Google Web Accelarator?

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
http://webaccelerator.google.com/

2. How does Google Web Accelerator work?

Google Web Accelerator uses various strategies to make your web pages load faster, including:

* Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
* Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
* Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.
* Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.
* Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.
* Compressing data before sending it to your computer.

New to me. Another soldier in the Google empire.

This "technology" has been around for ages...

It just saves frequently viewed web sites to your hard drive (which is much faster than your lame dial-up) - thus, when you request the page again, poof, it refreshes the page from your hard drive. So if you don't mind setting aside 500mb to whatever they recomend for cache, fine.

companies like Netscape and NetZero have been touting this as the next greatest thing for dial-up users and charging a premium for it. Give me a break. I call it a scam.

It's just another way to cache info. it does not improve actual download times, just speeds up repeat visits.

you can find a million freeware versions on the web.

Google web accelerator is free as well (at least, for now).

In the past 5 minutes I've "saved" 4.6 seconds. Each page really is just a couple miliseconds, so it's not something that is incredibly noticeable. At least, not with the couple of websites I've checked out (livejournal and a couple message boards).

Hasn't Google's Web Accelerator been having problems with certain sites? I remember reading something on GAF that it was messing with users game collections. I don't think I need it (run on 4mb cable), but was just curious and wanted to point that out.

There's also a bad side to this. It caches every single page you visit (although for only a short time period). Just like Google's Gmail. Check the terms of service. Using it is basically giving up all of your privacy. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I'll pass.

[quote name='Mouse']There's also a bad side to this. It caches every single page you visit (although for only a short time period). Just like Google's Gmail. Check the terms of service. Using it is basically giving up all of your privacy. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

Paraniod.

bread's done
Back