Going to be in NYC for 1 day. What to do?

Considering your shortage of time, I'd say just eat pizza for 8 hours straight. You'll never know when you'll get another opportunity to enjoy NYC pizza.

Edit: maybe a dessert of Chinese food, too

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='c0rnpwn']Considering your shortage of time, I'd say just eat pizza for 8 hours straight. You'll never know when you'll get another opportunity to enjoy NYC pizza.

Edit: maybe a dessert of Chinese food, too[/QUOTE]

NYC pizza is all crap unless you go to brooklyn or the bronx. If you get it at sbarros around penn station, you will pay up the ass for regular pizza.

53rd street/between 6th and 7th ave. there's a little cart that serves rice and meat. Some people call it BLC (bin ladens corner, fucked up) but I call it platters or fifty third. It's just rice with meat (choice of chicken/beef/lamb) with white sauce (???) and hot sauce (this shit is really serious) at $6. You will know it's the one because theres a usually a line long as hell ALL the time. When I go there, I get like 4-6 of them. It's that good.

It's so weird cause there are little vendor carts all over the city that do platters but it's not the same as fifty third.

Also hit up barcode (arcade in times square) a 24 hr arcade for adults. Sure the games are like $5 a piece but it's NY.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']NYC pizza is all crap unless you go to brooklyn or the bronx. If you get it at sbarros around penn station, you will pay up the ass for regular pizza.

53rd street/between 6th and 7th ave. there's a little cart that serves rice and meat. Some people call it BLC (bin ladens corner, fucked up) but I call it platters or fifty third. It's just rice with meat (choice of chicken/beef/lamb) with white sauce (???) and hot sauce (this shit is really serious) at $6. You will know it's the one because theres a usually a line long as hell ALL the time. When I go there, I get like 4-6 of them. It's that good.

It's so weird cause there are little vendor carts all over the city that do platters but it's not the same as fifty third.

Also hit up barcode (arcade in times square) a 24 hr arcade for adults. Sure the games are like $5 a piece but it's NY.[/QUOTE]

Woah woah woah, who said anything about a chain like Sbarros? Get the man some pizzeria pizza, something that's folded, delicious. Whether it be from Manhattan, the Bx, or Brooklyn!

Some of the best NYC pizza is in Manhattan so I don't know what that guy is talking about.

PIZZA:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/rays-pizza-new-york-2

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bleecker-street-pizza-new-york

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johns-pizzeria-new-york-4

http://www.yelp.com/biz/grimaldis-brooklyn

mmmm I'm starving..there are a lot of great places to eat from.

Go to Chinatown and get a real sense of Chinese culture, Little Italy (great food), Central Park (Strawberry Fields), Ralph's Italian Ice. The Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island may be too far to venture to but really amazing and I'd recommend going there. American Museum of Natural History, Yankees Stadium/Museum. A lot of great places to go.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Platters on 53rd and 6th! But go after 9pm for the good stuff, and make sure to get the white crack sauce. Also you have to go to Carnagie Deli on 55th and 7th for their AMAZING cheesecake! For pizza go to Koronet's on 110th and Broadway. Freakin massive slices for $3.

The mention of Sbarro's in this thread is hilarious. Like in the Office when Michael went to NY and his favorite "local spot" was a Sbarro's.

I only mentioned sbarros cause that's what most people see when coming to manhattan. They get out of penn station hungry as hell and see a sbarros thinking its pizza from new york (it technically is but isn't!). Hell, I even did it.
So many times I would try a new pizza spot and there was nothing special about it. I suppose the prerequisites for NYC pizza are that the slice must be bigger than your head and the best topping is just cheese.

It's the dough, it's the sauce, it's the flavorful toppings added on, and water used to make the pizza. Like Grimaldi's it says they use some old-style brick oven that adds to their flavor. I've had Sbarro's in malls before, it's good pizza but not NYC pizza.

I always thought everyone folded their pizza to eat it, but I heard different on the Food Network, they said it's a New York style of eating it. They interviewed some people from like California to see if they fold their pizza NY style.. the person responded "No I'm not a fatass I don't need to shove the whole thing in my mouth" That had me cracking up because I thought everyone folded it. I was almost insulted but the ignorance made me laugh.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']"No I'm not a fatass I don't need to shove the whole thing in my mouth" That had me cracking up because I thought everyone folded it. I was almost insulted but the ignorance made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Didn't everyone watch teenage mutant ninja turtles the movie? The first 5 minutes depicted what a NYC pizza should look like and how to eat it. I also thought folding it was the normal way. If you didn't the slice would collapse on itself unless you cradled it like a baby.

Pretty sure Barcode closed...

There is a Dave & Busters though. Go to Coney Island. Wait, too cold.
Try Central Park, Botanical Gardens (if they are open this time of the year), the zoo if they are open, Empire State Building (costs an arm and a leg though), any of the bars in lower Manhattan, hot dog stands, tv studios, etc.

If I only had 8 hours in NYC, eating a great meal at NYC's best would be my top priority.

How big is your budget? If it is small then John's Pizzeria is fucking amazing, as SMITTYBLAZE suggested.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johns-pizzeria-new-york-4

If your budget is big, try to get a lunch reservation at Peter Luger Steakhouse. You need reservations months in advance for dinner hours but you might be lucky and get a lunch reservation if you are visiting on a weekday. Take it even if it is at an odd hour like 3:30 PM. It is in Brooklyn but worth the trip!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/peter-luger-steak-house-brooklyn

How do struggling artists afford to live in NY? How does ANYBODY afford to live in NY?

Isn't an apartment the size of a janitor closet double the price of what a nice 1bdroom costs in the midwest?

[quote name='2DMention']How do struggling artists afford to live in NY? How does ANYBODY afford to live in NY?

Isn't an apartment the size of a janitor closet double the price of what a nice 1bdroom costs in the midwest?[/QUOTE]

I lived in NY for quite some time, and I'll say this:

Most jobs pay more. There are more opportunities for side work, or under the table jobs. If you've been living somewhere for quite some time, your rent may not have gone up much since the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.

Clothes, games, etc. are all cheaper, because of the increased competition. Heck, if you want bootleg anything or stolen anything (not that I recommend either), you can go to a street corner vendor and get such for dirt cheap.

If its not that cold out I'd say turn up the Ipod, and take a walk. Start from Lower Manhattan area around Wall Street, Battery Park City, or Hudson River Park and just walk straight ahead.

If you take all Broadway (or plot a route on Google maps) you can see Chinatown, SoHo, Union Square, Chelsea, Harold Square, Koreatown, Times Square, Columbus Circle, Lincoln Center, and Central Park in about 2 - 3 hours depending on how fast you walk and foot traffic.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']

It's so weird cause there are little vendor carts all over the city that do platters but it's not the same as fifty third.[/QUOTE]

+1 from me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/53rd_and_6th
Someone even created a wiki for it.

bread's done
Back