Good alternatives to the 360 wifi adapter

sweeetja713

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
I know you can use something other than the official wifi adapter with the 360 for wireless internet but I don't know what it is or where I could find good deals on something like that. I remember a buddy of mine hooked mine up wirelessly at his place one time but I don't remember what he used and I've since moved and lost contact with him. Any help would be appreciated. Damn Marvel vs Capcom 2 necessitates getting online and I wouldn't mind streaming from netflix either. Oh and whatever I get needs to be able to work with my encryption which is wpa personal tkip

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're willing to do a little DIY work, Linksys/Buffalo brand router w/ 3rd party firmware such as dd-wrt or Tomato*. I use a Linksys wrt54gs v.2 using dd-wrt firmware. The router cost me $40 used (but I think you could find it cheaper). Installing the dd-wrt firmware is quite easy and is more time-consuming than anything else. The only difficulty I can probably see aside from the firmware install is properly configuring your network and bridging (if you already have a router) to the other router. But if that elbow grease is too much trouble (and for some it is), you just might be better off paying the extra $60 to save yourself some time and effort as I've heard the microsoft adapter does all the networking work for you.

*FYI: dd-wrt is more robust (at least I think so) but Tomato is more user-friendly (I don't know as I've been using dd-wrt for a while and am quite happy w/ it).

I've got a dd-wrt router but it's in the other room and I really don't feel like running a cable to it. Everyone keeps talking of bridging maybe that what I need just a wireless bridge plug it in behind the 360 and connect it to my network. I'm just not sure how to put in the security stuff on a bridge through the xbox. Anyone else have any ideas?

[quote name='sweeetja713']I've got a dd-wrt router but it's in the other room and I really don't feel like running a cable to it. Everyone keeps talking of bridging maybe that what I need just a wireless bridge plug it in behind the 360 and connect it to my network. I'm just not sure how to put in the security stuff on a bridge through the xbox. Anyone else have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Usually the Wireless Bridge itself will have a web based GUI where you can enter in your security info. If you have already done DD-WRT just grab a router and flash it then set to wireless bridge.

If you can somehow get your hands on one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techn...DEZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250101612&sr=8-1

I've been using one for the past 3 years on and off (not because the thing cuts out on and off, but because I've moved around a lot when I was still in college) and it works great.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Buffalo was ordered to stop making them or something? But if you can find one for $50, it's great.

Or you can just get the one used for the original xbox,its what im using and it works like a charm. You can find it on amazon, just type in xbox wireless netowkr adapter MN740. Or if your near a frys electronics they should have one for $39.99.

go buy a 100 ft length of Cat6 cabling, and run it to your router.

Or head to frys electronics and buy one of the Original Xbox wireless adapters. The only real drawback is that they're a nuisance to set up (sometimes) when you're over 20 ft away. I've had times when they worked very well, and times when it refused to connect. (thus prompting my purchase of a very long length of cable that i keep spooled, and simply roll out when i need to use it).

[quote name='vegeta21x']Or you can just get the one used for the original xbox,its what im using and it works like a charm. You can find it on amazon, just type in xbox wireless netowkr adapter MN740. Or if your near a frys electronics they should have one for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I use, does basically the same thing as the 360 one, except it looks like a little router, and it has its own power cord. Never had any problems with it. When you open it, don't follow the instructions, and just plug it in, then settings on your Xbox to enter your routers password. I picked mine up about a year ago for $50 on Amazon

bread's done
Back