Good So-Cal colleges???

crazytalkx

CAGiversary!
I've applied so far to Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, and as my number one choice UC Santa Cruz but not sure if I'll make it in (3.0GPA, 3110 combined test scores, but no extracurricular activities). I got the whole first generation college student and minority thing going :D. I'm probably going to end up teaching, any recomendations from CAGs as to other colleges to apply to???

theirs UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis which I guess is So Cal. UCLA and USC if your a genius, but with your GPA most likely not.

[quote name='ph33r m3']theirs UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis which I guess is So Cal. UCLA and USC if your a genius, but with your GPA most likely not.[/QUOTE]

Ow, ahaha, I'm just lazy. I might as well apply to Santa Barbara since some friends are going to rent an apartment there. You're right though, can't hope to make it into UCLA or USC with this GPA, 4.0 at least, eh.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Ow, ahaha, I'm just lazy. I might as well apply to Santa Barbara since some friends are going to rent an apartment there. You're right though, can't hope to make it into UCLA or USC with this GPA, 4.0 at least, eh.[/QUOTE]

I've been looking at UC Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara, word to the wise aka you, Santa Barbara is rated as one of the top California party colleges.

UC Davis is in norcal. I was looking at socal school too, but I think I'm going to apply to Fresno State, UC Davis, and maybe UC Santa Cruz. And probably one socal school. I have to decide soon because the 30th will be here in no time :bomb:. I'm also debating between majoring in sociology or psychology.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']No love for Cal Poly Pomona?!

Unless you don't want to be that close to home. ;P[/QUOTE]yes, go broncos! new parking facility coming 2006-07 :lol:

i got into UCSB, but not UCSC, i thought that was wierd. being the dumbass that i did not go to UCSB and am going to city college right now, i am either going to try to transfer to UCSB (which i dont want to because i feel wierd since i was already accepted there) or Calpoly SLO (easier transfer requirements than the UC schools).

Cal Poly Pomona is a nice school, too bad the surronding areas are kinda ghetto. (True of most schools)

What is your major? My sister goes to CSUF too, she's an information system major. It's a pretty good Cal State, parking has gotten a lot better since the parking facility opened. Few other friends also go to CSUF with bio and chem major. Had friends that graduated from Cal Poly, or more like Cow Poly, as so they say. I can't really help you since I dont go to school in So Cal, but if you can get into a UC, good for you, and do it. It doesn't hurt to apply, other than those $55 per school fee.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']What is your major? My sister goes to CSUF too, she's an information system major. It's a pretty good Cal State, parking has gotten a lot better since the parking facility opened. Few other friends also go to CSUF with bio and chem major. Had friends that graduated from Cal Poly, or more like Cow Poly, as so they say. I can't really help you since I dont go to school in So Cal, but if you can get into a UC, good for you, and do it. It doesn't hurt to apply, other than those $55 per school fee.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the $55 fee hurts a crapload, I've turned in my applications for CSUF and CSULB and just need to finish up my personal statement for UCSanta Cruz and San Diego.

If you want to party all year, go to UCSB or UCSC. If you actually want to learn something and get a good job, look elsewhere. Check out Cal Poly Pomona, it is a good school and it's really not ghetto at all.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']What is your major? My sister goes to CSUF too, she's an information system major. It's a pretty good Cal State, parking has gotten a lot better since the parking facility opened. Few other friends also go to CSUF with bio and chem major. Had friends that graduated from Cal Poly, or more like Cow Poly, as so they say. I can't really help you since I dont go to school in So Cal, but if you can get into a UC, good for you, and do it. It doesn't hurt to apply, other than those $55 per school fee.[/QUOTE]

I graduated in fall of 04 with a my BS in computer science. I really enjoyed my time there and felt that it was much better then the short time I spent at CSULB.

Ok just need to do my personal statements (need to for wait for my friend thats going to help me out, brainstorming, proofreading whatnot) and my six applications are: ($330 oyyyy)
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State Los Angeles
UC Santa Cruz
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara

[quote name='crazytalkx']Ok just need to do my personal statements (need to for wait for my friend thats going to help me out, brainstorming, proofreading whatnot) and my six applications are: ($330 oyyyy)
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State Los Angeles
UC Santa Cruz
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara[/QUOTE]

theres also a pretty good college in the heart of the San Fernando Valley...Cal State Northridge

[quote name='Darwin23']theres also a pretty good college in the heart of the San Fernando Valley...Cal State Northridge[/QUOTE]

I'll look into it since I want to apply to as many as possible, mo' options. My first choice is Santa Cruz though, freedom from my family :drool:

[quote name='crazytalkx']Ok just need to do my personal statements (need to for wait for my friend thats going to help me out, brainstorming, proofreading whatnot) and my six applications are: ($330 oyyyy)
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State Los Angeles
UC Santa Cruz
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara[/QUOTE]

Unless you are really unsure what cal state to attend, I don't think you should waste your money applying for more than one, the one you want to attend. Unless you have like a 2.0 GPA and do nothing, cal states generally accept every good applicant. Considering you have at least a 3.0, you should get in to any cal state school you apply to. Of course, this is just personal experience as none of my friends, who were good applicants, were rejected into a cal state.

The UC's though are a bit more stringent on their admissions so applying to a few of those is a good idea.

I attend CSULB right now and it's a great school. However it's not much for partying (everyone commutes), and parking is just terrible. Classes (especially 100 levels from what I've seen) are packed. It just depends what you're looking for. Long Beach area isn't exactly cheap either, but it's cheaper than some surrounding areas. It's a really nice area though, not ghetto or anything.

[quote name='NineH']Unless you are really unsure what cal state to attend, I don't think you should waste your money applying for more than one, the one you want to attend. Unless you have like a 2.0 GPA and do nothing, cal states generally accept every good applicant. Considering you have at least a 3.0, you should get in to any cal state school you apply to. Of course, this is just personal experience as none of my friends, who were good applicants, were rejected into a cal state.

The UC's though are a bit more stringent on their admissions so applying to a few of those is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

I've already turned in my apps for CSUF and CSULB, the CSULA I'm on the fence on, pretty crappy area IMO, you're right about being easily accepted though. This thread has been pretty friggin helpful :applause:

bread's done
Back