Good time of year to look for deals on TVs

Central Scrutinizer

CAGiversary!
The Super Bowl and the much-hyped TV deals that surround it are over, but there's still time to find a good deal on one of last year's HDTVs. New models are set to arrive in stores soon, and there are (and will be) some good deals to be had as last year's models are reduced for immediate clearance.

I had been pricing for a while, and the best I could find for the specific model I wanted, the Panasonic TC-P50S30, a 50" plasma, was $798, which at least did include shipping. Some places were even advertising this price as a "Super Bowl Clearance special".

Last Thursday, I found that exact TV, still in the box (not a demo) for $628 at a local shop in New Mexico called Ballio's. I pulled the trigger and made the deal, since I had been looking for this partcular model for a while (and they only had one left). In case you don't know, if you're into online gaming, and want a big-screen TV (over 42"), plasma is the way to go, as it has much lower input lag than comparably-sized LCD displays. There is a greater risk of image retention and burn-in with plasma, but it's a lot better than it was five years ago.

This week, I have noticed that BestBuy is also offering that same TV, new, for $629.99 (they were asking $899.99 for it a couple of weeks ago - if you want the 60" model, it is now at that price point). In most areas, these sets sold out quickly once the price drop hit, because right now, prices are about as good as they're going to get...until next year at clearance time. I know a lot of people talk up Black Friday as the time to buy a TV, but frankly, the "great deals" are usually only for a few "stripped" models that manufacturers put out just so merchants can advertise them for the low "teaser" price. In some cases, you can't even find the actual model number listed on the manufacturer's website! Plus, there's only a few per store, and if you're not in line all night long, you won't be able to get one at the advertised price.

If you've been considering a new TV for a while, it's a good time to look for one. Also a good time to check out Craigslist for people getting rid of used TVs after buying a new one; I was able to get $250 for my five-year-old Toshiba 42" LCD, which reduced the total cost of my upgrade, including tax, to about $425.

bread's done
Back