GOG Weekend Deal - Might & Magic/HOMM up to 50% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
mam.jpg

Until Sunday night, Might & Magic games are 30% off if purchased individually, and 50% off if purchasing/completing all four games.

four-pack $19.99 (50% off)

HOMM 1 $6.99 (30% off)
HOMM 2: Gold Edition $6.99 (30% off)
HOMM 3: Complete $6.99 (30% off)
Might & Magic 6-Pack: Limited Edition $6.99 (30% off)

HOMM 3 Demo

Mobygames:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason why every link to GOG.com just gives me errors? I can go to the site just fine, but when linked it does not like to work...

Anyway not too bad. $20 for all of them.

It's because CAG automatically adds a referral link, which often screws up GOG links.

Which is better everybody, HOMM 2 or 3?

[quote name='eastx']It's because CAG automatically adds a referral link, which often screws up GOG links.

Which is better everybody, HOMM 2 or 3?[/QUOTE]

HoMM3 is a classic. It took everything good about 2, purified it, crystallized it and put it on disc. One of my all-time favorites.

Okay, dang it! I already own Heroes 1 and 2 so I can't get the best discount, but I'm going to have to buy Heroes 3 and I guess the Might and Magic collection. I'm hopping it's not too tedious for me by today's standards (Might and Magic 6 that is). I love Orcs & Elves for what that's worth :whistle2:D

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, dang it! I already own Heroes 1 and 2 so I can't get the best discount, but I'm going to have to buy Heroes 3 and I guess the Might and Magic collection. I'm hopping it's not too tedious for me by today's standards (Might and Magic 6 that is). I love Orcs & Elves for what that's worth :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

On the promo page it says that if you own part, you can complete it and still get the 50% off. Haven't tried it myself (don't own any), but worth reading the fine print on the promo page if you own 1 and 2 off GoG.

[quote name='Kaltic']Any reason why every link to GOG.com just gives me errors? I can go to the site just fine, but when linked it does not like to work...

Anyway not too bad. $20 for all of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I add links & the referral misses adding a '/' in the right place. I then have to copy the bad links & re-add them (with the '/'). Another referral is then added to the first one, probably breaking the actual referral, but keeping the link intact.

You just caught the links in the midst of my editing, sry.

[quote name='eastx']Which is better everybody, HOMM 2 or 3?[/QUOTE]

3, IMHO. Better gameplay, graphics, more content.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']On the promo page it says that if you own part, you can complete it and still get the 50% off. Haven't tried it myself (don't own any), but worth reading the fine print on the promo page if you own 1 and 2 off GoG.[/QUOTE]

Seems like GoG is really cool with their deals and if you already own part of it (and just plain cool).

[quote name='Jugglenaut']On the promo page it says that if you own part, you can complete it and still get the 50% off. Haven't tried it myself (don't own any), but worth reading the fine print on the promo page if you own 1 and 2 off GoG.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, yeah I own 1 and 2 from back in the 90s. Cool thing is I still get 30% off 3 and the collection.

'Cause my backlog's not big enough yet ;)

Heck, I have Heroes FIVE in my backlog already! 3 actually looks better to me though. Better graphics (2D), and 5's gameplay's been changed I think.

HoMM3 is worth it just for the mods. The community has put out a LOT of quality extras for it; there's absolutely no excuse not owning it if you like strategy games.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, so should I buy Might & Magic collection too?[/QUOTE]

Well its 6 games for about a dollar each. ;) THATS some real cheap ass gaming

Yeah, it's a good deal from that perspective, but I'm worried because I've never played one, and I know a lot of older RPGs like that are super hard core, and they don't even have cutting edge graphics now to fall back on.

I don't have much patience anymore for lame interfaces (I couldn't even play Phantasy Star 4 when I tried playing it again recently-when I rented it back in the day it seemed awesome).

HoMM 3 is one of my top three games of all time.
You can really see the growth from 1 to 2 to 3. I thought 4 was awful, and never tried five.
I don't know if the earlier M&M games will hold up, but HoMM 3 definitely will.

How does GoG work? It's not like Steam is it?

[quote name='Kaltic']Seems like GoG is really cool with their deals and if you already own part of it (and just plain cool).[/QUOTE]

If only Steam would do something like this. I really hate how they don't compensate you if you already own a game that's part of a package and then offer the package for sale. At least let us gift it as an extra copy (for non-Valve games that is).

[quote name='Marker']If only Steam would do something like this. I really hate how they don't compensate you if you already own a game that's part of a package and then offer the package for sale. At least let us gift it as an extra copy (for non-Valve games that is).[/QUOTE]

On STEAM, you don't really own anything, so it's not going to happen. Consumers have no leverage because of poor buying habits and lack of competition, which means the policies will remain the same.

Anyways, I do like GoG's policy on game sales. I have gotten some pretty good deals there. I'm still curious about the alternative gift for previous Tex Murphy 1 & 2 owners.

[quote name='opportunity777']On STEAM, you don't really own anything, so it's not going to happen. Consumers have no leverage because of poor buying habits and lack of competition, which means the policies will remain the same.
.[/QUOTE]

dingdingding

My biggest concern/fear over the coming move to digital download. You can't trade them, you can't resell them, government says it's due to poor farming (sorry-bonus points for ID'ing that one). Some vendors do it right - Emusic and Amazon for MP3s, GoG for games - and others are intent at wresting every bit of control over content from the consumer. (For the record, I am against piracy, but I am very pro-resale, of almost any content that was legally obtained initially.)

I might bite on this. I bought HoMM Millenium or Gold or something, and I'm sure i've misplaced the disk, and now my CDRom drive is broken (it won't open) so I'm screwed anyway.

Oh man. I had no idea Might and Magic 4 and 5 were on GoG. I've been looking for a playable copy of that game everywhere!

[quote name='dtcarson']dingdingding

My biggest concern/fear over the coming move to digital download. You can't trade them, you can't resell them, government says it's due to poor farming (sorry-bonus points for ID'ing that one). Some vendors do it right - Emusic and Amazon for MP3s, GoG for games - and others are intent at wresting every bit of control over content from the consumer. (For the record, I am against piracy, but I am very pro-resale, of almost any content that was legally obtained initially.)

I might bite on this. I bought HoMM Millenium or Gold or something, and I'm sure i've misplaced the disk, and now my CDRom drive is broken (it won't open) so I'm screwed anyway.[/QUOTE]

I like you, Stuart. You're not like the other people here in the trailer park.

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']HoMM3 is worth it just for the mods. The community has put out a LOT of quality extras for it; there's absolutely no excuse not owning it if you like strategy games.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure mods will work with a digital version?

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Are you sure mods will work with a digital version?[/QUOTE]

I've been able to mod other GoG titles, so it is possible to do it.

I bought Heroes 3 last night :)

Someone feel free to talk me into the Might and Magic collection :lol:

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Are you sure mods will work with a digital version?[/QUOTE]

I installed the Wake of Gods fan made expansion and it worked fine! :D

[quote name='Marker']If only Steam would do something like this. I really hate how they don't compensate you if you already own a game that's part of a package and then offer the package for sale. At least let us gift it as an extra copy (for non-Valve games that is).[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I wanted to bite so bad on the THQ sale, but I had half the games, I'd have given the 50 for what was left, but not without being able to pass along the rest.

[quote name='opportunity777']
Anyways, I do like GoG's policy on game sales. I have gotten some pretty good deals there. I'm still curious about the alternative gift for previous Tex Murphy 1 & 2 owners.[/QUOTE]

I don't need this crap right now...but man. I don't really want to pass them up and I'd like to support the strong packaging services they do

HOMM is great. I don't remember which I sunk so much time into in middle school. 1 is way too old. I think 2 and 3 are the sweet spots. MMVI is great. I've never tinkered with the older MMs, though.

What was wrong with 4? I thought it was supposed to be good too, but you're the second person to say that.

2's still fine though, which is kind of amazing (1's probably not bad either, just kind of simple in comparison).

And is Might and Magic 6 real hard/frustrating? I can't stand that kind of thing, or when you can't tell what weapons/armour will do before you buy it.

The system requirements were higher than I thought they should be for a game of that type, I couldn't find a screen resolution that let me see everything I needed to without eyestrain, they cluttered all the screens up, and i didn't like the implementation of the usable heroes. Caravanning could have been nice but I didn't like that either. Apart from the technical challenges, I don't know if I'd call it "bad", but I really didn't like it, especially coming after the near-perfection that was HoMM III: SoD/Complete.
2 is still good, 1 was very simple. They should toss in King's Bounty for a real flashback :)

edit:

OK, I wasn't going to get this. I have HoMM3 somewhere, like I said, but this is the kind of DD I want to support. Plus, I thought, "if I buy all of them, am I ever actually going to play HoMM 1?" knowing that it's not bad at all, just much simpler than 2 or 3, but also knowing that if I bought HoMM 3, I'd probably get M&M as well - and 2 was good, so buying all of them is actually cheaper. Then I thought - my boy has watched me play HoMM 3 before, and HoMM 1 would be a great way to get him into the concepts of TBS games before kicking it up with 2 or 3. Plus, damn, I spend eight bucks when I go out to lunch. Plus I saved 16.00 on haircuts today with the new place's grand opening special....

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back