Going on vacation...

SilverPaw750

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
On this upcoming thursday, I'm leaving for a 10 day vacation to Hawaii. Considering that I live in Florida, the transit time will be pretty damn long, and I would love to buy 2 or 3 DS/GBA games to entertain me. So, for the third time in a year, I'm turning to CAG for recommendations, since it hasn't let me down yet!

Games I own:
Brain Age
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Mario Kart DS

Clubhouse Games
Meteos
Yoshi's Island DS
Tetris DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Advance Wars DS
WarioWare: Touched!
Castlevania Double Pack (GBA)

Drill Dozer (GBA)
Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)
Super Mario Word (GBA)

bold means I've already beaten it, but keep it around to replay now and then.

Games I have owned/beaten:
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Super Mario 64 DS
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright 2
Castlevania: DoS
Castlevania: PoR
Castlevania: CotM
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Sonic Rush

In general, I'm more intersted in buying DS games, though if there are any uber-incredible GBA experiences out there, I'll consider it. I'm not into RPGs, and find them boring (which is why the only one on this list is Mario&Luigi!), unless, again, they're uber-incredible.

Also, being that it's only $20 and has gotten good reviews, I've been eyeing Asphalt Urban GT 2...anyone have any opinions?

THANKS CAG!

Quick glance. Metroid Prime pinball without a doubt. Insanely addictive for what it's worth. I've put a good 50+ hours on it.

Golden Sun 1 and 2 are incredibly super uber RPG's too.

Metroid Prime Hunters is a solid way to kill off 10 hours.

The mario RPG prequel to Partners in Time (superstar saga) is also amazing. It's at least 3x better then that wanna be Partners in Time.

Hmm, too many GBA's... *thinks*

Lost in Blue I loved but it's not for everyone. A lot of management is involved in it but I really loved that game.

Another vote for Metroid Prime Pinball as it's awesome. Beyond that, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is a blast if you like Legend of Zelda. Also people are still gay for Puzzle Quest. It's okay, but not as spectacular as everyone says it is. Regardless, it's still a game that'll meet your needs quite well.

Honestly, all of the games you own but haven't beaten are worth playing. Advance Wars DS alone could probably keep you preoccupied for the those trip.

[quote name='seanr1221']Elite Beat Agents.

For the love of God buy this game![/QUOTE]
Tried demo, didn't find the gameplay enjoyable at all.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Tried demo, didn't find the gameplay enjoyable at all.[/QUOTE]

The demo is awful. Like many rhythm based games, playing on the easy difficulty =/= fun.

Elite Beat Agent's demo was pretty terrible. The game is awful on easy mode. Having said that, it is NOT a good game for planes.

I'd say Super Princess Peach if you can find it. From your list it looks like you like side scrollers. This one is fun and moves pretty fast. It held my attention to 100% everything. Maybe a tad easy.

Mario vs. DK 2 is another really fun one IMO. (Not a side scroller, just a good game.)

Kirby Squeak Squad is another side scroller that reviewed well IIRC. I haven't played it outside of 10 or so minutes on a relative's copy so I can't give a first hand impression on that one.

I sunk a ton of time into Puzzle Quest. IMO you can play it for a couple hours and you'll know if it's going to be your thing or not. Check out the PC demo as the DS game is pretty much exactly the same (just the interface is more cramped since the DS is way smaller than a computer screen...

Metroid Prime Pinball is a good one already mentioned that I think you should be able to find pretty cheap.

You have a pretty good collection there, seeing as how you say you don't care much for RPG's that really limits what I can suggest. (Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey, FF3 for starters -- all great time sinks)

Puzzle Quest is fun, and from what you said it looks like you're only missing Aria of Sorrow from the Castlevania series. So you may want to pick that up to complete the collection. Age of Empires is another good choice.

Maybe Animal Crossing -- I dont' care for it much, but everyone else seems to enjoy it.

I'll keep an eye out for Super Princess Peach, MvDK2, and Metroid Prime Pinball at stores over the next few days.

Wubb: I've heard SPP is way too easy...does it still hold a lot of playtime?

Volden: I've heard Puzzle Quest is glitchy, and I played the hell out of Animal Crossing on the GC. And Aria of Sorrow is in the Castlevania Double Pack (GBA) - awesome game!

I haven't experienced any glitches in PQ and I'm about 20 hours in.

Which Castlevania are you missing?

Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance?

Both are great.

[quote name='Volden']I haven't experienced any glitches in PQ and I'm about 20 hours in.

Which Castlevania are you missing?

Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance?

Both are great.[/QUOTE]
Whoops, forgot to put CotM on my beaten list...it was actually the first game I got for my GBA, way back in 2001.

The PSP version of PQ has a glitch where allies (one minor feature in the game) don't actually do anything. But even that wouldn't be much of a big deal IMO. I didn't experience any glitches that I can remember in PQ (except it may have turned off instead of going to sleep one time when I closed the clamshell, other times it went to sleep fine so I'm not sure I didn't just bump the cartridge) and I played through the entire game and maxed my character's level. One knock a few reviews mentioned is difficulty with hitting the wrong tile with the stylus (since it's all fairly small on the DS's touch screen) I don't think that happened to me more than a handful of times and like I said I played it quite a bit. I'd suggest checking the PC demo to get a feel for it.

As for SPP, it is pretty easy and playing through it can be done fairly quickly. But then new stuff opens up and there are a few extras to collect in each area. I didn't find anything too hard to find, and for me it stayed fun through clearing 100%. The main legit knock I could see someone having is it not being difficult enough. If you played NSMB through getting 2 or 3 stars I'm pretty sure you'd also like 100%ing this one.

MvDK 2 is kind of the same way. Just clearing the levels through to the end is fairly easy, but there are secondary challenges you need to do to fully complete the game and that's where some thinking comes in.

I second PQ and MvsDK2.

I also suggest:
Warioware Twisted! (GBA) - For me, it was easily the best game of the Warioware series. It's addictive and the Twist mechanic is interesting, but I'm not sure if it would work on an airplane.
Mario Golf/Tennis (GBA) - Great sports RPGs if you're even slightly into Golf or Tennis.
Fire Pro Wrestling (GBA) - If you enjoy pro wrestling, the first GBA game provides hours of entertainment with the "Audience Mode," which tasks you with impressing the audience according to the rules of your chosen wrestling style.
Sonic Advance/Sonic Pinball Party Combo Pack (GBA) - Advance is an alright platformer, but Pinball Party is the standout in this pack thanks to its awesome music and gameplay mechanics.
GBA Metroid games (Fusion and Zero Mission) - If you enjoyed the Castlevania games, then the two Metroid GBA should provide some worthwhile entertainment. You can't go wrong with either one, but I consider Zero Mission to be the superior of the two, since it has less hand-holding than Fusion and the original NES Metroid as an unlockable.

Custom Robo Arena - Has Virtual-On-style battling, but there tends to be quite a bit of dialogue outside of the battles.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - A simple and fun action RPG that focuses mostly on collecting items and enemies.

Fire Emblem for the GBA also rocked out loud if you like AW style games with a RPG twist.

Viewtiful Joe for the DS isn't so bad either. It'll eat a fair amount of time and can be found on the super cheap.

I cannot stress the awesomeness that Metroid Pinball is though. Seriously, it'll last both flights if you wanted it to. Have a platformer to back it up and you're golden.

I second getting WarioWare Twisted. It adds another dimension to gaming on the DS. A solid choice for sure. It is also a pretty good stress reliever from much harder games.

Which brings me to my other recommendation. Try your hand at Trauma Center. Though it is a stressful at times it that will occupy you for a good deal of time.

I Xth Puzzle Quest, though it is fairly glitchy. I've had it crash on me after a few hours of continuous play, screen glitches out when you make large combos, and theres a little graphic lag as well when matching lots of stuff which seems silly for what the display is...colored orbs and skulls...

But I guess it just goes to show how good it is that I'm willing to play and recommending it even with those problems.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']I'll keep an eye out for Super Princess Peach, MvDK2, and Metroid Prime Pinball at stores over the next few days.

I've heard SPP is way too easy...does it still hold a lot of playtime?

[/quote]

SPP is pretty fun if you like any of the mario games, which it seems you do. there are a good number of mini games you can unlock and when you beat the game the first time through you unlock about 20+ new levels, so you can keep going after you beat it.

[quote name='suko_32']If you're still in Tally and really want Metroid Pinball, I have a sealed one I can sell for $10. No shipping cost ;)[/QUOTE]
PM'd!

Finally picked up:
Metroid Prime Pinball (thanks suko!)
Wade Hixton's Counter Punch (it's like Punch-Out!! and it's $4)
Metroid Zero Mission (big into Castlevanias, so why not)
SMA3: Yoshi's Island
Super Princess Peach.

Thanks guys for all the help!

bread's done
Back