GOG - Summer Hidden Gems - July 25 - Independence War Deluxe - $2.39

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
Every day until 25th of July, GOG will be offering one of their (perhaps lesser-known) classic PC games at a 60% discount. Sales end at 5:59 EDT on the following day.

July 25:

Pilot your Dreadnaught-class ship through the hostilities of space in this classic from Particle Systems (Subwar 2030, Evasive Action). Besides the usual colonist insurrection, you'll have the effects of mass and inertia to contend with in this challenging, yet satisfying, "starship simulator".

Independence War: Deluxe $2.39 [includes Defiance expansion]

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack, (3) Wallpapers, Reference Card, (6) Artworks, Ship ID Chart

Mobygames:
Independence War: The Starship Simulator (83)

Demos/Video:
Independence War: The Starship Simulator
Independence War: Defiance

Past Deals:
July 24:

Take control over the wartime efforts of one of 25 nations in this turn-based strategy. Re-live WWII with a friend with traditional multiplayer as well as Play-by-Email or create your own scenarios with the included mission editor.

Strategic Command: European Theater $3.99

Extras: Manual

Mobygames:
Strategic Command: European Theater (74)

Demo:
Strategic Command: European Theater

July 23:

Before handing the series off to Pandemic, Auran Games (Trainz, Fury) developed this early "3D" RTS incorporating elevation tactics and more advanced unit commands than previously seen in the genre.

Dark Reign $3.99 [includes Rise of the Shadowhand expansion]

Extras: Manual, Reference Card

Mobygames
:
Dark Reign: The Future of War (87)
Dark Reign: Rise of the Shadowhand (81)

Demo:
Dark Reign: The Future of War

July 22:

Experience classic Myst-like puzzles and exploration in a new set of worlds. This time with greater character movement (swimming, jumping, climbing), and an optional 3rd-person perspective.

Uru: Complete Chronicles $3.99 [includes To D'ni and The Path of the Shell expansions]

Extras: Manual

Mobygames
:
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (78)
Uru: To D'ni (3.6/5)
Uru: The Path of the Shell (72)

Demo:
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

July 21:

Fly the Apache Longbow and Havoc-B through somewhat dynamic campaigns with configurable difficulty for every skill level in this classic sim, the first in in the short-lived Enemy Engaged series from Razorworks.

Apache vs. Havoc $2.39

Extras: Manual, Strategy Guide, Key Guide

Mobygames
:
Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc (78)

Gameplay Video:
Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc

Even if you only want to play the sequel, Comanche vs. Hokum, with its great community facelift having Apache/Havoc will give you full functionality in that game's Havoc cockpit.

July 20:

Fight over the planet Krig-7b as one of two competing factions in this real-time tactics game from Massive Entertainment (World in Conflict).

Ground Control $2.39 [includes Dark Conspiracy expansion]

Extras: (2) Manuals, (3) Avatars

Mobygames
:
Ground Control (86)
Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy (80)

Demo:
Ground Control

July 19:

Help April Ryan restore balance to two colliding realities in this classic point-and-click from Funcom (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan)

The Longest Journey $3.99

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack, (2) Wallpapers, Guide, (5) Avatars, (29) Artworks

Mobygames
:
The Longest Journey (88)

Demo:
The Longest Journey

July 18:

Battle over the English throne in these amalgamations of turn-based realm management and real-time combat from Impressions Games (Caesar, Pharaoh, Lords of Magic)

Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition $2.39 [includes Lords of the Realm 1, 2, and 2's Siege Pack expansion]

Extras: (3) Manuals, Historical Reference, Siege Manual, (2) Wallpapers, Map, Reference Card

Mobygames:
Lords of the Realm (80)
Lords of the Realm II (83)
Lords of the Realm II: Siege Pack (3.7/5)

Gameplay Video:
Lords of the Realm II

July 17:

Tackle a "Light" and "Dark" campaign as one of twelve classes in this moody, detailed action-adventure from Starbreeze Studios (Chronicles of Riddick, The Darkness).

Enclave $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (2) Avatars

Mobygames:
Enclave (79)

Demo:
Enclave

July 16:

A true hidden gem, this RPG was the only game released by developer Valkyrie Studios (though the team had also created Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity) and follows the tale of Maya, a scavenger on the "junk" level of the multi-layered world of Septerra. The large and engrossing game also features fully-voiced dialogue and sound/music from O'Donnell/Salvatori (Myth, Oni, Halo).

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator $2.39

Extras: Manual, (6) Wallpapers, (7) Avatars, (17) Artworks, (86) Maps

Mobygames:
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (75)

Demo:
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

July 15:

The Freedom Force has altered the course of time and changed the outcome of WWII! Restore order to history while enjoying new heroes, villains, and an improved custom character creation system in Irrational's (System Shock 2, SWAT 4, Bioshock) tactical beat-em-up.

Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (15) Avatars, (41) Artworks

Mobygames:
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich(81)

Demo:
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich

Some good mods links:
http://ffx.freedomforceforever.com/
http://www.alexff.com/
and more links here: http://freedomforceforever.com/

July 14:

Fight off foreign invasions in this innovative RTS (with a touch of RPG) from Haemimont Games (Tropico 3, Grand Ages: Rome)

Celtic Kings: Rage of War $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (3) Avatars, (6) Artworks

Mobygames:
Celtic Kings: Rage of War (75)

Demo:
Celtic Kings: Rage of War

July 13:

The relatively unknown Cold War adventure game from genre veterans Revolution Software (Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky).

In Cold Blood $2.39

Extras: Manual, (18) Artworks

Mobygames:
In Cold Blood (74)

Demo:
In Cold Blood

July 12:

Recently ported to the Wii, this title offers 6 tables from Hungarian developers A.S.K. Homework (Pure Pinball).

Dream Pinball 3D $2.39

Extras: Manual, Glossary

Mobygames:
Dream Pinball 3D (74)

July 11:

This classic sees Epic Games' first foray into the realm of first-person shooters, as well as the birth of now ubiquitous Unreal engine series.

Unreal: Gold $3.99 [includes Return to Na Pali expansion]

Extras: Manual, (8) Avatars

Mobygames:
Unreal (91)
Unreal Mission Pack I: Return to Na Pali (72)

July 10:

A classic Settlers-type RTS designed by Settlers II's lead programmer.

Knights and Merchants $2.39 [includes The Peasants Rebellion expansion]

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack

Mobygames:
Knights & Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom(76)
Knights & Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion(3.1/5)

Demo:
Knights & Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom

July 9:

Reality Pump's (Two Worlds) second part of the overall Earth trilogy with two expansions.

Earth 2150 Trilogy $2.39 [includes The Moon Project & Lost Souls expansions]

Extras: (3) Manuals, Soundtrack, (3) Avatars, Wallpaper

Mobygames:
Earth 2150 (82)
Earth 2150: The Moon Project (79)
Earth 2150: Lost Souls(74)

Demos:
Earth 2150
Earth 2150: The Moon Project
Earth 2150: Lost Souls

July 8:

ASC Games' classic psych-adventure.
Sanitarium $3.99

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack

Mobygames:
Sanitarium (81)

Demo:
Sanitarium

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have are my nostalgic memories to remind me of how fantastic Septerra Core was. The world was detailed and gorgeous. The combat mechanics were what really drew me in. It can be quite a tactical experience, where character placements are key to hit multiple enemies. There is a ton of loot and at the time the long range sci-fi weapons and such were a nice change of a pace from all of the fantasty RPGs I had played before it.

I do remember the dialogue and voice acting being fairly good at the time, but it's hard to tell if this really holds up well over time. It was also somewhat of a challenge if I remember, possibly not being clear what to do all the time and such. All I know is it's a big nostalgic win in my book.

July 17:

Tackle a "Light" and "Dark" campaign as one of twelve classes in this moody, detailed action-adventure from Starbreeze Studios (Chronicles of Riddick, The Darkness).

Enclave $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (2) Avatars

Mobygames:
Enclave (79)

Demo:
Enclave

I like Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness (well, aside from it giving me a canabal achievement. BOOO!) but the reviews for this make it sound like the combat's really bad?

Is that the case? I was going to buy it, then read the IGN review and I'm thinking I'll pass?

The graphics STILL look nice though!

I read the same reviews but then saw some gameplay videos and thought hell, it's only $2.39. I'm sure I can find $2 worth of entertainment out of it!

Missed septera's core on sale but I might just pay the 5.99 it's not a perfect game but I loved it as a traditional rpg.

Wonder if I should just wait for another sale.

I must do pretty well with hidden gems cuz I have original discs for all the games on sale so far with the exception of the pinball game, nothing beats going to a horrible bar or bowling alley and playing on a real machine.

Every day until 25th of July, GOG will be offering one of their (perhaps lesser-known) classic PC games at a 60% discount. Sales end at 5:59 EDT on the following day.

July 18:

Battle over the English throne in these amalgamations of turn-based realm management and real-time combat from Impressions Games (Caesar, Pharaoh, Lords of Magic)

Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition $2.39 [includes Lords of the Realm 1, 2, and 2's Siege Pack expansion]

Extras: (3) Manuals, Historical Reference, Siege Manual, (2) Wallpapers, Map, Reference Card

Mobygames:
Lords of the Realm (80)
Lords of the Realm II (83)
Lords of the Realm II: Siege Pack (3.7/5)

Gameplay Video:
Lords of the Realm II

So is this game just a medieval version of Civilization? That's what it seems like and although the reviews are decent what's the difference?

[quote name='keithp']Today's Hidden Gem: The Longest Journey for $3.99

Finally, a game I already have on GOG.[/QUOTE]

Might as well already buy it on the off-chance that it encourages Funcom to finally release Dreamfall: Chapters before 2013...

July 19:

Help April Ryan restore balance to two colliding realities in this classic point-and-click from Funcom (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan)

The Longest Journey $3.99

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack, (2) Wallpapers, Guide, (5) Avatars, (29) Artworks

Mobygames
:
The Longest Journey (88)

Demo:
The Longest Journey

I think it was The Longest Journey that I kept hearing about as phenomenal back a few years ago? Guess I'll finally bite.

I just noticed they've got Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath now!

Unfortunately I already rented it on Steam...but I'll buy it on GOG.

July 21:

Fly the Apache Longbow and Havoc-B through somewhat dynamic campaigns with configurable difficulty for every skill level in this classic sim, the first in in the short-lived Enemy Engaged series from Razorworks.

Apache vs. Havoc $2.39

Extras: Manual, Strategy Guide, Key Guide

Mobygames
:
Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc (78)

Gameplay Video:
Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc

Even if you only want to play the sequel, Comanche vs. Hokum, with its great community facelift having Apache/Havoc will give you full functionality in that game's Havoc cockpit.

[quote name='atreyuevr']Why does it feel like Keith is trying to 1-up Cheapo with his posting of the GOG deals... =/[/QUOTE]

Nah, just giving the early risers a heads up. Cheapo's doing a great job!

[quote name='keithp']Nah, just giving the early risers a heads up. Cheapo's doing a great job![/QUOTE]

Yeah, checked the posting times and seen why. Sorry for the hate!

I appreciate the early updates - keep it up (as long as the sales last). :)

[quote name='keithp']Nah, just giving the early risers a heads up. Cheapo's doing a great job![/QUOTE]

Does anyone know how GoG's version of Dark Reign runs in Windows 7? When I try running it off my original discs, I get some really bad color errors + issues. I think it'd be worth the $4 just to have it working and compatible. =|

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Does anyone know how GoG's version of Dark Reign runs in Windows 7? When I try running it off my original discs, I get some really bad color errors + issues. I think it'd be worth the $4 just to have it working and compatible. =|[/QUOTE]

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)

I'm really tempted by Dark Reign, I like the older classics that were the fathers of the genre, this is one of them and I'm thinking for 4 bucks it's worth it to see the time it really branched out.

Welp, having grown up on it I'm definitely glad I picked up Dark Reign for $4. :D It's now CD-less, and actually running perfectly under Win7x64.

My single complaint is that however GoG codes the CD music thing doesn't play tracks from Rise of the Shadowhand. For the unaware, the original and the expansion each had their own soundtrack. This one just plays Dark Reign's music. This is easily my only complaint though, and otherwise the package is perfect. :D

EDIT -
OH HO HO. What is this? Just found the folder where music files are stored. May have to look into inserting the Shadowhand CD tracks and seeing if that does the trick at all.

Grabbed Uru and Apache Vs Havoc the other day. Some of the other sales interested me too, but I've kinda already gone well over my spending limit with a bunch of recent sales on GOG and Steam. I'm still wondering when I'll have to time to play them all lol

Hmm, I don't know. There have been a lot of things I've wanted in this sale - some of which I've picked up, some I haven't picked up for no reason other than extreme laziness - but I'm on the fence here. Turn-based war games (not necessarily turn-based games as a whole) all seem to have a very dry appearance that steers me away from them. I'd be interested in trying a game in this vein someday, but I'm waiting for "the one" and I don't feel like this is it.

Ditto. This one (from what I've heard) is very involved, however, and doesn't sound like the game we would want to start out with (turn-based).

If anyone could recommend a good turn-based game for newer gamers to the genre, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Hmm, looks like Medieval 2: Total World Gold Edition is $3.98 (87% off) today on GamersGate. Perhaps that fits the bill?

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Hmm, I don't know. There have been a lot of things I've wanted in this sale - some of which I've picked up, some I haven't picked up for no reason other than extreme laziness - but I'm on the fence here. Turn-based war games (not necessarily turn-based games as a whole) all seem to have a very dry appearance that steers me away from them. I'd be interested in trying a game in this vein someday, but I'm waiting for "the one" and I don't feel like this is it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jkimrey']Hmm, looks like Medieval 2: Total World Gold Edition is $3.98 (87% off) today on GamersGate. Perhaps that fits the bill?[/QUOTE]

Friendly FYI: Medieval 2 download is 13GB and it unpacks to 26GB.

(I picked this up the other day when the sale started because the price was right, but haven't played it, yet.)

July 25:

Pilot your Dreadnaught-class ship through the hostilities of space in this classic from Particle Systems (Subwar 2030, Evasive Action). Besides the usual colonist insurrection, you'll have the effects of mass and inertia to contend with in this challenging, yet satisfying, "starship simulator".

Independence War: Deluxe $2.39 [includes Defiance expansion]

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack, (3) Wallpapers, Reference Card, (6) Artworks, Ship ID Chart

Mobygames:
Independence War: The Starship Simulator (83)

Demos/Video:
Independence War: The Starship Simulator
Independence War: Defiance

GOG and Atari/Particle Systems were kind enough to use this sale as an opportunity to add a bunch of new extras to I-War (including its soundtrack), as well as the soundtrack to I-War 2.

[quote name='jkimrey']...
If anyone could recommend a good turn-based game for newer gamers to the genre, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Hmm, looks like Medieval 2: Total World Gold Edition is $3.98 (87% off) today on GamersGate. Perhaps that fits the bill?[/QUOTE]

Remember that in Total War games you'll be dealing with real-time (but pause-able) battles in addition to the TBS parts.

Depending on what setting you prefer (sci-fi, fantasy, etc.), GOG has some great starting points with Alpha Centauri or Master of Orion 1+2, Heroes of Might & Magic III or Age of Wonders. And, of course, the not-available-on-GOG (yet) Civilization 2 through 4.

Man, I wish this sale would go on for another week or two. There are a few old games in the catalog that I've long lost the CDs or floppies to, and plenty more supposed classics I never had the privilege to enjoy.

bread's done
Back