Good, cheap video card?

Pavelboca

CAGiversary!
Hey guys. I'm kinda looking to upgrade my PC to something that is somewhat capable of running the newer games. Im not looking to max anything out, just run on high or medium settings at a good frame rate. I have an hp that has a decent processor and over 3 gigs of ram. Heres my dx diag:

Vista
Hp Pavillion a6244n
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 GHZ (2 cpus)
3 Gigs of Memory

Also, I asked this question a couple months ago on another forum and someone said my power supply was outdated. Where can i find out what power supply I have?

Thanks,
Pavel

nope HP stock PSU is really lame (350watt generic brand) and it really easy to burn out. Depend on what your budget is I can give you some good combo. For PSU I recommend Power & Cooling, CoolMaster. For video card there are some pretty good ones for under $100 and will run all the current games pretty smooth. So let us know what's your budget like.

I've got a lightly used GeForce 9800 GT floating around here somewhere. I'd be happy to ship it to you (card only) for a low price. PM me if you're interested.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I've got a lightly used GeForce 9800 GT floating around here somewhere. I'd be happy to ship it to you (card only) for a low price. PM me if you're interested.[/quote]

PM'd

Don't know if you are still looking and how cheap you want but, I recently bought a graphics card and am very satisfied. I got a GeForce 9400 GT 512MB that has been running great for my cheap little system. I've got a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400, 2gb ram, and said video card. I've been playing Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, along with other games, no problem at pretty decent graphic settings, think I got Far Cry 2 at medium atm and runs super smooth.

Anyways enough rambling here's where I got it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162018

If you do the mail-in rebate it's only $34.99

[quote name='Pavelboca']Well, it would be great if I could everything together for about 150.
Also, I think it's important to note that I have a pretty small case.

Edit: how about a card like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127384

I read on tomshardware that it can run almost anything on a pretty high resolution. Why so cheap?[/quote]

That card is cheap because it's using GDDR2 memory which is somewhat old. But for 512MB card I think 128mbit/GDDR2 memory could make good use out of all that memory. And yeah it should run newer games pretty smooth at low-med quality. An also the one modchamp recommend has exactly same spec with the one you found but is alot cheaper. As far as those 2 Brands, They are 2 somewhat reliable brands i guess. They've been around for awhile making cheap component for PC. And to run these 2 cards you need to upgrade your PSU to at least 450Watt to be safe. I recommen Power&Cooling as usual, if you take a look on newegg they should have some awesome deals fo Power&Cooling Silencer PSU ranging from 400-700 watt for below $35-$80 (after saving/rebate). Good luck man!

I'm a little new to the whole graphics card thing but those 2 cards aren't very similar. The MSI has 320 stream processing units where the galaxy has only 16. The MSI also has a core clock of 600 the galaxy 550. And last but not least the msi memory clock is 1000 mhz while the galaxy is only 800. Now like I said I'm not exactly a pro when it comes to this kinda thing but it seems like the MSI would be a much better card all around.

If not please enlighten me because I'm also in the market for a new graphics card and I'm really leaning towards the MSI as it's the cheapest I've found with such specs.

I have a used BFG Nvidia 8600 gt or gts, i'll have to look at the card to see.
I'm thinking its the 512MB card sitting in my room. If your interested in buying me send me a pm

I used it for about 2 1/2 months until I found an even bigger better card. I'm currently using a 8800 gtx oc 768

yeah my mistake on the MSI and Galaxy. I didn't really check the specs beside the total memory and type of memory. And yeah MSI one is definitely better.

[quote name='Pavelboca']Well, it would be great if I could everything together for about 150.
Also, I think it's important to note that I have a pretty small case.

Edit: how about a card like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127384

I read on tomshardware that it can run almost anything on a pretty high resolution. Why so cheap?[/quote]

If you can swing it, definitely go for the 4800 series or higher. They'll run better and won't be outdated as quickly. I have a Radeon HD 4850.

bread's done
Back