Good running shoes?

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
It's time for me to replace my New Balances, and I need some opinions on comfortable running shoes. I have an issue, however, for some reason I've been getting shin splints in my left leg. I don't know why, and it's never my right leg. Also, sometimes running ends p hurting my lower back (but other times it's fine). I'm wondering if the problem is poor form, or lack of cushioning in the heel. Either way, what are some of the best running/general purpose shoes out there?

Every running shoe is different. Each type of shoe caters to the foot/walking type of the person wearing them. What you need to do is go to a good shoe store, not one in the mall, where people know what they're talking about.

[quote name='specialk']i know a few runners who rave about the asics kayano (sp?)[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. I just bought the Gel Kayano XIII and I am loving them.

To the OP, you may be getting shin splints for a variety of reasons. How long have you had the New Balances? Most people say to replace your running shoes around 500 miles, because typically after that 80% of the cushioning is gone. Have you changed the surface that you've been running on? Drastically increasing your mileage?

I would suggest to also go to a running store to see if you overpronate or not. A good running store will have you take off your shoe and watch how you walk. I like the Gel Kayano's, a tad heavy, just a tad, but definitely comfortable.

I don't run so I don't have much say. But I agree with everyone that you should go to a store thats business is running shoes. I do love New Balance and feel that they are extremely comfortable.

Asics FTW! Really, you need to go to a sporting goods store and try on several pairs. I have wider feet, so I need a shoe that comes in variable widths. I use New Balances for everyday activities and Asics for running. Although, I did have a pair of Nikes in the past that were so comfortable I ran in them until the bottoms were smooth.

I use a pair of Brooks Burn 3 for my training and running. Good cushioning and decent arch support. Its also really, really light.
BSI41187.jpg

Every runner I have ever met told me that Asics are the best. New Balance gets rave reviews too.

[quote name='daschrier']Every running shoe is different. Each type of shoe caters to the foot/walking type of the person wearing them. What you need to do is go to a good shoe store, not one in the mall, where people know what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

This guy has it right on the money. You want the *right* running shoe for you, you need to have someone watch you run.

That being said, how much running are we talking about? If you're running under 15 miles a week, and you aren't that serious about it, the shoe probably doesn't matter that much, because you won't be in it too often. If you're starting to become a serious runner or training for a 5k/10k/Marathon, then you need to go out and get fitted becuase the wrong shoe can result in major injury problems.

As for the shin splints, their cause is hard to diagnose over the internet (and even in real life, for that matter), but lack of proper support from shoes is definitely a potential cause. Aside from changing the shoe, you should ice the shin daily after you run (if you don't have an icepack a pack of frozen peas works nicely), and take an NSAID every day until the pain goes away. You can also dig in and massage under the bone, but that's painful and not a lot of people like doing that. They can last up to two weeks - at that point if you've switched shoes/been icing and they still aren't gone, it's most likely a mechanics problem and you should get someone knowledgeable to take a look at your form.

Got any more running/training questions just post here or shoot me a PM.

[quote name='Xevious']Every runner I have ever met told me that Asics are the best. New Balance gets rave reviews too.[/QUOTE]

Typically they create the best shoe, but I personally have a niche for Nike, they make what seems to be more comfortable shoes for larger feet. When I was in high school, the only training shoes I wore for track and cross country were Nike, while spikes I wore were Asics.

I guess I should try to find a specialty store, but considering where I live that could be tough. I don't run too often, it's mainly to supplement strength training and to work to keep my bodyfat lower than it would be otherwise. I'd say a good 3 miles or so 5 times a week at a moderate pace (7.0 or so). I've had my NBs for a while now, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. I'll look into those Acics though.

[quote name='super d']I got the new nike air IV+ shoes and they are the best invention since sliced bread.[/QUOTE]

pics/links?

i run in new balances...had some nike shox but they're really heavy. more for looks than anything.

I'm running a half-marathon the first weekend in June, and I'm also looking for a decent pair of running shoes. I just don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm not that serious about it.

...basically I need a shoe to match my training regimen of booze, cigarettes, and fast food burritos, with the occasional three-miles on a treadmill. Something under $40 will do quite nicely.

[quote name='defiance_17']I'm running a half-marathon the first weekend in June, and I'm also looking for a decent pair of running shoes. I just don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm not that serious about it.

...basically I need a shoe to match my training regimen of booze, cigarettes, and fast food burritos, with the occasional three-miles on a treadmill. Something under $40 will do quite nicely.[/QUOTE]

If you want a legit brand-name running shoe, you're going to have to find one on clearance or at a big-name outlet store for under $40. Running shoes aren't that cheap, unfortunately.

None. Seriously. Just don't even bother going that route.

Everything has the color scheme of some motherfuckin' Zubaz.

If only they made a high quality running shoe that looked like an Adidas Samba, or a nice basic Puma - then we'd be talkin'.

Nike Shox....greatest shoe I running shoe I have ever had. Comfortable and light as air. I hear the Nike Air's (the ones with actual air in them for comfort) are really nice as well, I'll probably buy a pair of those soon. If you're talking tennis shoes, then I've been a big fan of K-Swiss for sometime now. Pretty much every K-Swiss shoe I've ever tried has been phenomenal, though I prefer their styles from 4-5 years ago when they brought back some of the classic models in a limited edition format. The ones today are good, just not as stylish IMPO.

bread's done
Back