Good deal on Nocturne?

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Hello all. I had been vaguely shopping around for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, a game that's always interested me, but was unsure that I'd like, and as many of you know that game is EXTREMELY rare. So imagine my surprise when I realized the local Blockbuster had a copy to rent. I asked about buying their rental games and they said the can't sell them directly, but that I could rent it and just not return it and after 2 weeks it would be mine for the pre-played price of $35. Sadly, the game is missing it's instructions (and hence the only console game in my collection from the PS2 era on that doesn't have instructions), and it's a bit scuffed up, but not the point that it would effect it's performance. On the plus side, the price was right, it came with the bonus soundtrack, and they'll let me take the cover art after two weeks, so I figure that if I don't like it I could always sell it and make some money back. I'm pretty sure this was a good deal, though I am skeptical about Blockbuster, so has anyone ever tried this with game rentals from them? Is this also that good a deal on an instructionless used copy of even Nocturne? I think it is, but I'd like a second opinion.

P.S. Does anyone know a way of buying instruction manuals for games? I know Nintendo allows that service for their first party games, but I'm not sure about Atlas PS2 games. Any advice?

[quote name='refusedchaos']naw...id never buy a non complete nocturne....but good deal if u just want to play it[/QUOTE]

I hear you. Even after getting this deal I'm still not too excited due to the lack of instructions. However, I'm hoping ebayer's won't mind so much as a copies that have instructions but no soundtrack are selling for $50 min. I mean instructions are nice and all, but they can't be worth $30, right?

I guess what I'm saying is that from a collector's point of view this bothers me, but as someone who's curious about the game and may sell it after I'm done, does this purchase seem like an economically prudent move?

Drop Atlus a line. They seem like a small/cool enough company that they might sell their instruction books separately.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I hear you. Even after getting this deal I'm still not too excited due to the lack of instructions. However, I'm hoping ebayer's won't mind so much as a copies that have instructions but no soundtrack are selling for $50 min. I mean instructions are nice and all, but they can't be worth $30, right?

I guess what I'm saying is that from a collector's point of view this bothers me, but as someone who's curious about the game and may sell it after I'm done, does this purchase seem like an economically prudent move?[/QUOTE]

well you can get about $50 if the cover of it is teh LE cover (says" includes soundtrack")....and yes a manuel makes a big difference since replacement manuel are way harder to find than litho inserts...dont worry, you will make ur money back

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I hear you. Even after getting this deal I'm still not too excited due to the lack of instructions. However, I'm hoping ebayer's won't mind so much as a copies that have instructions but no soundtrack are selling for $50 min. I mean instructions are nice and all, but they can't be worth $30, right?

I guess what I'm saying is that from a collector's point of view this bothers me, but as someone who's curious about the game and may sell it after I'm done, does this purchase seem like an economically prudent move?[/QUOTE]

You'll definitely get your money back and more, unless there's a reprint. I have a feeling it might get even more expensive when Persona 3 comes out (since it also has "SMT" in its title.)

as someone mentioned, you should email atlus and see if they will sell you instructions for it. about a year and a half ago I bought inserts, the OST, and instructions from them for the game. maybe they have some left.

I know they used to have a portion of their site where you could buy their old backstock manuals, case inserts, strat guides, bonus cds etc etc. But I can't find it anymore on their updated site. Perhaps you could have more luck unearthing this!

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I know they used to have a portion of their site where you could buy their old backstock manuals, case inserts, strat guides, bonus cds etc etc. But I can't find it anymore on their updated site. Perhaps you could have more luck unearthing this![/QUOTE]

you have to email them, that part of the site hasn't been up for some time now...

[quote name='Diamondcrusher']A gamestop near me has the LE, but they want 39.99 for it. Is that a good price?[/QUOTE]

if complete then YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, great game. If you don't mind something that's fiendishly hard and quite depressing, play away. At the very least you can sell it off.

$35 isnt too bad. goodluck getting the instructions manual for it. its not that easy specially for a rare game. i would sell it on ebay, get the $40+ and rebuy it. GS should have em just check the website and see which stores have em. thats how i found my copy, i actually paid $44+tax.

bread's done
Back