GoGamer: Dark Messiah of MM Limited Edition $18

Sentinel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Picked it up when it was $15 earlier, pretty enjoyable game if you look at it as an FPS and not an RPG. It starts to drag ass a bit when you fight tons of undead since they're pretty dull, but overall action packed fun.

hmm im thinking whether i should buy this or not is it worth it? hmm thinking of using google checkout on this one

I'm not sure if this game is good but I cannot resist and I am sure I can find some fun in it. So I just ordered it, looks kinda elder scrollsish, can anyone compare it to a game?

There's a perfectly good demo out as well as a series of videos demoing three fairly different play-styles for the same area. Basically, it is a first person action game with some of the best, most visceral fantasy combat out there (Which isn't saying much, considering the competition is Thief, a game that clearly inspired DM.) You can swash buckles like Errol Flynn, sneak around like Garrett, or nuke people with lots of spells, and all of it is just plain enjoyable with the physics engine and satisfying combat. Kick people off ledges, into spiked walls (As common in this game as exploding barrels are in most FPSs.), throw whatever you can find at them... Fun stuff. Plus, replay value lets you go at the game again with a different skill-point allocation and what could be a radically different game.

[quote name='brian101']hmm im thinking whether i should buy this or not is it worth it? hmm thinking of using google checkout on this one[/QUOTE]
For an actiony/fighting game it's definately worth it. Fairly bad dialogue/voice acting/story, but the combat is fantastic.
[quote name='coolcps']I'm not sure if this game is good but I cannot resist and I am sure I can find some fun in it. So I just ordered it, looks kinda elder scrollsish, can anyone compare it to a game?[/QUOTE]
Nothing like Elder Scrolls. There's 0 roleplaying to the game, the only roleplaying-esque thing about it is you buy skills once in a while and have an inventory. The combat is way better than Oblivion's however, and if you look at it strictly as an action game it's great.

I liked the game alot. If they made a sequel with a better ending, and a bit more fleshed out in the might and magic world, I would probably jump for it the moment it came out. The combat is a blast, sort of reminicent of Oblivion but so much more (combat wise that is). Think FPS, First Person Slasher and not RPG (If your looking for a true rpg look elsewhere). Otherwise highly recommended.

Well, it is kinda obvious that this game was designed off of Thief's swordplay (The Rope Bow and the Master Thief's outfit being both homages to Thief, and the power attack mechanic being identical. Plus, the rooftop chase scene definitely conjured Thief memories...). I guess I wasn't the only one who thought Thief swordfighting would make a good game. Because of this, I think this game wasn't actually originally designed as a Might and Magic game, but just had the name shoehorned onto the title.

Well, it is kinda obvious that this game was designed off of Thief's swordplay (The Rope Bow and the Master Thief's outfit being both homages to Thief, and the power attack mechanic being identical. Plus, the rooftop chase scene definitely conjured Thief memories...). I guess I wasn't the only one who thought Thief swordfighting would make a good game. Because of this, I think this game wasn't actually originally designed as a Might and Magic game, but just had the name shoehorned onto the title.

Don't want to be a downer, but the regular version of this game is clearanced at Target everywhere, mostly down to the less than $10 range.

I know I picked up a copy for $7.48. Some people have even found copies for $5 IIRC.

Might be worth someone to look into first if they were interested.

I loved the demo.

I played the demo and enjoyed it. I would buy the game but my PC does not have a DVD player and the install requires a DVD.

I got the regular version when it was $15 on GoGamer.com. It when on clearance at Target soon after, but It's certainly worth the money I spent.

As others have said, it is an action game, not an RPG. But it's a VERY good action game, and the combat is superb. I've only played through it once(as a warrior), but I will certainly play through at least once more, if not twice. I can tell going stealth or magic will make the game a very different experience.

And to compare it to Oblivion...eh. They're both first person fantasy games. The comparisons pretty much stop there, but I'm having more fun with Dark Messiah than I did with Oblivion.

[quote name='dsullo']I played the demo and enjoyed it. I would buy the game but my PC does not have a DVD player and the install requires a DVD.[/QUOTE]

You can get a DVD drive for like, $20 bucks. Most games are coming DVD only nowadays. It'd be a worthy upgrade.

I bought the Dark Messiah: Limited Ed a while back from EBGames for like $29.99, w/ free shipping.

DM was pretty good.

The combat was very well done, too.

I definitely enjoyed that one.

MP is fun too, but I don't like that it's connected to STEAM.

[quote name='odhen']I got the regular version when it was $15 on GoGamer.com. It when on clearance at Target soon after, but It's certainly worth the money I spent.

As others have said, it is an action game, not an RPG. But it's a VERY good action game, and the combat is superb. I've only played through it once(as a warrior), but I will certainly play through at least once more, if not twice. I can tell going stealth or magic will make the game a very different experience.

And to compare it to Oblivion...eh. They're both first person fantasy games. The comparisons pretty much stop there, but I'm having more fun with Dark Messiah than I did with Oblivion.[/quote]
I loved Oblivion; awesome RPG.

But, yeah -- DM is more of an action game than an RPG. Though, it's a darn good action game, too.

You can get a DVD drive for like, $20 bucks. Most games are coming DVD only nowadays. It'd be a worthy upgrade.
Agreed.
DVD Drive won't be hard to install, if one has the room and all to put one in. He probably does.

I don't understand the Steam hatred, but you can actually just plug the CD-key you get into Steam and download the game straight from there if you don't have a DVD drive.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't understand the Steam hatred, but you can actually just plug the CD-key you get into Steam and download the game straight from there if you don't have a DVD drive.[/quote]

yeah, but remember the demo was like 3/4 gigabytes. The game's probably 5-8 gigabytes. You'll have to be downloading forever.

I got the game for $10 at Target two weeks ago (YMMV).

The game is ~7 gig so yeah downloading through Steam takes forever, but after seeing all of the copy protection warnings on the box and the Ubisoft logo, I started having Starforce flashbacks and decided to download the damn thing instead.

Fun game, has some issues. I gotten stuck in the wall while climbing ropes, and the inventory system is a little janky. I'm enjoying it though. Hopefully there are still people playing the MP.

bread's done
Back