Good Board Games?

The game. Too much crap involved in it. I may learn to like it but my initially impression was its a heavy game which im generally not a fan of.

On a seperate board game note I really wish that Reiner Knizias Tzaar and Yinsh would come to Ipad. Mr Jack would also be a great fit.

Oh well. I like the game, but I'd already played the real version once with friends, so I already knew that. It does help to play with people who've played before, as they can give you a clue of what to do and why when you're starting out. The app does provide some hints in that regard, both in the tutorial and via the ? icon (tap it during the game to get a suggestion of what to do), but they could definitely be better explained (or explained at all!)

I'm not really very good at the game yet, but I do enjoy it.

I wasnt downing the tutorial or even the game itself. It does do a very good job at making things clear and you can always drag the question mark places to clarify things you dont understand.

I just tend to prefer games that offer an unlimited number of options to a few pieces vs games that offer an insane amount of options to an insane amount of pieces.

I can definitely appreciate that. I like both types of games, but probably do favor the fewer pieces type generally. PR does get easier after a 2 or 3 plays, though.

I'm going to look up Tzaar and Yinsh as well as Mr. Jack. I don't know those games.

Check the report on gencon here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/4023/gen-con-news-part-2-ascension-rotf-7-wonders-nig

Though see the comments too, because Asmodee clarified the 7 Wonders iPad version - it *is* in development, but seems to be a ways off yet. First they are going to come out with a scoring app. Actually that would prove handy. I hope they aren't planning to charge for it, though. :)

Hmmmm thats all the more reason why I may cancel my 7 wonders order. I can just wait for the Ipad version and then buy it if I like it.

Tzaar, Yinish and Mr Jack are awesome. Tzaar and Yinsh especially are 2 of my fav games. I was going to explain how to play Tzaar but this video will do a better job much faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NEtt_Zsl-w

As for Yinsh its a basic game of connect 5. Each player has 5 rings which they take turns putting anywhere on a board covered in straight lines. You then take turns jumping your rings around the board, each jump leaves behind a little colored circle(based on if your white or black). You can move as far as you want in a straight line and you can jump over your opponents circles(but not their rings)which causes them to flip over to your color. If you can manage to get 5 in a row then you score a point but must take a ring off the board. As I am sure you can imagine this leaves you at a disadvantage since your opponet then has more rings to jump around with meaning they can set up multi turn moves to jump your pieces or block you from jumping theirs.

Both games are amazingly simple yet at the same time amazingly deep. Think of them as having the depth of Chess but the simplicity of checkers.
Edit - Also I was wrong they are not Knizia games.

So I think I am going to cancel 7 Wonders and replace it with Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War.

Before I do though anyone played the Civilization board game? I love the video game and have heard the board game is great, but it looks intimating since it supposedly takes 2-3 hours to play and it looks like it has a million freaking pieces. Gonna try watching some reviews of it in a second, but hoping someone here has impressions too.

http://www.slugfestgames.com/games_rdi.php

Red Dragon Inn. I'm not sure if I've missed a discussion on it, but really fun game. Three different sets, each comes with four characters. Basically, buy one, you have a 4 player game, buy all three to play with up to 12 people. Really quick, simple game. Can teach someone in a few minutes, almost no setup time. People pick their character, you give them 10 gold coins, you put the alcohol and stamina (I might be using the wrong terms) markers on 0 and 20, draw and start playing. A 2 player match goes pretty quick, but with more people it is really fun.

I guess here we are going on a hope and prayer that these will be released for iOS, but I'll continue anyway, and say that Tzaar and Yinsh don't sound like my cup of tea. I have never been good at games like that. I don't care for Knizia's game Ingenious either. Something about those type of games I just can't get into. Perhaps they're too abstract.

Ingenious is just ok. Qwirkle is much better but Tzaar and Yinsh sit on top since they are pure strategy games, no luck involved. They are also among the most simple games iv ever played.

Anyways I canceled 7 wonders from my big order and replaced it with Quarriors and Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War. Ill post how they are whenever I get them. For now I am forced to continue waiting on the order since Confusion and Summoner Wars Master Set(the reason I initially placed the order)are both still pre orders.

bread's done
Back