GOG Weekend Deal - Sierra "Quest" Games - 50% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

Through Monday, February 6th, 11:59 AM EDT, GOG and Activision are offering their collection of 20 classic Sierra Quest games at a 50% flat discount.

[Promo Page]

King's Quest 1+2+3 $4.99
King's Quest 4+5+6 $4.99
King's Quest 7+8 $4.99
Space Quest 1+2+3 $4.99
Space Quest 4+5+6 $4.99
Police Quest 1+2+3+4 $4.99
Police Quest: SWAT 1+2 $4.99

[Notes:
The VGA Remakes of KQI and SQI are NOT included.
The original EGA version of PQI is NOT included.
The rare, but only mildly different AGI version of KQ IV is not included.
KQ V & VI are the DOS CD talkie versions.
KQ VII is the DOS version.
SQ IV & VI are the talkie DOS CD talkie versions. (There never was speech in SQ V.)]

Mobygames:
King's Quest (3.4/5)
King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne (63)
King's Quest III: To Heir is Human (3.9/5)
King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella (3.8/5)
King's Quest VI: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! (73)
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (86)
Roberta Williams' King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride (82)
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity (76)

Space Quest: Chapter I - The Sarien Encounter (3.9/5)
Space Quest: Chapter II - Vohaul's Revenge (3.6/5)
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon (4.0/5)
Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers (70)
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation (80)
Space Quest 6: Roger Wilco in the Spinal Frontier (77)

Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel (3.6/5)
Police Quest 2: The Vengeance (66)
Police Quest 3: The Kindred (3.7/5)
Daryl F. Gates' Police Quest: Open Season (79)
Daryl F. Gates' Police Quest: SWAT (61)
Police Quest: SWAT 2 (67)

Last edited by a moderator:
A little commentary:

The early KQ games (1 and 2 at least) can be beaten in less than an hour if you know what you are doing. The controls can be a slight issue in that being a pixel or two off on, say, a staircase can kill you, so save often. There's also elements in each that are designed to do nothing more than tell the player to eat shit, such as an enemy who randomly spawns and makes the game unwinnable in the first and a bridge that will dump your ass down a ravine if you walk across it too many times in the second game. In some ways, these are actually really hilarious, because there is NO WAY a modern developer would let these kinds of things slide. Roberta Williams is like the honey badger, she don't care.

The later games are of course much more elaborate, with more areas, better graphics, different interfaces (icon based mouse controls versus keyboard/text parsers), and are generally higher quality games as technology improved and budgets increased.

If you don't have the nostalgia for the early 16 color primitive titles, start around King's Quest 5/6/7. Avoid Mask of Eternity. 6 and 7 might be considered the best, with 6 being a solid example of the genre and 7 being a radical departure by going with an extremely cartoony Disney-esque aesthetic (which was popular at the time). The story in the first three games is barebones "king needs to save his realm" type stuff and peppered with a lot of typical fantasy elements (seriously, KQ2 has Dracula, The Big Bad Wolf/Little Red Riding Hood, AND Pegasus in it), so I wouldn't really worry about continuity. I haven't gotten around to playing KQ4 so I can't say much on that, but I want to say that was the first big step toward a more immersive take on the genre. Gog.com, you sly fox you, grouping 4-6 and 7/8 for the bundles, forcing you to buy both if you want the best KQ games.

Get ready for text parsers too, which I know has to be weird for some people. They aren't intricate by any means, so I doubt anyone would get stumped by not knowing what to type in. Use LOOK a lot, and have SWIM typed in before you jump in some water. Exploit saves as much as possible.

The unwinnable scenarios are ball bashing annoyances - there are times where you can be right at the end of the game and find that you cannot do anything else. KQV is especially known for this, and I ran into the same problem with KQVI yeaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago and never finished it since. If you hate this kind of thing, use a walkthrough. We're talking nonsense that NO ONE could see coming, and the only reason people would finish the games when no walkthroughs were available was by pure accident, until you got two nerds in a room and they finally hashed it out.

Want to die in Police Quest? Go into the locker room, remove your clothes for a shower, and then walk out into the lobby. Game over. This is seriously about all I remember from Police Quest, as I never really got into it.

Early Space Quest games can be especially brutal, with lots of guessing-and-checking and so forth. Still look pretty good though. I've only really played 4, where buildings tasted like wildberry. I tried out the earlier ones but never got very far. Geez, I swear the earlier games were asking me to pick things up that you'd have to guess were there, but maybe I just didn't give them enough chance.

As elcheapo mentions, there are some free fan-made VGA remakes that are surprisingly well made. Some replace the text parser with icons for accessibility, and the King's Quest 2 is a full on remake with new areas. So if you aren't looking to spend cash but want to play a few, that's the way to go.

You can test out your patience with these games by going to Sarien.net and playing the first games of each series for free. There's a funny thing with the site in that technically the games are made as "multiplayer titles," so there are times where a second avatar (King Graham for example) will show up on the screen. At first I thought the game was lagging, and maybe it was showing a "shadow" version of myself doing something, but then the other Graham would go die in a lake. You can even chat with the other players, which can be kind of hilarious as well. The guy that runs the site seems like a cool dood, and apparently is working on free iOS versions of the games he's got available (which have been given Activision's blessing, as Activision now owns the IPs).

Too bad Leisure Suit Larry isn't included. Thank god Al Lowe is being consulted for a remake of the first one and some new titles in the series after those last two insufferable titles.

Also, King's Quest and Space Quest are on Steam if that's more your thing, and the prices are comparable since those are full collections versus smaller bundles. Granted, the Gog.com releases will not require active internet connections and have no other DRM.

Good luck adventurers.

If you are interested in these games you might want to check out the AGD Interactive remakes of King's Quest 1-3. Rather than the old 16 color EGA versions of the game they have remade them in 256 VGA and include full voice including the actor who original voiced King Graham in KQV. They aren't just remakes though as they expand on the original game and remove some of the annoyances of the originals.

They also have a remake of Quest for Glory 2 which includes import/export. So you can play the AGI or SCI version of QfG1 and import it in to this remake and export your game to the official QfG3 so you can play the entire series in SCI and the remake includes updated better combat and they fixed the annoying bazaar that the original game had.

http://agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Damn, no Leisure Suit Larry or Hero's Quest. I really liked the Hero's Quest games. One of my old discs had an error on it and the one that had the Sanford & Son cameo wouldn't let me play the last disc. So dissappointing. Which one was the quest for the holy grail? Another good one.

Police Quest 1 is actually the VGA version

Anyway, does Space Quest have an overarching storyline or are they all separate adventures?
If it's the latter, then I'll just get the 4-6 pack

The First 4 Police Quest games are all fantastic, but hard. Leisure Suit Larry was always my favorite of these series, with the very first being one of my all time favorite games. I remember Larry 2 not only being stupid hard because there were way too many ways to inadvertently die, but also the fact that the syntax on the parser was completely broken and made the game unwinnable.

I got into these point and click games in the mid-90's, long after their heyday, and one thing that sticks out to me is the fact that I couldn't fathom making any progress in ANY of them without a walkthrough to reference. The Sierra games were the worst because a decision you made at one point in the game, could end up making the game unwinnable, and you wouldn't figure out that that was the case until much later on in the game. Forget to pick up a certain needed item? Well screw you, you should have done it when you had the chance. They also were incredibly difficult in that they rarely provided much in the way of clues or direction on what to do or where to go next, so you better have that save key ready at a moments notice. Definitely an under appreciated genre.

I have to say, it is extremely nice to hear so much talk about these old Sierra games. I actually enjoyed the "Text Parser" games like Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest, despite being quite young when they were released.

As an adult, I hear much more about Lucasarts titles from the same era, from Sam & Max to Monkey Island. All entertaining games, certainly, but my allegiance goes to Sierra's "Text Parser" romps. Getting to every new screen was an excitement all its own, and every area had some kind of amusement. (Though most things did kill you, but that was part of the experience.)

To be more helpful, I recommend the first three or so games in each of these series. (spmahnspmahn and Strell have excellent summaries of the games above.)

Admittedly, in Police Quest 3, I couldn't play the "driving" segments because they ran too fast and distinguishing between areas was difficult. (I believe a map that was included with the physical game was necessary. Perhaps GOG includes it, since they're very good about including such things.) Perhaps DOSBox can help there.

I never really got into these, probably because I didn't own a PC until the early 90s. (Before them, I was exclusively Atari computers.)

I'm thinking about picking up one of these things...

[quote name='SScorpio']They also have a remake of Quest for Glory 2... and they fixed the annoying bazaar that the original game had.
[/QUOTE]

What was annoying about it? I can't remember anything wrong with shopping.

[quote name='justasplanned']Police Quest 1 is actually the VGA version...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess it is the opposite of the KQ and SQ packs. Just release it all and end the confusion, people!

[quote name='bobphone']Yeah, your prices are wrong, BRRRROTHER.[/QUOTE]

I would never make a mistake. It was the Copy/Paste bandit, I tells ya.

[quote name='Strell']
Want to die in Police Quest? Go into the locker room, remove your clothes for a shower, and then walk out into the lobby. Game over. This is seriously about all I remember from Police Quest, as I never really got into it.
[/QUOTE]

I remember a couple things, the most notable being pulling over the chick with the massive cans. You could get her number, I think, or insult her. And maybe somewhere along the line you find out that she was the chief or the mayor's wife? Maybe?

My neighbor was a tit man so we discussed her in full detail on the bus ride to school.

[quote name='dothog']I remember a couple things, the most notable being pulling over the chick with the massive cans. You could get her number, I think, or insult her. And maybe somewhere along the line you find out that she was the chief or the mayor's wife? Maybe?

My neighbor was a tit man so we discussed her in full detail on the bus ride to school.[/QUOTE]
That's correct, you can pull over the woman and ask for her phone number. Then, go to the cafe and call that very number to discover she's the chief's wife. Some of the easter eggs in those old Sierra games gave them even more character. It's one of the reasons I recommend them so highly.

Police-Quest-Helen-Hots.jpg

What I don't understand is why a pixelated woman would arouse so much excitement. I suppose it's best to simply leave the man with the Xena avatar alone.

[quote name='justasplanned']

Anyway, does Space Quest have an overarching storyline or are they all separate adventures?
If it's the latter, then I'll just get the 4-6 pack[/QUOTE]

I would say it has an overarching storyline and it's especially prevalent in Space Quest IV because of all the time travelling (there will be a lot of "Oh, yeah I remember that" moments and you almost encounter your past self) so it might be a good idea to play I-III, too. A little of this carries over to part V. I never played part VI, so I'm not sure how that ties in to the continuity.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I suppose it's best to simply leave the man with the Xena avatar alone.[/QUOTE]
Is that a dig at Xena and pixelated, 16-color T&A in the same post?

:shock:

You incredible asshole.

bread's done
Back