Good Gaming PC for 1K?

stevez0r

CAGiversary!
I'm ready to try my hand in PC gaming, but I don't know where to start. What can I for 1K? I was looking at the HP Slimline PC with Media Center for $650. What companies should I look at?

yea u should just build one ; ). You can build a pretty descent tower for 1k. or are you lookin for monitor, kb, mouse, etc...? good luck, Mike

If you really want to game, you'll be best off building it yourself, or buying from an OEM like ibuypower. Depending on what you need, you can get a very good pc for $1000.

The only reason I don't like brand name PCs is because of their propitiatory parts and stupid warranty complications (many void your warranty if you open the case).

If you build your own, you get so much more flexibility and upgrading options. With a brand name, you're basically stuck with crap and rarely have many options on upgrading when you're ready to do so in the future.

And by building it yourself, you get great warranty coverage on most of your parts. HP, Dell, et cetera generally give you a 1 year warranty. But most components you buy have much better warranties (my memory is lifetime, CPU is 3 years, PS has 5 years, all my HDs have 5 years, GPU has 2 years, and monitor has 3 years).

There are tons of companies, and depending on what kind of gaming you want to do, there's a wide variety of options.

Sounds like you're just starting out, and for $1K you can get a pretty good system. You can also get a prebuilt system for close to what it would cost you to build yourself. The higher up you go in the type of performance you're looking for, the higher the differential. So if you don't want to build, it's best to stay modest in your PC gaming ambitions.

But you also want to have a system that is upgradeable and will last. Whoever's selling that HP, find out how expandable it is. What is the power supply, what are the slots for graphics cards, is it an SLI or Crossfire motherboard? These are the things that will make the system upgradeable.

Most important question is, what is the processor? You want something dual-core. The processor is the most important first component to look at. In prebuilt systems, most everything else will fall into place. (If you were building your own, you'd have to match your processor with a motherboard.) Check out mass-market electronics stores and get used to the rundowns of specs, and you'll find out you can get a modest dual-core system for around $1K. Then you can upgrade it down the road.

Gaming PC e-tailers are a breed of their own and I've just done a lot of comparison shopping before going with ABS. I thought about building my own but the cost savings ($200) weren't high enough to justify the time and effort (I know $200 is not chump change but it saved me probably 100 hours of research, parts-shopping, and nervous tinkering).

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_e521?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Take that baseline Dell and slap on a 7800 GT and you got yourself a PC capable of running Oblivion at high settings for around $1000. It's got a great dual-core processor, a gig of ram, 250 gig HDD, all you need for a "decent" budget gaming-PC.

Those Media Center PC's are terrible for gaming and are a rip-off. They slap a TV tuner onto a regular PC, load it with Windows Media Center, and call it a "Media PC." I would avoid HP if your looking for gaming.

I would avoid going with companies like Alienware, ABS, etc. because they are the upper echelon manufacturers (ie. expensive $2000 and up).

[quote name='crystalklear64']Wait for DX10.[/QUOTE]

That's also good advice. As soon as R600 comes, DX10 capable cards (Nvidia's 8800s and ATI's X20xx seris) will become cheaper since there will be competition between Nvidia and ATI in the DX10 sector and DX9 cards would become substantially cheaper because of newer technology.

Look for a dell xps 410 in their outlet (sometimes as low as $500-600, but you can usually find a good one for $700-800) and spend the rest upgrading the video card and maybe the memory.

Cyberpower and ibuypower are other options, but alot of people have had problems with their 'unlimited lifetime tech support'.

If you can build one, personally thats your best option. Its not hard, if you have never done it, you can find lots of helpful info on the internet. And as mentioned above, you get retail warrenties on all your components. Reuse your old keyboard, mouse, and monitor. If you have a retail copy of windows, you may be able to reuse that, though, Ive seen XP home sp2 on sale for like $40, plus it comes with a vista upgrade coupon. It really pays to shop around. check places like anandtech. And if you dont mind rebates, it even less.

C2D e6300 ~$180
mobo ~$125-150
2 gb ddr2 667 ~$200-300
hd-you can find good 7200rpm sata drives for $.20-$.25/gb if you look around and send in rebates
cpu fan ~$25
case ~$30-100 (lots for free after rebates right now, check out the ultra aluminus from outpost.com for like $10 after rebates)
psu ~50-100 (dont go cheap here, buy a good one atleast 500 watts with dual 12v rails)
OS-reuse your xp or buy a new legit copy for as low as $30 after rebates.

[quote name='Kayden']*cough*
Partstock.com
*cough*[/QUOTE]
Really? Off Lease buisness computers with northwood/prescott cpus that run so hot you could heat you house. Plus, those cpus are at least 3 years old now, and wernt that great at gaming when they were new! Believe me, I still have one (as my kids computer). Besides, I know how I treat my computer at work. I know non tech people treat theirs even worse! Same reason I would never buy a ex rental car.

[quote name='uli2000']Really? Off Lease buisness computers with northwood/prescott cpus that run so hot you could heat you house. Plus, those cpus are at least 3 years old now, and wernt that great at gaming when they were new! Believe me, I still have one (as my kids computer). Besides, I know how I treat my computer at work. I know non tech people treat theirs even worse! Same reason I would never buy a ex rental car.[/QUOTE]

edit: I was looking at their prices a little more. I bought the 2.8ghz optiplex 270 they are selling for 479 from dell for 529 three years ago. And it came with a monitor and OS! You must be the owner to push that company!

[quote name='uli2000']edit: I was looking at their prices a little more. I bought the 2.8ghz optiplex 270 they are selling for 479 from dell for 529 three years ago. And it came with a monitor and OS! You must be the owner to push that company![/quote]

Not the owner... but a tech that works there. :lol: Really though, they come with 5 year warranties, monitors and XP. We actually cater more to schools and such, but have done the occasional single end user PC. Theres no real need to get your nips twisted off either.

I would really suggest waiting for DirectX 10, but if you WANT the PC now here is what $1000 will get you now, if you want to spend $1,000 INCLDUING a DX10 card...then I'll respond again. Are you in the market for a new monitor as well? that will need more tweaking as well...

First Things First, Hurry up and get this if you want Windows Vista.
Windows XP Media Center Edition with Upgrade Coupon to Windows Vista
Hurry up on this one, you can't beat that...two Operating Systems for $110, I know it sucks paying $110 for Windows XP at this point...but you get Windows Vista which will retail much higher.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116171

All The Top Rated Products here.
Intel Core 2 DUO Processor @ 2.13 GHz - $220

Motherboard with 8GB RAM Support with Onboard Video - $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128018

2GB of DDR2 800 RAM (ONE STICK) - $305
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231121

DVD+R/DVD-R DL Burner - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131039

DVD Rom Drive - $25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101131

ATX Case - This is pretty much your choice right here...I mean I don't know what you like so I won't recommend this one...but expect it to run about $120. Make sure it comes with a 500 Watt Power Supply...you are going to need it. Make sure it also comes with fans.

120 GB Hard Drive - $77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148106

Keyboard & Mouse - $20
Just pick whatever you like, I prefer Wired

So what are you looking at here...$1,072 with Windows XP...

$962 if you already have Windows XP. It's going to be basically Impossible to get a nice PC with a DirectX 10 Graphics card in the near future, but what u have here is an option to build for the future without having to switch out RAM Sticks or Video Cards. I know the RAM might cost more now, but it's worth it as that motherboard can handle up to 8GB giving you a very good amount of breathing room for the future and the option to upgrade to the Core 2 DUO EXTREME in the future if you'd like.

I also STRONGLY DO NOT Recommend a Computer Company for gaming...when you build on your own not only is the experience fun (I'm a nerd) but the options to upgrade are much better.

I also did not add a Hard Drive to that list...What kind of Hard Drive are you looking for? How Much Space bro? I mean You gotta drop the details...

Need a Monitor? What size Hard Drive?

Jewelz, the only thing I would reccomend is buying the ps seperate. Get one with at least 500 watts and dual 12v rails. Dont go cheap here, as a lousy ps can blow your mobo and cpu and gpu and any other cards on the mobo.

I'd give you this for $500

HP Pavilion (3months old)
model #A1640N
Intel Viiv w/ Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz, 2MB L2,
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2,
250GB 7200rpm SATA harddrive,
SuperMulti DVD Burner LightScribe,
Intel GMA 3000, 9-in-1 card reader,
10/100 NIC,
Win XP Media Center 2005
ATI X800GTO2

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I'd give you this for $500

model #A1640N
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2,
10/100 NIC,
Win XP Media Center 2005
ATI X800GTO2[/QUOTE]

Thats a hell of a deal. If I didnt build a desktop and buy a laptop in the last 3 months, Id be all over that. You may want to upgrade the ps (if it isnt some HP proprietary thing), and for about $350 you could drop a 8800gts in there and have a pretty nice rig.

model #A1640N
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2,
10/100 NIC,
Win XP Media Center 2005
ATI X800GTO2[/QUOTE]

That's honestly tempting... if I had the money, I would so buy that right now.

model #A1640N
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2,
10/100 NIC,
Win XP Media Center 2005
ATI X800GTO2[/QUOTE]
amazing deal.

Seems pretty cheap. You really selling that?

model #A1640N
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2,
10/100 NIC,
Win XP Media Center 2005
ATI X800GTO2[/QUOTE]

It's been said before, and I'll say it again...

Wait for Vista and DX10.

New graphics cards and price reductions on Intel quad-core CPU in less than 12 months (I have bought AMD for the past 6 years, but Intel is winning the latest and foreseeable faceoffs http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2xe/index.htm). Save your money, be a cheap ass, and wait. And then, in true cheap ass style, build your own.

bread's done
Back