Going traveling by plane, any tips?

muncle

CAGiversary!
Ok. So I haven't been on a plane since I was around 2 years old. Haven't even been near one in recent memories.. I'm 20 now, and assuming things have changed A LOT.

What can I expect to happen? Any tips for security checks and stuff?

I'm going from Texas to Quebec, with a connecting flight in Toronto, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Are you Middle-Eastern/looking? If so, expect a "random inspection".

Try and be as quick as you can. When waiting to get to security checks, have your ID out so you can get quickly verified. At security, put your keys/metals in the bowl, shoes off, etc. You do NOT want to waste time in security.

For domestic, I'd recommend getting 1.5 hrs early. International (does Canada count exactly as "international"? I guess so), even earlier.

The flight sounds long. If you can't get by on cheap snacks and small beverages on the plane (expect pretzels and maybe something else, but not a meal by any means), you might want to buy some food at the airport restaurants and take it with you on the plane.

The one thing I always do is, when I'm about to enter the security line I put everything in my pockets into my backpack, including my wallet, and I take off my belt. So when I get to the medical detector the only slowing me down is the person infront of me.

I am flying out of DFW airport (not Love field DFW), and flying Air Canada. And to Moxio, LOL no I'm not
middle eastern looking - just a regular dude looking kind of guy.
I already heard of using a plastic zip lock bag to put all my pocket-things (wallet, etc) to put into those bins for faster checks, but other than that, I am an airport noob.

no water bottles or liquids / gels / paste in contains of more than 4 oz.

check in bags that won't fit overheard (usually the size of a small roller)

other than that, it ain't rocket science.

you WILL need your passport to get to Canada now.

- Travel light. One carry on and one check in. Also make sure you can walk around comfortably carrying both. I recommend backpack and duffle bag combo. Less to keep track of and very handy especially if you're using public transportation once you arrive.
- Put everything in your carry on bag and "re-equip" yourself after you get through security. Once you get through all the check points you'll have plenty of time to put yourself back together.
- Wear shoes you can slip off/on easily. I hate the jerk who holds up the line to tie and untie his shoes.
- Have food. Traveling hungry sucks. Keep backup food in your carry on as well. First thing to buy past security are a couple bottles of overpriced water.
- Don't bring too many small electronics. Its a pain to keep track of and you'll always wonder in the back of your mind if you may have dropped something. One thing to entertain yourself on the plane will be fine, but also think long and hard if you'll really use it.
- Be tired. My last couple flights I've taken were 7-8AM flights and I would stay up the whole night and sleep the whole flight. By the time I got to my destination I was well rested and ready to go :lol: Actually might not be a good idea since you have a connecting flight.
- Since you do have a connecting flight, head straight to the next gate to see how much spare time you have. THEN take a pit stop, look around the airport a bit to kill time, etc.

Try not to carry anything in your pocket, dont wear a belt if you can help it, and wear shoes that slip on/off rather easily. Also, put a tag with your name/phone # on your luggage before you check it at ticket counter. It's a good idea to put something else on your bag that will allow you to identify it (and more importantly let others know it doesnt belong to them) at the luggage pick up carousel.

[quote name='cindersphere']Don't board the plane that crashes[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, I'll try not to.

Now as far as bringing a laptop, does anybody out there have any tips for that? I mean, I'm just gonna bring it to be able to empty out my SD card from my camera, from time to time. So, I'll probably only use it while waiting for my connecting flight and not on the plane itself... I mean, I am going to be in Quebec for around a month and half!

the less you have to keep you entertained on the plane the better..

for instance.. the only thing I would have on a flight is some pocket candy/gum and an Ipod/hopefully with more then just solitare on it.. and then maybe a book or something like that.. but with ipod you can load that sucker up with books/movies/music.. to keep you well entertained..

i made the mistake with having an ipod/gameboy/gum/wallet.. you don't need money on the flight (unless you get one of those weird ones where they CHARGE for soda) but you don't really need it..

i packed as light as possible using mostly my one duffle bag for the overhead compartment..

anyways.. have fun.. i enjoyed flying .. i went from SLC to Chicago to Charlotte NC.. it was a fun day.. on the way back.. we went to Las Vegas then to SLC.. fun times..

1. REMEMBER the relatively new, ridiculous liquid rule! The only liquids that can be in carry-on luggage MUST be placed in a QUART-SIZED ziploc bag, and all liquids in the bag must be 3 oz or less each (I've heard 3.4 oz or less and 3 oz or less from various sources, I'd be safe and go with nothing more than 3 oz). The bag needs to be placed outside of any carry-ons in plain sight when going through security. If you fuck up on this rule, despite how ridiculous it is, TSA will probably be very rude to you.

2. Most airlines now charge $25 extra for having 2 checked bags of luggage instead of 1, so try to consolidate, because you have to be a cheapass if you're on this site. ;) Southwest does NOT do this if you're traveling on them.

3. You NEED a passport to get into Canada now.

4. Do NOT put your electronics or computer in checked luggage. They will either get tossed around or stolen.

5. Be sure to get to the airport early in case of any delays, which are likely since you're a noob.

The rule is 3 oz of gel or liquid.

And OP, I forgot to mention before, make sure to have plenty of $5 bills at the ready. (the cost of alcoholic beverages on the plane)

[quote name='bigdaddy']Don't go to Logan, ever. fucking idiots work in Boston.
[/QUOTE]

Logan is way more pleasant and well-managed than TF Green. Though that could be because Southwest doesn't fly out of Logan, and they fuck things up good over in Providence.

Good stuff already.

Put any liquid stuff in your checked bags. Only check one bag unless you know your airline doesn't charge for 2. The weight limits have also gotten lower on most airlines lately. So if your airline DOES allow two bags consider having an empty duffel in your bag in case you need to lighten your per bag load. Don't lock your checked bag. Best to put a sheet of paper inside your bag with your name and cell#/address in case your luggage is lost and the baggage tag is ripped off.

[rant]It's ridiculous that you'll get charged out the ass for one 65 lb bag but a 40 and a 25 lb bag = no problem. :roll:[/rant]

[quote name='Zen Davis']Keep an eye out for gremlins on the wings trying to sabotage the engine.

I'm serious.[/quote]
I thought they only messed with bus wheels. I'll need to keep an eye out from now on. Sheesh! Freakin' gremlins!

Oh, and don't bring Tang or H2O2. And certainly not both. And shave. And don't speak Arabic in line at security.

bread's done
Back