Goozex Resurrected!

frogkopf

CAGiversary!
It looks like Goozex is finally on the mend.

They just recently instituted auctions on the site (under the Exchange link). Users with feedback of 50 or more can list their auctions for points and then use the points to bid on other auctions. All the auctions are full package only, so lesser stuff still goes to the queues.

Things are just starting to heat up, but the trade counter has almost doubled in the last week, and is going up by the hour. They've already had several copies of  Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed  III, as well as a lot of rare retro stuff and deluxe collector's editions. About 20%-25% of the items are new.

If you bailed in the last year or two because the site was dead, it might be a good time to get back on board, clear off your shelf of games gathering dust (or flip a Gamefly game), get some points and buy, buy, buy. 

There's been some point inflation over the last year, so you might get a bit of sticker shock at first, if you remember pricing from years of yore. That's all relative - games cost twice what they used to in points, but you also get twice as many points for your sales as you used to, so it all evens out.

And no.... I don't work for Goozex - I'm just a longtime member who has been frustrated at not be able to get anything there over the past year, and is thrilled that things are finally moving again, and I'm getting games.

I have noticed an upswing in trades.

Received three items in the last week or so.

Finally using points that have been stagnating for ever it seems.

Good for people still interested in the site. I finally got rid of my points and will never go back. Better for me to just sell on Amazon. I don't trust Goozex to survive, and even when it was working well I just ended up getting a bunch of games I didn't really need and building a backlog.

I think they just might make a comeback. I've seen more action in the last week than I had in the previous 9-10 months combined.

The queue prices are still high and a have lot of demand, so there's good opportunity to unload older games there to get a heap of quick points to use in the auction.

I still have quite a few points there, so I'll stick it out for a while. I'm hoping the auctions will give me a chance to get the games that I would otherwise have to wait in the queues for a year to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that too.  You still get a lot of value for your games though.  I traded in Uncharted 3 for 2400 points a couple of months ago and I've gotten Transformers WFC back for half that so far.  Pretty good deal since Amazon was offering $1 for it and nobody was paying more than $5 for it on ebay.

Trades were only like 650 a few days ago and are now in 1000+. That's probably because they now let people list their items for auction and people with tons of points are desperate to spend their points on anything. And a lot of these trades are for really old, common games that are probably fairly worthless in the real world. 

Goozex is a long shot from what it was, when trades numbered in the 1000s with just the normal scheme. I wouldn't mind if it picked up though since it was a nice way trade/get games that aren't in high demand elsewhere. 

It's definitely picking up there. Right now, there are 5-6 copies of Borderlands 2 up, and the auction option only went public on Monday.

Give a little time, it will perk up. Once people start realizing that they can actually get things back right away for the points they earn, more and more people will offer up things. I'm just happy to see some life over there.

I have gotten scores of games and movies from goozex all along, even when it was bottoming out a year ago. Of course, I always made an effort to get the great spots in line by being there on new release night every week, maximize my request list, and accept disk only when an opportunity to grab one of those items arises. I think with the success of these auctions that such tactics may not be needed anymore. There will be no need to work the queues anymore to be successful, you have auctions for immediate results. I'd prefer that the queues just worked the way they used to so I can just "set it and forget it" rather than scour the auction lists every day and deciding what I want to bid on and how much BUT I doubt that will happen. The previous owners messed things up badly in many ways so I don't think a return to those queue glory days will occur. Instead we have a great place and community set to delve into auction style trading. CAGS should really give it a try!

Resurrected or dying breath?

I hope they pull this off. I used Goozex a ton and I'd like to go back. Glyde is getting greedy and eBay sucks. I would welcome an alternative.

"It's definitely picking up there. Right now, there are 5-6 copies of Borderlands 2 up,"

bestbuy canada has tons of them, new, for $15.  A new user showing up on goozez is facing having to send out 5 games for lower point values in the queues before they can even list an auction.  If they are willing to do that, spending the money on shipping (or more if they use goozex marked up labels), they get a chance to bid on a used copy of a $15 game, which they will have to pay a $3 fee for.   Might as well just buy it, at the store other then those already holding piles of points

On ebay the market share of auction format (vs fixed price) has fallen every quarter for years and years.  It seems  most people don't want to bother with the game playing/waiting anymore.  Goozex has had some brief activity spikes before, for it to be sustainable they need to be able to attract new people.  I don't think this will look very attractive to anyone new

sure going to be interesting when (if?) they release their financial statements to see how much of the $300k they raised they have left.

I hope they pull this off. I used Goozex a ton and I'd like to go back. Glyde is getting greedy and eBay sucks. I would welcome an alternative.
Have you tried selling on the Amazon marketplace? I like it a lot better than eBay. I'm not looking for top dollar or anything. Just want to get rid of stuff after beating (I don't collect or replay), so I just set at the lowest current price and stuff almost always sells within a day.

A new user showing up on goozez is facing having to send out 5 games for lower point values in the queues before they can even list an auction. If they are willing to do that, spending the money on shipping (or more if they use goozex marked up labels), they get a chance to bid on a used copy of a $15 game, which they will have to pay a $3 fee for. Might as well just buy it, at the store other then those already holding piles of points
Actually the requirement is that they have to have a feedback score of at least 50 OR have 5 tokens in their account. So basically all they need to do is buy $5 worth of tokens and keep them in their account. This is to guard against bogus auctions.

They've also had numerous copies of Tomb Raider and AC III, and selections are getting better by the day.

Even if those games are being traded, that doesn't mean you'll get them anytime soon... unless you added them long ago. Currently, the PS3 version of TR has 54 active requests while the 360 version has 46 active requests. ACIII is a bit more reasonable with 11/15 active requests. 

But at the very least, this is the first sign of life Goozex has shown in years. 

Even if those games are being traded, that doesn't mean you'll get them anytime soon... unless you added them long ago. Currently, the PS3 version of TR has 54 active requests while the 360 version has 46 active requests. ACIII is a bit more reasonable with 11/15 active requests.

But at the very least, this is the first sign of life Goozex has shown in years.

??? You win the auction it gets sent to you immediately. This thread is about the exchange auctions not the request queues. But since you are on the subject, I got all of those titles long ago just via the request queues in a site that has no "life". Last of Us is on the way to me now (also no auction needed-I requested it).

Ah, I wasn't aware that we were exclusively talking about the exchange. But yeah, if you're got thousands of points then the exchange is probably useful. 

Have you tried selling on the Amazon marketplace? I like it a lot better than eBay. I'm not looking for top dollar or anything. Just want to get rid of stuff after beating (I don't collect or replay), so I just set at the lowest current price and stuff almost always sells within a day.
I have not used it. Maybe I should give it a shot.

Ah, I wasn't aware that we were exclusively talking about the exchange. But yeah, if you're got thousands of points then the exchange is probably useful.
Yeah, the exchange is the way to go these days. If you don't have a bunch of points, the best thing to do is go to Gamefly, get a couple of $10 games during their blowouts and get yourself 4000 points or so.

I Think things are only going to get better.

People have to understand that sites like Goozex require a little investment in loyalty. It's hard to "run and gun" on sites like this. I agree with Inky, I have had a steady influx of games even when the trades were low because I had something called patience and didn't need the newest games on day one.

bread's done
Back