Going to NYC-Deals in Times Square?

Azumangaman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (99%)
Hey guys,
I'm going to NYC, and will be in Times Square on Dec.2
Just wondering what electronic stores were there, and what deals are out now? Speaking for DVDS/GAMES/MOVIES.

Thanks guys,
Azumangaman

In the Times Square area there is not much in the way of stores with many deals. You can go to Virgin Megastore and they always have a ton of 10 dollar cds and dvds, and they are also pretty good about having Wiis in stock. Other than that you should check out the Nintendo World Store at Rockefellar center, not for the deals, but because it is a great place to visit as a gamer.

Pretty much what Nibi said: Virgin Megastore's good for a browse, and Nintendo World Store (technically in Rockefeller Center, not Times Square) is good for a visit. Ninty World might also interest you if you're looking for collectables (or a Wii).

The Times Square Toys R Us might be worth a look as well, depending on what's on sale/clearance at the time.

There are some independent DVD stores just west of Times Square on 8th Avenue. Most of them mainly deal in pr0n, but there's one I know of (on 46th and 8th) that has a good selection of movies, TV shows, etc., and the prices are fairly decent. I do remember them having some anime DVDs on sale last time I was there. Haven't been there in awhile, though.

If you don't mind buying used, there's a fantastic store called Book-Off on 41st Street (from Times Square: walk east on 42nd until you get to 5th, then make a right, then a left on 41st). They sell plenty of used American and Japanese books, DVDs, and CDs. A big plus about this store is that they only take stuff that's in PRISTINE condition, so you don't have to worry so much about scratches and the like.

If you walk north up 5th Ave., there's a Best Buy. As with TRU, YMMV.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

[quote name='blueshinra']
If you don't mind buying used, there's a fantastic store called Book-Off on 41st Street (from Times Square: walk east on 42nd until you get to 5th, then make a right, then a left on 41st). They sell plenty of used American and Japanese books, DVDs, and CDs. A big plus about this store is that they only take stuff that's in PRISTINE condition, so you don't have to worry so much about scratches and the like.[/quote]Oh, man, Book-Off!! I spent 6 weeks in Kanazawa, Japan, when I was a freshman ('04) and Book-Off was like a slice of heaven on earth. Tons of used game soundtracks/guides/games, dirt cheap. And in typical Japanese fashion, everything used was in immaculate shape, and if it wasn't, then it was priced next to nothing.

Thanks for reviving that bit of nostalgia in me :) It got me rather excited actually.

Already been said, but not anything too special in Times Square. Video Games New York on 6th Street and Third Ave. is a neat little store with a lot of retro stuff as well as imports. Chinatown also has a few interesting shops for imports, but are a bit on the expensive side. Initial D in the Elizabeth Center and J & L on Elizabeth and Canal come to mind.

For DVDs, check out J & R downtown. They have a pretty incredible DVD selection and good prices too.

EDIT: Just realized the date.....you have probably come and gone by now.

Eh... just posting in case anyone is gonna go to NYC and searching the boards:

No deals and not much game-related but....
Kinokuniya moved away from Rockefeller Center. I believe it's across of Bryant Park, between 40th and 41st, on 6th ave. Much more roomier.
Midtown Comics is OK... at 40th, between 7th and 8th. If you're really gonna travel around the city, Jim Hanley's at 33rd is worth going, a real cramped game store (Video Games New York) at E6th and a small, very japanese toy store a few stores away from that (Toy Zipangu), KidRobot, Toytokyo, GiantRobot, MyPlasticHeart, AudioCubes...
Check out yelp.com for reviews if you want.

awesome list.
what are some good used game stores in the city (I'm sick of Gamestop's retarded pricing).

[quote name='txonil']a real cramped game store (Video Games New York) at E6th and a small, very japanese toy store a few stores away from that (Toy Zipangu)[/QUOTE]
Do you have addresses/more information for those? I maintain a NYC anime shopping guide and would like to add them.

Hello!

I'm going to NYC on Saturday and my boyfriend asked me for a Nintendo DS Lite. Do you know which stores sells it cheaper near Times Square?
I found Nintendo World Store, Wal*Mart and Best Buy, but dunno their prices.
Can you help me?

Thank you very much :)

Just check online. Unless CircuitCity or BestBuy is having a sale, usually the system doesn't have any discounts.

The Nintendo World does have engravings for the DS for $20.

Well, I know it retails for 129,99$ but I can't find Nintendo's World Store prices anywhere. Do you know if the price is the same?

Thanks for helping!

[quote name='kikaas']Well, I know it retails for 129,99$ but I can't find Nintendo's World Store prices anywhere. Do you know if the price is the same?

Thanks for helping![/QUOTE]
Ninty World's prices are the same (hardly anything ever goes on sale at that store). However, if you're willing to shell out extra, they do engravings and also carry Japanese DSes.

I like this topic! I rarely head out to the city but when i do, most of the time, i'm around Times Square (either there or the Bronx or Flushing). So next time I head out there, i'll check out some of these stores. Especially Book Off.

[quote name='yellowb']awesome list.
what are some good used game stores in the city (I'm sick of Gamestop's retarded pricing).[/quote]

Gamestop? Never walk in the place myself. It's a complete rip off no matter where the store.

In the city I usually go to Entertainment Outlet (On 40th between 5th & 6th) for good deals. They have tons of really cheap used dvds and their used game prices are quite reasonable.

They just don't have too many nextgen (I guess it's current gen now) stuff, mostly ps2 & psp. I do see a couple of wii and 360 titles in the used box from time to time.

Just a warning: I have had to use my discdoctor on a couple of dvds I bought from there. Never had any problems with the games.

If you're NYC, and you want to go to a gamestop (there's at least 10 GS in manhattan), the one to go to is on broadway between astor place and 8th street (take the R, W to 8th street and either walk north if you take the Waverly Pl exit, or south if you take the 8th street exit).

The people who work there are awesome; very friendly and knowledgeable (I've had conversations about Shin Megami Tensei and Rhapsody with two of the people working there). Everything is pretty much in alphabetical order almost all the time, too which makes finding games quite easy. Overall, out of all of the GS I've been too, this one is the closet to having a indie game shop feel.

Not much in deals though, as it is a GS.

[quote name='blueshinra']Do you have addresses/more information for those? I maintain a NYC anime shopping guide and would like to add them.[/QUOTE]

Toy Zipangu
206 East 6th Street
New York, NY
http://www.toyzipangu.com/
http://www.myspace.com/toyzipangu
http://stores.ebay.com/TOY-ZIPANGU
Great store if anyone is into Saint Seiya.

Video Games New York
202 East 6th Street
New York, NY
http://www.videogamesnewyork.com/
You'll find old systems (Atari, Commodore 64, Game n Watch, and older ones I don't even know...), used games (especially a wall full of NES, SNES), some import games, and current systems that they have in stock. Prices are kinda steep though.

These cramp stores are close to each other and you should give them a visit!
Your site is awesome btw! I always wanted a site that has all these game/japanese/anime/toys stores in a list.
There's also a video game store called Bonus Stage, but it's in Astoria, Queens. I heard that it's really cool but I have yet to visit it. Maybe you can check it out.
EDIT: Found a link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bonus-stage...hrid:POBeK_Yl-9E8X6dLm0pZfg/query:video games

[quote name='superdry']If you're NYC, and you want to go to a gamestop (there's at least 10 GS in manhattan), the one to go to is on broadway between astor place and 8th street (take the R, W to 8th street and either walk north if you take the Waverly Pl exit, or south if you take the 8th street exit).[/QUOTE]

I second.
(6 train to Astor Pl is also close to the store.)

This is very helpful, as I'll be going to NYC for the first time in a few weeks. It's great to get some links to cool stores.

txonil: Thanks for the info! I'll update the list soon.

I've been maintaining that anime shopping list for some years now. There used to be a really awesome one back around 1999-2000, but it had become really outdated; inspired me to make mine :)

[quote name='superdry']If you're NYC, and you want to go to a gamestop (there's at least 10 GS in manhattan), the one to go to is on ...[/quote]
The whole point is we don't want to go to gamestop.
This is the Cheap Ass Gamer site right?

If you want to go as far as Flushing (last stop on the 7 line, just past She Stadium) you can find some really great deals at the little video game shops by the subway station. I'll warn you: the guy with the best prices is a total wack job (I think he's on drugs and not the good kind, the anti-psychotic kind) but if you're willing to deal with the fruitcakes at gamestop, you can put up with this guy (either paranoid lunatic or nodding off), he has the best prices on used games and wont charge you tax for new games & systems.

The store is small and has the same awning from 4 owners ago but it's on Main street right by the corner of Northern (the corner with Kennedy Fried Chicken; two or three stores away; yes it's called Kennedy Fried Chicken). There were a couple of other good ones but the guy in busy town got deported I think and the other store apparently moved but I haven't found them again.

[quote name='GonzoGamer']The whole point is we don't want to go to gamestop.

If you want to go as far as Flushing (last stop on the 7 line, just past She Stadium) you can find some really great deals at the little video game shops by the subway station. I'll warn you: the guy with the best prices is a total wack job (I think he's on drugs and not the good kind, the anti-psychotic kind) but if you're willing to deal with the fruitcakes at gamestop, you can put up with this guy (either paranoid lunatic or nodding off), he has the best prices on used games and wont charge you tax for new games & systems.

The store is small and has the same awning from 4 owners ago but it's on Main street right by the corner of Northern (the corner with Kennedy Fried Chicken; two or three stores away; yes it's called Kennedy Fried Chicken). There were a couple of other good ones but the guy in busy town got deported I think and the other store apparently moved but I haven't found them again.[/quote]

Is it where Games "F" Us used to be? (Yes, that was the name -- they changed the 'R' to an 'F' after a cease & desist letter from TRU)

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Is it where Games "F" Us used to be? (Yes, that was the name -- they changed the 'R' to an 'F' after a cease & desist letter from TRU)[/quote]
That's the place.
I'm guessing there's a similar story behind the naming of Kennedy/Crown/King/Constipation Fried Chicken.

Do you know where the game place around the corner from them (The guys who were on Northern) went to? They had some good prices too.

[quote name='GonzoGamer']That's the place.
I'm guessing there's a similar story behind the naming of Kennedy/Crown/King/Constipation Fried Chicken.

Do you know where the game place around the corner from them (The guys who were on Northern) went to? They had some good prices too.[/quote]

Oh wait -- Games "F" Us was the place on Northern. I know the other place you mean, though.

Not really sure where they went -- passed by a few weeks ago for the first time in many years (after stopping at the new Red Mango that opened).

[quote name='GonzoGamer']The whole point is we don't want to go to gamestop.

The store is small and has the same awning from 4 owners ago but it's on Main street right by the corner of Northern (the corner with Kennedy Fried Chicken; two or three stores away; yes it's called Kennedy Fried Chicken). There were a couple of other good ones but the guy in busy town got deported I think and the other store apparently moved but I haven't found them again.[/quote]

That's why i said if you *want* to go to a GS in manhattan...

Hmm...yea, Games R' Us hasn't been around for a while (that's where I bought the cartridge with save memory to play a bunch of import saturn games which was 10 years ago). I think the storefront became some cellphone place.

I'm still surprised the store on Main Street a few doors down from the chicken place is still there. I haven't wandered Flushing, main street since high school.

Well least year I went near Ground Zero w/ my visiting cousins. There was some store there and they sold games like $30-50 off their original price. It is a great store and I found Wii Play there when it was hard to find. Also HC: Civil War was $60 back then. I got it for $20:p

There used to be a Book Off where I live (Hartsdale, NY), although I'm not sure if it's still there, as I hardly am in NY anymore now that I am a PhD student. I loved some of their import CDs that they had though, I managed to nab a Japanese copy of Stratovarius's "Elements" and a Japanese copy of Muse's "Showbiz" a few years back.

Now that Video Games New York is under different ownership though, I've had almost no reason to go into the city for cheap games. The only other place I've managed to get cheap games is the Times Square Toys 'R Us, where I scored a few cheap PSP games and a 360 Premium for $300 with a $100 gift card.

I'm going to be going into the City soon and was wondering if anyone knows if Book Off carries Blu Ray movies?

I've never seen Blu-Ray movies at Book-Off, though I suspect it's just a matter of time...

Went to Video Games New York for the first time recently. Damn that place is expensive, but it was really cool to see all the old (and import) consoles and games.

Mr.Bojangles: What place by Ground Zero are you talking about? J&R is the only place I can think of near there that sells a lot of games, but they sell them at retail price (though there is the odd bargain or two).

bread's done
Back