Good deals on a IPOD?

I just bought a 60gb iPod Video and I love it. I hardly ever use the video function simply because I don't need it, but it's not bad at all. I just love having more space and better battery life.

Overstock.com has them on sale for 15%off plus you can use a 10% off coupon as well until tomorrow. Not sure the coupon code is but you can find it.

Apple iPod Nano 2GB - Black Ground 1 $169.99

Subtotal: $169.99
Extra Discount: - $0.00
Coupons: - $17.00
Shipping Charges: $2.95
Tax: $0.00

Grand Total: $155.94

Best Buy has $30 gift cards with purchase of a Video Ipod this week and $15 with purchase of a nano, a pretty good deal at a retail store. If you're looking at nanos consider the new Sandisk Sansa e250/e260- they smoke the nano IMO and are on sale every other week or so.

[quote name='robdees']Best Buy has $30 gift cards with purchase of a Video Ipod this week and $15 with purchase of a nano, a pretty good deal at a retail store. If you're looking at nanos consider the new Sandisk Sansa e250/e260- they smoke the nano IMO and are on sale every other week or so.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a Nano-sized player for a while now. I like the Nano, but hate itunes and all the restrictions they have. How is the software for the Sansa? If it's just drag and drop, I'm definitely picking one up.

edit: just found this review:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/01/sandisk-sansa-e260-review/

and it looks like it is drag and drop. Next sale, I'm picking this up for sure.

[quote name='encendido5']Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a Nano-sized player for a while now. I like the Nano, but hate itunes and all the restrictions they have. How is the software for the Sansa? If it's just drag and drop, I'm definitely picking one up.

edit: just found this review:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/01/sandisk-sansa-e260-review/

and it looks like it is drag and drop. Next sale, I'm picking this up for sure.[/QUOTE]

I have the Sansa e260, I got at the officedepot sale 2 weeks ago for $140 AR and coupon. I love it. I like the fact that you can put videos on it, but the video conversion it is a bit quirky. There is some talk that they are going to make a Rockbox firmware for it, that would be awesome.

Right now you can get the 2 GB model e250 for around $120 AR + coupon at Staples.

[quote name='ofacto']I have the Sansa e260, I got at the officedepot sale 2 weeks ago for $140 AR and coupon. I love it. I like the fact that you can put videos on it, but the video conversion it is a bit quirky. There is some talk that they are going to make a Rockbox firmware for it, that would be awesome.

Right now you can get the 2 GB model e250 for around $120 AR + coupon at Staples.[/quote]

Dang, I would have definitely bought it for $140AR. I think 2gb is too small so I'll have to wait for the next sale on the 4gb model. Thanks for the info.

That was another one of my questions is that do I need to buy the songs from Apple's store to put them on the Ipod or can I just throw my own songs on there.

I just got the 60 GB video ipod as well. I wanted the space [I currently have 40 GB of mp3 on my HD, though I am working on purging it], and after using itunes and integrated podcasting, I wanted to stick with that ease of use/compatibilty.
The video isn't the major feature for me, but it's a pretty cool bonus--I watched a Strong Bad cartoon today in the parking lot at work before coming in. There's lots of free video content, either samples of 'mainstream' stuff or free videopodcasts. Of course, some of them are better than others. Ask a Ninja is stupidly funny.
When I did my research, the 60 GB 5G ipod was the third cheapest 'price per gig', and the two cheaper ones were both refurbs.

Itunes--and the ipod--works fine with 'your own' mp3s. None of my collection was ripped via itunes, and I haven't paid for any content from the itunes music store. In fact, itunes is doing a damn good job of organizing my tracks, and with a couple free/lowcost plugins, I'm adding lyrics and album art very quickly and easily. You don't need an ipod to use itunes, you don't need to use the itms to use itunes, but of course you can.
You use itunes to 'import' your tracks into its library/interface; you can choose to let itunes manage your tracks [which moves them into a default itunes folder, attempts to name them consistently, but doesn't otherwise 'change' them from mp3], but you don't have to.
I think if you get an ipod you 'have' to use itunes [which is free software], but other than that, you can use your own mp3s downloaded/ripped from whereever [up to 320kbps bitrate].

You can go ahead and download itunes right now and play with it with your own mp3s or download podcasts without having an ipod, just to get a feel for it. I know people who use itunes and use another type of mp3 player [though they have to do some tricks to get content on their players].

Your first decision of course is size/portability versus storage space. Me, I will primarily use it at work, at home, or in the car, so I don't need the solid state flash memory ones or the smaller size [though even the 60Gb isn't 'large', it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, but half as thick].

Cheapest regular price I saw when researching, for a new unit from a legit retailer, was 373.99 from Amazon, and of course no tax and free shipping. However, I got mine from Target.com. I had to pay tax and shipping, but they were 20 bucks off last week, and I found a 10%-off coupon code, and got about 16 bucks back from ebates.com; so after all that, I got the unit with ta and shipping and an extended warranty for less than the price of the unit itself from Amazon.

If you want to be exposed to more ipod-centric information than should be allowed to exist, check out this website
http://ilounge.com/
and the forums
http://forums.ilounge.com

Another note on the e250/260 is that they do have expansion slots on the side -miniSD I believe- to allow you to add more memory in the future as well as FM radio, a user replaceable battery (woohoo!!) and the afore mentioned video playback. They are "play for sure" so you can just use Windows Media Player to do all of your transfering and they work with Napster to Go. Currently 150 for the 2GB and 200 for the 4GB at BB with no rebates to wait for.

[quote name='robdees']Another note on the e250/260 is that they do have expansion slots on the side -miniSD I believe- to allow you to add more memory in the future as well as FM radio, a user replaceable battery (woohoo!!) and the afore mentioned video playback. They are "play for sure" so you can just use Windows Media Player to do all of your transfering and they work with Napster to Go. Currently 150 for the 2GB and 200 for the 4GB at BB with no rebates to wait for.[/QUOTE]

The non-user-replaceable battery thing did conecrn me a little. But, unfortunately, it seems like lots of mp3 players, at least the higher-capacity ones, are going that route as well [I think the Creative Vision M is the same way].
I think I read that the reason/excuse for non-URB was that allowing it would increase the size and weight of the player.

[quote name='megaseadramon']That was another one of my questions is that do I need to buy the songs from Apple's store to put them on the Ipod or can I just throw my own songs on there.[/quote]
You can put your own songs on there.

I think if you get an ipod you 'have' to use itunes
Nope. You can use winamp.

When I used winamp, while I could play the tracks from the ipod, they were in the ipod's proprietary file system and labeling scheme, so while I could play them fine, they were in no apparent order or structure.

Using itunes and an ipod gives you a much more robust music/file management system, as far as I can tell.

[quote name='dtcarson']When I used winamp, while I could play the tracks from the ipod, they were in the ipod's proprietary file system and labeling scheme, so while I could play them fine, they were in no apparent order or structure.

Using itunes and an ipod gives you a much more robust music/file management system, as far as I can tell.[/quote]
It works great for me. It probably has to do with the way you saved your music on your comp.

I can use Winamp, or WMP, to play the tracks on my machine perfectly fine.
To get tracks to my ipod, I use itunes.
Winamp, afaik, can't 'manage' the ipod, so if someone buys an ipod, they will need to use itunes to manage the ipod, while of course they can use any mp3 player to play mp3 tracks [which is my entire collection].

I've wondered why FM radio is such a draw. Maybe it's because I've been listening to satellite radio for a year and a half, but to me, FM radio capability is an annoyance, not a feature.
The e260 is up to 4GB?

[quote name='dtcarson']I can use Winamp, or WMP, to play the tracks on my machine perfectly fine.
Winamp, afaik, can't 'manage' the ipod, so if someone buys an ipod, they will need to use itunes to manage the ipod, while of course they can use any mp3 player to play mp3 tracks [which is my entire collection].

I've wondered why FM radio is such a draw. Maybe it's because I've been listening to satellite radio for a year and a half, but to me, FM radio capability is an annoyance, not a feature.
The e260 is up to 4GB?[/QUOTE]

When I go to the gym, I could listen to several TV stations via FM. I see a ton of Ipods at the Y here, I wish it had FM, too.

[quote name='strebor']The best deal you can get on the iPod is with the educational discount.[/quote]This only covers the tax in most states

[quote name='dtcarson']I can use Winamp, or WMP, to play the tracks on my machine perfectly fine.

The e260 is up to 4GB?[/quote] No dude, you can use it for the Ipod. I have an ipod mini and I never ever use itunes.
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888

[quote name='CocheseUGA'] When I go to the gym, I could listen to several TV stations via FM. I see a ton of Ipods at the Y here, I wish it had FM, too[/quote] I wish it had AM so I can listen to the sports station while at work.

theres a new Sansa e270 6GB player at BB,
but right now its going for $290:cry:
Hopefully they have them on sale soon

I wish they had AM radio too, even if they only had a few stations
I only listen to the sports stations anyway.

Thanks to steeldeals at slickdeals for this info:

The Sansa e260 4gb is going to be on sale at Office Depot on Sunday for $150AR + tax. It may also be possible to use one of the $30 offf 150 coupons floating around to bring down the price even further. If you want one I suggest you buy the first day cause alot of places sold out of this the last time they were on sale (2 weeks ago). THis deal is IN STORES ONLY.

In-store price: $199.99
Less mfr. mail-in rebate: -$15
Less OD mail-in rebate: -$35
Net after rebates: $149.99

Possible use of $30 off 150 coupon (order online to use coupon code for instore pickup)

15345238 [Exp 6/30]
50745344 [Exp 6/30]
http://www.officedepot.com/promo.do?file=/promo/pages/coupon_30off.jsp

I have one and it is awesome. It still has some minor quirks which need to be worked out, but I hear that a new firmware upgrade is coming in a few weeks which will address some of those issues.

Do the items ship from the stores? Because this is what it says "X THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCATION". I live in Tempe, AZ and there isnt one with in 90 miles.

[quote name='megaseadramon']Do the items ship from the stores? Because this is what it says "X THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCATION". I live in Tempe, AZ and there isnt one with in 90 miles.[/QUOTE]

I think it ships from a distribution center. Your area is probably still sold out from the sale 2 weeks ago, wait until Sunday and see what it says then. You could always see if they have it in your local store.

Awesome, I thought I would have had to wait longer. I'll be picking up the player this afternoon. Hope they don't ask for a copy of the coupon like they do some other times.

This is probably only instore only, but I did see a 60GB iPod video at a Hastings (REFURB) for 350 dollars, 50 dollars off of its retail price.

[quote name='ofacto']Order it online for instore pickup. Then print out a copy of this page and tell them you got the coupon in your email.

http://www.officedepot.com/promo.do?file=/promo/pages/coupon_30off.jsp[/quote]

Thanks, but I actually already picked it up. The guy went to ask a manager something, but then he came back and only asked for my credit card. $182 including tax. Now to send out those rebates.

Nice little player. Having some issues with the taskbar icon disappearing in MTP mode, but hopefully will get resolved with the next firmware update.

[quote name='encendido5']Thanks, but I actually already picked it up. The guy went to ask a manager something, but then he came back and only asked for my credit card. $182 including tax. Now to send out those rebates.

Nice little player. Having some issues with the taskbar icon disappearing in MTP mode, but hopefully will get resolved with the next firmware update.[/QUOTE]

I use mine mostly in MSC mode, but here is an awesome site for to help answer all issues
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Seriously I don't think that Ipod or Sansa are that great. Look for the Creative 30GB. They have great video playback and are the same price as the 30 gb Ipod. Creative's mp3 players are absolutely great. They work very well.

Yeah--I just got my creative Zen Vision: M and it's super sweet.

PS--if anyone wants a brand new 4GB white nano that I won in a raffle, PM me. I'm looking for 195 shipped.

bread's done
Back