Good Prices on Fullmetal Alchemist dvds

jfs_87

CAGiversary!
I was at Best Buy this morning and found these prices. These are all Viridian Collection so no little booklets.

Vol 5 - $5.99*
Vol 6 - $5.99*
Vol 7 - $9.99
Vol 8 - $9.99
Vol 9 - $9.99

*In store and online instore kiosk only.

Now all I need a Vols. 2, 3, 4, and 10

Vol. 5&6 has been $6 for quite awhile now. Thanks WTK!

Now this is the first I've seen of the drops on the others... If only ALL the volumes in the Viridian collection were $6 at Best Buy, then they're actually more worth it than buying the boxsets. I mean $50 for 16 episodes?!

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Does the seasons set have anything different?[/quote]

Each season dvd set has a booklet contains beautiful artwork from the show, character profiles, and comments from production staff.

[quote name='Bojizzle']It's all about bootlegs.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Heck, if you're going to do that why not just find a torrent or something online & download them. :roll:

Transworld corp (Fye, Suncoast, Wherehouse, etc) currently has the entire series for $100 total (B1G1F Funimation) . Or you can get the individual volumes for around $10 each.

[quote name='thelonepig']or, I don't know, if you want to support the US industry?[/quote]
Millions of people buy used, which is the same as piracy as far as the US anime industry is concerned. So its not just bootleggers & downloaders.

[quote name='Bezerker']Transworld corp (Fye, Suncoast, Wherehouse, etc) currently has the entire series for $100 total (B1G1F Funimation) . Or you can get the individual volumes for around $10 each.

Millions of people buy used, which is the same as piracy as far as the US anime industry is concerned. So its not just bootleggers & downloaders.[/quote]

It's the same except for the whole giving money to criminal organizations part that bootleg buyers like to gloss over.

The real crime is charging $15+ dollars for 4 measly episodes.

Seriously, if they made anime as cheap as America TV shows when it comes to DVDs, I'd be more willing to spend my money on them. But they don't.
And you can argue about licensing and time put in to translating and all that jazz, but hire a few people to drop some decent subs on it and release the original japanese tracks with english subs for cheaper. The dubbing is usually not worth the price anyway.
$20-$40 dollars for a season (at least 24 episodes) is reasonable. $20 for 4 episodes is down right stupid. I'm surprised anybody spends that kind of money on anime. I'm surprised the anime industry still exists in America with that kind of pricing.
Talk to any real anime fan and they'll tell you the only way to really see what's new and great is to download torrents with fansubs. You'd have to be pretty well off to afford to buy any significant amount of anime here in the states. Or you can stick to cartoon network and anime network, but you're not going to see the really good stuff.
I am impressed that cartoon network got Death Note so quickly, too bad the english is garbage and ruins the series, much like most other dubbings.

I'd love to see you live in Japan Bojizzle. Average price for R2 anime is $20-$40 for one episode of anime, and thats with possibly no subs, and in nearly all cases, no dubs.

Its a niche, so of course its not going to be as cheap as mainstream tv shows. If they were to start showing anime on primetime ABC, Fox & NBC, then maybe we might get some of those cheaper prices; but i'm sure it'll be a cold day in hell before we see primetime anime on the major networks.

[quote name='Bojizzle']The real crime is charging $15+ dollars for 4 measly episodes.

[/QUOTE]

That's wonderful and all, but cheap ass gamer is a deal site for legit releases. If you want the cheapest price for anything, the simple answer is steal it. What is better than free? This site and the majority of people that frequent it think that stealing is wrong. Buying bootlegs, is like the retarded version of stealing. You are paying for bootlegs that you could steal yourself online for free. So such posts about bootlegs and downloads are just straight thread-crapping. If you want to steal stuff, fine, but don't waste our time here with your irrelevant posts because we don't want to steal.

[quote name='Bojizzle']Talk to any real anime fan and they'll tell you the only way to really see what's new and great is to download torrents with fansubs. You'd have to be pretty well off to afford to buy any significant amount of anime here in the states. Or you can stick to cartoon network and anime network, but you're not going to see the really good stuff.
I am impressed that cartoon network got Death Note so quickly, too bad the english is garbage and ruins the series, much like most other dubbings.[/QUOTE]
No, talk to any real anime fan and they'll tell you to support the industry or GTFO.

Ten bucks says you're not fluent in Japanese and merely hopping on the "omg dubs suck lolz" bandwagon. This faux-elitist bullshit argument may have applied ten years ago, but bad dubs are becoming increasingly rare. Oh, and the Death Note dub is fine.

[quote name='Bezerker']I'd love to see you live in Japan Bojizzle. Average price for R2 anime is $20-$40 for one episode of anime, and thats with possibly no subs, and in nearly all cases, no dubs.

Its a niche, so of course its not going to be as cheap as mainstream tv shows. If they were to start showing anime on primetime ABC, Fox & NBC, then maybe we might get some of those cheaper prices; but i'm sure it'll be a cold day in hell before we see primetime anime on the major networks.[/QUOTE]
This pretty much sums it up. Might I add that, if you know where to look, anime can be found plenty cheap here in America without resorting to bootlegs. Not to mention the OP is talking about sub-$10 DVDs here, which is *more* than reasonable for nearly two hours of content.

You're comparing episodes to time of content and it's not adding up. Would you pay $20 for 4 episodes of Family Guy or 13 episodes of Family Guy? The ratio is not the same compared to mainstream television.
And yeah, I get the key word, mainstream. Anime is not mainstream, and probably never will be. But the American industry can at least try to match the content being provided with that of mainstream TV.
And it looks like they are. Gunslinger Girl used to go for around $60 for the whole box set, now it's around $30. It's nice to see that they are at least trying to compete.
And I have no problem buying anime movies, it's when I want to see the whole series and I have to spend upwards of $200 bucks for 26 episodes.

I would love to buy American boxsets of the shows that I like, but a lot of shows that I like have not come to America, like Monster and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. The only way to see those is to live in Japan or download/import them.

Anyway, sorry to spam this forum with this mess. That's a good price for Fullmetal Alchemist DVDs. How many episodes come in a volume?

4 episodes each.

Also your Family Guy comment, American cartoons rarely tell a consistent story over more than one episode or two. Japanese anime gives a full story in all the time it takes to watch all the episodes. So buying 4 episodes is enough to get you farther in the story, kinda like a movie. Family Guy on the other hand starts at the beginning of each episode and ends at the end of each episode. It does not carry parts of the story from the last episode to the next one. Also Family Guy is a lot easier to make than Fullmetal Alchemist is.

[quote name='jfs_87']4 episodes each.

Also your Family Guy comment, American cartoons rarely tell a consistent story over more than one episode or two. Japanese anime gives a full story in all the time it takes to watch all the episodes. So buying 4 episodes is enough to get you farther in the story, kinda like a movie. Family Guy on the other hand starts at the beginning of each episode and ends at the end of each episode. It does not carry parts of the story from the last episode to the next one. Also Family Guy is a lot easier to make than Fullmetal Alchemist is.[/QUOTE]
Family Guy will also do *huge* sales numbers, which even the most well-known anime won't even come close to. Bojizzle clearly has no idea how the anime industry works.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Family Guy will also do *huge* sales numbers, which even the most well-known anime won't even come close to. Bojizzle clearly has no idea how the anime industry works.[/quote]

You mean one anime show isnt showing on 1 major network and 3 other cable channels all between 10am-11pm rather than anime which usually gets shown between 11pm-5am? Because anime is supposed to be like Family Guy and all.

I think Bojizzle is just trying to take the heat off of his admission that he supports the Taliban and Al Queda by buying bootleg dvds.

Look, I realize that the anime industry is different than American TV shows, but that doesn't change the fact that you're paying the same for less content when it comes to anime than when you pay for American TV shows. And I used Family Guy as a reference but the same goes for other American shows that follow a story and only show on one network (ie. Battlestar Galactica).

And I rarely buy bootlegs, or anime in general because usually I rent it or watch it at a friends house. Is that supporting the anime industry? Not really. But I'm sure you're not going to pay for every second of anime that you see.

The same goes for any industry. How much do you support the movie or even the game industry when you rent or borrow them from a friend? You're not giving them the asking price for the content but you're getting the full experience.

And you have to realize that by buying a series that isn't licensed in America, you're not breaking any laws or hurting the American industry. If a series is licensed, I generally look for a reasonable means to pay them.

Ask CheapyD himself. He downloads American TV through torrents because Japan or America don't provide a reasonable means of watching certain shows.

If the anime industry is worried about releasing more than people are going to buy than they should do like companies such as Atlus and release DVDs in limited quantity to gauge what kind of audience it will pick up. When they see that there's a large market for it, then reprint it.

bread's done
Back