Going to talk to my new grad school program director. Need tips!

Lazer77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
I graduated from college a few weeks ago and I have been accepted to a graduate school program in a place 3 hours away from where I live. This Monday, I have an appointment to meet face to face for the first time with the graduate program director. I am one of the 15 new graduate students that were accepted into the program this semester. I know she is expecting me to ask questions, but in all reality, the only remaining questions that concern me are financial related (particularly loans), which she will not be able to answer.

I know it sounds bad, but I don't really have more than two questions to ask :lol:... what kind of questions should I ask her to "look good" for the program, so I make a good first impression. I am charismatic and I am not worrying about how I behave, but I truly have no more questions to ask her.

Another quick question, what do you think I should wear? Slacks and a dress shirt? Maybe its just me but that seems overly formal. I am thinking slacks and a nice black solid polo tucked in, I will make it look nice, but I think a long sleeve button down shirt will look really over the top.

What do you guys think? Tips and suggestions please.

Ask about possible upcoming opportunities that may be open to you. How about what professor may be looking for an assistant or if their goals may interest you. It is never too early to get your foot in the door towards bigger and better things.

As for what to wear, I have no clue, but wearing nothing only works if you look good.

Khakis / Tucked-In Polo / Belt

Don't just ask about research, check the school's / department's website and find what they are currently researching, find which one interests you the most, and ask about it and how to get involved.

Or, if you have your own plans for a particular thesis, open that discussion, if you do thesis at all.

As for funding, you have three options:

Research (in which funding comes from outside sources and may not always be available)

Teaching Assistant (in which funding comes from the department, will be split amongst all candidates, and may be very little for the work you put in, as well as additional work beyond your coursework).

Work professionally under your undergrad degree, and find a company that will pay for your grad school (what I'm currently doing for Aerospace Engineering).

As for loans, I can probably answer those for you. Unlike undergraduate, Graduate students have larger access to Federal Student Loans. You will likely find them capable of paying off your entire grad school, have low interest, and be 50/50 between Subsidized and Unsubsidized (Does not collect interest while in school / Collects interest while in school). Double check into this, but that was what it was for my situation, although I ultimately did not need it after getting hired by my company after my first semester.

Also, you mentioned the school was 3 hours away, are you commuting, planning on living on campus, or can you do a lot of the work from home? I currently work full time, and last semester I commuted 1 hour, 4 days a week to reach my university. It was hell. Take daily travel time into account when you consider your course load and living arrangements.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Khakis / Tucked-In Polo / Belt[/QUOTE]
And don't forget the Target nametag.

~Brak

I live 3 hours away but I will be moving within 10 minutes of the school soon :]

But thanks for the tips! When I get back from work in a few hours I will start compiling a list of good things to ask.

What is the point of a psychology graduate degree anyway? Another $40k of school so you can have a few extra letters behind your name? It's not like it enables you to make more as a therapist.

[quote name='eldergamer']What is the point of a psychology graduate degree anyway? Another $40k of school so you can have a few extra letters behind your name? It's not like it enables you to make more as a therapist.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what branch of psychology you're in. I'm working towards my PhD in Educational Psychology concentrating in testing which will allow me to make more then 40k.:)

So far my questions:
1) There is a requirement to take at least one summer class, I want to know more about that
2) Is there any required independent research to do, and more info on that.
3) More information about assistantships (I applied, what next?)
4) How big will the class size be?
5) I want to get my PhD in the future, I want it to be sponsored by my job, what are the odds of that?
6) When should I register for classes and when do they start?
7) Who should I contact if I need to speak with an adviser

Regarding "class size" - I would inquire about how many grad students in your area there are - generally - at any given time. I saw you said 15 "new" students. Grad students who have been there for a couple years can generally be very helpful.
State interest in assisting/research and are interested in publishing/co-publishing/etc.
Inquire about connections the program has with companies where you might intern/volunteer.
May ask to meet some faculty if that hasn't already been set up for you.
As was mentioned, discuss the program's current research focus if there is one and discuss your personal interests regarding research topic(s).

My niece just got her phd in psychology from Georgetown (just graduated Friday I think it was.) She did some intern work with the FBI and is currently living/working in Philly. She focused on juveniles in the criminal justice system in her studies.

Those are a good set of questions.

Asking about research opportunities is very important--especially if you want the Ph D.

It's key to get research experience and publications while in grad school--at least if you plan to use the Ph D for an academic job.

Not to mention that that's the way to get a foot in the door and get assistantships to play for tuition and a salary for you while in school if you're in a program that doesn't automatically provide assistantships for every student they admit.

Hey congrats to your niece! And thanks guys! This info is awesome, I am making a pad of questions now for my meeting tomorrow.

bread's done
Back