Gold disc versus silver disc?

PocariSweat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I was purchasing House of the Dead III the other day at Game Stop and I asked to see the condition of the disc. They had two discs and one disc was gold and the other was silver on the bottom side. What is up with that? Is there a difference? Thanks.

Silver is a CD and Gold is a DVD. I am pretty sure that is what it is, probably one has like a demo on it and so they bumped up to DVD and the other one doesn't so it is on a CD.

[quote name='darthbudge']Silver is a CD and Gold is a DVD. I am pretty sure that is what it is, probably one has like a demo on it and so they bumped up to DVD and the other one doesn't so it is on a CD.[/quote]

Probably, most of the older Xbox games were gold discs then later on they started using silver discs for games. Probably just cost cutting in manufacturing.

I thought that all xbox games came on dvd format, regardless of the size of the game (or that all xbox games were >650MB, and therefore shipped on dvds)?

The gold vs. silver could just be a manufacturing difference, like tangy said, in order to cut costs. Just a guess though.

No, at least some silver discs are CDs. I know this cause I do Xbox Modding and often make backups of my games and games like Mech Assault are under 700MBs and is on the silver disc and could CloneCDed directly onto a CD. But that is one of the few games that comes on CDs. Most every game since launch comes on DVDs just because most games just can't fit on a CD.

[quote name='akilshohen']with nothing compressed? That's kinda hard to believe seeing how DC games can be burned. I'm not doubting you though[/quote]

Some Xbox and PS2 games are quite small, uncompressed. It just depends on how many space heavy assets are used, typically movie files and sound take up the most space. Fighting games are often small because they're ports of arcade games with no movie files and just sound clips of grunts and hadoukens.

I remember reading somewhere that Lego Star wars (the first?) is a CD game for both xbox and ps2

but to stay on topic, i think the same content is featured on both discs so go with the gold...its more valuable :cool:

bread's done
Back