you want tougher monsters & higher stats
Alternative Balancing:

We have added an optional alternative balancing system for NOTR. With the Alternative Balancing System installed, Monsters are tougher, but LP costs have been rebalanced, stat limits are increased, new Weapons and Items added, and other new features have been implemented. As such, this is essentially the sequel to the earlier Heights of Power mod, previously published by Korianous. A full compiled list of Alternative Balancing content is located in the changelog.
You can also try the same group's Heights of Power content patch.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']...I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the earlier Fallouts, can anybody recommend some good mods for it? Also, will those mods work with the modified GoG version?[/QUOTE]

-You can try the Fallout 1 section of Vault-Tec Labs including the Fallout Update/Restoration mods which restores some of the cut content. Sorry, I haven't tried any of these with the GOG versions yet. (A new version of the Fallout 2 Restoration and patch was just released, FWIW.

Also, if you want to avoid the International Transaction fee, try using Paypal. When using my debit card on these transactions, I also get charged the fee. When paying via Paypal with the same card, no fee is applied.

[quote name='animalspinners']For $3, hell even $6, you really can't go wrong with Simon the Sorceror. It's a decent adventure game, and well worth the (tiny) price.

Every game on this list is a PC classic, and at $3 - $5 every game on here is a good choice.[/QUOTE]

You're right. Thanks for the input.

I ended up picking up Myst, Simon the Sorcerer, and Divine Divinity (the third based solely on recommendations made here).

[quote name='The Nephilim']The PC version can have some weird graphics issues and stuff. From what I've heard the console versions are better.

So how is Gothic 2? Is that one of the ones that have no mouse support and only weird awkward KB controls?[/QUOTE]

you are right about Beyond Good and Evil on PC... the issue is even more obvious when you run on x64 system (even with the supposedly updated GOG version)

Very nicely laid out post OP, thanks.
I'm considering Simon the Sorcerer and possibly Fallout. I don't know when I'd get around to play Fallout though so I'm more interested in the extras right now, particularly the soundtracks. Can someone who already owns it on GOG provide a breakdown of how many tunes there are, format and bitrate and such? I read somewhere the "in-game" soundtrack and the original soundtrack are basically the same, except the in-game one is lower quality ripped from the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
in game soundtrack has 17 tracks at 192 kbps and the original soundtrack has 16 at 128 kbps and they are in mp3 format

[quote name='gamez79']in game soundtrack has 17 tracks at 192 kbps and the original soundtrack has 16 at 128 kbps and they are in mp3 format[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot :)

Gothic 2 is a ton of fun and I liked playing the mage path the best. Playing with melee weapons is screwy in that game so I suggest going down the path of either throwing fireballs or shooting arrows.

This may have been answered, but is it possible to gift these games at the promo price? I can't seem to figure out how to gift them from the promo screen, and if you go to the regular screen for the games, they go up to the full price.

[quote name='Wallenstein']This may have been answered, but is it possible to gift these games at the promo price? I can't seem to figure out how to gift them from the promo screen, and if you go to the regular screen for the games, they go up to the full price.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, games cannot be gifted at promo prices - even these non-bundle sales.

It wouldn't be a surprise, but you could Paypal your giftee the money and tell them about the sale (or somehow log into their account and buy it - but that's between you two ;) )

Just like I thought, I went back for another - Evil Genius this time. I remembered wanting that when I was younger, but not having a capable PC.

Also, didn't see it mentioned here (though I may have missed it) but Gothic 2 occasionally has launch problems for people. After clicking the icon, CPU usage will spike... and then nothing at all, although the game's process is visible in Task Manager. It happened to me, and I was fortunate enough for the game to start after ending an unnecessary process... but I noticed others in the GOG forums couldn't seem to get it running at all. Not trying to put anyone off the game, since it seems a majority of people are okay, but just a heads up.

[quote name='Burchamj']So is it better to pick up Fallout Trilogy? or does the Fallouts from GOG run better?[/QUOTE]

[from this GOG thread.]
According to Chris Taylor, when asked about the differences between GOG and 'Trilogy':

"The Fallout Trilogy includes some free fan-made patches that Good Old Games cannot, but you can download those for free from No Mutants Allowed (www.nma-fallout.com ). I would recommend sticking with the Good Old Games version, as they will run significantly better on newer computers. Enjoy!"

The GOG version also includes more extras than the Trilogy's bonuses & let's not forget the price difference.

Among the "free fan-made patches...from No Mutants Allowed", you should download the F1 High-resolution Patch and F1 Children Patch.
-*-Even better, you can follow the installation procedure on the last page of The F1 FAQ since the linked file includes both of the above & more fixes.

Me too. I played it AFTER Riven and didn't like it. Riven's hard too, but it's one of only a handful of point and click adventure games that I like. Feels internally consistent unlike most IMO.

Would anyone recommend Real Myst over Myst Masterpiece edition? I know Real Myst isn't on sale but I was thinking of maybe waiting until it was if that's the better game.

Bump for final hours.

And don't forget:

HOMMIII & Disciples II - Pinnacles of the fantasy TBS genre (now GOG just needs to add Age of Wonders) Oodles of expansion content is icing.
Evil Genius - 'Dungeon Keeper' with kitschy spies.
Fallout - I hear its last sequel sold pretty well.
Gothic II & Divine Divinity - expansive worlds with rich stories.
Simon the Sorcerer & Beyond Good & Evil - adventure served in the form of humor and intrigue, respectively.

and poor Red Baron is the only one of the sale games to not make the Top 10 Sales list. Rectify this, please. You don't have to be a hardcore sim-fan to appreciate it.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Would anyone recommend Real Myst over Myst Masterpiece edition?[/QUOTE]

IMO, Myst's pre-rendered environments beat the real-time tech of realMyst's day. I would get Myst now, and get realMyst later for the bonus Age that Cyan added.

I bought Beyond Good and Evil and..well..I cna't play it. Everything flickers, the graphics get all out of whack and the menus flicker making it hard to see how to play the game..

..../sigh. But it looks soc ool! Maybe I can figure it out..

[quote name='plutoknight']I bought Beyond Good and Evil and..well..I cna't play it. Everything flickers, the graphics get all out of whack and the menus flicker making it hard to see how to play the game..

..../sigh. But it looks soc ool! Maybe I can figure it out..[/QUOTE]

Do you experience the problems both when running from the start menu shortcut (gogwrap.exe) and the BG&E exe itself? ..when disabling antialiasing or hardware vertex processing?

http://www.gog.com/en/support/beyond_good_and_evil/

[quote name='cheapo72']
HOMMIII & Disciples II - Pinnacles of the fantasy TBS genre (now GOG just needs to add Age of Wonders) Oodles of expansion content is icing.
[/QUOTE]

GoG is adding Master of Magic sometime in April, which is probably the best out of all them. Should be either this week or next, along with Master of Orion and Outcast.

Can't wait for them!

Ugh...I tried playing Outcast a few years back and hated it. Fun that it's maybe the last PC voxel game? But...ugh. That's what happens when I buy something and wait a decade to play it :whistle2:D (Well...sometimes. System Shock 2 kicks all kinds of ass a decade later.)

bread's done
Back