Good site for Mac newbie?

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Well my friend's dad works for the local school and they updated their computers so he got a bunch for cheap. He sold me one for $20. It is an I-Mac from 1999. It has the Mac OS 9 on it. It does still have a bunch of crap from the school so I need to delete all the stuff and get it set up right. I've never used a Mac before and I dont even know how to check the specs on the computer besides pressing ABOUT COMPUTER on the apple menu. Anyone know some good sites for newbies to Macs (preferably older ones like mine). Also any sites with good free programs/games for the Mac?

If you are at 400mhz or higher, you're going to want to upgrade to OS X. There's really not much to OS9 other than just clicking through the "Hard Disk" until you find what you want. There was some little launcher application back on OS9 as well, but it wasn't very good and I can't remember anyone actually using it.

$20 for an iMac (even from 1999) is a good price though.

Hmm well this might be a dumb question but how can I tell the speed of the CPU? This is nothing like any other computer I've owned, the whole thing is just a monitor and there arent any keyboard or mouse ports, its only USB as far as I can tell. Also any sites for free software/games?

Try finding on the hard drive (apple+f when in finder to open sherlock) an application called apple system profiler. That would be the easiest way to complete info on your system, outside writing down the serial # and comparing product codes online.

Given that it's a 1999, you're probably looking at 233-333Mhz processor. What's the casing's colour and how many usb/firewire ports are available? Could give you a clearer idea knowing that.

[quote name='OiBoy']Try finding on the hard drive (apple+f when in finder to open sherlock) an application called apple system profiler. That would be the easiest way to complete info on your system, outside writing down the serial # and comparing product codes online.

Given that it's a 1999, you're probably looking at 233-333Mhz processor. What's the casing's colour and how many usb/firewire ports are available? Could give you a clearer idea knowing that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks looks like its a 333 MHZ. It says the disc catche is 1MB, Virtual Memory 64MB, Built In 32 MB, Video Memory 6 MB, and Backside L2 Catche 512 K. I wish I could delete everything and start over but I dont have the OS or anything so I cant do that. Also when I go up to the top with the FILE, EDIT, ETC and click.. it will sometimes select things before I even click them just by going over them. Is there an option thats doing this or what? Otherwise the computer seems to be running fast for such an old one, can these connect to the internet wirelessly if I buy a USB Wireless card? Thanks.

bread's done
Back