Going to be importing a Jap PSP soon...

AshesofWake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Wanted to know if anybody here has any personal experiences with a Jap PSP. I know i can't play U.S. UMD movies and such, but i don't care about those at all.

Anyways just wanted general info about owners of Jap PSPs and if they'd had any problems with it or what not. thanks!

In general, they are better than the U.S. versions. The buttons are raised a bit more on the board, and you have such a great selection of colors. I have a white and a blue.
Finally, if you're into homebrew at all, your chances of getting one with 3.10 on it are very high. The gold ones are confirmed to come with it. I picked up my blue one recently and it came with 3.0.3 on it already.

If you don't care about homebrew, ignore my previous paragraph. Oh, and they both came without a single dead pixel on them.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Wanted to know if anybody here has any personal experiences with a Jap PSP. I know i can't play U.S. UMD movies and such, but i don't care about those at all.

Anyways just wanted general info about owners of Jap PSPs and if they'd had any problems with it or what not. thanks![/QUOTE]
asia.jpg

[quote name='dragonjud']In general, they are better than the U.S. versions. The buttons are raised a bit more on the board, and you have such a great selection of colors. I have a white and a blue.
Finally, if you're into homebrew at all, your chances of getting one with 3.10 on it are very high. The gold ones are confirmed to come with it. I picked up my blue one recently and it came with 3.0.3 on it already.

If you don't care about homebrew, ignore my previous paragraph. Oh, and they both came without a single dead pixel on them.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, ima order a metallic blue one from an online store I found. It comes already downgraded to 1.5 which is excellent. It's a bit more expensice, but I have some extra money to burn soon plus it'll only be like a price of a game

$250 with shipping and everything. So not too bad. so yeah,

You should also know, that the button scheme is different: the O and X functions are reversed where, O is confirm and X is cancel on the japanese. Of course, if you plan on putting open firmware I guess it's a moot point.

zewone: what's with the racist crap?

[quote name='ScottSummers']You should also know, that the button scheme is different: the O and X functions are reversed where, O is confirm and X is cancel on the japanese. Of course, if you plan on putting open firmware I guess it's a moot point.

[/QUOTE]

not a big deal for me, i always try to remap games to have O as confirm heh. thanks for the info though!

Actually is very easy to downgrade it so I hope you are not paying extra for them to do it. Your only real problem is dead pixel.

[quote name='ScottSummers']
zewone: what's with the racist crap?[/QUOTE]
the fact that he kept refering to Japanese as jap. I thought it was funny.

[quote name='AshesofWake']thanks for the info, ima order a metallic blue one from an online store I found. It comes already downgraded to 1.5 which is excellent. It's a bit more expensice, but I have some extra money to burn soon plus it'll only be like a price of a game

$250 with shipping and everything. So not too bad. so yeah,[/quote]

:drool: 250 for a brand new blue and downgraded unit thats a good deal usually store mark them up to like 350 to 400

Yeah "jap" is considered offensive or non-pc. We should respect them since, after all, nearly every game we play is from their country and on systems their companies make. :D

[quote name='foundation']Yeah "jap" is considered offensive or non-pc. We should respect them since, after all, nearly every game we play is from their country and on systems their companies make. :D[/QUOTE]
It is offensive to Japanese Americans and not necessary to people of Japan. Beside, there are many american and european developer as well.

I know a lot of people don't think it's a big deal, but Jap is considered by many to be on par with the "n word" (really). So is it really so much trouble to just add a few extra letters and make it "Japanese"?

I had a Japanese culture professor in college who said he would fail anyone who used the abbreviation "jap" in any of their papers. (He was American BTW)

well obviously in the context i used it in just means im a lazy bastard(it's an abbreviation for a version of a system not a human being) and not a racist. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I have a JAPANESE white PSP and I haven't had any problems with it . I recently upgraded to 3.03 OE. I'm happy with it.. No dead Pixels :)

[quote name='zewone']the fact that he kept refering to Japanese as jap. I thought it was funny.[/QUOTE]
JAP (usually all caps) is a widely recognized and used abbreviation for Japanese-region products. You're not clever by comparing it to the racial slur.

Pretty much all companies in the US and Japan will use the abbreviation JPN if they have to abbreviate. I have seen "jap" used by British companies, no doubt because they didn't realize that it could be problematic. Individuals on message boards and the like may use it, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

By the way, I have a white Japanese PSP and haven't had any problems with it. I didn't think the lack of US UMD support would bother me, but with all the $5 UMD sales recently, it would be nice if I could view them on both of my PSPs. Still, it is a very nice looking unit and I don't regret getting it.

There is, but I am running the standard firmware on my white PSP. I'm not even sure if it's possible to install OE FW on it, since it's running the latest official FW. It's not a big deal for me. I'd rather ensure complete compatibility with any future firmware updates that Sony will put out.

Does the OE FW even work with the JPN PSP's? I might consider gettin a different colored PSP.

Couldn't I just change the front faceplate? Anyone have a site link to places that sell faceplates for the PSP?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Does the OE FW even work with the JPN PSP's?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it would, as long as they have a firmware version that works with it.

[quote name='icruise']There is, but I am running the standard firmware on my white PSP. I'm not even sure if it's possible to install OE FW on it, since it's running the latest official FW. It's not a big deal for me. I'd rather ensure complete compatibility with any future firmware updates that Sony will put out.[/quote]

I have a white psp running 3.0.3 e-c, and a blue running 3.10 OE-A'. It's all the same thing. The only thing you don't get is cross-region movie support.

[quote name='dragonjud']I have a white psp running 3.0.3 e-c, and a blue running 3.10 OE-A'. It's all the same thing. The only thing you don't get is cross-region movie support.[/quote]

Oh, so the region bypass option in the recovery menu doesn't work for UMD Movies? I don't watch em anymore, since I throw eveything on my sticks anyways, but it'd still be nice to know I wouldn't have any limitations.

[quote name='62t']It is offensive to Japanese Americans and not necessary to people of Japan. Beside, there are many american and european developer as well.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Toooootally missed the point there. I think Japanese people may be offended too, even if they aren't "Japanese-Americans." Also, I said "nearly all" of the games we play. I'm pretty sure that's accurate enough.

Not that Wikipedia is the be-all-end-all source for info, but..

"In Japanese dictionaries, the term Jap is only defined as a disparaging term used against the Japanese people, like it is the case in many English language dictionaries."

[/offtopic]

I have a black US PSP, white JP PSP, and a blue JP PSP. I have a hard time using the US one after using either import one for a while because the buttons feel so different and the d-pad feels weak on the US one in comparison.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Oh, so the region bypass option in the recovery menu doesn't work for UMD Movies? I don't watch em anymore, since I throw eveything on my sticks anyways, but it'd still be nice to know I wouldn't have any limitations.[/quote]

Nope, they don't work. It's a known limitation, and don't believe those that tell you otherwise.

[quote name='dragonjud']Nope, they don't work. It's a known limitation, and don't believe those that tell you otherwise.[/quote]

Ahhh ok thanks.

PERSONAL OPINION: Blue

Blue looks nice (I have one) and silver looks kinda cheap. It looks like the quality of a wavebird looking at my friend's. He has the gold and silver and both look lame to me.

[quote name='foundation']PERSONAL OPINION: Blue

Blue looks nice (I have one) and silver looks kinda cheap. It looks like the quality of a wavebird looking at my friend's. He has the gold and silver and both look lame to me.[/quote]

anyway you could take a pic of it i have not seen a single pic of it besides a promo shot

[quote name='AshesofWake']the blue is badass, im going towards that one. It's like a metallic shiny sexy color[/quote]

are you going to get it from super?

bread's done
Back