good, cheapass 802.11g wireless router?

skulls dont fade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
i'm new to wireless routing and i'm looking for a good option that i could possibly use with my DS and 360. when i'm playing live, currenty, my girlfriend can't use the internet, so i'm going to remedy the situation. help?

Well, I have a v3 and its great

I guess you should look for v3-v1, then v4.

I got mine at Walmart and I had to dig throught the stock

CC is having a great sale (I saw the ad on BF) for a netgear 108 mbps with notebook card for 19.99 (After rebates, of course). They also had a Motorola surfboard cable modem for the same price (Again, after rebate) if you need that. You can buy the modem online, but the router is in-store only.

[quote name='skulls dont fade']how about this? any good? http://staples.shoplocal.com/staples/default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2278974&rapid=202802&pagenumber=4&listingid=-2096138263&ref=%2fstaples%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepagesingle%26storeid%3d2278974%26rapid%3d202802%26pagenumber%3d4

edit: i don't know if it's an issue, but as far as range goes, we're talking 25-30 feet from my computer to my 360.[/QUOTE]

If you find a v2-v4 at CC, try to PM there. They also have $30 in rebates. YMMV because of the rebates.

what's the difference between WEP, WPA, and AES? (sorry to sound ignorant, but like i said, i'm really not fluent in this subject). Also, how easy is it to change to WEP? I only have 1 computer so I basically need this for DS online and Xbox360 online (hardwired).

looks like there's a v.4000 and v.2000 type of this router. the 4000 doesn't work with DS (on nintendowifi.com) and the 2000 is recommended. is this a b&m deal also?

Well, WPA is much better than WEP. It uses a dynamic encryption rather than a fixed one. AES is an encryption format for WPA, which is the strongest available until WPA2.

The WRT54G was on a "temporary price cut" at target yesterday for 29.99, I thought the sign said the price drop was good until saturday or sunday, wasn't really paying much attention since i didn't need one.

[quote name='billyG']The WRT54G was on a "temporary price cut" at target yesterday for 29.99, I thought the sign said the price drop was good until saturday or sunday, wasn't really paying much attention since i didn't need one.[/QUOTE]

Wish I'd seen this before, I PMd CC to Staples for ~$42.50 - $30 rebates.

bread's done
Back