Good price for a not working PS3?

Cody2010

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
My friend got a PS3 40 gb that stopped reading discs or will sometimes read them and then freeze.

Whats a good price?
Is this an easy fix?

I was gonna offer him $60.

thanks

I'm actually experiencing pretty much the same problem with an original 60 GB PS3, where it won't recognize any disc-based media at all, but running demos/games/videos from the hard drive works fine. I'm 95% sure it's the blu-ray lens laser thing, so I'm going to try to replace it myself following this guide. The part(s) cost probably between $60 to $100 depending on whether you replace the entire blu-ray drive or just the laser lens. (To other readers: how do you tell if it's the laser that needs to be replaced or if the entire disk drive doesn't work?)

^ Of course, you run the risk of this NOT being the problem, and then you're out of money, time, and still have no clue how to fix it.

As to the price... how good of a friend are you? :D You should also figure out if your friend's 40 GB PS3 is backward-compatible or not, as that does increase the "value".

Dont do it. In my experiences, one problem leads to another.

(bought a broken 40gb with YLOD, fixed that ... found out it wasnt reading blurays, bought new laser replaced the old one ... still didnt work - wasted probably around $150 total + hours and hours of time , sold on ebay as-is for $40)

Well the worst it can turn into is a dedicated PSN and Netflix player or it could just YLOD on you too. Try talking him down to $50.

Thanks for the response guys. Im on the fence. I hate to invest a ton of time in gettin it fixed. Im good friends with this guy and he needs the $. Im tryin to get him to throw in a controller and/or gta 4.
I should know by tuesday If we got a deal.

Sounds like you'd be buying something of a hassle - almost better off just giving him $50 for his birthday or something, instead of buying a money-pit-and-possibly-never-working-right-PS3.

Recommend he put it up on CL for $100-ish, with willingness to come down to $60 - someone local can probably fix it and resell it - or eBay, and let the vultures flock to it. Set minimum bid at $50 or $60 and let it go.

bread's done
Back