Good snacks to bring to work?

vietgurl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So I'm sitting here at work watching my coworkers all munch on fries and stuff and it's really really hard to be eating a peach around them. I need advice on good semi-healthy snacks to munch on while at work or I'm going to break nad end up going to grab snacks with them. Something besides veggies and fruit. Been bringing rice cakes but I'm getting sick of eating those everyday.

Oh man, now someone just came upstairs with chili cheese fries...this is just plain evil.

hunts_snack_pack.jpg
I'm eating one right now....cept it's vanilla...

Buy produce from a farmer's market. Grocery store produce ain't shit, and will drive you towards things like Pop Tarts and pudding cups with a quickness.

I agree w/ cornfed on peanuts as well, but with the added caveat that you just may find out you have a coworker who doesn't mind jamming their filthy, fat hand into *your* food without asking, whether or not you are standing in front of them. Yech. If you get some, keep the can in your desk. Also, cashews > peanuts.

I like to munch on Nature Valley granola bars and fruit snacks at work. If you have easy access to a fridge, maybe chips & salsa? Other than that, I just eat garbage like the rest of them :\

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I like to munch on Nature Valley granola bars and fruit snacks at work. [/quote]

Highly recomend the Nature Valley granola bars, I would've suggested it but now all I can do is recomend it haha...such a good aftertaste :)

pretzles, crackers, baked cheetos or dorrittos, popcorn, and my personal favorite combos( not healthy but good). oh yeah dried fruit.

The best snacks to bring to work are the snacks that co-workers bring to work.

... if you catch my drift. ;)

[quote name='Graystone']Jerky?[/QUOTE]I bring that and Slim Jims to work sometimes; I wasn't sure if they count as healthy or not. (At least for the Slim Jims, probably not, right?)

I have the same problem. I hate vending machine snacks and want to bring in something healthy to snack on. I think I'm going to start bringing yogurt and almonds.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I like to munch on Nature Valley granola bars[/quote]

This is exactly what I do. I eat a package in the morning and a package in the afternoon.

Fruit Roll-Ups! Made with 100% real fruit! Just make sure to bring them by the dozen, because you can't eat just one of them.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I bring that and Slim Jims to work sometimes; I wasn't sure if they count as healthy or not. (At least for the Slim Jims, probably not, right?)[/QUOTE]

Jerky is okay its low in fat, but high in sodium. Slim Jims are all fat, and salt.

Granola bars are great. A small plastic bag of mixed nuts also sounds good, along with a small cup of yogurt (a fruit yogurt, mind you... or even plain with fruit mixed in).

As you already said, veggies are also good. Popular choices could be fresh-cut carrot sticks, radishes, celery, sliced bell peppers. A medley of the latter sounds good to me.

Nature's Valley granola bars FTW!
They're so awesome, especially the Sweet and Salty ones. :drool:
Also, you could take some of your favorite cereal in a bag and munch on that or I'd too recommend those 100 calorie packs.

The thing with those 100 calorie packs are that those are just terrible value. I don't know, I think it's better to just take nuts and fruit/vegetables.

Yeah, they are very expensive for close to nothing.
Nuts are good, but fruits/veggies can be a bit loud and make you seem somewhat self concious.
You still want to blend in someway.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Yeah, they are very expensive for close to nothing.
Nuts are good, but fruits/veggies can be a bit loud and make you seem somewhat self concious.
You still want to blend in someway.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what fruits are loud, but I guess celery and carrots would be kinda loud.

But nuts are also loud, yes? And those 100 calorie pack cookies?

Simple: Unsalted Almonds. Almonds are the king of the nut family and are full of vitamin E and a whole host of other vitamins in addition to certain fats which are converted to Omega 3's.

Bananas are another fantastic choice, as is Fat Free yogurt.

Don't fall for the granola bar hype. Most of them are the candy-bars of the health-food world.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm not sure what fruits are loud, but I guess celery and carrots would be kinda loud.

But nuts are also loud, yes? And those 100 calorie pack cookies?[/quote]

Apples, Pears...uhm, well I guess that's it.
and yeah, those are loud too I guess.
I guess so far nuts are your best bet.

I've been bringing fruit and veggies to work. It's just sooo hard to eat while everyone around you (we're all sharing desks...no cubicles or anything) is munching on burgers and fries and stuff. The ENTIRE day too...or they'll end up going to the store to grab candy bars together (leaving me by myself for awhile while I try to resist the urge).

Too bad the 100 calorie packs just don't last long enough for me...unless I wanna eat multiple packs. I might try some yogurt for when I get a sweet craving (aka while they're eating their candy bars) and some nuts for the salty ones (aka while they're eating their french fries).

Argh, I usually have no trouble limiting the kinds of food I eat but it gets hard when everyone's always going out together to grab fast food.

[quote name='Graystone']Jerky?[/QUOTE]
I do that myself, thanks.

[quote name='Magus8472']I second wasabi peas. Hell, I second wasabi anything.[/quote]
Wasabi almonds! Now those are tasty...
311.jpg

[quote name='vietgurl']I've been bringing fruit and veggies to work. It's just sooo hard to eat while everyone around you (we're all sharing desks...no cubicles or anything) is munching on burgers and fries and stuff. The ENTIRE day too...or they'll end up going to the store to grab candy bars together (leaving me by myself for awhile while I try to resist the urge).

Too bad the 100 calorie packs just don't last long enough for me...unless I wanna eat multiple packs. I might try some yogurt for when I get a sweet craving (aka while they're eating their candy bars) and some nuts for the salty ones (aka while they're eating their french fries).

Argh, I usually have no trouble limiting the kinds of food I eat but it gets hard when everyone's always going out together to grab fast food.[/quote]

I know what you mean, at my old telemarketing job everyone would always be eating chips and Mcdonalds while all I did was drinking water.
...hard times. :drool:

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Apples, Pears...uhm, well I guess that's it.
and yeah, those are loud too I guess.
I guess so far nuts are your best bet.[/QUOTE]
Pears are loud? Really?

I have some granola bars and oatmeal packets in my desk, and sometimes I'll bring a banana or grapes or something, but lately I've just been drinking ice water continuously. I found myself eating all day, even when I wasn't hungry. Always having a glass of water and some ice cubes keeps me occupied enough, I guess, that I don't constantly think about food.

I do make an occasional afternoon run to DQ for a Blizzard, but that's irrelevant.

[quote name='Foo228']Highly recomend the Nature Valley granola bars, I would've suggested it but now all I can do is recomend it haha...such a good aftertaste :)[/quote]

I third Nature Valley. Also, the Kashi granola bars are really good too. Try the peanut butter and trail mix. I think you can get a free bar sent to you if you go to their website.

If theres one near the office, I would suggest going to wholefoods or another "natural" marketplace. Bring your coworkers along with you on your next outing. The store will most likely have "Grab and go" containers (Prepared entrees) and healthier snack options.

[quote name='defiance_17']Pears are loud? Really?

I have some granola bars and oatmeal packets in my desk, and sometimes I'll bring a banana or grapes or something, but lately I've just been drinking ice water continuously. I found myself eating all day, even when I wasn't hungry. Always having a glass of water and some ice cubes keeps me occupied enough, I guess, that I don't constantly think about food.

I do make an occasional afternoon run to DQ for a Blizzard, but that's irrelevant.[/quote]

Can you say you've never eaten a loud pear?
One that's just too much like an apple.
I have, often...I never get the soft ones...

Bananas are nice and easy. I usually bring turkey and cheese sandwiches on wheat bread to eat on break. The breakroom always smells like microwaveable popcorn so that's probably a good idea. Everyone else just eats Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, etc... BUT THEY'LL GET THEIRS SOME DAY.

I have a whole drawer full of snax at work:

834793890_9055b755dc.jpg

that picture is VERY outdated btw,

since that time I learned to hate granola bars... and I've rotated my chip & gummy selection

bread's done
Back