Good 32" HDTV?

pixi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Right Now I'm looking for a good price on a 32" HDTV.

First off, what am I looking for? I own a ps3 and a standard direct TV box.

Oh and I'm on a budget. My Dad isn't going to spend 1.5k on a TV for me.

Right now I hear plasmas are best for gaming, but these is the issues:

There are no 32" plasmas on the market
The smallest is 42" which is a little too big for my room
and The cheapest is $650 + only 720p

From what I know, 1080p is the best for gaming. But, I've been told there's really no difference between 720p and 1080p on smaller sets.
My only problem with that is that I want to update to better technology and 480i-720p isn't a big difference.

Somebody help me out?
These are the sets I was looking at:
32" LG 1080p 60hz
32" LG 1080p 120hz
32" Samsung 720p 60hz
32" Vizio 1080p 60hz

I'm also confused about HDMI cables and a little skeptical about which one to buy.

Hey pixi I have some TV's you should look at. These are some great deals.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9144366&type=product&id=1218035841426&ref=39&loc=01&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9144366%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218035841426%26ref%3D10%26loc%3D01&AID=10597222&PID=249294&SID=28_Insignia-37_500 looks like a great TV for a great price. Reviews also look good. Insignia 37' 1080p - $499.99

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-32p...ast-ratio/q/loc/111/210751598.html?adid=17653 Looks like another great tv for a very nice price.
Philips 32" 720p - $379.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA Looks like another! great TV with a great price.
Philips 42" 1080p - $697.99 (Also on sale for the same price at Walmart)
One thing I noticed about that TV is the 6.5ms which is GREAT! I didn't look at the specs of the other TV's or really know anything about them, but the prices and reviews look good.

Good Luck!

Also, just throwing it out there but if you are going to do a decent amount of movie/Blu-Ray watching, you should aim for a 120hz set so you can get 24fps playback and avoid 3:2 pulldown.

I too have the b360, Picked it up the first day it hit Sears. I love this tv and everybody who sees it thinks it was a more expensive set. I'm probably going to buy a second one for the bedroom in the next few weeks. My only wish is that it had 3 hdmi ports, but that's what my monoprice 5x hdmi switch is for.

[quote name='paz9x']just out of curiousity why are you reccomending a tv twice his budget?
at $700 you can get one of the best displays at 42"[/QUOTE]

READ HIS OP, his dad won't spend 1.5k on a tv. So this is half less. And he also mentioned $650 for 720p...well you can get 1080p with this set for that price. Just wanted to give him an extra option.

Not everyone needs 42"...size is a factor for some, and too big is a problem. 3.5 ft. away from 42" = seizures. As of right now...please let me know of a $700 "best display" that size on the market. I bet I can differ.

[quote name='epictempo']READ HIS OP, his dad won't spend 1.5k on a tv. So this is half less. And he also mentioned $650 for 720p...well you can get 1080p with this set for that price. Just wanted to give him an extra option.

Not everyone needs 42"...size is a factor for some, and too big is a problem. 3.5 ft. away from 42" = seizures. As of right now...please let me know of a $700 "best display" that size on the market. I bet I can differ.[/QUOTE]

check amazon for 42" panasonic

his budget is $300 you reccomended a tv twice the cost. why dont you read the OP instead of fluffing yourself by letting us know what you have.

[quote name='epictempo']READ HIS OP, his dad won't spend 1.5k on a tv. So this is half less. And he also mentioned $650 for 720p...well you can get 1080p with this set for that price. Just wanted to give him an extra option.

Not everyone needs 42"...size is a factor for some, and too big is a problem. 3.5 ft. away from 42" = seizures. As of right now...please let me know of a $700 "best display" that size on the market. I bet I can differ.[/QUOTE]

check amazon for 42" panasonic

his budget is $300 less than what you reccomended. why dont you read the OP instead of fluffing yourself by letting us know what you have.

Went to Costco tonight and did a little TV research there...

They have a Vizio 32" 1080P (VA320M) for $449, but according to SD, you can get it for like $390 shipped from Dell (http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/22513)

They also have this Phillips 32" 1080p 120hZ set for $469 after an instant rebate through 11/15 (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-32PFL6704D-F7-32-Inch-1080p/dp/B001RPOCD8)

Another TV then had was the LG 32LF11 (1080p, 60hZ) for $449. I think this was my favorite TV of the bunch. (http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LF11.jsp)

The last TV I saw was the Samsung LN32B540 (720p) that I think is a warehouse store exclusive. Costco had it at 499, but Sam's apparently has it at $474. (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=429202)

I dunno, I was doing the research for my own benefit, but maybe it will help you too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evildeadjedi']According to Consumer Reports, Samsung is making the best LCD TV's on the market right now. Sony is second (but a bit overpriced) and Toshiba is 3rd.

I personally have a Toshiba Regza 720p 32in and love it![/QUOTE]

I looked into an HDTV for a long while til this January. I picked up the 32" Vizio (not the eco but the standard) from Wal Mart for $350 +Tax and I've been happy with it ever since. I have it with a 360 through component, PS3 and DVD player through an HDMI switch and I have my PC and satellite hooked up to it as well. I have to say that it all looks pretty clean to me right now but I'm thinking of getting A Samsung down the road.

Honestly if you want the best, grab a Samsung or a Toshiba but the differences are negligible. What you really should look for is the customization options and how many devices you can hook up to it. For me, while the Toshiba and Samsung looked pretty slick it just didn't have the connections I needed or wanted so I went with the Vizio.

If you think a 32" is small then your not alone. That is until you get it home and set up. I thought a 32" would look small compared to my old 32" tube but after I got it out of the box it looks a lot larger than I thought it would.

Also, NEVER EVER trust what you see in the store. The store messes with the settings and if not them its the customers and the environment you'll have it in will most likely be very different than the stores, so you'll have to remember that as well. The picture quality will vary greatly too since they only show everything in store at 480i at best (and yes I have checked it through the tv in store to be sure). I sit around either 3-6 feet away and I've checked between my 720p and my buddies samsung 1080p and there really isn't that big of a difference. maybe some slight edge details but that's can only really be seen on a still image. Motion will pretty much obscure that anyways.

Your best bet honestly will be either time before or after black friday. That's when I've seen the best prices and they start around the beginning of November. Just keep an eye out on your local ads since this year's models will be getting some discounts around then.

Then again who knows since the economy is farther in the tubes this year than last year.

edit: forgot to mention that LG is comparable to Samsung for some of their models. To be honest though, it varies from person to person as to what looks good so you might want to take a couple of hours and take a look at some at a store.

[quote name='pixi']Right Now I'm looking for a good price on a 32" HDTV.

First off, what am I looking for? I own a ps3 and a standard direct TV box.

Oh and I'm on a budget. My Dad isn't going to spend 1.5k on a TV for me.

Right now I hear plasmas are best for gaming, but these is the issues:

There are no 32" plasmas on the market
The smallest is 42" which is a little too big for my room
and The cheapest is $650 + only 720p

From what I know, 1080p is the best for gaming. But, I've been told there's really no difference between 720p and 1080p on smaller sets.
My only problem with that is that I want to update to better technology and 480i-720p isn't a big difference.

Somebody help me out?
These are the sets I was looking at:
32" LG 1080p 60hz
32" LG 1080p 120hz
32" Samsung 720p 60hz
32" Vizio 1080p 60hz

I'm also confused about HDMI cables and a little skeptical about which one to buy.[/QUOTE]

I actually have this LG you listed here and bought it on sale when it first came out which was down from the price of 899.99 to 799.99 and was one of the first 32" TVs to have 1080p at the time. Best money I ever spent. Everything looks great from PS3 games to my BLU-RAY movies to my up converted DVD movies to using it as a PC monitor and DIRECT TV HD. Would buy it again in a heart beat especially at it's even lower price now.

[quote name='paz9x']check amazon for 42" panasonic

his budget is $300 less than what you reccomended. why dont you read the OP instead of fluffing yourself by letting us know what you have.[/QUOTE]

Stop being an idiot. Read his post and nowhere does it mention his budget is around $350. READ: ALL the tv's that he's looking at is $550-$750 so don't be an ass when you look like one now. I don't need to fluff, don't be insecure b/c you bought a pos.

[quote name='epictempo']Stop being an idiot. Read his post and nowhere does it mention his budget is around $350. READ: ALL the tv's that he's looking at is $550-$750 so don't be an ass when you look like one now. I don't need to fluff, don't be insecure b/c you bought a pos.[/QUOTE]

in post #15 he states his budget is $350-400.
if youre saying the panasonic p42s1 is a piece of shit you dont know what youre talking about.
I dont own a panasonic display, they are currently far and away one of
the best deals you can find in a display. theyre beyond the TS budget
like the display you mentioned.

I dont appreciate the name calling either.

[quote name='epictempo']Stop being an idiot. Read his post and nowhere does it mention his budget is around $350. READ: ALL the tv's that he's looking at is $550-$750 so don't be an ass when you look like one now. I don't need to fluff, don't be insecure b/c you bought a pos.[/QUOTE]

Who looks like an idiot now?

You.

[quote name='paz9x']in post #15 he states his budget is $350-400.
if youre saying the panasonic p42s1 is a piece of shit you dont know what youre talking about.
I dont own a panasonic display, they are currently far and away one of
the best deals you can find in a display. theyre beyond the TS budget
like the display you mentioned.

I dont appreciate the name calling either.[/QUOTE]

Don't be offensive to me and later defensive. I wasn't trying to "fluff" anything, he was looking at 4 lcds in that price range. If he wanted to change his budget, he should then edit his OP. The p42s1 is a FORTY TWO (42"), did he change his mind about size? So why is this even mentioned. Please stop talking to me. End.

[quote name='SimaYi']^oos/nonexistant[/QUOTE]

Yeah it didn't last long at all...might still be same price in store I'm not sure.

Closer and closer it gets to my birthday z_z

Still confused as to what to get. I'm now thinking 26-32 inch.
My dad is cheaping out on me since he isn't too interested in TVs (all of them look the same to him). but he is right, times are tough and he isn't made of money.

ANYWAYS I'm still standing with my budget. I'm looking more towards BB/Amazon since they are close and I can put money towards the TV. Right now I have like $55 so I think I can look a little over my budget if necessary.

I have good eyes, and I really do see a difference between 720p and 1080p on smaller sets. But whatever my dad is okay with is what I'm getting.

26" Sony 720p
26" LG 720p
26" Toshiba 720p
32" Toshiba 720p

I bought a Samsung ln32b460 a few months back. It's around 500 dollars at various retailers.

So far I've been happy with it. I have it in my room connected to my computer and my ps3.

It's 720p, 60hz, 50,000:1 "advertised" contrast ratio, 6ms "advertised" response time. 3 hdmi ports, one optical out, 2 component, 1 rca (or something like that).

Except for some ghosting issues that occurred when Samsung briefly had the 1018.1 firmware available (I've since downgraded to 1016.1 once they pulled the 1018.1 firmware) I haven't had any noticeable issues with it.

Bought a Panasonic 32" TC-L32C12 and while its not the fanciest tv on the market it looks fantastic.

Kinda still looking

Saw Insignia 32 1080p
This any good?

If I print out something from walmart, can bestbuy match it? What is the process of doing this?

Stay away from brands like that bro...Insignia, Dynex, etc.. those brands are priced to sell because they produce garbage. If you're on a budget look for e-tailers that will ship for free and won't slap you with tax then try to narrow it down as much as you can. Search for coupons online and such...also if there's anyway to add some funds you want to be around the 450-550 mark for a decent LCD that won't have you waiting on a guest service line for a refund with a massive headache.

good luck

I picked up this TV last week at BB, it was on sale for $429 instore sale only. I searched online and instore for a few weeks before deciding on this one only because it was $70 less than the Samsung and the picture was just as good. I would suggest going into stores and finding what they have on sale/clearence, my sears had some real nice sets when I was looking last week.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...HDTV/9222646.p?id=1218062424206&skuId=9222646

This is what we have purchased recently and me and my wife are pretty impressed. We bought it from 6th ave through amazon for $466 (no tax and free shipping). We chose 6th ave because they can replace any tv upto 32-inch unlike almost all other amazon merchants that requests you to ship it to the manufacturer if it's more than 24-inches.

LG 32LH30 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV, Gloss Black

bread's done
Back