good games for 6 year old to enjoy

mickeyp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
We are getting a PS3 and want some games to play that are great but also good for kids, not just character games but a good game like a racing or sports or puzzle or platfomer that a 6 year old can play. We already have a wii. Any help please

My little sister plays the Sonic games, Maximo (probably not for all kids :p ), she LOVES Space Channel 5 and Gitaroo Man (watching more than playing), Lego Star Wars (very easy game and fun with co-op) and a few other games that don't come to mind at the moment

Speaking directly from the experience of babysitting a 5, now 6 year old:

Katamari Damacy
Cars
Star Wars Episode III
SSX 3

My 5 year old daughter loves Bully because of the sandbox aspects. I just make her skip any cutscenes she accidentally runs into.

Its a GC game, but my sister had a blast with Super Smash Brothers Melee when she was 4. She still likes it now that shes 10 with her own GC.

[quote name='Apossum']Manhunt[/QUOTE]

Smartass ;).

Seriously, I second Lego Star Wars and Katamari. My 4 year-old likes watching me play RPG's but that's probably unusual. He plays Lego Star Wars and Katamari though. It helps if you can unlock the eternal modes in Katamari so they can just roll around without the timer. He is also into playing Bomberman Live now - great choice if you have a 360. Maybe there's a PS2 version? I think I have an (unplayed) GC version. I might get that out now that we know what it is like.

I bought Katamari. We have lego star wars on gc, which he plays nonstop and has cleared all levels he is trying to get more canisters and true jedi.

I bought him starwars battle front, ratchet and clank and maximo. what is space channel 5? Is it hard?

[quote name='mickeyp']what is space channel 5? Is it hard?[/quote]

Space Channel 5 is a kinda-sorta rhythm game. It's actually closer to the old electronic game Simon. The "computer" takes its turn and does a sequence that might be something like "up up down down left right left" and then you have to remember that and mimic it on your turn but keeping with the rhythm.

I know that sounds boring as a description... you might want to look up videos to see how it's spiced up, but that's what it is at its roots.

Definitely kid friendly, and would probably be beneficial to developing memorization, rhythm, and coordination.

If you can find it at Circuit City, it's $3.

Games that are easy and simple seem okay for the younger generataion. Lego Star Wars, Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, and so...

You'll be amazed at how much most 6 year olds can handle.

My nephew will sit for hours (and he's 4) playing Ninja Gaiden Black (on Xbox) the mission levels. He can't beat them, he just likes getting eaten by the dragon. My 2 year old nephew loves Burnout 3, he can handle driving around, and loves crashing into stuff.

So, honestly, kids can handle most games. Usually, as long as the violence is under control (to a level your comfortable with), any game will work.

[quote name='lordxixor101']You'll be amazed at how much most 6 year olds can handle.

My nephew will sit for hours (and he's 4) playing Ninja Gaiden Black (on Xbox) the mission levels. He can't beat them, he just likes getting eaten by the dragon. My 2 year old nephew loves Burnout 3, he can handle driving around, and loves crashing into stuff.

So, honestly, kids can handle most games. Usually, as long as the violence is under control (to a level your comfortable with), any game will work.[/quote]
If that's the case, get the kid Psychonaughts. Sure, most of the GENIUS nuances will be lost on him, but almost every good animated kids movie (for example) works on multiple levels. Even you're too young to understand an "emotional baggage" joke, it's still a great game.

Not a lot of kids stuff out on the PS3, but what about Calling All Cars!, GripShift, and Super Stardust HD on the PSN? I have not played Calling All Cars!, but it looks like a lot of fun! I have played GripShift and it is definitely a game a six year old would enjoy (all of those crazy racing courses!) Maybe worth the downloads since you do not have to worry about your kid(s) scratching up the game disc. Stay away from Sonic The Hedgehog!!

EDIT: I also loved Lemmings as a kid and that is a download as well on the PSN...

I brought Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color for my son to play, I think he needs to be a bit older to enjoy it fully (he's 16 months old). I've played it more than him and I think it's a fun game (and CHEAP) - battles are similar to pokemon (a slightly bit better in fact, IMO), but the "win more colors to draw updrades" is pretty additive and fun for me.

Take a look at gamespot's video review if you more info.

It all depends on what you want him to play, I'm definitely going to lure my son to play SRPG as soon as he can understand me.. I need someone to play against..

EDIT: Gadget Racers is great fun (and CHEAP) arcade style racing game. With tones of parts to collect & combine. The best of all is that it's a fairly easier racer with very happy and cute graphics! The first track will make you fall asleep, just wait till your car turns into a boat when you hit water in track two!!!

I bought space channel 5 and it is hard, my husband was the best at it but he can't and we can't understand what buttons to press when the aliens say dip or something like that.

My son has played many games on gamecube and wii, I don't only mean easy but fun, and not so hard that it gets frustrating. He is loving star wars battle front.

[quote name='mickeyp']I bought space channel 5 and it is hard, my husband was the best at it but he can't and we can't understand what buttons to press when the aliens say dip or something like that.

My son has played many games on gamecube and wii, I don't only mean easy but fun, and not so hard that it gets frustrating. He is loving star wars battle front.[/QUOTE]
Theres a code that makes it go automatically, so you can pretend you're playing and doing good ;)

Still, once you get the beat it'll be fairly easy. It used to be impossible for me, but now I can beat it without even getting close to losing.

ok we will try again tomorrow, everything I have read says it is not so hard. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Anybody have klonoa 2, ape escape 2, or rayman games.? We have rayman for the wii and really like it.

[quote name='Apossum']Manhunt[/quote]

Actually, I was gonna say Scarface. LOL

[quote name='mickeyp']I bought Katamari. We have lego star wars on gc, which he plays nonstop and has cleared all levels he is trying to get more canisters and true jedi.

I bought him starwars battle front, ratchet and clank and maximo. what is space channel 5? Is it hard?[/quote]

Honestly? Star Wars Battlefront, even when put on EASY is bound to frustrate even the most skilled players. Heck, I found myself almost throwing the damned Xbox controller when I tried playing it by myself and I've played through some TOUGH games.

Otherwise though, the rest of the suggestions thus far(barring Manhunt) are good. Even though the controls for it are kind of loose, I'd suggest the Transformers game(for the movie thats out right now, as well as the older PS2 one). Why? Because the older game has decent controls and I'm sure he'd get a kick out of the Transformers changing.

Some of those games you have listed here, were hard for me and I've been playing for 25 years....

Transformers (the older one on PS2) is good, but there are a lot of tricky hard to get items without having enough skill (and patience) to do and the boss fights are not kid friendly in the least (they're cool, especially when fighting the air craft carrier which is 10 stories tall) but can be hectic.

But I dunno if he can go through Ratchet and Clank on his own (eventually), then who am I to say what to get for'em.

Klonoa 2 has a co-op help mode for littler kids, however if they can't do a lot of the more tricky jumps throughout the game and do twitch dodging in the surf board areas, I'd steer clear of it as well. I personally love the games, but my 5 year old nephew got fed up with it when he played it many years ago.

Honestly...simple button presses, easy to manuver and control games are the way to go, Metal Gear games....no.

Ape Escape is a good game, but not for a kid that young, again sometimes you have to quickly change items on the fly to do objectives, and the last boss fight can get frustrating very quickly (assuming he makes it that far) and getting a lot of the monkeys isn't easy either.

I'm not trying to dissuade you for getting any of these, but they aren't exactly geared to the kindergarten set is all I'm saying.

I grew up on 2600 and NES games, and for my money they are great training grounds for little kids, not exactly state of the art, but they were fun, which to me is what matters most. :)

Surprised no one mentioned this, but Guitar Hero maybe? On the easy setting of course.

EDIT: Doh. You got a PS3. I got confused because everyone was suggesting PS2 titles.

He likes virtua fighter 5 on the ps3 we tried it today, he also liked lemmings on the ps3 download trial. I bought Klonoa 2 but did not show him yet, I tried it and loved it, we also have klonoa for the GBA and liked it though.

co-op help mode for Klonoa sounds interesting, I did not see that

Try out those arcade's greatest hits or something similar, like the Sega Genesis Collection game for PS2. The games on it are pretty basic, one button is usually jump, the other is to shoot(vectorman).

he likes virtua fighter? was he playing against the com? I tried playing 4 and got my ass kicked by the computer. I would've recommended Soul Calibur instead; it's a lot easier and my younger cousins loved it. But the character designs are more risque.

My cousins also liked dynasty warriors; they'd run in circles beating up nearby bad guys (who don't really put up a challenge) while I did everything else.

old 2d games are best for younger kids - no depth perception needed. Streets of Rage is the best.

He is on the 6th level in virtua fighter for PS3. We just rented it yesterday from blockbuster with a free coupon. We own soul calibur 2 for the gamecube, it seems really similar. He is pretty good at video games. Good hand eye coordination.

I would agree with those who recommended Lego Star Wars 1 and 2. My five year old loves them both and he beat them when he was still four. For awhile he was a HUGE Star Wars nut, he memorized the commercial for Lego Star Wars 2 complete with sound effects. It was hilarious! Now he is more into anything Mario.

Definitely Katamari games, my nephew has been playing them since he was 5 and loves them. Also, Hot Shots Golf 4 is one of his favorites.

Psychonauts would be great for both of you.

[quote name='Apossum']Manhunt[/quote]
That's a fantastic way to teach your child self defense. Why waste money on karate lessons when you've got Manhunt?

Here's one scenario:
qqqqqqqqqqqqqsm6.jpg

All PS2 games:

Klonoa 2
Sphinx and the cursed mummy
Choro Q game Series - ( Seek and Destroy, CHoro Q, Road Trip, Gadget Racers)- im an adult and still think they are the greatest/cutest racing games.
XGRA for a futuristic racing game. Wipeout might be a bit too difficult to enjoy it.
Jak X Combat Racing is a great futuristic combat racing game
Ratchet and clank
Bloody roar for a nice animal fighting game - sounds mature, but not really
digimon rumble arena
Dynasty warriors - any of them lol
any of the One Piece games are great multiplayer games.
s.l.a.i. - giant robot fighting
gundam battle assault - giant robot fighting
virtua on - giant robot fighting
RAD - giant robot fighting
Godzilla games - theres like 2 or 3 of them
Destroy all Monsters is great monster battles like godzilla
Rampage - monsters climbing on buildings and smashing them or eating people. repetitive but mindless fun.
Lego star wars
Burnout series ( the newer ones) - What kid doesnt like to race and smash cars and make big explosions?

Some of that list has already been mentioned, but I figured a double recommendation couldn't hurt ;P
All of them are really cheap now as well :)

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']All PS2 games:

RAD - giant robot fighting (Robot Alchemic Drive)
[/quote]

Huh???

That game has a very complicated control scheme as well as a sometimes frantic pace, and it ain't easy either due to it being just not a press button and robot punch game. It uses both analog sticks in addition to multiple buttons needing to be pressed to activate some special moves, and to walk properly.

I wouldn't even consider recommending that to someone under the age of 13 (or older) let alone for a 6 yr old to play, due to the complexity of the control scheme and the later levels being borderline excercises in frustration because of the cheap objectives it throws out.

rub-a-dub @ the playstation store. my kids love it. although it doesn't last for very long, it gets complicated, but a fun game otherwise.

dance dance revolution games are always good
dora the explorer purple planet (my daughter was 4 1/2 at the time when she played this)

if you want platformers try the older games first. kids at that age sometimes when they play the game and they find that its too complicated in less than 5 minutes they will never play it again. trust me, i have 2 kids and ive got them new games that they played for only 5 to 7 minutes. buy the crash bandicoot's and jak & daxter games im sure they're like $4.99 now at EB/GS.

i also find usefull sometimes to have them watch me play a game. . like my 2 kids loved when i played metal gear solid 3, they'd sit there until i get tired of playing. they learn strategy :) , slowly, but they learn it otherwise. i noticed it when i bought them bomberman for the ds. i dont think there ever was a bomberman for the ps2 in the U.S. you can get the Ps1 bomberman's though (like bomberman world). hope it helps.

Dance Dance Revolution
Crazy Taxi
Jumping Flash
Intelligent Qube
Viewtiful Joe
Jak and Daxter
NFL Street
SSX Tricky
Amplitude
Soul Calibur 2

Ratchet and Clank is getting a lot of playtime today. Calling all cars was a hit. Klonoa was fun for him as well. he had fun watching my husband playing frequency.

[quote name='mickeyp']Anyone have the eye toy and the games for it ? Is it fun too play? Any comments[/quote]
The EyeToy is good entertainment, but interest could burn out quickly with certain players. It is neat to interact with the graphics, though. Make sure you're in a clear area with a 3 foot radius per player to allow for movement, and remain at least 4 - 5 feet from the screen otherwise you might not appear on the TV.

If you get EyeToy, your kid will probably like the basics - EyeToy Play 1 (and 2?) and Antigrav.

I recently traded a sealed Antigrav + EyeToy camera, otherwise I could've offered it to you. :whistle2:#

We tried the eye toy and eye toy play, my son had fun.

We also tried the adventures of cookie and cream which is a fun game for 2 players one controller--players have to work together.

Buy a 360 or PS3 and get The Darkness, that'll form them into excellent children ;)

In all seriousness, grab Magic Pengel as recommended earlier. I wish I could find that game so I could buy it. I loved every second I had it as a rental.

I'd say get a DS lite w/ brain age and big brain. I know it's early but if they see it as a game and not an educational tool now they will more likely play it. I remember my parents forcing me to do simon and I hated that damn game.

bread's done
Back