Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS) $19.99 @ Amazon (GS Price Match)

donny2112

CAGiversary!
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)

61JaozhNvxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably price-matched from the GameStop sale.

[quote name='juanawoman']I want to play it, but you have to sink so much time into a RPG to fully enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

But the goal isn't to beat the game, it's to have fun. Hence, in the same 30-hour time frame, you can have fun playing one 30-hour RPG or have fun playing five 6-hour FPS's. It should all be equivalent.

Me, I'll switch around. Sometimes playing several short games in a row can feel just as tiresome as playing an epic RPG for 100 hours. So change it up every now and then.

Yea I feel like good RPGs really grab you and the hours you put in don't feel as long as they are where as those typical short campaign games sometimes feel like they take a lot out of you if you beat it in one sitting.

I have found, however, that I've really grown out of handheld RPGs because the only time my handhelds get any use anymore is when I take public transportation and those short travel periods are only good for games like Advance Wars and the like. Still, I'm really interested to find another really good DS game to pour my time into since I've just been whipping out my Chrono Trigger whenever I've felt an urge to go sit outside somewhere and play.

[quote name='gotdott']Yea I feel like good RPGs really grab you and the hours you put in don't feel as long as they are where as those typical short campaign games sometimes feel like they take a lot out of you if you beat it in one sitting.

I have found, however, that I've really grown out of handheld RPGs because the only time my handhelds get any use anymore is when I take public transportation and those short travel periods are only good for games like Advance Wars and the like. Still, I'm really interested to find another really good DS game to pour my time into since I've just been whipping out my Chrono Trigger whenever I've felt an urge to go sit outside somewhere and play.[/QUOTE]

I recommend it. Dark Dawn isn't as good as the GBA games, but it's a solid game. If you really enjoyed the GBA games, then you'll enjoy this one. A little too easy though, and the menu could've been implemented better.

[quote name='AsobiSeksu']I recommend it. Dark Dawn isn't as good as the GBA games, but it's a solid game. If you really enjoyed the GBA games, then you'll enjoy this one. A little too easy though, and the menu could've been implemented better.[/QUOTE]

What exactly makes it not as good? I'm just wondering if it's worth buying. I loved the first 2 and don't know if I want to get this game as it will be a huge time sink for me.

The second Golden Sun has a perfect 5 star rating on Amazon, so I wasn't expecting the new one to be THAT good.

Damn I wish I had more time for RPGS or I'd be all over this.

[quote name='DarkRider23']What exactly makes it not as good? I'm just wondering if it's worth buying. I loved the first 2 and don't know if I want to get this game as it will be a huge time sink for me.[/QUOTE]

From what I gather, it's still very much a Golden Sun game, including all the series' strengths and weakness. In other words: if you loved the first two, then this is just more of the same but w/ 3D graphics; and if you found the first two easy and boring, then, well, same goes for this one.

I'm knee-deep in Trails In the Sky on the PSP, so I'm gonna pass this one buy. Besides, I'm not allowed to buy another DS RPG until I finish DQ IX, which is the best JRPG on the system BY FAR.

[quote name='DarkRider23']What exactly makes it not as good? I'm just wondering if it's worth buying. I loved the first 2 and don't know if I want to get this game as it will be a huge time sink for me.[/QUOTE]

It may just be my age, but I enjoyed RPG games so much more as a kid/teenager. I thought a lot of the puzzles were ridiculously easy, and I liked the soundtrack more from GS 1&2. The boss battles were really easy, as random battles give you more experience it seems. Standbying all your djinn, then summoning them will take care of pretty much all the bosses until the end. I haven't needed to heal hp once during battle (except the ending). This is key so I'll put in caps: NO BACKTRACKING. This means if you forget a djinn, you won't ever be able to get them - there's a few no-turning back points you should be aware of. This also means no going back to cities you've visited before. Psynergy charges fast (this I like) but isn't really useful because battles/bosses are easy anyways. You'll run around with full PP most the time.

You get more djinn, which is fun for experimenting, but you'll have an unequal amount of djinn for each element until near the end. Not really a bad thing, but you won't be in your base classes for long unless you purposely standby the extras. The story is good, I won't get into detail about that. Overall, I really enjoyed it, very nostalgic. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

[quote name='AsobiSeksu']It may just be my age, but I enjoyed RPG games so much more as a kid/teenager. I thought a lot of the puzzles were ridiculously easy, and I liked the soundtrack more from GS 1&2. The boss battles were really easy, as random battles give you more experience it seems. Standbying all your djinn, then summoning them will take care of pretty much all the bosses until the end. I haven't needed to heal hp once during battle (except the ending). This is key so I'll put in caps: NO BACKTRACKING. This means if you forget a djinn, you won't ever be able to get them - there's a few no-turning back points you should be aware of. This also means no going back to cities you've visited before. Psynergy charges fast (this I like) but isn't really useful because battles/bosses are easy anyways. You'll run around with full PP most the time.

You get more djinn, which is fun for experimenting, but you'll have an unequal amount of djinn for each element until near the end. Not really a bad thing, but you won't be in your base classes for long unless you purposely standby the extras. The story is good, I won't get into detail about that. Overall, I really enjoyed it, very nostalgic. I'd give it an 8.5/10.[/QUOTE]

totally agree with what you are saying about the overall game and the no back tracking part...*sigh* those forever lost Djinn :(

This game has the most pointless amount of text... The dialogue seems like it was made for 10yos. I wouldn't really say the story is "good" even, it's basically 1/2 a a story which involves you running around chasing people. I liked it overall, but by the end I was pretty drained.

It's definitely not as good as the GBA Golden Suns, but in terms of what's available on the DS it is a nice change of pace from the usual DQs.

[quote name='Muitabui']totally agree with what you are saying about the overall game and the no back tracking part...*sigh* those forever lost Djinn :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, I completely forgot the 1st summon (no big deal), but I missed the one right before the 3rd point of no return.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that pissed me off the most about the game is that I got a 100% save file except for one encyclopedia entry by viewing some stupid ball in the clouds or something that I couldn't return to... Not that entries do anything at all but it's so annoying collecting all the random stuff in this game. If you're a completionist, it's gonna give you a bit of a headache.

bread's done
Back