Goodwill Online Store

2-3 years ago you could find stuff. Now its like Ebay doesnt exist and stuff gets way out of hand..

Can a purchase from there be written off though? That may be why it gets a bit higher than ebay in general.

I don't think the entire purchase price can be written off, since it's not a "donation" in that you are buying a product from them. If you paid way more than it's worth, you could probably claim the surplus as a donation though.

[quote name='Snake2715']2-3 years ago you could find stuff. Now its like Ebay doesnt exist and stuff gets way out of hand..

Can a purchase from there be written off though? That may be why it gets a bit higher than ebay in general.[/quote]

Prices are pretty crappy. I check occasionally to see if there's anything interesting, and while there is interesting stuff, prices always end up ridiculous. Maybe it can be written off, but I would doubt it as it isn't really a donation is it? Also, items are invariably "untested" and sold "as-is", so it seems to be a real crapshoot, and yet one that people seem to be willing to take.

I don't think shopgoodwill.com can be viewed as a "video game deal".

I've noticed from time to time that mostly all the good donations - Xbox360's, Wiis, rare PS2/PSX/SNES games - come from Michigan and the mid-west and sometimes Southern California.

What's wrong with these people?!

Donating premium X360's that Goodwill can barely test (they plug them in and see if they power on apparently) - do they wipe their asses in $100?! X_X

[quote name='Snake2715']2-3 years ago you could find stuff. Now its like Ebay doesnt exist and stuff gets way out of hand..

Can a purchase from there be written off though? That may be why it gets a bit higher than ebay in general.[/quote]

Donations can be written off, but not purchases, since you're receiving goods for your money.

As for this thread this isn't really a deal. I'm gonna move it on over to the Deal Discussion forum.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']I've noticed from time to time that mostly all the good donations - Xbox360's, Wiis, rare PS2/PSX/SNES games - come from Michigan and the mid-west and sometimes Southern California.

Donating premium X360's that Goodwill can barely test (they plug them in and see if they power on apparently) - do they wipe their asses in $100?! X_X[/quote]

I want to know what part of Michigan these rich people are in so I can steal their moneys.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']I've noticed from time to time that mostly all the good donations - Xbox360's, Wiis, rare PS2/PSX/SNES games - come from Michigan and the mid-west and sometimes Southern California.

Donating premium X360's that Goodwill can barely test (they plug them in and see if they power on apparently) - do they wipe their asses in $100?! X_X[/QUOTE]

I suspect the wiis and all the guitar heros are items returned to retailers by customers....more often than not, although not in all cases, the retailers then dump these off to third parties, either sold in bulk packages to resellers/ebay suppliers (here is 4 cubic meters of electronics returns) or simply donated to charities....A local goodwill of mine has been gettting toy returns from Target for quite a while now.

Nuts. I've been picking up a few things here or there for the last few years. Higher profile stuff does tend to go for well over ebay prices, but you used to be able find lesser known gems for a good price if you were vigilant. Now I'm not so sure.

The few times I've checked this site, I choked when I saw the prices. To me, "Goodwill" and "excessively high bidding war" do not go together.

There was another thread on here not long ago where a Goodwill representative posted on here, saying they're just trying to maximize their cash. Well duh.

[quote name='cranguy']The few times I've checked this site, I choked when I saw the prices. To me, "Goodwill" and "excessively high bidding war" do not go together.

There was another thread on here not long ago where a Goodwill representative posted on here, saying they're just trying to maximize their cash. Well duh.[/quote]

Actually, I believe that was my thread cranguy and I laughed at the alleged Goodwill representative who kept responding with almost the same shpeel(much like me with the guides and my now infamous GC bundle), so I just kind of humored the person and stopped responding after a while.

I found the site by accident one night, when looking for a store locator search function from the Goodwill/Salvation Army websites for my area. Shockingly, I found out that they BOTH have store locators, though like with any retail store, the locator may be woefully outdated.

Either way, I agree with everyone else, shopgoodwill.org is far from a good place to get stuff you want cheap, due to all of the people who will bid it up to ridiculous amounts.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Donating premium X360's that Goodwill can barely test (they plug them in and see if they power on apparently) - do they wipe their asses in $100?! X_X[/QUOTE]

Actually a LOT of these are donated from Target. Most often times they are customer returns where the customer decided they weren't happy with the product. However in this case Target might not of been able to return the product back to, say, Microsoft so they are donating it to Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc in order to get a tax writeoff.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Either way, I agree with everyone else, shopgoodwill.org is far from a good place to get stuff you want cheap, due to all of the people who will bid it up to ridiculous amounts.[/QUOTE]

The only reason why I even bother to look at ShopGoodwil.org is to read the bad product descriptions for anything electronics on there. You have to know that they are most of the time written by some hillbilly hick anyways.

[quote name='Demolition Man']The only reason why I even bother to look at ShopGoodwil.org is to read the bad product descriptions for anything electronics on there. You have to know that they are most of the time written by some hillbilly hick anyways.[/quote]

LOL I read some of those and had to laugh myself, since some of them are worded SO badly.

Best ones though, are the super common games/systems with the starting bid of $15 or so, which will be relisted for the same until they transfer it to another store(if they do like Salvation Army that is).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I believe that was my thread cranguy and I laughed at the alleged Goodwill representative who kept responding with almost the same shpeel(much like me with the guides and my now infamous GC bundle), so I just kind of humored the person and stopped responding after a while.

Either way, I agree with everyone else, shopgoodwill.org is far from a good place to get stuff you want cheap, due to all of the people who will bid it up to ridiculous amounts.[/quote]
Hey, thanks for humoring me in that thread, I really appreciated it. I love responding to threads pretending to work for various non-profit organizations. It's great fun! I figured we both agreed to disagree so I stopped responding as well. It was fun banter though for what it was worth.

I agree though, that shopgoodwill.com isn't a place to always find great deals.

OK color me fuckin annoyed. I re-registered with shopgoodwill.com, since I didn't remember my prior log in info.

So, I finally get up the nerve to go make a bid. The one auction says I have to bid $17.00 minimum to outbid the current high bid of $16.00.

I place the bid, confirm it, 'you've been outbid'.

It's not being sniped that gets me, but the fact that I placed MY bid today(12-15-07) and the fucking snipe bid is from TWO fuckin DAYS AGO.

Excuse me, but if your auction site says the high bid is $16 and I place one for $17, there's no fuckin way in hell you're gonna tell me that the g damned site didn't update for 2 days and suddenly NOW it recognizes a higher bid from 2 days earlier.

I'm checking out the dvds and game system/games sections and just laughing at how many 'good' items I've been 2 day prior sniped on already.

WTF....color me pissed off...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK color me fuckin annoyed. I re-registered with shopgoodwill.com, since I didn't remember my prior log in info.

So, I finally get up the nerve to go make a bid. The one auction says I have to bid $17.00 minimum to outbid the current high bid of $16.00.

I place the bid, confirm it, 'you've been outbid'.

It's not being sniped that gets me, but the fact that I placed MY bid today(12-15-07) and the fucking snipe bid is from TWO fuckin DAYS AGO.

Excuse me, but if your auction site says the high bid is $16 and I place one for $17, there's no fuckin way in hell you're gonna tell me that the g damned site didn't update for 2 days and suddenly NOW it recognizes a higher bid from 2 days earlier.

I'm checking out the dvds and game system/games sections and just laughing at how many 'good' items I've been 2 day prior sniped on already.

WTF....color me pissed off...[/quote]

That's whats called "proxy" bidding. That person could have entered a bid of $25 on a $15 item on the first day of the auction, only the lowest bid will be shown and will only increase when someone else continues to bid up the amount until the person's original $25 bid is surpassed. It's the same method used on eBay.
shopgoodwill.com has gotten way out of hand anyway. There are too many idiots that bid WAAAY too much for items not taking into consideration the high shipping costs goodwill has. Many of the used items sell at auction for more than you could get the same item new at retail stores.

It's a ripoff is what it is. I saw shipping costs on some items as much as $25 for stuff that should ship for less than that.

Of course, most of the stores place 'handling' charges on the items of 5% of the total auction. Even I don't do that when I sell stuff on CAG, but maybe I should, since that's an easy way to make additional $$$.

I just tried again on a top loading NES and the 'proxy' bid from 2 fuckin days ago was $25. So, I think for now I give up on this site.

bread's done
Back