Goozex 50% off sale

You have to print "money" at some time during the constant growth of an economy. If Goozex keeps growing (through new members AND new games into the system) without adding more currency then you will run into deflation. As long as they don't print too much "money" and print the "money" based on the growth of their enclosed economy then it will actually help the site and not hurt it. That's economics 1o1 from Professor Clownzilla:)

The arguments about the Goozex economy are entirely valid. By putting more points into the system (creating more demand) when there is not any change in the amount of games available (low supply), they are deflating the value of their currency. Supply needs to fluctuate with demand, not remain fixed.

That said, Goozex did do something to combat this, though it seems I'm the only one who noticed it. They implemented a system that automatically adjusts most game prices to the point equivalent of the current going rate on the Amazon marketplace. This primarily only applies to retro/PS1/Xbox/PS2 titles, though, as it looks like demand still determines the prices of titles for the PS3/360/Wii. This is why over the last few months game prices have risen drastically across the board.

In regards to not being able to get new titles, I do my best to put newer things into the system having just traded a smattering of more recent releases (3D Dot Game Heroes, SMT: Strange Journey, Alpha Protocol on 360 and PS3, NSMB Wii, Super Street Fighter IV, etc.). I use Goozex primarily to get older games and have had no trouble getting stuff and using my points (I've received 446 items in my 2 years on the site).

Also, about 70% of the 176 games I have sent out have been brand new and sealed.

I was going to add that. Guess it slipped my mind.

That obviously as you get more users you need to "print" more money otherwise you're limiting the amount of points to go around.

However I see the site staying steady and not really growing. But it's steady. It is free ps3 trades month though.

But that's alright, because aslong as Goozex stays around it'll run fine. And for one reason. One reason I totally forgot about.

Games are capped at 1000 points so it's not like the new releases will go any higher. But you also have to look at like if points are in great supply then why bother trading a high value game when you can get the 1000 points cheaper? The main thing I've noticed with the points being infused is that lower priced games have gone up in value(generally) and it seems like some of them are harder to come by now. People using up their credit to clean out the cheap games.

Doomstink you're right. Supply is not matching the points coming in and that's what I was trying to get at earlier. There are way more points than games and that's evidenced by tons of people who have huge point stashes.

Still though, goozex will be fine. The site has one advantage, and that it doesn't rely on the owners capital or anything to stay afloat. It relies on users trading and buying games.

I've not at all been impressed by Goozex in the past couple of months that I have used it. It's very easy to get cheap points either via purchase or trades, but it's very difficult to get anything worth while. If you want a new game you are 400th in line for it, so it's not so simple as spending $25 and getting a new game.

I think the logic for Goozex is flawed. There are a variety of ideas that would make more sense in the business model, things that could be slightly tweaked to improve the whole process. The biggest problem is there is not much selection to choose from, and they need a better way of seeing what is actually available. The searches get you half way there, but there is still a lot of digging required to find stuff that is actually available.

Until Goozex has a major overhaul in how they run their business, I will not be participating. Too bad as I still have 90 unused tokens. Any idea what I can do with those?

[quote name='converse']I've not at all been impressed by Goozex in the past couple of months that I have used it. It's very easy to get cheap points either via purchase or trades, but it's very difficult to get anything worth while. If you want a new game you are 400th in line for it, so it's not so simple as spending $25 and getting a new game.

I think the logic for Goozex is flawed. There are a variety of ideas that would make more sense in the business model, things that could be slightly tweaked to improve the whole process. The biggest problem is there is not much selection to choose from, and they need a better way of seeing what is actually available. The searches get you half way there, but there is still a lot of digging required to find stuff that is actually available.

Until Goozex has a major overhaul in how they run their business, I will not be participating. Too bad as I still have 90 unused tokens. Any idea what I can do with those?[/QUOTE]
Just an FYI, right off of their main page they have a section called "Available Now" where they have a list of games that just came in and are ready to be traded out.

As for the tokens, I think you're SOL if you don't use them up.

Rather than sell points for cash, Goozex needs to put "bonus points" on sending in games -- i.e. get 50% more points for games you put into the system than you would otherwise. That would get more inventory in the system.

For people interested in 6-month to 1-year old new releases, the system is great, but if you are looking for the very recent stuff -- say Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- you are in for a very long wait. There is not a single copy available right now and there are 350+ active requests.

I used up all my points (about 6000) last year on older stuff as I'd had some games waiting for longer than 6 months and just plain gave up.

[quote name='kenn']Rather than sell points for cash, Goozex needs to put "bonus points" on sending in games -- i.e. get 50% more points for games you put into the system than you would otherwise. That would get more inventory in the system.

For people interested in 6-month to 1-year old new releases, the system is great, but if you are looking for the very recent stuff -- say Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- you are in for a very long wait. There is not a single copy available right now and there are 350+ active requests.

I used up all my points (about 6000) last year on older stuff as I'd had some games waiting for longer than 6 months and just plain gave up.[/QUOTE]

I just sent SMG2 to bb because I'd rather have credits that I can use on other stuff besides games.

All I've seen in this thread is talk about new games. How long does it take for you guys to get old games like SNES and N64 games?

[quote name='Sairou']All I've seen in this thread is talk about new games. How long does it take for you guys to get old games like SNES and N64 games?[/QUOTE]

Really depends on the game. I jumped one the queue of a lot of older games right when they were added so I was at the highest, first 5, and I'm still waiting for a good chunk. Granted I added probably 85 games and have received about 50 since April 1st.

Edit: Note those were NES/SNES/N64/GEN games.

[quote name='kenn']Rather than sell points for cash, Goozex needs to put "bonus points" on sending in games -- i.e. get 50% more points for games you put into the system than you would otherwise. That would get more inventory in the system. [/QUOTE]

Best idea yet. But it needs to be on just newer (last 6 months) games. There's plenty GTA 4s to go around for everyone - no need to put an incentive on games like that.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Just an FYI, right off of their main page they have a section called "Available Now" where they have a list of games that just came in and are ready to be traded out.

As for the tokens, I think you're SOL if you don't use them up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I know about that link and the search option, but it doesn't always factor in the wait it seems and the quality. The search helps limit that.

I'd love to see a spreadsheet of what is available and what the quantity available is by quality. If I was better at programming I could probably figure that out. I think that would provide an interesting bell curve in terms of the inventory available on Goozex.

[quote name='converse']I've not at all been impressed by Goozex in the past couple of months that I have used it. It's very easy to get cheap points either via purchase or trades, but it's very difficult to get anything worth while. If you want a new game you are 400th in line for it, so it's not so simple as spending $25 and getting a new game.

Until Goozex has a major overhaul in how they run their business, I will not be participating. Too bad as I still have 90 unused tokens. Any idea what I can do with those?[/QUOTE]

Why did you buy so many tokens for a site that you just joined? I bought 5-20 token increments until last month.

Also, my Limited Edition of Demon's Souls says you can get great stuff if you have patience. Something most of you haters seem to have very very little of.

[quote name='depascal22']Why did you buy so many tokens for a site that you just joined? I bought 5-20 token increments until last month.

Also, my Limited Edition of Demon's Souls says you can get great stuff if you have patience. Something most of you haters seem to have very very little of.[/QUOTE]

Jeeez dude, I don't even generally bother with the LE's of games because I just figure no one will actually trade them away. Looks like I might have to jump on that party wagon soon.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Jeeez dude, I don't even generally bother with the LE's of games because I just figure no one will actually trade them away. Looks like I might have to jump on that party wagon soon.[/QUOTE]

It never hurt trying to add them in request list. But beware, it can clog up your request list. The limit is 400 requests. The things that are niche, rare or vastly undervalue in points get traded a lot less often, so it might waste space if you don't get them for awhile. If you have the space, you might as well add it. You'll be surprised by the things you might get. I got a lot hard to find games. I also received a lot retro games that came complete in cardboard boxes(such as Snes, Nes, Nintendo 64 Gameboy), which people tend to throw out most of contents except the game.

I'm a sucker for a deal. I can probably end up using the remaining tokens, I just had higher hopes when I was finding lots of 3x flips into Goozex. I know there are lots of even to profitable flips out, plus I use it for personal use too, but it's a very unbalanced system. The fact they do this 50% off sale regularly makes things worse in the long term because it essentially reduces the value of a Goozex point so that 100 points = $2.50 or less. So you are trading your brand new game for 1000 Goozex points which they try to tell you is $50 but it's not even $25. That's the Goozex scam really...

[quote name='converse']I'm a sucker for a deal. I can probably end up using the remaining tokens, I just had higher hopes when I was finding lots of 3x flips into Goozex. I know there are lots of even to profitable flips out, plus I use it for personal use too, but it's a very unbalanced system. The fact they do this 50% off sale regularly makes things worse in the long term because it essentially reduces the value of a Goozex point so that 100 points = $2.50 or less. So you are trading your brand new game for 1000 Goozex points which they try to tell you is $50 but it's not even $25. That's the Goozex scam really...[/QUOTE]

So, how can that issue be fixed... Other than giving users with the games bonus points for sending out, I don't really see away... We should just make a competing site right here at CAG.

[quote name='jaybird']Best idea yet. But it needs to be on just newer (last 6 months) games. There's plenty GTA 4s to go around for everyone - no need to put an incentive on games like that.[/QUOTE]

Lol, Agreed. How about they create a a bonus trade in list for the "backlog" games i.e. the ones that everyone is asking for but nobody is trading in... It should help even things out a bit...

[quote name='jaybird']Best idea yet. But it needs to be on just newer (last 6 months) games. There's plenty GTA 4s to go around for everyone - no need to put an incentive on games like that.[/QUOTE]

They actually have something like this already. If you trade out a game within 30 days of release, you get some bonus points (200 I think, but dont quote me on the amount). I'd like to see this extended to 2-3 months, but at least they are trying.

My problem with using Goozex is not so much Goozex, but rather CAG. Many of the games that I've requested on Goozex, I end up finding cheap via sale, clearance, or glitch here on CAG. For me, the flexibility having GS or Amazon credit overrules any possible savings w/ Goozex. Still the community they have is pretty nice.

I'm hoping they have a free 360/Wii month as I'll likely drain out all my points then.

What was that scam that was trying to compete with Goozex on CAG sometime earlier last year? I know some people were able to use it good for a while but then it totally backfired on many others. I forget the name of it now.

Goozex keeps messing up their created economy every time they do these 50% sales. I've made that point already, but that will ultimately saturate their economy to the point where there are hardly any games available because everyone will buy up cheap points and no one will be selling. They need to give a better reason to sell your games on there, and they should probably have a balancing equation that so many games for a certain value should be available in contrast to the total number of points in the economy. When the points exceed the supply of games, give incentives to people to sell the games that actually increases activity.

bread's done
Back