Good place to get contact lenses?

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I've been thinking of switching over from using my glasses to using contacts. I have never used contacts in my life, but I thought I would give it a try. Is there anything I need to know about them before I get them and where is a good place to get perscription lenses? Lenscrafter? Walmart? Costco?

Are they cheaper then actual frame glasses?

You can sometimes get deals through Acuve. When I got my contacts at Costco they were the Oasis at about 40 a pack but when I bought 3 I got $50 back by rebate.
You also might want to see if a local eye center does contact lens or solution studies. Did one about a 2 years ago got 150 for doing it and a years worth of contacts.

Well, you'll need your contact prescription from you eye doctor.
The thing is, there are many options, depending on if your eyes have any special needs. Do you want hard or soft (disposable) contacts. Most people seem to be using soft, which are easier to get used to.
I've tried a few brands with many "extras", and found i prefer Accuvue 2's. My eye doctor charges me $19 for 3 pairs which are meant to last 1 month per pair. I usually use them for 2 months or more.
You'll probably want to at least ask your eye doctor what he recommends, even if you dont buy from him.

[quote name='levi333']Well, you'll need your contact prescription from you eye doctor.
The thing is, there are many options, depending on if your eyes have any special needs. Do you want hard or soft (disposable) contacts. Most people seem to be using soft, which are easier to get used to.
I've tried a few brands with many "extras", and found i prefer Accuvue 2's. My eye doctor charges me $19 for 3 pairs which are meant to last 1 month per pair. I usually use them for 2 months or more.
You'll probably want to at least ask your eye doctor what he recommends, even if you dont buy from him.[/QUOTE]

What I mean is that are these things simple to put on? Risks? as in irritation or if I accidently sleep with them still on?

It took me about twenty minutes to learn how to properly put them in and take them out again. Not a huge deal once you get the hang of it.

You are at a somewhat higher risk for eye infections, if you don't properly clean your lenses (Always wash your hands before you handle them!) or leave them in too long. If you have sensitive eyes, you might not be able to wear contacts comfortably. I have days where I put them in and have to take them right back out again because they're irritating my eyes. Other days, no problems whatsoever.

I definitely recommend that you go to an eye doctor and get fitted for lenses. A doctor will have lenses you can try. They'll be able to tell if the lenses are centering on your eyes properly and address any concerns or special needs. (I have an astigmatism in one eye and have to wear a weighted contact lens in that eye to compensate for it.) Once you get a prescription, you can order them from places like 1-800 Contacts and they're the same lenses you'd get from your doctor, but cheaper.

[quote name='ITDEFX']What I mean is that are these things simple to put on? Risks? as in irritation or if I accidently sleep with them still on?[/quote]

[quote name='MidnightRain']It took me about twenty minutes to learn how to properly put them in and take them out again. Not a huge deal once you get the hang of it.

You are at a somewhat higher risk for eye infections, if you don't properly clean your lenses (Always wash your hands before you handle them!) or leave them in too long. If you have sensitive eyes, you might not be able to wear contacts comfortably. I have days where I put them in and have to take them right back out again because they're irritating my eyes. Other days, no problems whatsoever.

I definitely recommend that you go to an eye doctor and get fitted for lenses. A doctor will have lenses you can try. They'll be able to tell if the lenses are centering on your eyes properly and address any concerns or special needs. (I have an astigmatism in one eye and have to wear a weighted contact lens in that eye to compensate for it.) Once you get a prescription, you can order them from places like 1-800 Contacts and they're the same lenses you'd get from your doctor, but cheaper.[/QUOTE]

yea I have astigmatism in one eye as well. Im gonna wait til feb of 2007 to see my doctor as I like to get new glasses every 2 years, but want to try something diffrent.

thanks for the advice.

[quote name='notoriousrcn']You can sometimes get deals through Acuve. When I got my contacts at Costco they were the Oasis at about 40 a pack but when I bought 3 I got $50 back by rebate.
You also might want to see if a local eye center does contact lens or solution studies. Did one about a 2 years ago got 150 for doing it and a years worth of contacts.[/quote]

I also got a $50 rebate from them as well. Mine are Toriq lenses though. If you buy a yr supply, I think the rebate is $100+. This quote was from getting it at walmart...but I'm sure costco could've given that kind of rebate and possibly cheaper.

[quote name='ITDEFX']yea I have astigmatism in one eye as well. Im gonna wait til feb of 2007 to see my doctor as I like to get new glasses every 2 years, but want to try something diffrent.

thanks for the advice.[/quote]

I have an astigmatism as well, and generally, my contacts cost more. You definetley need to go to an eye doctor, because they have this one spiffy machine that "maps out" your eye like a topographical map, so that way the lenses they perscribe fit.

Daily disposables are great if you don't want to deal with cleaning and storing the weekly's. Pop open a fresh pair when you feel like alternating between specs and throw them out before bed.

Sleeping with lens aren't recommended. The occasional doze off shouldn't be too bad, but do give the only eyes you have a breather. They do make extended wear overnight types that you can leave in 24/7 however.

1-800 Contacts and LensDirect.com are two online stores to look into if stocking up a year's worth, but don't go spending this money until your eyes have given approval for continued use.

May as well get fitted for color contacts when you get your prescription in Feb. It won't cost you extra and you'll have an addtional option just for the heck of it should the mood strike.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Are they cheaper then actual frame glasses?[/QUOTE]

Depends on if you need special lenses. If you are lucky and don't have astigmatism or anything, you can get the Acuvues for about $15 a box, so it would be about $120 a year. however if you need toric lenses, then you are talking about $25 a box, so a little over $200 a year. Plus you have to add in solution and all that.

Personally, contacts could be $100 more then glasses a year and I'd still get them. I finally got contacts 4 months ago after having glasses for 12 years, and I will never go back to glasses, unless I medicaly have to.

bread's done
Back