Good game stores in Edmonton

shigera

CAG Veteran
Apologies if this is slightly offtopic in this board, but I didn't know anywhere else to post that would actually get some replies.

I'm going to Edmonton for six weeks for work (in Winnipeg at the moment), and was wondering if there are any nice game stores to check out while I'm there. Particularly if there are any with older used games, retro games, the like.

None that I know of in particular. I've been to both cities, but I would say as far as game shopping goes, they would be pretty darn similar.
~S

I always just stick to EB Games or Gamestop here. I was checking out Roger's for the 2/$40, but aside from that I haven't seen too many good game stores. In Londonderry and Westmount Mall they both have some game stores with some old games for sale....but you'd be looking to spend a lot on them.

Nexxwave is good, they carry alot of rare and older games. They charge a bit of a premium, but for rare games (usually you can get it NIB) it's worth it.

There are a few Game City stores in some of the malls. They are nothing special, but occasionally you can find something rare there. They do carry SNES, N64, PS1, etc.

Stay away from the game store in West Edmonton Mall (it's by the ice rink). It's an absolute waste of time. They are extremely expensive and their customer service is awful.

[quote name='TheClair']Stay away from the game store in West Edmonton Mall (it's by the ice rink). It's an absolute waste of time. They are extremely expensive and their customer service is awful.[/quote]

I second that. I've never bought anything there, but it's sometimes fun to go in there just to laugh at how over priced all of their stuff is. If I remember correctly they were selling the newest DDR game (normally like $80) for $199.99. :S

The worst I ever saw at that store was at Christmas time they wanted $600 for the PS3 version of Rock Band. After I left I couldn't stop chuckling. They often sell preorder bonuses separately for ridiculous prices.

[quote name='TheClair']Nexxwave is good, they carry alot of rare and older games. They charge a bit of a premium, but for rare games (usually you can get it NIB) it's worth it.

There are a few Game City stores in some of the malls. They are nothing special, but occasionally you can find something rare there. They do carry SNES, N64, PS1, etc.

Stay away from the game store in West Edmonton Mall (it's by the ice rink). It's an absolute waste of time. They are extremely expensive and their customer service is awful.[/quote]
yea haha i remember that store, i bought some used digimon game on ps1 for 50bucks, what a rip off haha lol

There is only one place I go for video games in Edmonton and its Action Exchange on Stony Plain road. The guy who owns it is the only one who works there. It's a pawn shop but he has tons of nes, snes, n64, gamecube, ps, ps2 and anything else i left out as well as all current gen games. Good prices and if you go enough he will give you good deals because you're a good customer.

The store in West Ed is called "play me". I'm sure there is a special spot in hell reserved for the owner and staff---horrible, horrible place.

Nexwave is good--guys know their stuff. As such, you won't be picking up Suikoden II for $5--but they'll probably have it. I used to check their Kingsway location "back in the day".

[quote name='collector42']As such, you won't be picking up Suikoden II for $5[/QUOTE]

No because the balance of the universe will only allow this event to happen once in all eternity... and my friend was The Chosen One. 5$ in Quebec City inside some dumb pawn shop. I got Suikoden 1 for 10$, I guess the show owner's logic was that since the case was double in size, so should the price...

I remember back when I lived in Edmonton, the only place I really liked to go to for games was NexWave. I had a friend work there and he used to give me tax off of the games I bought. Nexwave has the best selection and reasonable enough prices.
Game City has pretty decent prices but not a very good selection of games.
As for Play Me in West Ed, I have no idea how that place is still in business, I've never heard of anyone buying anything there.

[quote name='collector42']The store in West Ed is called "play me". I'm sure there is a special spot in hell reserved for the owner and staff---horrible, horrible place.

Nexwave is good--guys know their stuff. As such, you won't be picking up Suikoden II for $5--but they'll probably have it. I used to check their Kingsway location "back in the day".[/quote]
...There goes that idea >.>

Edmonton CAG'ers represent, haha.

[quote name='jeffx']No because the balance of the universe will only allow this event to happen once in all eternity... and my friend was The Chosen One. 5$ in Quebec City inside some dumb pawn shop. I got Suikoden 1 for 10$, I guess the show owner's logic was that since the case was double in size, so should the price...[/quote]
Stories like that warm my heart. :D Best deal I got was Ikaruga GC brand new for $10 when it was damn hard to find. Your friend wouldn't want to "double his money" would he? I might know a buyer... ;)

[quote name='helluvagood']where is nexwave??? Ive never heard of it and ive lived in edmonton my whole life[/QUOTE]

There's one on 142 street and 87 avenue.

I went to check out the Auction Exchange yesterday and nearly broke my foot then found out it's closed on Tuesdays.

[quote name='helluvagood']where is nexwave??? Ive never heard of it and ive lived in edmonton my whole life[/quote]

There's the north side NexWave:
10404-118 Avenue

and the west side Nexwave:
8748-149 Street

(I kept the business card)

Heads up to Edmontonians:

Odin Sphere 19.99 new at Southgate EB.

I thought it was a pretty good deal. Didn't know where else to put it.

The advantage of Edmonton over Winnipeg is that there is no provincial sales tax. Buy your big items in Alberta to save 7-10% from your home provinces.

Cheers,
Stain

bread's done
Back